Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• amonteamonte Posts: 12
    I've got a RSX-base with auto stick and I've noticed a few unusual things about it over the last couple of weeks. I've had the car for almost 2 months now - one of the things that I noticed is that when I start in the morning and pull out of my spot, when I first put it into drive and hit the gas, there's a bit of a "lag". When I allow the car to warm up for 15-30 seconds, this doesn't seem to happen. Has anyone else experienced this?

The other thing I noticed is that the overall acceleration of the car seems to change - some days it feels as if it has plenty of pickup, while at other times it feels labored and sluggish. Does anyone else experience this, or know what factors contribute to it? Could outside heat/humidity effect performance? If so, would it be this noticeable?
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    You should check out Edmunds' Maintenance Guide for any Recalls or TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) that may be related to your acceleration problems. For additional (more focused) feedback..., you should also copy/paste your message into Acura RSX Problems discussion. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • bobstbobst Posts: 1,783
    After years of driving Honda Accords, my wife and I are considering buying a 5-sp base RSX with cloth seats. I sat in one yesterday, and the seats felt pretty firm. Has that been a problem for any of you?

The only experience we had with a car that had a very firm seat was when we rented a Mazda Protege several years ago, and we hated it.

I looked at the engine, and it sure looked like it did not have a cross-flow head. What's up with that? I thought all transverse-mounted Honda 4-cyl engines had the air intake in the back and the exhaust in the front, which seems like a nice design to me. Do you like the RSX design that has the fuel injectors, which might eventually leak, so close to the hot exhaust pipes?

Bob
  • ranaldranald Posts: 147
    Take a test drive. People and their opinions and preferences vary widely. I don't have an RSX but I rather want one, partly for the seats. I find them to be amazingly comfortable, but I like firm seats.

About the Honda trademark intake in back, exhaust in front... that used to be true but it changed in the most recent generation of Honda inline-4's. It seems with the intake in front and exhaust in back there's less piping to route (Honda's big on packaging) and the shorter/more direct exhaust path to the cat improves emissions, especially on startup. Plus now that Honda engines spin the same direction as everyone else's they might have an easier time selling motors to other manufacturers.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    See Acura To Offer Factory Performance Package for RSX Type-S

Cleveland, Ohio 07/11/2002 -- Acura will offer its first Factory Performance package for the RSX Type-S at dealerships nationwide beginning in early 2003, the company announced today.

The Factory Performance package features track-tuned shocks and springs that lower the car by approximately one inch. These shocks and springs combined with lightweight aluminum alloy wheels, 17-inch high performance tires, slotted brake rotors and performance brake pads give the RSX Type-S razor sharp handling, reduced body roll, increased cornering grip and enhanced braking performance. A rear wing spoiler, an under-body spoiler kit and an interior trim package featuring a Factory Performance shift knob and badging, give the car an aggressive, high performance look.

"Since the RSX Type-S is already so popular with the performance enthusiast market, it gives us the perfect opportunity to launch this exciting collection of factory high performance components," said Stony Furutani, manager of accessory marketing. "An RSX owner can now build a pure Acura performance vehicle with no compromises and without voiding the factory warranty on their car."

The Factory Performance package will have an MSRP of $4,800 plus installation. While Acura offers a wide range of dealer installed accessories, the introduction of the RSX Type-S Factory Performance package marks the first time Acura will offer a comprehensive high performance kit to be installed by dealers and covered under a factory warranty.

"The warranty coverage alone makes buying the Factory Performance package a smart move versus buying aftermarket parts," explained Furutani. "And since it includes only genuine Acura parts, you know you're getting the same high level of quality as the rest of your vehicle."

The RSX Type-S Factory Performance package will include:

- High performance, track-tuned shocks and springs
    - Slotted brake rotors and performance brake pads
    - Lightweight 17x7.5 inch alloy wheels
    - High performance tires (225/45VR17)
    - Factory performance rear wing spoiler
    - Under-body spoiler kit
    - Metallic look interior trim kit
    - Factory Performance shift knob
    - Factory Performance badging

Acura Factory Performance is a complete dealer installed accessory package that addresses the demands of performance enthusiasts by providing enhanced handling, aggressive looks, quality, and durability, while maintaining the legendary Acura driving experience.

Does this mean that the RSX Type-R is not coming to North America?
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I don't know, but $5000 is seriously expensive for that hardware, unless they let you keep all the stock parts to resell.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,398
    So the additional $5000 + whatever markup the dealer will try and charge will put the RSX firmly into $30,000 territory. They will only be making I believe 1500 of these.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

I'm not sure who would pay that kind of tab when you can get a near-loaded 350Z with a full factory warranty and far more power for roughly the same price. That should be a $2000 package, max.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    Pictures at http://hondanews.com/forms/images/index.html

I agree with both sphinx99 and nyccarguy, too much moola for this package. Yes, a 350Z would be a better alternative given the additional cost.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    A limited-availability, dealer-installed, warranty-voiding, $4800.00 "Performance Package" that does nothing under the hood?

Wow! I hope that price includes a sobriety check, because you'd have to be stoned to pay $5000+ for that kit.

350Z and WRX dealers everywhere are saying, "Thank you, Acura!"

Acura fans everywhere are saying, "Thanks for nothing!"
  • waydewayde Posts: 198
    I agree with everyone that this is a pkg that is waaaaay overpriced... but it IS backed by the Acura warranty.
    17" wheels should be std on the S model, IMO.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    "Wow! I hope that price includes a sobriety check, because you'd have to be stoned to pay $5000+ for that kit."

It's also safe to assume that the dealer will charge an arm and a leg for installation. $4800+install+markup? Even in Canadian dollars it's a rip off.

wayde, I agree that 17" tires/wheels should have come on the RSX-S. Even if that higher trim cost a couple hundred bucks more.

I see the RSX-S with Performance Package as a temporary placeholder until the real RSX sports car, the Type R, debuts in N. America in 2004 (latest rumor I've heard).
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    No way they charge $4800+ install, that would be insane - install will be included.. The kit is overpriced, but it isn't _that_ bad. I'm sure there will be plenty of people lazy enough to buy it, especially if they only have 1500.
    From the July 22 issue of Autoweek:

"...The parts come only as a $4800 package. And you will pay extra to have your dealer install it; shade-tree mechanics need not apply. The upside is the kit carries a factory warranty. Only 1000 of the packages will be available."

Okay, a warranty is included, but sheesh! Figure on at least 8 hours of labor @ $70-80/hr, and you're left asking yourself, "Do I have to bring my own Vaseline?" OUCH!
    That is insane, that might be the stupiest thing I've ever heard.
    QED, baby!
  • redline65redline65 Posts: 693
    Something I've noticed with Acura & Honda - whenever you buy their accessories you get charged labor for the installation. That is just freaking nuts. It makes me not want to buy one, knowing that you are getting screwed at the dealership.
    Yup. I remember biting the bullet on foglamps on my Prelude... ouch!
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    Acura: Base model. Add automatic and silver-metallic paint (no charge for the paint, like Audi or BMW \(>_<)/ ). Done.

Honda: EX model. Add automatic and, uh, silver-metallic paint.

There, that was easy. What's the stressing-out about? If you need $5000 upgrade packages, head over to BMW. If you really want a limited-slip differential, check out Nissan or Subaru, or go aftermarket if you stick with Hondas out of religous zeal.

If this sorry-excuse-for-an-new-autos market doesn't change by the end of the decade, the "Silver Bullet II" will be a RSX. >:)(Which, of course, is fine by me... standard keyless entry and automatic climate control, hmmmmm...!)
    But I think Toyota, Nissan, and Mazda, along with Honda, will get back to producing real sport coupes again. Dontcha think? >:(
    Speaking of BMW, we're actually discussing the $5000 RSX-S upgrade package. Interesting, huh?

(of course, that's before install, so shall we say, $6000?)