Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Station Wagon vs SUV

1414243444547»

Comments

• adp3adp3 Posts: 446
    well, they tried the Subies yesterday and have ruled them out. My brother's wife has a chronic wrist problem, so the shifter caused her pain. I can't judge the validity of this complaint, as I have not played with the shifter. I also don't know if some Subies have the odd shifter and some don't. Suffice it to say that the Subies are off the list.

I am sure the Audi would be a great ride, but it is way too much of a car for my bro. The latest development is they are borrowing a Camry and all the gear fits just fine in the Camry, and they really like the ride. The bass fits in the back like a middle passenger, with the neck proturding into the front seat between the passenger and driver. No, you and I would not choose to do this, but my brother likes the idea of having a "regular" car for the majority of his driving (the bass rarely goes in the car), so......

but then he talks positively about the Pontiac Vibe. :confuse:

It's interesting to be talking to somebody who is so NOT a car person. For most people, buying a car is a really lousy experience. The sales people often suck. It's the biggest expenditure that most people will ever make other than buying their home. It causes a lot of angst. I'd say a small minority get any enjoyment out of it.

Interestingly, and I say this because neither my bro or his wife are "car people," they drove a Prius yesterday and LOVED it. (but you can't get one in Boston for like 6 months). I say "interestingly" because I have assumed the buyers for the Prius would NOT include people who are not car people and are not "gizmo" people, unless they are hard core environmental issue consumers. These folks fall into none of these categories, so I am surprised that even they thought it was a great car. (not commenting on whether the Prius is great; just commenting on my biases about the Prius)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It's the Legacy and Outback that have Sportshift, and aren't gated. Forester and Impreza are gated.

Camry scores well in "ease of use" if that's what he wants.

-juice
  • adp3adp3 Posts: 446
    they've decided on the Hyundai Tucson (whatever the new, small Hyundai SUV is)

the warranty made them really comfortable
    I drove one a while back. Not particularly sporty but a nice, practical vehicle for the price.

-juice
  • durability05durability05 Posts: 142
    I consider our Pilot the family station wagon, same goes for all the rest from Foresters to Freestyles. Only the Truck base vehicles are SUV's, except for the specialty vehicles like Range Rovers with their unibody, but reinforced components.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    Well, depends on what the perspective of the comparison is but generally...you're not gonna get much disagreement there.
  • durability05durability05 Posts: 142
    I remember those country squire wagons of the 70's, those things had body on frame, and independent front suspensions. They could be driven thru fire roads and except for ground clearance issues, they were okay. They could even tow 3500 pounds without the need of complex oil and power steering coolers like the Pilot.
    So after going thru my 04 EXL PIlot, I said to myself , what an uncanny resemblance, its my Daddy's station wagon, and I bought it because it reminded me so much of that Station Wagon I wanted as kid, because it had seating for 8.
    That's basically the replacement.

There was actually the minivan inbetween, but it went from wagon to minivan to SUV for the family vehicle of choice.

So, what's next? Crossovers?

-juice
  • tkanictkanic Posts: 78
    Interesting, It is sort of the rugged all road type vehical (SUV) has/is moving towards the station wagon, while the 'soccer mom vehical' (or SMV I guess) has gone from the station wagon to the SUV (now w/ many with 4WD optional, who would of ever thought that you would hear of a 2wd jeep).
  • i need to know what what a buick roadmaster station wagon is considered due to window tinting laws differ between cars & suvs and they do not consider a wagon in a class by itself for some reason. on our registration it says SW for stationwagon.. but the car tint place says it is either a car or suv.. help plz?
    Car, I'm pretty sure. Back then they were not expoiting the loopholes the way they are today. For instance, I believe Dodge calls the Magnum a multi-purpose vehicle, so it would be fall under "suv" to your tint shop.

-juice
  • 2007 Honda CR-V
    Iam in the market for a 2007 CR-V EX-L With Navi. Based on my research during the last few days, Understood
    that CR-V is going MSRP (The Max i could come up with is MSRP - $500) and Still Wait for a few weeks to
    actually get the car delivered.
    Here are my questions..
    (1). Do any of the NEW CR-V Owners feel that the low end torque is little less?? (I felt it when i was test
    driving yesterday -- Propably because its a 4 Cyl Fuel Efficient SUV and we never owned a SUV before).
    (2). I also felt that the engine noise was little more particularly when the CR-V starts accelarating?
    Are (1) and (2) -- something that is expected from a Fuel Eff 4 Cyl SUV??

VW Passat Wagon 2.0T --
    After my initial impression with CR-V (Particularly MSRP on the CR-V).. Iam starting to think towards
    07 VW Passat Wagon 2.0T with Package # 2 and NAVI
    My driving impressions were good on this, However i might loose some space for the rear seats compared to CR-V
    Liked the EPA Mileage and Truck Space.
    With all the gadgets this is just $2k over the CR-V (I was offered below invoice).
    However iam concerned about the reliability of VW and Any feedback on the VW NAVI(Could not see one yesterday
    on the dealers lot, Does it do Voice Recognition?)

Comments are welcome and Thanks in Advance..
    A couple of other things to think about - the VW is a turbo and needs premium fuel. I doubt your maintenance costs will be as low as the Honda. Plus, no AWD, less ground clearance, if that matters to you.

Advantages? Better handling, probably less noise.

Honda's NAV wins all kinds of awards, so I bet it's much easier to use.

No experience with VW, but I took a road trip with a buddy in his S4 convertible (sweet!) and the thing I liked least about it was the NAV. Took him a good 15 minutes once to find a single address, which you enter key by key (no touch screen).

Try before you buy, that's all.

-juice