Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    For anyone interested, my insurance quote for an '02 RSX Type S is only about $10/month more than my current '01 PF. Same coverage.
  • nitromaxnitromax Posts: 641
    Does anyone else have trouble getting comfortable in the drivers seat?

When trying to get the seat & steering wheel adjusted for driving it seems I can't get comfortable.

It took me awhile to get used to the seats also. Although now at 45,000 miles, I can't remember when they stopped being uncomfortable and started being cozy. I think it was somewhere around 5-10,000 miles.
    It would have been nice to have a telescoping steering wheel...that might have made the transition easier.
    Hey folks, I'm looking over a 9 month old '02 type S this weekend. Wondering if any of you folks have any advice, based on what you've seen as an owner, for what I should check out...any known weaknesses, if you will. I'm not aware of any for the RSX.

If it's as good as the pictures look and there are no problems, I plan to make an offer.

Not many that haven't already been suggested (notchiness, oil leaks). All I can say is note who the seller is and question why they are selling it. Not to upset anybody, but the age of the seller may speak volumes about the quality of the car.
    Perhaps you could find out if it was brought in for it's regular checkups (I still bring mine in every 5,000 miles) and if so, find out from the dealer what was done.

I say this because some RSX S's have had engine/tranny problems due to over-revving and such....mainly due to the type of person driving the car. Whether it be an inexperienced driver or someone who liked to race it.

Another thing that you might lok at if racing was suspect is scratches in the engine area from aftermarket parts being put on and taken off.

Nonetheless, hope all is well with your purchase and you have as much pleasure with your new car as I have had with miine.
  • radrodradrod Posts: 4
    Just hit 18K last night on my 2002 type S.

So far, so good...
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    hello, iam considering a base model rsx in auto matic and i have read in other forums'
    that the stereo sound quality is not the best in either model rsx. also complaints regarding road noise and jarring movement when going over the slightest bumps, anyone here know about these little problems??
  • You can read my recent post in the "Price paid/buying experience" forum if you like. Yes the stereo is a bit lean, for instance when turning up the volume with the bass on 5 or 6 you will hear audible distortion. Most importantly is the fact that male & female voices (voices!) sound distorted! If bass guitar, drums or synth-notes were breaking up then I could deal, but not voices. This is inherently due the the woofer's motor/magnet assembly losing control of the cone - and yes, some higher quality amplification would benefit the same speakers (a higher quality amp has better damping ability which controls the cone's ability to stop & change directions). Anyway, I am upgrading mine, and I suggest just listening for yourself. #2 Yea, the ride isn't great on uneven surfaces, as you will certainly feel it, but the car handles well, rides better on smooth roads, and eats up quick maneuvers and always takes on high speed ramps with poise. Hey, I came out of an explorer so its all relative. Incidentally, my girlfriends Jetta rides nicer, especially when encountering dips on the freeway. Dips really upset my RSX and make anyone in the car bounce in their seat! My car outhandles/accelerates the Jetta by far, but it it 3 steps behind in ride comfort & quality. Test drive as many cars as you can. With the price of gas I am glad to be out of the Explorer! (I'll curse not having the Ford when winter rolls around!)
    ...yesterday. Picked up an '02 RSX-S. Rides beautifully. After one day, I'm a happy owner :-) The prior owner was a young guy (25) but he's a financial analyst with GE (same parent company as me) and seemed like a very stable guy. Car seems to be in mint condition, 12 months old.

Have a question...I'd like to put fog lights in, any suggestions for where to get them and/or advice on the install? Anyone done it here?

TIA,
    Tom
    Thanks, Mark...I've already taken a quick look over there, I'll be digging through some more.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    We look forward to hearing all about your Acura RSX experience! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Steve - there are pros & cons. Frankly, everything has em'. The Reliability Issue - you be the judge: 1st 12mos 2 cracked windshields - 1 covered under warranty, climate control bulb, a couple of check eng lights (unknown), FF to 10 months before the 39mo lease ends - 4 new tires, I put in a battery & F brakes (mech friend did the rears) all at 47k +/- miles (very normal?). Same summer 01' check eng & poor running while at the shore for a 3 day - it was the mass air-flow sensor (war); buys out lease...summer 02' check eng & stinky (again at stone harbor) - o2 sensor not warranty - that dealer was uncool, the advisor requests "up to 1 hour diag fee up front"...comes back 20 min later & says "it is your oxygen sensor and it will cost $380.00 installed." - OK, it has to be done... well 45 minutes later it was & she came over & said "its all fixed, here is your paperwork." I look at the labor & its 2.5hrs. So I say at least be creative, park it out back for another hour, and then tell us its done - that is the art of the service advisor (I did it for a few years). Long story short - I had to go all the way to the GM to get the bill down to $300.00 even, including tax (from $390 something). .... Ready Steve? between summer 02' & now the sunroof crapped out (cassette installed $500), auto trans (warranty), catalytic conv (just made it under 80k). But, the car gets good, low 30's mileage (2.0 115hp eng), handles nice, rides very nice, and has good amenities & lux quotient. Despite that stuff, I like it, but if the trans & CC went after the warranty I would tell you to run! Drive what you like. Read these forums & compare warranties, etc. Try: Jetta GLS 1.8T (or golf - if you like that) with the 5 speed auto if desired; Mazda6; go DRIVE that RSX! Good luck, wever.
  • If your gonna get a VW then invest in a extended warrenty through VW. I bought mine used about a year ago and have put 16K on it since (28k total), here have been my problems. 2 broken auto windows (front drivers side and passenger side) windshield wipers mechanism brok (twice) 3 total replaced tweeters, all in the rear, cruise control broke (havent fixed yet) plstic thingy that hold the center console broke so got a new one of those, rear ash tray (never been used) somehow broke, had water leak into the sunroof which eventually filled the reservoir is made to transfer any water leaked through the seals to someplace near the floor boards so when the reservoir filled the floorboard on front and rear passenger side became very very wet, ummmm i feel like i am leaving something out... but thats all i can remember. Nothing has actually gone wrong mechanically just tedious stuff. Two year 24k used warrent just ran so im afraid to see what is wrong with the cruise control...
  • The dealer tried to sell me the piece of plastic for 150, which I thought it's too expensive. Anyone has any tips about where to get this for cheaper? I'm talking about the piece of plastic that snaps on top of the car and prevents the air getting in when the moonroof is open. At 6 ft 3 inches, the current is really annoying at high speeds.
  • ncpastin,

I bought a used 2002 Type S with a visor this past June. I bought the car mostly because it also had the foglights already installed. I acutally hate the visor a lot, when it's put on it actually blocks about 1/2 to 2/3 of the moonroof, and when the roof itself slides back (as you know) it also blocks about 1/4 of the roof. Result: You are left with about 1/4 or 1/3 of actual open moonroof. Which makes the principle of a moonroof seem pointless. Plus, when you go over bumps, it can shake and make thud noises. In addition, it's impossible to clean under it properly and I am weary that spiders and such will make nests in it. I am 6'3 as well, and I am telling you don't get it. I am actually having it removed at my first service visit. You want it?
  • Congrats on your RSX-S. I highly recommend *not* installing OEM (stock) foglights. I installed PIAA foglights and they're so much brighter and whiter. Not to mention cheaper. They look great, but I admit they don't look "stock", but they look good and most importantly, really light up the road. :)
    Thanks! I'm really happy with the car so far.

Could you tell me where you got the PIAA foglights and whether you installed them yourself?
    I had the OEM foglights put in by the dealer. They have since been replaced twice because of cracking....free of charge of course.

Just found out yesterday that the dealer, when installing the replacement fogs, "modified" my bumper to fit the replacements in. The bumper was also repainted at some point along the way.

Needless to say I'm not too pleased about this and the dealer will be giving me an explantation during my next service call.

I'm considering taking them out and installing some PIAA's also.
  • We've had our 2003 RSX for about 3 months now and I'm still very impressed with it both asthetically and machanically. A few things that could be improved are kind of evident. If you look inside the front wheel wells the abs liner doesn't cover the sides of the engine as in there are two gaping holes that will let in spray in wet conditions. If you're like me and wash it once a week its no big deal to rinse the area out. As in almost all sport coupes there is a blind spot problem that is most evident when backing but you get used to that. I can't understand why they dont include a rear mat with the all weather mats in the front either. I found the oil easy to service and the re settable service engine light is a nice feature. I went with Mobil 1 0 w 20 as I've had very good luck with synthetic oil in the past. The stereo is adequate for an oem unit though if you listen alot in the car an aftermarket unit and speakers are not that big a deal to install. Crutchfield has everything you need with instructions for the reasonably mechanically inclined. As I said in my earlier post the spoiler at $895.00 from the dealer is a rip. You can buy it painted and guaranteed to match your oem paint from Wings West for less than half that amount. Installation instructions are downloadable at their website. Don't buy touch up paint at the dealer either. Not enough suspended solids in the paint, Instead go to PaintScratch.com and have a fresh batch mixed up using the paint code inside the drivers door. They also guarantee the paint will match. Other than minor things like the above mentioned the car runs great on regular gas which at this posting is going for $1.50 a gallon..I've had it up to 100 mph and theres room for way more but I didn't want to find out how much more at the time. It handles great too. Honda Civics are nice but I like the extra horsepower and torque of the RSX for freeway merges and the like. So far I'd say you can't go wrong with an RSX, if you can get a good deal on one all the better. The place we went was pretty much an invoice price deal and with the 2.9 finance the total cost of finance came in at under $2,000 on a 60 month loan, though I think we'll trade it in on another one at about 65,000 miles.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    Sorry for the delay. I only check this forum every week or so. I have PIAA 004XT foglights on my car. I did not install them; a professional car shop did (in NJ). It took them about 4 hours to do the job b/c I insisted they install the foglights in the "stock location" (by the black waffle/webbing), instead of putting them close to the front license plates that most people install aftermarket foglights. They are bright as hell and really light things up. :)
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    So where did everyone go?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)