Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Spectra Sedan

Comments

• Mic:

I think this is normal behavior. My 2004.5 EX does the same thing.

I do think that there's a timeout though.... but it's exceptionally long. Maybe like 20-30 minutes or something like that. I swear that I have had mine turn off on occasion when I'm driving a long time.

But like yourself, I usually just flip it off when everything is clear. Why tax that quality-made Korean battery/alternator when you don't have to? (That's a humorous little dig at KIA based on some battery issues that I've read on some of the other KIA-based forums regarding the perceived short life of the OEM batteries.)

Hopefully our batteries will go the usual 4+ years. Time will tell.

-SM
  • Kia recalling more than 70,000 LD Spectras

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/24hour/autos/story/2765925p-11367744c.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - Kia Motors America Inc. said Thursday it was recalling more than 70,000 LD Spectra sedans because the computer operating the air bag system could confuse a child seat for an adult in the front passenger seat.

The recall, which will begin in late October, involves vehicles from the 2004-2005 model years.

-SM
  • FWIW my '01 Sportage 4x4's OEM battery is still going strong and I have about 104,800 miles on the SUV now. I often listen to the stereo while the engine is shut off and the alternator can't charge the battery back up and the battery just keeps going and going and going. It's not showing any signs of aging whatsoever. Hope everybody else's Kia batteries are also treating them well.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• martintmartint Posts: 12
    I just read in newspaper that KIA is going to recall the Spectra for the same problem as the Elantra had so maybe now I will get this passenger air bag sensor problem resolved.
  • What exact colors did you get? My interior is the same color's as yours. :)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,694
    I noticed that at least for today, you can save up to $2250 on a '05 Spectra, more with the grad program. The $1750 rebate expires today--no idea if it will be extended. That puts the Spectra at a major advantage price-wise for at least today over its cousin the Elantra--rebates were just slashed on that model.
  • What exact colors did you get? My interior is the same color's as yours.

I ordered the Euro-Perf, with "sand" on top/bottom and "brown" sides.

I perfed the top/bottom sections as shown in Wheelskins brochure, but KIA perfs the sides on their factory leather covered wheels. So... you need to make a choice. Wheelskins will actually perf the whole wheel for no added cost, so that's an option too. Be warned that the it takes a few minutes to install.... there's over 105 stitches on there to make!!!!

Here's a picture of mine again, for those wondering what the heck we're talking about! :-)

SpectraMan's Wheelskins cover on his Spectra EX

So far I'm *lovin* the feel of a real leather wheel again. I've always had a leather cover on my steering wheel going back to high school. The factory KIA wheel offered good grip, but its surface was a bit rough on the hands. Now when the wheel snaps back through my hands, it's smooth and soft! But... the grip is still good if I latch on. The leather isn't the least bit slippery.

-SM
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 11
    hey spectraman,

nice steering wheel cover. Quick question is your stereo aftermarket? mine is totally diff from yours. mine looks like a double din and i was looking for an aftermarket kit to put in a pioneer in place.. if yours is aftermarket could u pls tell me what kit you used.. thank you in advance
  • Hi Kwinn:

My radio is completely factory stock. The 2004.5 Spectra sedans came with a low profile CD player. Thus, I have two cubbies below my radio.

Here's a factory photo of what it looks like straight on:

Spectra EX radio for 2004.5

So far I've had no problems whatsoever with it, and it sounds great by my standards. There's no MP3 or satellite radio capabilities though, which I know are starting to be options to look for.

-SM
  • humanhuman Posts: 5
    I did notice this problem on my 05 Spectra as well.

Does anyone know if the dealer has the means to fix it now, or do I have to wait for the recall?
  • martintmartint Posts: 12
    My problem with the sensor is that when my wife sits in the passenger seat, the "passnger air bag off" light would come on at times. I have had the sensor replaced and the computer reprogrammed once too. I was scheduled to meet again with the KIA tech at the dealer when I read about the recall. The recall seems it is for a different problem though. The sensor reqjuires too heavy a weight to activitate the air bag. We will see.
  • Just a little blurb I wanted to share.

I come outside to find frost on the Spectra this morning.... no big deal since it IS mid-October and I'm in Michigan! It's a beautiful clear morning, and the sun is just starting to fall on my car.

I start the car up, hit the defrost button and dig the scraper out of the trunk. The frost comes off the windows quickly, and I hop back in the car.

As I sit there waiting for my kids to come out (so I can take them to school), my eye catches some movement on both sides of the car. I look over and my mirror is smoking! And so is the other one!

I chuckle when I realize that it was simply my Spectra's heated external mirrors doing their thing and melting the frost that had also formed on them. It's been so many months since I've seen frost that I'd forgotten about this feature!

Life is good. :-)

-SM
  • absolutely stunning news!

I am in the midst of digging my '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 to the full, too. I do not have heated mirrors, however. Very cool feature. Kia and Hyundai are marvelous car makers.

spectraman, has Kia hinted at a re-design for the Spectra sedan and Spectra5 at all? 2008 or so? Not that they need one, just wondering if they've mentioned a re-design planned for the distant future.

• I know have 1,700 miles on my 2005 spectra ex sedan. I love the exterior lighting and spoiler. I am aproached, quite a bit, about how sharp it looks. It's black and I have placed a small red stripe on the side that really stands out. I look at similar cars like the new chevy cavaliars and ford focus and, in my opinion, the spectra looks alot more stylish and unique than theirs, and alot of others out there I have come across.
  • Kia Wants To Be Chevrolet

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog/automotive/1820596.html

"....given that Kia is the second fastest growing automotive brand in the last 5 years (with sales up 68 percent), its cars are priced from roughly $11K to $26K, and they all have that awesome 10-year/100,000-mile warranty, it means we're all going to see a lot more of Kia as it tries to build and sell affordable cars for everyman in every market.

Gee, that last part sounds a lot like Chevrolet. And Hunt didn't denounce the analogy"

-SM
  • I find that the rear window defroster works quite a bit slower than other cars i have had. This is only with fogged up windows since it hasn't got cold enough yet in Wisconsin to have frost.But so far thats the only [non-permissible content removed] i have about this car! :)
  • ofrakinofrakin Posts: 12
    My GSX runs great w/ no problems for the past 90K, until lately. I have a solid rattle, like a broken shock or motor mount. Its on the passenger side and everything checks out tight ; calipers, brakes, strut, shock, motor mounts and I can't find it anywhere. Anyone have an idea? thanks
  • http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Daily_Edition/Daily_Edition_Nov_29_2005.S173.A96- - - - 84.html

Len Hunt is glad to get a crack at running Kia Motors. The new COO of the Korean carmaker's U.S. unit had been tapped to run worldwide marketing for Bentley at Volkswagen. "I looked at my schedule of one posh glad-handing event after another, many of them on the weekends, and I thought…I'm too young for that kind of life," said Hunt during a recent chat in New York.

( snip )

At Kia, Hunt doesn't plan to do too much tinkering with the master plan. "I'm not changing the blueprint, because the strategy is right," says Hunt. His biggest surprise, he says? That the Spectra beat Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic on J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Survey.

He does plan to talk to his new Korean bosses about juicing up some versions of Kia's products. A turbocharged, all-wheel-drive Spectra5 is on his wish list.

-SM
  • I have noticed that my gas mileage will consistently be above 27 mpg if I fill up BEFORE my tank gets below 1/4. If I fill up when the tank is below the 1/4 mark, my mileage is usually poor (i.e. ~24). At first I thought it was coincidence but now I'm not so sure.

Has anyone else noticed this?
  • have you noticed what micthom says happens with your 2004 1/2 Kia Spectra sedan? That is really kind of interesting...there might be something to it and I think I've noticed that before with my 2 Kia rigs but I have no scientific evidence to back it up. I think it might have something to do with the fact that gas runs lower on the guage faster when it reads below 1/4 tank on the guage. I'm sure it's a technical reason but, for example, if you put $5.00 of regular no-lead in your tank when it shows 1/4 tank, it will go up further on your car's gas guage in inches distance than if your gas guage shows empty and you put $5.00 of regular no-lead in the tank.

If the above doesn't make sense don't worry about it, but chime in with your interpretation of it if you want. ;)

• Darn that lousy DaimlerChrysler! When will then start being original and STOP cloning KIA's designs like the Spectra?!?!

Don't believe me? Look below:

Spy Shots: '08 Benz C-Class

Mercedes-Benz is preparing a new C-Class, which will make its debut in the spring of 2007.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Daily_Edition/Daily_Edition_Dec_15_200- 5.S173.A9748.html

;-)

Seriously though... I have often thought that my car (esp. in gold) looks like a small MB from certain angles.

-SM
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,694
    (couldn't reply directly because of the quirk in Town Hall with large photos)

Put bigger wheels on that Spectra and they could almost be twins!

I wonder if the MB will cost more than the Spectra? ;)
  • That's interesting about the next C-class and the present Spectra styling cue's. A gal at work just purchased a 2000 Jaguar, and the lines on that are very similar to my 2004.5 too. I'm still boasting about the current Edmund's resale values of my Kia, and the super deal I got it for last March. It's worth more used! My car actually appreciated! When has that ever happened before!? I love my Kia, only wish the finish was a little better, and maybe the carpeting. :P
  • spmrebelspmrebel Posts: 130
    I am suprised about the resale value. I need to look this up. My girlfriends 05 Kia Spectra might be worth more than we paid.

Anyway, the finish on our 05 Spectra in my opinion is better than my 05 Elantra GT and my previous Suzuki Aerio. The paint is harder and thicker in application. The 05 Spectra is driven 6 days a week from Laguna Beach, CA to either Riverside or Whittier back and forth (110 miles round trip) on the 5/60/91 fwys which has significant truck activity and the car only has a few nicks in the front bumper. Compared to my 05 Elantra GT we have about the same number of nicks but I run a car bra at least 95% of the time - unless it is raining.
  • FYI.... I wonder if KIA's planning on building Spectras at this new plant? Or will it be the new Optima and an SUV (mimicing Hyundai's Sonata/Santa Fe team in Alabama)?

http://tinyurl.com/d5tyd

Kia may build bigger U.S. plant

As sales have grown, plans have expanded; Miss. site is not a given

Rising U.S. sales are leading Kia Motors Corp. to expand its plans to build its first assembly plant in the United States.

Three economic development officials familiar with the project say Kia is considering a larger factory than the one it spent most of this year planning. Kia is looking at sites in several states, although Mississippi was the initial choice.

Kia told officials in several Southern states this year that it envisioned a plant with 1,500 workers. But the development officials say the expanded Kia plan now involves 2,000 to 2,500 workers.

It's not clear how many vehicles Kia intends to produce at the plant.

-SM
  • Where did you find this information about the resale value? I have a 2005 Kia Spectra 5 and tried to trade it in on a new truck and they only offered 10,000.00...
  • that sounds about right. Kia cars don't hold their value very well. My '01 Sportage 4x4, to the contrary, with 107,090 miles on it, is currently worth $4,500 on trade in. The 4x4's command a better trade-in value, if you keep them up well. I've had all it's maintenance done and I've driven it carefully (for example, I just had it in to get new tires a few months ago, they were OEM Hankook tires that I got 102,000 miles out of!!). I haven't ever blown a single lightbulb out on it!

I am thinking of trading it in the end of January on a 2006 Kia Rio5.

Kia cars depreciate at a faster percentage rate than their SUV's. Unfortunately, what the dealer is offering you on your '05 Spectra5 is about what they would offer. I'd try another place if it's convenient to you to do that.

I'm curious, what kind of truck are you getting?

• Nothing new here for a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd throw this out to liven things up a bit!

Hunt: Kia eyes Chevy buyers
    Automotive News / January 17, 2006 - 2:17 pm
    http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060117/SUB/60117011/1011/RE- G&Profile=1011

Excerpt:

Watch out Chevrolet. Kia Motors America has you in its crosshairs.

That caution from COO Len Hunt reflects marketing data showing that Chevrolet is the brand most frequently shopped by prospective Kia buyers, except for Hyundai, he told the Automotive News World Congress.

"When we take Hyundai out, Chevrolet, with its sporty image, is our biggest cross-shopping brand," Hunt told his audience. "So be careful, that's where our customers are coming from."
  • Looking for feedback:
    Spectra EX, auto, cruise control
    msrp $16190
    dealer discount $2390
    rebate $700
    owner loyalty $500
    did i get a good deal? thanks
  • Looking for feedback:
    Spectra EX, auto, cruise control
    msrp $16190
    dealer discount $2390
    rebate $700
    owner loyalty $500
    did i get a good deal? thanks

Does this mean you paid $12,600 *before* tax, title, and destination?

If so, then sure.... that's a pretty good price for a car as nice as the Spectra is.

Btw, was your car a 2005 or 2006?

-SM
This discussion has been closed.