Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Spectra Sedan

Comments

• geogeo Posts: 23
    Kia makes as good a product(for the $)as ANYONE in the car industry. If and when this is seen as the truth depends upon the quality of their service and commitment to the great warranty offered in U.S. The best way to vote is with loyalty in purchase and honestly saying that our cars seem great to us. The old Rio was not the car the new one is, but it was a great value for price. I miss it being offered just as I miss the VW Beetle even though the Rabbit/Golf is a "better car" - at a higher price. Kia should bring the Picanto or a similar vehicle into the U.S. to fill the spot the Rio used to occupy.

I am very happy with the 2005 Spectra but still love my 1982 VW camper which is a completely different driving experience. IMO the Spectra is as a better car than an equivalent Japanese car, dollar for dollar. BTW I am seeing a huge number of Kias and Hyundais locally but not as many when I travel. Good local dealers make a huge difference in perceived quality. George in Wisconsin.
  • picupicu Posts: 1
    My car is not accelerating as good now did they fixed that or what happen.
  • aleshaalesha Posts: 3
    They completely replaced the transmission, it was stuck in third gear.
  • aleckiaaleckia Posts: 2
    I bought my Spectra as a replacement vehicle. I lost my car when I evacuated from Katrina on my motorcycle.
    I drive alot, and was very very happy with my new purchase. I've read some of the horror stories here about the gas milage and except for the first two tanks of gas I get about 475 miles to a tank of gas (HWY), and about 400 (CTY). The braking system 4 wheel disc brakes are incredible. The handling could be is terrific for the car.
    I've had the car since November 1 and have put somewhere near 26,000 miles on it. As I said I drive alot.
    Anyway, this morning to my suprise I got in and my check engine light came on, and killed my day.
    I have a manual transmission, and have scheduled an appointment with the dealer for tomorrow. Should I be concerned or what?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    Since the dealer will probably charge a diagnostic fee (should be refunded if the car has a problem covered by warranty), if the car drives fine you might want to check the gas cap to make sure it is on tight (3 clicks at least) and wait a few days to see if the light goes off by itself. That light can go on for any number of reasons. I had the engine bay of my Elantra washed the other day, and the check engine light came on. After a few days it went off.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    backy does..drive it and see if it will cycle off on it's own. Or go to your dealer and keep your appointment. I know what you mean about it killing your day because you don't know what is wrong with your car. Don't worry, I have found the Long-Haul Warranty to be very comprehensive and covering everything I've needed. If it's a recall item Kia will also fix it for free.

If it's not anything your dealer shouldn't charge you either, however, the fact that your check engine light is now on means that something is no doubt wrong. But don't worry, it's probably an item that can be fixed pretty easily and quickly and not cost you anything but an hour or two of your time. I never minded-I just walked the Kia lot and enjoyed going over all of the Kia vehicles and talking to the salesmen about them. I'm kind of a Kia nut though, so, there you go.

Do come back and post what you found out, OK, aleckia?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

... the fact that your check engine light is now on means that something is no doubt wrong.

No, not quite. It could be something as simple as a loose gas cap (or something like my car's wet engine). If that is the case, if there's not a warranty-related problem, the dealer can charge you a diagnosis fee. At my dealer that is $89. Now, if this is your first time in with a loose gas cap, they might be nice and waive the fee. But you can't count on that.
  • aleckiaaleckia Posts: 2
    Well, i took the car in yesterday, late afternoon, they threw it on the computer, and what do you know GAS CAP. I forgot I lent my car to a friend the day before, and the good friend he is he filled my tank and didnt secure the cap. Great friend indeed. Anyway, while sitting in the waiting area for my ride the service manager comes and tells me my car is ready. No charge or anything, and I'm a very happy Kia owner again.
    Sounds like a dealer worth sticking with.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Sounds like a friend worth sticking with too if he's gonna fill your gas tank these days! ;)
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    It's nice to have friends like that. :) :)
  • geogeo Posts: 23
    If just a gas cap problem you can reset the light yourself, but may have to "train" the tranny etc. over again. I just disconnect the battery for a short time and the light goes away, along with any trouble codes. If you are sure that it was a loose cap this can work. Have not had to do this on my car, but have on my son's 2004.5 twice. Once when he lost a cap, the second time when the a parts store sold him a cap for the previous gen Spectra by mistake. George in Wisconsin.
  • Hi I have a 2004 spectra that has done the same thing since I bought it new. I have had it in the shop numerous times to be told nothing is wrong that its my (blonde) imagination.....please tell me what they found wrong. I also have had the problem with what feels like my transmission slipping ....also my imagination. Thanks
    Cyndiimage
  • Well, I just purchased the 2006 Spectra 5 and it has the filter on it standard. I have driven a Volvo class 8 truck for a few Years and it has the same type of filter.
    I've noticed a big change in the volume of air when the filter is removed and after a few thousand miles it gets to the point you have to either replace it or just take the thing out.
    It gets dirty so fast that I just leave it out.
    Even when the shop puts a new one in during service I take it out because it just restricts the air flow too much.
    I never thought I'd see something like hepa filters in 18 wheelers 20 Years ago when I started driving, LOL! :)
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Posts: 123
    Hi all - I posted about a humming noise, back in post #316 or so. It's not coming from the right front wheel well as I supposed, but rather the right side (passenger side) of the windshield.

It's loud, and it happens when I hit 75 or 80 mph. (The speed limit on interstates in Arizona is 75.)

I've been to a couple of different Kia dealers several times. They resealed the windshield molding, and later replaced the entire molding. The noise persists, and I'm going to have to take it back in at some point.

I own a 2004.5 Spectra EX sedan. Has anyone else had similar issues?
  • rce1rce1 Posts: 2
    Bought a 2004 kia used yesterday. Drove fine. Today the check engine light comes on and I restarted the vehicle. It disappeared. But since then the car races in park and jumps forward while foot is on the brake. I will try to return tomorrow as I am supposed to pay balance then. I want no part of it and I am sure the dealer knew there was a problem.
  • rce1rce1 Posts: 2
    Heard all kinds of horror stories on kia not honoring their warranties. Bought additional aftermarket warranty with used kia. Had car one day and have huge problems. Spectra. Anyone know if i can return it after 2 days? Runs same as when I bought it except that after 50 miles of driving it has engine/transmission/other problems.
  • jmnappjmnapp Posts: 13
    Kia products are awful. As previously posted, my transmission went out at 1,400 miles....before I even made my fist payment. I wanted another vehicle but they refused, just replacing the transmission. I refused to have a brand new vehicle that already had to have the transmission replaced and traded it in the same day I picked it up from having the new transmission put in. Kia dealers and customer service were awful through the whole experience. I'll never by another Kia/Hyundai product again. My advice, get rid of the car! You'll only have more problems.
  • serge79serge79 Posts: 10
    I just tried a new 2006 Spectra today. It's brand new, but there's already a rattle in the dash and in the driver's door! I can't believe this. There is also a strange humming sounds coming from the front of the car. I'm really not impressed. The Spectra is supposed to be well built. I don't think I should go for the Spectra. Anyone has an opinion regarding this? I'm very dissapointed.
  • spectramanspectraman Posts: 255
    A question to your question:

Did the dealer only have 1 Spectra in stock? By that I mean, did you drive any others? If 2 out of 3, 4 out of 5, etc. drove fine and rattle/hum free, perhaps the first one you drove was the exception. Just a thought.

My 2004.5 Spectra is hum and rattle free at 24k+ hard driven Michigan miles. Best (aka: trouble free) new car I've owned to date, and I'm over 40. :-)

For sure, you are going to read about some Spectras with problems on the various forums. Ditto for all the makes and models. It's the nature of the beast.

I just wouldn't write off the Spectra yet until you drive a couple of more.

-SM
This discussion has been closed.