Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• I never wsaid i didnt like the RSX bcause of its platform, actually, its one of my fav cars. The only reason the Lude was so far back in that test BTW, was bcause Honda stopped producing them, thats the only reason, they had a lot of good stuff to say about it, too. What im sayin is that the Lude was a great car, so the should keep the spirit alive, after all, if they can make the civic's chasis so different and sporty in the RSX, why cant they do it with Prelude's? Theres my question. Really the only reason the Lude didnt sell is bcause Honda didnt car enough for it and put a 1990s interior in it, only reason. Noone has beef bout how it looks on the outside, NO ONE, or, its driving characteristics
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    Yes, it's definitely a ton of fun to go north of 6 krpm. :D

A couple friends and many others I know on-line have installed aftermarket exhausts on their RSX/RSX-S, and they claim it makes the sound even sweeter!

For me, right now, the stock exhaust's sound and performance is plenty good.
  • It's a fine car, and in a way, I prefer the looks of the 'lude to the RSX, but I think all the harping on the Civic chassis is unnecessary. The upside for Honda in building one chassis from which they can build a bunch of models is obviously cost efficiency. It's the reason why a top-of-the-line RSX-S is considerably cheaper than a top-of-the-line Celica GTS, for which Toyota built a purpose-made chassis. The problem for Honda with the lude is all of the competition right now in the grand tourer market. Their own CL-S and Accord coupe, the Infiniti G35 coupe and of course the Euro offerings, make it a tough sell to build yet another touring coupe to throw into the mix. The lude just occupies a tough segment
  • snaphooksnaphook Posts: 130
    Would RWD have helped Prelude sales? I personally believe it would have. A RWD coupe priced below 25k with a reputation for quality would have almost zero competition. I don't consider the Mustang serious competition because there is such a large segment of the population that would never even consider this car. In recent history the only thing that comes close was Nissan's 240sx. I would be very interested in the re-introduction of this type of car with maybe a little more power and slightly fewer amenities. If there ever is another Prelude I think it could fill this niche.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    I think they tried to compensate for a lack of RWD by offering 4-wheel steering. Apparently that didn't work.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Rest assured that I did test-drive a RSX-S for about an hour, and while it was spirited, the car didn't do much more for me than the GS-R I was already driving every day.

It was on the way home from the Acura store that I decided -- on a whim -- to stop and try a Prelude. Game over for the RSX-S.

You're splitting hairs by claiming the Civic and RSX don't share suspensions: they use the same components and design, regardless of an individual model's tuning. That was Honda's intent when they adopted the single Global Small Car Platform. Sharing parts saves lots of $$. Just ask Nissan.
  • dsm6dsm6 Posts: 813
    Hello folks. I just picked up a new RSX-S. Other than what little is stated in the owner's manual, do any experts out there have any comments about break-in? I'm wondering if I should avoid my usual mountain driving since it will necessitate some engine braking. Any general comments?

Thanks in advance,
    Darren
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Congrats on your new RSX-S! I'm no expert on the RSX, but as a rule, I've always been told that you want to avoid any kind of extreme driving during the break in period. That would include: quick starts, sudden braking, driving at full throttle, or driving at contants speeds for extended periods of time.

Since the break-in period is so important, mountain driving may not be such a good idea during this time, imo. Of course I always tend to take a more conservative approach when it comes to this sort of stuff. You may want to refer to your Acura service manager for a final opinion. Others here may have more to add.

Btw, weekends are a little slower around here, so you may want to give it a few days for additional feedback. In the meantime, here's another discussion from our Maintenance & Repair board that you may want to check out: How to properly break-in your new engine.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your RSX-S experience. ;-)

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • I am new to this post and would appreciate information on snow tires. My daughter purchased a 2003 RSX Premium with V rated tires. Has anyone experienced these tires on snow & ice on the RSX.
    Any help will be appreciated.
  • bobstbobst Posts: 1,783
    We drove a base 5-sp RSX, and it sounded a little loud. We also looked at an RSX-S. The salesman started it up, but we didn't drive it. I think it sounded quieter than the base RSX.

I guess the cars have the same engine block, but the RSX-S has a higher compression ratio according to the catalogue. That must mean the cylinder heads are different on the two engines, and there could be a real difference in the way they sound.

Do any of you know anything about this? Thanks in advance.

Bob
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    One thing the dealer stressed to me - which is in the list that revka mentioned - is to vary the speeds. That means don't use the cruise control for at least the first 600 miles.

The RSX and RSX-S are virtually identical (but not exactly the same) in terms of speed and HP for the first 5,500 rpm or so. So the engine noise content will be similar. But the Type-S has much more room to run (higher rev), so at stratospheric revs, the -S will be a lot louder.

The RSX is not meant to be a quiet car. If you seek quiet engine noise, check out the TL or CL. But of course that'll also cost you several extra grand.
    Anyone know the (rms or peak) output rating on the amp for the RXS-S? Thanks in advance.

Darren
  • i think the peak power for the bose system is 200 watts... 100 of those coming from the crappy subwoofer.
    Gee, I thought it'd last for ever - a whole week and a half! I finally got a chance to wind it out. Wow, is that ever addictive. I shouldn't have tried it in the first place - now I want to rev it all the way up all of the time.

Luckily I don't have to, because contrary to popular belief, I've found that the engine has plenty enough low end torque for normal ("around town") driving.
  • Hello, I noticed honda Civic and accord owners have their own forum made specially to state what deals are out and how much people paid for their car before TTL. I was wondering if there was a forum like this for the RSX and if not, can one be made? I am interested in hearing what deals are out for the RSX type S and to hear what deals people around the US got.
    There was such a topic - it is now read only presumable due to a lack of traffic. This topic suffers from some of the same lack of traffic.

I just purchased an RSX-S in Colorado for just about exactly Edmunds quoted TMV (about $50 under it).
  • bobstbobst Posts: 1,783
    Did you pay a 'dealer processing fee', which can run about $250 in our area?
  • Can a host possibly make that topic non read only? Even if people don't post in it on a daily basis, it is a great topic to have for all future RSX owners.