Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• - The P5 has surprisingly good room for a small car, front and back. If the boy grows to 7 feet, then good luck! You should be able to make a tremendous deal on a P5, and it would be a great combination of quality, sportiness, and value.
  • Thats a pretty big move/ like from a tank to a go cart. There are small cars that have a smoother ride than the P5 & some with 4 wheel drive (Subies). The P5 leans strongly in the sport direction with superior handling & responsiveness (and the stiff suspension you would expect). If thats what you want, then its a super choice. I think mine is great but I come from a sports car background. If thats what you like, its an excellent choice (with some aggressive pricing right now). Good luck with your decision.
  • A new Accord or Camry will ride much smoother, have much more room, and get the same or better gas mileage as the P5, and have more power to boot. The only thing they aren't is sporty. Don't get me wrong, I love my P5, but it rides ROUGH, and has limited space in the rear seat and trunk. Mine has been unreliable and has been in the shop an average of once a month. I too drive often for my job, and the rough ride becomes tiring after a while. This is not a car to keep long term. Also, the depreciation is horrid, so once you buy it you will have it for a while.
  • bballabballa Posts: 56
    What kind of problems? What was it in the shop for? A partial or complete list would be of interest to me and possibly other P5 owners. I have only 2,900 miles on the car, manual trans base model. Other than less than expected gas mileage, I have had no problems.
  • Sorry you've had bad luck with your P5. Based on the posts here & other forums, lack of reliability is not a common problem. I do agree that the P5 is not the ultimate highway cruiser. Not a good car for a bumpy road when you have a hangover either. Great for the cut & thrust of a city or suburban commute tho.
  • I did a considerable amount of research via consumer/auto publications and discussions with actual owners and my educated guess was that the P5 was above average in terms of reliability. can you elaborate on what your P5 problems were? I would like to know what to look out for and hopefully avoid.
  • Hello everyone,

I will post a detailed list over the weekend. However, the most frustrating has been the clutch chatter problem that is listed in a TSB.

pciskowski
  • It was me. Never replaced it. Cannot remember if it was always there before, though. Seperate issue I need new tires - 36 K on my Dunlops and not liking the wet weather. Any suggestions? I was leaning toward the Proxes 4 but none of the local shops carry Toyos. What is the best way to get them?
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    Since TireRack doesn't sell Toyos, I would contact 1010tires.com. The Mazda dealer replaced my missing screw under warranty.
  • My P5 is the first car I've had with ABS & as it finally snowed here in SE Wi, I thought I'd give 'em a shot. When I hit the pedal in a snowy parking lot, the fronts braked as if nothing unusual was happening but the rear end started to come around. Also, I didn't feel any pulsing from the pedal which I've been led to expect. I'm wondering if the ABS is actually working. Any thoughts?
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    You should have felt a sort of random kick-back through the brake pedal along with some audible chatter. If your were traveling in a straight line when you applied your brakes, there is no way the P5's rear should have come around.

I'd get it checked out or try it again in a safe environment.
    You definitely should have felt a pulsation in the brake pedal. I would get it checked out by the dealer.

Ted
  • My wife and I both thought the other had taken the p5 in for the 3,000 mile oil change. (D'OH!!!) Just got it changed at the 9,000 mile mark. Does anyone know if the 6,000 mile lag between oil changes may have permanently damaged the engine? I drive 60/40 hwy/city, and am a tad agressive (just a tad). thanks.

ant
    The actual recommended oil change interval for the P5 is 5000 miles. Going over 1000 miles shouldn't make a difference.
  • Stabbed the brakes in another snowy parking lot. ABS definately didn't kick in. Its going in to be checked under warantee. Thanks for the feedback. While I'm at it, I must say the Michelin Arctic Alpins are great snow tires & not too shabby on dry roads. Next year my wifes car gets snows for the winter also. I've been running all season radials so long I forgot what real snow tires can do.
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    Like Boggse said, no big deal. I intentionally only change my oil every 6K miles but I only run Mobil 1 through my engine. Also, 90% of my driving is at highway speeds.
  • thanks all. i figured it was nothing, but just needed to hear others say it / read others write it.

ant
  • Hello everyone,

This is my first posting ever, though I've checked in on these message boards from time to time. I own an 8 month old 2003 P5 with MT. It currently has about 8300 miles on it. Within the last 2 days, I've started experiencing extremely unstable engine idle. I'm not sure what the normal idle is, but my engine typically idles around 750 RPM when warm. Recently, my engine idle has been varying from 250 RPM to 1000 RPM while in neutral at a stop light. This doesn't always happen, but when it does, it's usually after I come to a stop. Also, if it does happen, it will cycle like this at least 4 times before it stabilizes. Needless to say, I'm going to take it in for service (it's due for an oil change anyway), but I was just wondering if anyone has encountered this before and if they know what the cause of the problem might be. Thanks!
  • slar99slar99 Posts: 1
    Has anyone else noticed that it is much more difficult (to the point of grinding) to shift to fisrt and second gear when the weather is colder? I have noticed it mainly when the temp is below 50 and get much worse and the temps get lower.
  • I've been driving MTs for over 25 yrs & every one of them got sluggish to some degree in cold weather. B4 the P5, I had a Nissan that had to be double clutched to go into reverse or 1st until the tranny warmed up. Just be patient & deliberate when the tranny is cold, things improve once warm. If you want a real treat, try to get any manual into reverse when its below zero. I wonder if they make synthetic tranny fluid, that might help.