Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus ZX5

Comments

• Just brought my 05 Focus zx3 in to check for low MPG. Only get 22 city mileage and 27 hwy mileage with 8700 miles. I don't consider this acceptable for a small economy car. The dealer said everything is operating properly. I feel Ford lied about the mileage but I am happy with the vehicle otherwise.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    It's not that I was expecting the mileage to be in the stratosphere, but I was disappointed with the poor mileage too: 22-24MPG. My ZX5 2.0 is the most gas-guzzling car in my stable.

My other two cars, with much larger engines and 800 and 1000lbs heavier, deliver mileage 1 or 2MPG better in my commute.

I haven't tried long-distance highway driving yet, but my commute mixes 50% highway and 50% street driving.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,452
    5 speed. local driving only. 28 mpg winter, 30 in warmer weather.
  • michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    I've been getting a consistent 29-31MPG with mostly highway driving with my '03 ZX5 ... not sure what may be causing the poor gas mileage figures.

One thing about the Focus that I've noticed is that the owners manual stipulates 87 octane ... here in Colorado, that equates to mid-grade (regular unleaded is 85 octane). The manual has a passage in it that states that even in high altitude locations, 87 is what is best.

Are these cars automatics? Mine is a stick....
    Two manuals with reasonable mileage. Mine is an auto...
    mine is a 2.3. i could easily get worse mileage.
    My two other cars which deliver better mileage than my Focus 2.0 have a 3.8 and a 3.5 engine...
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    averages 26-27 in the summer. I don't drive it much in the winter (I keep it away from the salt/sand) but the one tank I got in the cold before it snowed was 25. 75% hwy @ 60mph...
  • Can any one tell me how this works.My car was parked with no one in it when it was backed into.The driver airbag blew but not the passenger.Replaced sensor, air bag control module, seat belt pretensioner, air bag, and it still has a steady on airbag light.Will this light clear on its own or does it have to be reset by Ford.Is there something that I missed to do.also replaced clock spring
  • Anybody out there have there windshield wipers stop working suddenly? :sick:
    Here's an update, now that the Focus ZX5 auto has passed 6000mls. It's mileage is now much more reasonable, hovering between 25 and 26MPG in my commute. A welcome improvement from 22 to 24MPG initially.

I guess that, unlike my other cars, which reached EPA mileage withing 1000mls, Ford engines seem to take longer to break in, about 5000mls.

Now all I have to put up with is driving a compact car... :blush:
  • My 2005 Ford Focus was just totalled in a front end collision. The main point of impact was to the front end just to the left of center. The passenger fender is basically not there anymore, engine dropped, passenger headlamp missing etc. The hood buckled and broke the windshield. Yet, neither airbag deployed.

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm trying to reconcile a car that's totalled in a front end collision yet had no airbag deployment and am wondering if I understand how this all works.
  • tom_otom_o Posts: 1
    When I open the door to my 2005 Focus ZX5, I get a beeping sound as if the key were left in the ingition or the lights were left on. Is this normal?
  • This is just some first hand advise on replacing the timing belt. I have a 2002 Ford Focus ZX5 (NON SVT) I recomend that you take this to a dealer, or the local shop that has connections with a ford dealer, or bring your own parts. I was advised there is no aftermarket timing belt for my car. In fact all the after market companies were unaware of the different timing belt. Good news, I got 133000 miles and there was minor cracking on the edges. But the Water pump serpentine belt and idler had to be replaced as well.
    Gas miliage 29-32 miles per gallon (And I drive it hard)
    i have read this post a few times and i finally figured out what was bothering me about it.
    car hit LEFT of center, but RIGHT fender smashed? :confuse:
  • yanks3yanks3 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 focus zx3 w/ the Zetec engine but i get less then 200 miles on a full tank. Any ideas on what the problem could be?
  • tmp4tmp4 Posts: 1
    I wondered too. But perhaps the person meant the "left" side if one were facing the front of the car. The reference to the passenger side can only mean one side no matter which way you are looking at the car. Anyway, I had a similar experience recently (passenger side crumbled - no airbag deployed) and would be interested in knowinf if anyone had a thought as to why that happened (or didn't).
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    A national news magazine is looking to interview college students who has “pimped” out his/her ride Have you tricked out your car with big rims, outrageous stereos, wild paint jobs, spoilers, ground effects, neon lights, nitrous, the works . Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, June 9, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of the car you’ve “pimped” out.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• loolalaloolala Posts: 19
    I have the same car with 5 speeds, and my lowest mileage was 28MPG when it was new. It improved quite quickly after it got broken in. Now it has at least 30, but average 32mpg. Driving in the city is worst on mileage (my driving is 80% highway), but I can't see it being 200/tank. My EMPTY tank light came on about 280 when it's new, and for the last three/four years, it comes on when I hit 360 or even 370. The farthest I let it go on one tank was 425 miles on a road trip!

I do have my rear wiper stop working, and it's not the circuit breaker, but I don't want to spend time/money to fix it.
  • v_dv_d Posts: 89
    Guys do you know if Ford is going to ever bring the European Focus ever here?

Thanks.