Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    It seems like all of these new Honda products are supposedly capable of going 100,000 miles before requiring a tune-up. Well folks, given that these cars have aluminum cylinder heads, I wouldn't recommend leaving a steel spark plug seated in an aluminum head that long! If you do, the plug will become seized in the head (UGLY!! I've been down that road with a Mazda years ago). To everyone, I would recommend removing the plugs and coating the threads with an anti-seize compound LONG BEFORE 100,000 miles. The plugs might still be in good shape, so replacing them isn't really necessary. However, coating the threads is very necessary.

Now to my question....
    The 2.0 engine in the RSX has a decorative black cover that is held down by nuts. Underneath this cover are four ignition coils (one for each cylinder - right?). What kind of precautions must I take before removing the coil so that I can access the spark plugs? My car is two years old with 36,000 miles. I simply want to unseat the plugs, check 'em out (I'm sure they're good), coat the threads, and put 'em back. My previous cars have all had the conventional spark plug wires/boots, etc.
  • prguy77prguy77 Member Posts: 14
    rumored 2007 redesign for the RSX? I've heard on again/off again. I'm new to the forum so sorry if this has been brought up before. Thanks

JOE
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    Well, I guess the subject line pretty much sums up the question. I love driving my wife's 05 TL. The steering and handling are so precise that it is much less fatiguing to drive than my truck. Does anyone who has driven both have any comparisons/contrasts for me?

I'm also very interested in the redesign of the RSX that is supposed to come out later this year. Any word/pics/thoughts?

Thanks!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    an RSX with an optional turbo engine like the one in the RDX with Honda's SH-AWD. I know AWD adds weight which takes away from the tossable nature of the relatively lightweight RSX, decreases fuel economy, increases stopping distances... but there are limitations of what a FWD chassis can handle (the RSX's low torque output like my Prelude Type SH is perfectly matched for FWD). Just throwing out some thoughts :blush:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• iwantvteciwantvtec Member Posts: 5
    i agree with a possible turbo/vtec, that could be the solution for all these torque monster shoppers in north america. however, an LSD would be neccessary regardless of the chassis to prevent torque-steer. All told with some TL/TSX style should be a clean awesome car can't wait!

2007 SI Sedan- can't wait!!!
  • juicymoosejuicymoose Member Posts: 22
    I heard a nasty rumor that Acura is not making RSX's after '06. Is this true?
    Also, I was wondering what the demand was for 2006 base models w/ manual transmission and Jade paint? I know there is no answer for this, but I put $500 down and it was ordered from the manufacturer. I am hoping I can get it in a couple months. The dealer just got in a Jade w/ automatic but seriously...automatic?
  • dwryterdwryter Member Posts: 87
    > The dealer just got in a Jade w/ automatic but seriously...automatic?

Why, you young whippersnapper. Some of us old codgers still appreciate sporty driving, too. But our increasingly failing body parts, such as knees, hips and shoulders, make manual shifting and clutching difficult. On more than one occasion I've had to leave my 5-speed in the garage, driving my wife's automatic until some aching limb or joint stopped objecting to gearbox-rowing movements. I am hoping clutchless manual trannies such as that in the new VW GTI find their way into the Honda/Acura line-up before my next purchase. Cars with gears feel so much more responsive than their brethren with fluids and valve bodies and torqure converters. Meanwhile, juicymoose, enjoy your youth. It'll be gone before you know it.
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    LOL

I hear ya.

Although, I bought my automatic because of the heavy stop and go traffic I had to deal with on a daily basis.

I too am looking forward to more DSG's in the future.
    Hey no hard feelings about the automatic. I admit I only drive about 5000 miles a year as I work on a ship for 1/2 the year. Most of my driving is cross country, and I get my land legs back with a little clutch action. I'm sure I'll be looking for an automatic if I ever become a landlubber. ;)
  • clestypeclestype Member Posts: 1
    Hey, just got a new S Type last Wed. Man, is it fun. I'm going to need to make friends with the state po po in order not to loose my license. Anyway, a few Q's/ discussion points.

1. My dealer put a really obnoxious sticker on my bumper that I'd like to remove. Anybody know if it's safe to use mineral spirits? If not, any other suggestions?

2. What do you guys use to clean the cowl above the instrument cluster (that bumpy rubbery stuff). I just don't think Armor All is the right thing.

3. What's the best way to get the highest performance out of the VTEC? It's a very high revving motor, right? So As far as I can tell, you really need to push the revs to redline to get what you paid for. Agree? Any other tips? Do any other S typ owners really use premium?
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Remove stickers - I have used bug and tar remover or WD-40 - both worked OK - but it still took some effort.

Back in January of 2004 I looked at the RSX - ended up with a nightmare lemon Mazda3 - main reason I did not buy the RSX was the lack of side curtain air bags - (the low power output of the base engine didn't help much either -(I need the automatic). The 2006 Civic has air bags as standard now so I just assumed that the RSX would too. So I stopped by today to take a look at the RSX - from what I can recall from the 2004 RSX - it looks like time has stood still at Acura -

I would also like to know if/when Acura plans to upgrade the RSX.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " I would also like to know if/when Acura plans to upgrade the RSX. "

Last I heard it will be the 2007 model year. The Scion tC has been killing RSX sales.
    > Last I heard it will be the 2007 model year. The Scion tC has been
    > killing RSX sales.

Also killing RSX sales, at least in my case, are the reports of strut problems about which Acura is aware, but unwilling to fix. I had been planning to buy an RSX as my next car, but won't unless they fix these known problems. And even then, their delay in responding to customers' needs makes me leery. I wonder if Acura knows they lose sales when word spreads about lack of support concerning quality problems.
  • gps_007gps_007 Member Posts: 2
    I just took delivery of my RSX base with leather and auto. Honestly, I heard about the strut issue but it doesn't bother me. If you go to the internet and search you will find something wrong with every car on the market.

There is no question this car will give me 150,000+ miles worry free (knocking on wood). The RSX, like the Integra was, is pretty bulletproof.
  • eskribblzeskribblz Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone now when the new revise RSX is coming out? I want to get a RSX Type S but I would hold off if I knew a new version should be coming out soon.
  • eskribblzeskribblz Member Posts: 2
    its a must to use premium fuel in that motor. because of the high compression, premium is the only fuel you should use. If you would go to a lower grade it can cause detonation in the combustion camber and that could be the end of that motor.
    You say you just took delivery of your RSX. Just curious but how long did it take to get it. I put an order for a Jade w/ leather and 5sp mid-Jan. 2mon? 3mon tops? How much did they ask down? Mine was $500.

I agree too. There will be problems with cars no matter what. The odds however of getting a particular problem are probably pretty small (knocking on wood also).
    Use a heat gun and razor blade or putty knife. The excess glue you can remove with...well the best I've used is 3M adhesive remover. But you could probably find something cheaper. Careful if you use a razor blade though. Very slowly...
  • dpuetzdpuetz Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to this forum b/c I'm a new RSX owner...just 3 weeks of an '05 that I bought used (5800 miles) at a dealership. I did a lot of research, always do, thru edmunds, comsumerguide, & kbb before my purchase and so far thoroughly satisfied with my S. I tried the base model, but acceleration slow, ride rough, and driver's seat TERRIBLE for my lower back pain. 2 minutes in the S and I was SOLD!! I only have 2 real concerns (I had read about the strut problem on some cars)-- no side body molding to prevent damage from other car doors (believe or not, Acura does NOT make moldings for RSX) and damage to exterior finish (excluding chips of which I have 4 already!). The Acura dealer recommended a polymer wax, HAND applied. The moldings, I am doing further research to locate some generic black/chrome ones to install. Any suggestions?
    door moulding can be found here:
    http://www.dawn-ent.com/molding/pntmld.htm

The ride is rougher in the Type S due to the stiffer suspension...I'm surprised you feel the opposite.
    > Honestly, I heard about the strut issue but it doesn't bother me.
    > If you go to the internet and search you will find something
    > wrong with every car on the market.

True. What I look at is how widespread a problem is and how the manufacturer and dealer respond. The strut problem is common enough that some dealers are trying to find their own fixes, though others aren't. And Acura acknowledges it, but refuses to issue a TSB on it, or to help owners solve it. No argument, problems may occur in even the best cars. But I would be mighty unhappy if my nice RSX developed the loud knocking sound from the strut and I had no choice but to put up with it.
  • dpuetzdpuetz Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the molding link, nitro. I also found some generic ones at Pep Boys, black/chrome, that should look good...just worried if the adhesive will be strong enough. Going to look into a stronger adhesive for more permanent bond.
    My S ride is good except over RR track crossings...have to go real slow otherwise a real shake. No strut or noise problem here with 7,000 on it already.
  • vipinguptavipingupta Member Posts: 21
    Guys,

I am buying a 2003 RSX-Automatic. The first owner says that only one set of key/Fob is available and he lost other keys/fob. He also does not have any details like key# or key code. Any ideas if it is still possible to get a copy made of the existing key? I just want the key copied as one fob is enough for me. What are my options?

Thanks a ton.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    The dealer should be able to do it, but it won't be cheap. I did exactly that with a 98 Mustang and just the key and programming by the dealer cost me $125. With the Mustang, only having one key required the programming to be done by the dealer. With two keys, I could do it myself. The key cost $30 then an hour or so labor by the dealer.
  • gps_007gps_007 Member Posts: 2
    #1 complaint on my car is the door is very exposed to the grocery store minivan. No matter where I park it, somebody always pulls up a few inches from me. So far no dings (although I still have less than 400 miles). We also have a TSX in the family, same thing; no door molding. I've got a few dings on that car that stick out like a sore thumb.

To respond juicymoose: RSX took 3 months to arrive.
  • slayslay Member Posts: 1
    What is the size of the steering wheel (millimeters or inches) of the RSX Type-S '05 and newer?
  • eyebquickeyebquick Member Posts: 1
    I'm a little concerned that my acura dealer is trying to take me for a ride, and would like some honest feedback from the group. I just took 2002 RSX-S in for a 45K checkup - really just an oil change, tire rotation, and brake fluid flush. Dealer came back and said coolant needed to be flushed (although manual says it is required at 120K), 2 tires are bad although I rotate all the time, tire replacement requires alignment, front brakes are shot (back are ok), oh, and my windshield wipers need to be replace. Altogether, they want $1,200, with the understanding that eventually my back breaks and tires will need to be replaced at some point in the future - think another $800. What am I hearing here? Your thoughts are appreciated.
  • michiganman1michiganman1 Member Posts: 2
    Here is one man's opinion:

- coolant flush at 45K, I call BS on this one. Ask them for an explanation, and ask to see evidence. I plan on replacing coolant before 120K, but 45K seems way early to me.

- 2 tires bad, check the tire thread - you should be able to tell if they are telling the truth. P.S. if you do need new tires I urge you to do some research and buy a better tire than the stock Michelins, there's a lot better out there.

- Front brakes shot. Can you be more specific? Brake pads? Replace rotors? Machine rotors? What are they recommending? I would tend to take their recommendation on brakes - it's the most important part of your car.

- Wipers. Bought and replaced them myself from AutoZone. No big deal.
    Coolant should be fine at 45K

Tires are probably nearing their lifecycle. Get them on your own someplace else...ditto for the wipers

I had my brakes done around 55k for about $400 at my Acura dealer.
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    No coolant required ,or brake pads or rotors. If you do get a brake job replace your rotors,it's just a few dollars more.
    My car was in for30k service. I did need new Michelin's My Integra was hard on sport VR tires also.
    Eyequick is right on, go to VP and do your own wipers ,or air filter for that matter.
    Unless you ride the brake you should get 50k . I think the front brakes tend to wear quicker.
    I don't know this is my last RSX. I love the car,but my GSR was easier on the eyes. Also, I'm using 89 octane with the price of gas. No problems so far.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    It's official, the '06 model year will be the last for the RSX.
  • piper04piper04 Member Posts: 2
    Now that Acura has officially discontinued the RSX (after 2006), what do you think that will do to the value of your RSX? Do you think repairs (parts actually) may be more expensive in the future? If you are trading in in a 1-3 years, do you feel you will get less money? Or, do you think this will increase the value of your car (relatively) when doing a private sale? Any thoughts out there?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    been a fairly steady market for the Integra, then RSX, and there remains one now. Honda is only discontinuing the model for marketing reasons.

The point being, all those people who want one and will continue to want one in the next few years will have to settle for a recent-model used one instead. I think demand will be good - this thing has never been a lame duck selling 1000 a year or something, not at any time. I don't think it will damage resale that it's being discontinued, in fact it might boost it a bit. And resale is already VERY strong, as we all know.

As for repairs and parts, they won't be noticeably more expensive in future than they would have otherwise been. If you go OEM for parts and dealership for repairs, they were no bargain to begin with. But this is no NSX, it is a volume model that shares a lot of stuff with other Hondas.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• czpczp Member Posts: 15
    I've had my '03 RSX (base, automatic, cloth seats, 40K miles, good condition, original everything) for over three years. My husband has been driving it ever since we had our baby last November, but quite frankly, we could use two baby-friendly cars around here. After much consideration, we have decided to buy a more baby/kid-friendly Honda Pilot. My question is what kind of price do you think I could fetch for my little RSX in a private-party deal? I have had two dealers offer me $13K for it, but I think I could get at least $14K private party. Also, I am wondering if the RSX's discontinuation will help or hurt the sale of my car. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
    If you have two dealer offers at $13K, then you are right: you could probably get $14K in a private party sale. But there is certainly some hassle involved in taking that route, and with the baby, do you really want to hassle with it?

Just remember, this is the hottest time of the year for car sales. If you want to take either of those dealers up on their offer, don't wait too long.... :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    see now RSX is being discontinued. Price will proabably fall lkie a rock. That is unless you think it will become a collector's item
    RSX is being discontinued as part of a marketing decision to move the Acura brand upmarket, not because it didn't sell. Depreciation should be slow and gradual, as is typical for this model.

Even now, the only real competition the RSX has is the Civic SI, with boy racer "DOHC i-VTEC" stickers all over the place and the weird two-tier dash. There are lots of buyers that don't want that stuff, and they will seek out the used RSXs so they don't have to take it.

see now RSX is being discontinued. Price will proabably fall lkie a rock. That is unless you think it will become a collector's item

The(American)Acura Integra, which stopped production in 2001, is still quite popular even though it's now 5 years past it's last run. It maintains high asking prices.

Why would the current Integra (called the RSX in America ONLY) be any different?
  • vickatvickat Member Posts: 43
    Hi nippononly,
    my RSX base/auto'03 is approaching 90K miles, bought new.
    Second set of tires (ContiExtreme), second set of brake pads, new battery. Car is a joy to drive, sorry for Acura decision to do away with it.
    shouldn't we start new topic, "Life after RSX"?
    That begs the question, "can there BE life after RSX?" :cry:

:-P

• vickatvickat Member Posts: 43
    OK, then "Life after RSX or lack thereof"
  • djconnerdjconner Member Posts: 10
    I just got a mailing from my dealer advertising a supposed "super deluxe mega buyout offering!" or somesuch, saying that there's a big demand for used RSXs, and implying that they'd be giving much better trade-in offers for my 2002 RSX than usual.

I've occasionally gotten such mailings in the past for my previous car, a Saturn.

I tend to assume such things are 99% B.S., but is there anything to it in this case, given the model's end? Is this actually an unusually good time to "trade up?" Any opinions on the TSX or TL sedans? I've driven some loaner TSX cars when my RSX was in the shop, and was fairly impressed.

(And is Acura expected to introduce a new coupe of some sort in a year or two, or are they going to a sedan-only line?)
    I am sure it's total BS, they just want to sell you a new car.

And there will be an NSX replacement in about a year, but I don't know of anything concrete in terms of a more affordable sport coupe.

• hugh5hugh5 Member Posts: 5
    If you look into the Canadian market you might get an idea of the RSX's replacement..the CSX basically a Honda Civic 4 door with RSX running gear - 2l 155hp, 5 speed auto, paddles etc.

Actually a great driving car
    has always had a trumped up Civic sedan sold as an Acura, wasn't it the EL before? I doubt we will see such a car sold as an Acura in the U.S. - here Acura wants to "move upmarket".

• ricerocketts04ricerocketts04 Member Posts: 4
    im a newbee to the import cars and im just about to get a type s 04 i have been reading on here bout all the noises and things but no one is saying anything about the 04 doing that... does any one have that problem? And also im going to buy my acura from a mazda dealer so its not commin with the acura warranty is that good or bad cause it sounds like this car has some problems with noise.. i was just wanting to know if the 04's have break problems this car has 43000 miles on it is that good or bad for an 04? if someone could get back to me asap that be great...
  • vimaljohn123vimaljohn123 Member Posts: 1
    hey i bought an 04 type - s recently. I love the car. I didnt feel the noice as an issue, rather i love how it sounds.! Admitting the fact that its only been less than a month, i think its a good car.
  • ricerocketts04ricerocketts04 Member Posts: 4
    ok thats good to hear my friend works for acura and one of his buddy said that these cars are quote "rattle box's" but i havent heard anything on my car its really smooth. It also came with and aem air intake and exaust so thats a pluss. does anyone know how much hp u get usually off those two mods?
  • vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    I'll come at you from a practical angle. ;) I bought an '04 RSX brand new. It is the base model with the 5-spd manual. I've had it 3 years and 2 months. It is one fantastic little ride. :) I have 62,### miles on it.
    I change my own oil (synthetic oil only).
    The brakes were replaced at 61,000 miles.
    The tires were replaced at 52,000 miles.
    The only thing that really went wrong was the auto-up feature on the driver's window. It goes 3/4 up, stops, and retracts an inch (time to see the dealership).

ADVICE: Unless you are very patient, do not attempt to replace a blown headlight on this car. This is a job best left to someone with VERY small hands. You'll also need a mirror that can fit in a space that you cannot otherwise see. Otherwise, buy the bulb and take it to the dealership. From a maintenance standpoint, the headlight bulb retainer assembly on this car is the dumbest thing I've ever seen! :(

Outside of that, this car is GREAT!
This discussion has been closed.