Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• joe249joe249 Posts: 95
    After the cracking and tearing of my last 3 Integs, I used Mc Quiers leather cleaner and softner.
    However,I think a good saddle soap or mink oil will serve the purpose to keep the leather supple.
    Go to a furnitue store like Lazyboy and ask what they use for a leather cleaner and conditioner.I got some cleaner and softner from them for my recliner and it works great.Going to try it on my S soon.
    Ya, I don't think the dealers do too much prepping.
    I had a clear plastic applied call stone guard to my type S . It's the same material put on propellars on aircraft.If you put it on your head lamps a 1oz.stone hurled at 100mph won't chip or crack it.
    Little did I know that a clear plastic is already polyed on your front lower unit and rear bumper. Go look at where rear bumper meets quarter panel and you will see vinal strip start 1/8 of inch and it covers the whole rear pan.
    I had it installed on hood and they screwed it up7/10/02 they are going to redo hood hoping it doesn't have to be painted out.
    To see the stuff go to www.xpel.com. Acura dealer calls it something else.Himler, I hope your'e reading this.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Yeah, I'm reading it, all right. Damn, that's a bummer! Sorry to hear they messed your car up.
  • willg1961willg1961 Posts: 12
    I've been an Acura owner for nearly thirteen years and I love my Type S. Recent events, however, make it necessary for me to sell. It only has 3,000 miles and not a mark on it. Is there any way to post it properly on these boards? Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Advertising is not allowed in our Town Hall discussions. You may want to check out Edmunds' Used PowerShopper - Sell, or perhaps try Ebay or Yahoo classifieds. Also from Edmunds Advice Section, here an article on selling your used car that you may find helpful. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • willg1961willg1961 Posts: 12
    I'm finding the leather seat a bit uncomfortable on my tail bone. Has anyone else noticed this? It seems like the seat is a little soft perhaps. Any suggestions?
    If you don't plan on selling the car right away, you could always find an aftermarket seat.

Or, you could have a chocolate milkshake everday with lunch. That'll definately put a little extra padding between the seat bottom and your tailbone! ;)
  • I went to a 2k trip this pas weekend, and I can tell my lower back wasn't confortable for this trip. Also my heavy friend made a mark on the back seat, just by sitting on a rectangular strip on his pants. The strip is made of fabric. It's like a superficial diagnolly positioned fabric on the side of his pocket. Now I have a big [non-permissible content removed] rectangular mark and distortion on the seat. The front seat seems to be harder than the back seat, so it was ok.

That means for long term trips wear cloth that are perfectly flat, expecially for back passenger.
    Anyone who can sit in the RSX's rear seat for 2,000km deserves either a medal for valor or a gift certificate to a chiropractor's office!
    You are right on!The lumbar support doesn't adjust properly and the seat has less padding.I'm yalking about the driver's seat.
  • None of my friends like to sit in the back. My driving style makes their head a window breaker or roof knocker:) They sometimes sit sideways, I don't take more than 2 ppl in the car for long ride.

Never let a heavy dude sit at the back:B
  • Obviously turning on the right side that is.

This noise happens when I go a little fast and sharp on the turn from an angeled or elevated side walk. Doing the same turn with slower speed doesn't produce that noise. Also this noise is not there when turning on the street.

I can't locate which side of the tire the noise come from. But it's a noise as if something is grinding against something. It doesn't sound metal against metal.

My friend with a Silver RSX makes the same noise(told me today).

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?
  • amonteamonte Posts: 12
    I purchased a 2002 Acura RSX about 4 weeks ago - love the car so far, but I noticed something very strange this weekend. The paperwork and the dealer both told me that the car was black, and in fact, it does look black. But when I got up close this weekend as I was washing it, I could definately see blue specks in the paint. Upon further investigation, I decided to check out the sticker - only to find that it wasn't in the glove compartment with the rest of my paperwork (this is a whole other issue)...

so my question is to anyone who has a black RSX - does your car have blue specks in the paint, or is this just the Midnight Blue color? I am still under the impression that this car is black - it doesn't look blue at all unless you are right ontop of the paint and can see the blue specks...

also, the dealership mentioned that the normal maintenence for the car suggests the oil not be changed for the first time until 10K miles - that sounds ridiculous to me. When have others been changing their oil on the standard RSX (with auto trans)?

Thanks.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Posts: 398
    Oh, we have a black RSX-S, and it does look a little blue under certain light conditions. Particularly at night under artificial light. I guess that is the way this particular paint is - I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

Oil Changes - yes, the manual does say 10K miles under normal driving conditions, and 5K miles under severe. I started with the 10K period, but after a couple of changes decided I'd rather go to the 5K schedule. Just to be on the safe side...
  • dom77dom77 Posts: 7
    Hi,
    My fiancee and I are planning to buy either an RSX (base model) or a VW GTI VR6. We prefer the GTI's speed and torque, looks (though the RSX is growing on me), and features, but we are concerned about reliability. We are about to enter 5 year doctoral programs, so we want a vehicle that will go at least 5 years, and hopefully more, without needing major repairs. I know Honda/Acura has a very strong reputation for reliability, but I haven't heard much about the RSX in particular.

Maybe it's too early to tell, but what do people predict about the reliability of the RSX? Consumer Reports predicts it'll have above average reliability, but doesn't give it the highest grade. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on this. Thanks!
    Neither of the two will be trouble-free, since there are always those "little things" that seem to go wrong. With proper care, either car should take you beyond 150,000 miles with minimal fuss, but Honda is recognized for making bulletproof engines (more so than VW, althought the VR6 is a very robust motor).

You'll get more power, utility and higher kit levels with the GTI. If you're getting an auto tranny, the VR6's torque is essential.

From what I have heard, the dealership experience at the Acura shop might be better than VW's.

Take each one for long, back-to-back test drives over the same route and then decide.
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    In general, I thought VW's reliability has been average while Honda/Acura's reliability is always top knotch.

Also, what is the price point on each?

Finally, does one car significantly outweigh the other?

On another note, on the VW boards, there has been a great deal of talk about dealerships and Volkswagon not backing up their products.

In auto mode, the RSX is a little anemic unless you use the autoshifter.

A friend of mine has the RSX auto and really likes it.
  • waydewayde Posts: 198
    I have owned versions of each car - 1998 Integra GS-R and 2000 GTI 1.8T.... let's just say I'll NEVER purchase another VW product. Had the car 18 months and was in the shop about 12 times for broken things. Wouldn't have been 'that' bad but dealership service is/was horrible. I have chatted with many VW owners (here in Mpls anyway) and they agree.

If I were entering a 5 year program, I would def. go with the Acura. BTW - my bike did not fit in back of the GTI like it did in my GS-R -- it's much shorter.

Any other questions, just ask.
  • dom77dom77 Posts: 7
    Thanks for your thoughts, himiler, kevin111, and wayde! We only considered manual transmission cars. The price on the RSX (base model - we didn't like the sound of the Type S above 5k rpm - for me it was like a screw drilling into my brain) was about $3k less than the GTI (the only VR6 GTI w/sunroof we found in the area was fully loaded). That was a consideration, and coupled with the reliability/service reputations, we went with the Acura. You certainly can feel the torque difference between the two cars, and the RSX isn't really as much fun to drive imo, but it seemed like a good compromise between reliability and enjoyability. Just need to replace the stereo!

Thanks again for your feedback.
    Congrats on the new ride!

Keep us posted on how it works out for you.