Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Spectra Sedan

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    You should be ashamed of chastising someone for doing an apples to orange comparison when you do the same all the time! Does comparing the base Corolla to the top of the line Aerio GS ring a bell?
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    Lng, how about we discuss that over in the low end car thread? There is an explanation and you probably won't like it.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    why this car exists, or why the Optima exists for that matter.
    Why would anyone bother with this car when the Hyundai Elantra is out there for very little more money? It seems foolish to buy a car this crude when you can STILL get a low cost car with a great warranty from Hyundai. (And I am a Toyota/Honda guy).
    ~alpha
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    but if I were shopping for the Optima/Sonata I'd take the best price. Drove both the Spectra hatch and Sephia last year and was underwhelmed. Kia has done a pretty good job cleaning up the styling details this year, but the Elantra is much more car for the bucks. Hopefully the cars will merge platforms without making them as alike as Chrysler(Plymouth) and Dodge.
  • Korean model in the 2nd jpg down is the Korean model Kia hired to promote the nice looking sedan in the homeland. Have a look-see if you will.

http://www.kmcir.com/kia_e/news/newsview.asp?ino=74&page=1

What beauty, eh? The boys have done it again!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• A friend of ours has a 1998 Sephia with a dead alternator. I've checked a half-dozen parts stores, and I find prices anywhere from $175 (but not available), to as much as $303.

I have never paid even half this much for an alternator for any other car, even for my 1990 Corvette. What gives? Something smells really fishy.

Anyone have any suggestions where to get an alternator or an alternator rebuild kit at a reasonable price?
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    "What beauty, eh? The boys have done it again!"

The model, right-- not the car which is identical to the U.S. model.
  • It has front-end differences which are apparent if you put the two(2002 Spectra sedan and 2003 Spectra sedan)side-by-side. The 2003 has a newly-designed grille, radiator, valance, bumper, headlamp cluster and wheels. The interior has brushed chrome to accent the interior in spots. It's an improvement at an unbelievably low price to boot!

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Edmunds editor Brian Moody takes the all new 2004 Spectra for a First Drive (see the Helpful Links box on left side of the page).

Here are a couple of his comments:

"Now comes the second generation of Kia's volume seller, the Spectra, and it has the potential to raise consumer awareness of the Kia name."

"While the Spectra's main hindrance might be a lack of name recognition in the marketplace, Kia has certainly put all its ducks in a row with this new economy sedan."

Enjoy!
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    I also notice Kia is keeping the practice of naming 2 different cars in the same year. In 1995, I bought a 1995.5 Sephia. The difference between an early 1995 and mine was I had dual air bags and a couple of other things that earlier 1995 models did nto have. Now, they have 2 different 2004 models. I have to assume the new one is a 2004.5 for resale purposes, right?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,699
    such things, right? Makes sense to me-I bet if one or more of us peruse available Kia information we can find a statement or two from them on the model year change for Spectra. I think it's a matter of wanting to keep things moving along...the 2004 Kia Spectra that was largely unchanged still had to come out in early 2004 like they normally would and the brand new '04 Spectra just progressed along to the point of release-only it was ready early in 2004 ALSO, just not as early. Almost too early to refer to them as 2005 Kia Spectra's, so they call them both 2004 Kia Spectra's. I'll be snooping around for any releases from Kia America or the big boys in South Korea concerning this and I'll post whatever I can find on it.

But Toyota called their all new Corolla a few years ago the next model year. They had almost 2 years of production under one model year, I believe. Maybe Kia should have just not had a 2004 Spectra until the new one came out since the new one was out so early in the year.
    but possibly Kia had their production line busy(these people work fast and they work hard, the operative term around a Kia factory is quickly from what I've read)and they had already committed the old '04 Spectra's to release early and didn't want to mess up the "flow of release". I agree, it might have been a better idea to call the brand new 2004 Kia Spectra sedan and Spectra5 2005 Kia Spectra's. Hey, maybe by calling the Spectra5 Spectra"5" Kia is indeed going to name the hatchback a 2005 Kia Spectra5! Isn't this fun?

• victor2005victor2005 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Spectra and need to know if it is OK tow an 800lbs jetski? I can have a hitch installed, but will towing this weight harm the drivetrain?

Thanks in advance!
  • jeepster4jeepster4 Posts: 53
    Yes, it can tow up to 530 kg(1168lbs), even more with trailer brakes.
    This per the Australian web site. Kia USA says that towing capacity is "being researched". I suspect that showing up to claim a drive line problem on your warranty, could be a problem if there is a hitch installed.
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Posts: 123
    I just bought the new, rather than the old, 2004 Spectra. It is a silver EX, manual transmission, with three options: alloy wheels, floormats, and cruise control. I paid about $12K even for the vehicle, not including fees, taxes, and negative equity on the trade-in. This is less than invoice, plus $1000 cash back. So far I really like the car - it feels much more expensive than it is. I'm really amazed that it has full curtain side airbags at that price point.

I used Edmunds to get quotes and first contact with the dealers, mainly dealing with Mark Kia and Avondale Kia. Mark threw in some free window tint and some discounted oil changes, so I went with them. Financing was already arranged through Capital One, which is partnered with Edmunds. Good low interest rates.
    Good going! Good luck to you.
    Congrats on your new 2004 1/2 Kia Spectra! Glad you snagged one. I'm thinking a lot about this car or a new-world-order Kia Sportage for 2005 for my next rig. My Sportage is running great so trading in is not in the current equation-I just love these Kia motorcars so much that I want to pull the trigger a tad bit early, know what I mean? Keep us informed with any problems you might have or any thing that particularly excites you about the car, OK? I sure love the way it looks, for sure. Absolutely great looking sedan from these South Korean automakers. Dig it!

In Columbus, GA the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer ran an article for the 2004.5 Spectra today. It was more of a glorified ad than a review, but they wrote a lot of nice things about it. The article said a new Spectra with things like auto, leather and sunroof was about $15,000. That sounds pretty good. Kia is also running several rebate programs now that look pretty enticing--among them are rebates for current and former Kia owners. I will be interested to see how it does.
    When are you guys going to update the Kia Spectra info under New Cars to reflect the new car?
    Ask that using the "Contact Us" tab that you'll find when you click on the Help link at the bottom (or the top) of the page.
    I'll give it a shot.
    I went into the section again; and, what I found was that while the picture has not been updated, the information has.
    This discussion archived itself after an extended period of inactivity. I'm reopening it because I think some of our members would like to resume the conversation.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A newspaper reporter is looking for vehicle shoppers and recent buyers age 20-29 who live in either the Atlanta or Raleigh-Durham area. If you're willing to talk about your vehicle preferences and shopping experience, please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com with your age, location, and contact info by December 13, 2004. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I recently bought a new style Spectra and while looking in the owners manual saw that it had an in-cabin filter housed behind the glove compartment. Wanting to see how hard this would be to change I undid the glove compartment to get to where the filter is suppose to be pull out the tray the filter is suppose to sit in and find the tray to be empty. I was if anyone would know if there is suppose to be a filter element in there from the factory or am I suppose to go by one on my own. I think it is rather strange to put this item in a car and not put the filter in it. The dealer is unsure if it is suppose to be there or not and the filters from KIA cost over $40 and I don't really want to pay for something that I think should have been installed already. Thanks for any help one this.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    Most likely the filter is not supposed to be there. That's the way it is on the U.S.-market Elantra, the Spectra's cousin, too. If you kept your car's window sticker, take a look at it and see if it mentions "air filtration"--I'd think it would if it were included.
  • Is the box there for everybody but the filter itself an extra option available? Seems a bit strange to not include the filter if you're gonna install the box standard. What is it-a HEPA clean air filter of some sort?

• It's exactly that. Many cars in price catagories higher than the Spectra are in have them as standard features. There are also some other features that they include in the same car in what I'm assuming the European market such as automatic climate control, auto sensing headlights (not just auto off) and it looks like leather seating. I am not sure why these were not even offered as options in the U.S. market. The auto features can't cost that much when I can see the place where the sensor for the auto headlights sensor would go.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    The GT has leather seating standard, at least in the U.S. The upscale features are offered in Korea, too, based on photos from Hyundai's web site. I can't think of ANY cars in the Elantra's price range in the U.S. that have auto climate control, so not offering it is not too strange. But not including the filter seems a little odd, especially since that feature is working its way down into low-end cars. I've always wondered if those filters reduce air velocity through the vents at all.
This discussion has been closed.