Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• bobstbobst Posts: 1,783
    We drove a base 5-sp RSX, and it sounded a little loud. We also looked at an RSX-S. The salesman started it up, but we didn't drive it. I think it sounded quieter than the base RSX.

I guess the cars have the same engine block, but the RSX-S has a higher compression ratio according to the catalogue. That must mean the cylinder heads are different on the two engines, and there could be a real difference in the way they sound.

Do any of you know anything about this? Thanks in advance.

Bob
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    One thing the dealer stressed to me - which is in the list that revka mentioned - is to vary the speeds. That means don't use the cruise control for at least the first 600 miles.

The RSX and RSX-S are virtually identical (but not exactly the same) in terms of speed and HP for the first 5,500 rpm or so. So the engine noise content will be similar. But the Type-S has much more room to run (higher rev), so at stratospheric revs, the -S will be a lot louder.

The RSX is not meant to be a quiet car. If you seek quiet engine noise, check out the TL or CL. But of course that'll also cost you several extra grand.
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    Anyone know the (rms or peak) output rating on the amp for the RXS-S? Thanks in advance.

Darren
  • i think the peak power for the bose system is 200 watts... 100 of those coming from the crappy subwoofer.
    Gee, I thought it'd last for ever - a whole week and a half! I finally got a chance to wind it out. Wow, is that ever addictive. I shouldn't have tried it in the first place - now I want to rev it all the way up all of the time.

Luckily I don't have to, because contrary to popular belief, I've found that the engine has plenty enough low end torque for normal ("around town") driving.
  • Hello, I noticed honda Civic and accord owners have their own forum made specially to state what deals are out and how much people paid for their car before TTL. I was wondering if there was a forum like this for the RSX and if not, can one be made? I am interested in hearing what deals are out for the RSX type S and to hear what deals people around the US got.
    There was such a topic - it is now read only presumable due to a lack of traffic. This topic suffers from some of the same lack of traffic.

I just purchased an RSX-S in Colorado for just about exactly Edmunds quoted TMV (about $50 under it).
    Did you pay a 'dealer processing fee', which can run about $250 in our area?
  • Can a host possibly make that topic non read only? Even if people don't post in it on a daily basis, it is a great topic to have for all future RSX owners.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    To napapacoda and those interested - I started up a new Acura RSX pricing discussion. We'll see how it goes.

Also, look for a direct link to this new discussion in the Helpful Links on the left side of the page. Happy motoring!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• i got 200 over invoice. that was with absolutely no haggling. i went back to one of the dealerships where i test drove it. walked up to the salesperson and said. "i'll pay 200 over invoice." he said, "that's not a problem." the deal was consumated within an hour. they ran a credit check and the computer was down. there was a 45 processing fee and that was it. dealer holdback on this car is about 600 dollars so they made about 800 on the deal.

dealers are hurting. november-february are great times to buy cars because everyone spent their money on x-mas. i bought mine the day before x-mas.
    We plan to buy an RSX sometime this year, and I didn't know how much over invoice to offer. Since we do not include a dealer processing fee in our out-the-door offer, it means that you got yours for $245 over invoice, which is much lower than I was thinking was possible. I thought $400-$600 over invoice would be the lowest they would accept.

Do you think there was any special reason for your price being so low? For example, did you buy a silver car when they had lots of them in stock?

Thanks a lot for posting your price!

Bob
  • they actually had to get it from another dealer, because i didn't want to wait for their shipment to come in.

if there is more than one acura dealer nearby i would ask over the internet for prices. there you could haggle with the internet manager where the price is very concrete.

here is my philosophy on buying almost anything. i'm going to spend x-amount of dollars someplace. it might as well be their dealership instead of someone else's. plus they're going to profit from servicing it. try to milk it for all it's worth. i try to turn the tables around on them. they're buying something from me: loyalty, referrals, scheduled maintenance. since i live in socal, i have a plethora of dealers to choose from. there are at least ten within one hour away from each other. i know in hawaii that it's bit different.

dealer holdback is about 3% making it $600. so even if they sell at invoice they're making 600. i'm sure if i tried harder i could have got it for 100 over invoice. (my friend did this for his wife with a celica but he spent all day at the dealership) i got in and out of there within an hour. it took longer because their computer was down so they couldn't run a credit check.

btw. since it was x-mas week acura gave me 3.49 percent financing over 60 months.
    Wow, you got a great deal! I didn't know Acura was running special financing promotions. 3.49% over 5 years is awesome!
    Just after my RSX-S passed the break-in period, I fueled up. I wasn't driving like a maniac for that tank full, but I was driving like a guy with a high revving car that just passed its break-in period - not babying it any more, finding out how good it pulls at high rpm, etc.

Anyway, I averaged just about 31 mpg on that tank. Flog it some and still get almost 31 mpg? Yes indeed. Crazy, I tell ya.

The speed of the car and the pull of the engine is deceptive until you play with it a bit - a result of the relatively smooth power delivery that ramps up as rpms climb.

It ain't exactly a relaxed cruiser, though, as my wife pointed out to me repeatedly as she drove it. It's not terrible, with enough down low such that you don't need to rev it around town, but it doesn't loaf around like her Grand Prix GTP. C'est la vie. You've got to pay to play, one way or another.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,716
    I happened to be checking prices on a Honda with the Internet person at a local (NJ) dealer, and happened to notice the RSX prices. Base 5-speed, $18,712, Type S stick, $21,712. I think the base AT was about $500-600 more than the stick. Don't really know what this is related to invoice, but must be pretty close to it.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

dsm6, even though you were flogging the car, you probably shifted infrequently over the course of some 350 miles, right? If you did a lot of highway miles, then the few tenths of seconds you're i-VTEC'ing won't affect the mileage much.

But if you're constantly doing it stop light-to-stop light in a city, then you'll see a big drop in mileage. :(

stickguy, which Acura dealer (where in NJ) did you see those prices? Do they include destination charge? The prices sound good. :)
  • Imma get a acura rsx white but I don't kno what options I should get with it. Any suggestions?
  • I've been looking at the RSX S for a while now and I want to know if 03 would be a good year to buy or do you think the 04 will have more changes?
    I don't know what options you'd be interested in or even where in the US you live. But here are some options I'd suggest:

* Titanium interior (expensive, but looks cool in either interior trim)
    * Rubber (all weather) floor mats (useful in bad climates)
    * Luggage/Cargo net (useful to keep small items from rolling around in hatch)
    * Fog lights (nicely covers up those holes - and is 55 W strong)

Don't get mud guards, moonroof visor, or that crappy spoiler. Get a trunk tray if you like to keep dirty items (boots, etc.) in the hatch. Hope this helps!
    Since the 2003 model of the RSX changed virtually nothing from the 2002 version (except replacing Firepepper Red w/ Redondo Red), expect some more signficiant (but no major) changes to the 2004 model. Engine and body style should be similar, if not the same, but tweaks will be made.
  • Hey what kind of car do you drive? WHat is so great about foglight most people don't even get them and it get annoyin turnin them on and off. Why does the mud guards suck? I thought they prevent the bottom of you car from being dirty and rusty. I just want to know your opinions on these questions cuz my parent are going to get me one soon and I don't know what options I will need or make my car look better. The car is going to be auto with leather. I want white but I hear it gets dirty easily. I dont have a garage so I think I will get black.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    In addition to the feedback here, you may also want to check out Edmunds.com's The buzz and Future Vehicles sections. Good luck.

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    what folks think here about how long Acura will let this version of RSX run? They had the same integra for seven years ('94-'01)...will that happen again with the RSX?

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• How comfortable is this car without the arm rest? I'm a big guy and wonder how that would work out. Is there an aftermarket arm rest that will fit?
  • zombozombo Posts: 89
    I've been away from this board for awhile,but I remember early on someone posting that a company might make an aftermarket center console for the RSX. Is there one made by anyone yet? For the price of this car a center console should be standard as the absense of one sort of gives the interior a cheap look. This is a modern sports car from Honda's upscale division after all,not an 85 Civic.
    I'm fairly big guy as well. I don't have a problem with the lack of arm rest, but tastes vary so don't take my word for it. Give it a good long test drive if possible.
    I have a desert silver RSX-S.

The OEM foglights are not rated that great. But they look good on the car and are better than regular headlights in fog and snow. HID head lights are the best, but they cost $500-600 to get an aftermarket replacement. Mudguards belong on SUVs and pickup trucks, not on sports coupes. That's why I made that comment.

There's nothing wrong w/ an auto if you a.) can't drive MT or b.) need to share your car w/ others who can't. Especially if your parents are getting it, or at least co-sign for it, consider yourself lucky. White and black are hardest to keep clean. Silver is a very popular color, but too "faddy", IMO. The eternal blue pearl (EBP) is a VERY HOT color. I'm not a fan of red.

I like desert silver metallic the best, obviously, since I got it. But I will admit that it's probably the least flashiest of the colors. Also, it comes w/ a "titanium" (grayish tannish color), where as some other exteriors come w/ "ebony" (black) interior. Good luck!
  • acbeacbe Posts: 16
    I personally prefer the titanium over the completely black interior. My Type-S is Pearl white. You are right, it seems like I have to wash it at least twice a week for it to look clean! Although I do love the color next to its tinted windows...SHARP!!! Regarding the $500-$600 fog lights you mentioned, is that from the dealer? If not, I wonder what the dealer charges for that? Also-I just received a magazine from acura "Acura Style"....So what does everyone think of the new TSX coming out? Oh, and what about the RSX type-R...no word of that yet, if ever...
This discussion has been closed.