Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• nitromaxnitromax Posts: 641
    BTW, it's best not to over-clean a K&N filter. They actually filter better when they have a slight layer of dust in them. No joke. I think they suggest cleaning them every 50,000 miles, but I figure once a year (in the Spring) is a good time.

True. Funny thing is, their directions on cleaning say every 50,000 or once a year. Nobody I know ever drives 50k a year, but they must just say that so it will get an annual cleaning.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Although you don't really know me, I drive ~75K miles every year.
    Although you don't really know me, I drive ~75K miles every year.

hmmm...let me reiterate.

"Almost" everyone I know drives less than 50k per year.
    :-)

Those are some serious miles. What's your odometer reading now?
    112K and change. It's a lot of fun.
  • If I'm carrying more than one passenger, I'm usually not going more than a few miles. For those short trips, I haven't really heard any complaints. I wouldn't want to shove a six-footer back there for more than 15-20 minutes though. Also, the driver seat doesn't slide forward, so it becomes somewhat of a pain in the butt to offload more than one rear-seat passenger. Still, the seats work, and if rear-seat comfort was a big criteria for me in my shopping, I would have bought a Camry.
    If I'm carrying more than one passenger, I'm usually not going more than a few miles. For those short trips, I haven't really heard any complaints. I wouldn't want to shove a six-footer back there for more than 15-20 minutes though. Also, the driver seat doesn't slide forward, so it becomes somewhat of a pain in the butt to offload more than one rear-seat passenger.

I agree with what you said.

Just so as not to confuse interested buyers, the drivers seat DOES slide forward, it just doesn't have the "super slide" that the passenger seat does. Most passenger cars have this "super slide" feature on only the passenger seat anyways.
  • I haven't purchased my RSX yet but probably will within the week. Just out of curiosity, has anyone had any problems getting their RSX serviced at a Honda dealer? The dealer says yes, they can do this. My nearest Acura dealer is 100 miles away. Nearest Honda dealer about 10, hence the question.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    Part 1: Thanks for your reply. I'm very tempted to get the K&N filter since I do plan to keep the stock filter assembly. I will most likely replace my stock air filter w/ the K&N one once my stock filter is dirty. I guess that would be around 20-25 kmi.? I feel guilty replacing my stock filter so soon (I'm only at 9 kmi.) while it would be so clean. So K&N in my car by Summer 2004?

Part 2: I think what silverrsx1 was saying is that the driver side seat does not slide forward by simply tilting the seat forward. You have to actually push the lever up. But for the passenger side, all one has to do is tilt the seat and the seat slides forward.
    Having your Acura serviced at the local Honda shop shouldn't be a problem.
  • kestrel02kestrel02 Posts: 26
    I was checking Edmunds TMV for the 2002 RSX and it seemed very low to me. I've noticed that non-S types tend to sell for 18-20K around here, apparently based on KBB which is 20ish. But Edmunds TMV shows 15,850 for dealer retail? What's the deal here? Can you really haggle the prices that much or I am getting bad feedback from the TMV calculator?
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    "I've noticed that non-S types tend to sell for 18-20K around here, apparently based on KBB which is 20ish."

A couple things to note:

Edmunds' TMV 2002 RSX pricing is used vehicle pricing; also, it's based on the average (regional) cost of vehicles sold over a given period of time.

Pricing will vary from city to city depending on availability and local market demand. Learn more about TMV here.

As for KBB pricing, you may want to read this article on how they determine their pricing.

Are you in the market for a used 2002 RSX? Perhaps try looking a little further out... for a better price. Also, you may want to let people here know what area you're in, so they can offer feedback on the pricing they've seen.... Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • cxw267cxw267 Posts: 2
    in the market for my first new car, and have been seriously considering the auto RSX. Got to test drive one this weekend, and loved it! About the only thing I keep in my current '93 camry that takes up space is a golf bag during the summer. Any chance in that fitting in the trunk without putting one of the seats down and having it half in the back seat? I'm having a hard time remembering the relative trunk size. Rarely carry any more than one person, so the small size is otherwise not an issue.
  • kestrel02kestrel02 Posts: 26
    Thanks for the reply Revka. I'm sort of looking around at the moment, and though I don't think the prices on the new 2003s are too bad, I figured I'd check on the 2002s. It just threw me because normally the used car TMVs are not so different from the prices people are charging. I found that both dealers and private sales (in the 8-10 listings I checked) were consistently charging 4-5K higher than TMV. This is here in the Raleigh, NC area. Obviously I have to deal with the prices I can reasonably get in my area, it could be that, for me, the used car TMVs will not be as useful as the new car ones are.
  • vickatvickat Posts: 43
    Hi everyone,
    I'm about to buy a base RSX, but a few questions still lingering:
    1. I live in NY upsate, plenty of snow, sleet, ice. How does RSX in the snow, being nose-heavy, with wide stock tires?
    2. Problems with 2nd gear are related to 5sp or 6sp exclusively?
    3. How well automanual tranny works?

many thanks - Victor
    About the only thing I keep in my current '93 camry that takes up space is a golf bag during the summer. Any chance in that fitting in the trunk without putting one of the seats down and having it half in the back seat? I'm having a hard time remembering the relative trunk size. Rarely carry any more than one person, so the small size is otherwise not an issue.

I have yet to try transporting my golf bag in the back of my RSX, but I don't think it will fit without dropping one of the seats.

However, just in case you're wondering, a mountain bike does fit in the hatch with both seats down.
    1. I live in NY upsate, plenty of snow, sleet, ice. How does RSX in the snow, being nose-heavy, with wide stock tires?

The stock tires are not that good for snow travel. If I were you, I would do what most people should do in the winter, and that is invest in a good set of snow tires...perhaps some Nokkian Hakka's. Then you won't have a problem.

The problems with the second gear is only with the manuals. In fact, I have heard conflicting reports about the problem just being a matter of letting the car(tranny) warm up properly before attempting fast shifts.
    (Not sure what the true story is though)

My auto tranny has worked flawlessly.(currently at 38,000 +) In cold weather....or when the car is not warmed up, it shifts slowly, but that is to be expected. I use the sport shift option quite frequently also...about 70% of the time. I also don't normally take it up to the redline either, and usually shift around 5,000 rpms depending on my mood.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Posts: 398

1. The stock tires are not that great on snow. Otherwise there's nothing inherently wrong with the car.

2. Yes.

3. Don't know (I have the manual S type).
  • tnjrobi1tnjrobi1 Posts: 41
    I just bought my new 2003 RSX-S Saturday. It's black on black.

It had 47 miles on it before my test drive. I ended up paying full sticker (23,770.00) for the vehicle, but they gave me 1,000 more for my trade than what it was worth (according to www.kbb.com.) (So I guess you could say I got the new RSX-S at 1,000 off sticker.)

It's a great car. I have no complaints, but I wish the fog lights would have come standard. (I'll probably go back after a couple of months and have them installed.)

I do have a few questions about the break-in period.

1. Is 600 miles long enough for the break-in?

2. What is the max RPM I should take it to during break-in?

3. What are any other tips for the break-in period?
    First off, congratulations on your new car. Even though mine is only an auto, It is a blast to drive. I have 38,000 extremely happy miles logged.

I do have a few questions about the break-in period.

1. Is 600 miles long enough for the break-in?

I've heard that 600 miles is a good number to use for your break in period.

2. What is the max RPM I should take it to during break-in?

You should try to keep your rpms down around 3000 for the first 600 miles to play it safe. After that, slowly work your way up the rpm band until your max. (perhaps a week of rpms reaching 4000, another week of 5000....and so on)I know it sounds hard to do, but the benefits will pay off in the long run.

3. What are any other tips for the break-in period?

Don't change your oil too early. Some people say 3500 miles, some say 5000 miles. Some even say earlier and later than those numbers.
    From what I've heard, there is a special additive in the oil to help the break-in process...the sooner you take that out, the worse your engine will be. Of course, leaving it in too long will hurt your engine also because it won't be getting it's proper lubrication. I went by what the manual said and by what my dealer said and had it changed around 4000 miles. I figured that if something did go wrong, it would be their fault.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    vickat:
    The RSX isn't really that nose-heavy; it's only got a 2.0 four-cylinder engine! But the stock tires do suck, rain, shine, or snow. Just drive it easy during inclement weather.

nitromax:
    If you rarely have passenger in the rear seats, why are you hesitating folding one down to fit your golf bag?

tnjrobi1:
    Congrats on your car! You've got the newest RSX-S in this forum! My dealer also told me about the 600 mile break-in. To be safe, I extended that to 1,000 miles.

More important that not revving the engine too hard is to vary your speed: do not use cruise control. You can probably go to 4 krpm even now w/o causing any long term damage. Also, the manual says to change the oil every 5 to 10 thousand miles, so no need to change it any sooner!