Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5 Maintenance and Repair

1414243444547»

Comments

• iamziamz Posts: 542
    How much did the transmission repair cost?
  • hi i got a 2003 mazda protege 5 and 98,000 miles and when i try and put it in drive nothing happens when i move the gears feels like it isnt catching anything the link is good checked that the car starts up fine just doesnt move if i keep moving it will go in reverse just not drive when i was driving at the stop light it made a noise the shifter moved itself from drive to n and it wouldnt move someone please help me
  • hey- how much did your dealer say it was going to cost (if they hadn't covered the parts)? mine is saying 1600 PLUS 430 if plugs and coils need to be replaced due to damage from the intake manifold issue. (i have 56k on my car, bought brand new in 03)
  • ddroyddroy Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my Mazda Protege 5 2002 2.0L ... i don't know if its a problem with a fuse but my right flasher is always on ! Always but not when i hit a hole on the ground ...

The problem is that i don't know which of these fuse i need to change ! Its the P/WIND ? H/CLN? A7C? S/WRM?????? Help me pleaseee !
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    i don't know if its a problem with a fuse but my right flasher is always on
    I'm not sure it would be the fuse. A similar thing happened to my old Corolla when it got bumped by another car; the light switch got affected.

In any case the list of fuses are in the manual on page 8-41, such as:
    Position 14 = HAZARD 15 Amps Hazard warning flashers
    Position 20 = HEAD-R 15 Amps Headlight-right
    Position 21 = HEAD-L 15 Amps Headlight-left
  • mjsully2mjsully2 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    i just got a used Mazda protege 5, and I can't get the rear license plate to come off. I believe the screws are stripped. Do I need to remove the rear hatch cover? If so, how would I go about doing that?

thanks much
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,834
    Are you sure they just aren't those special "anti-theft" heads on the screws that need a certain type of driver?

• bendi1bendi1 Posts: 1
    what can u do if that allen head screw is stripped and i dont have a tool to fit it to turn it,

one side of the car was easy to do.. this one is torture.

please any info
  • sadsonsadson Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    Can someone help with an answer or post to a message with suggestions.
    Have a 2000 ES, standard transmission with 140,000. have been fixing various emissions problems over the last year-18 months. Currently have code 401 reoccur- have replace EGR valve, boost sensor, and cleaned off deposits. Check engine light still comes on.
    is this a common problem?

sorry if posted in wrong place.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    There is a terrific site (www.obd-codes.com) that explains the OBD2 codes: P0401 explained
  • age500age500 Posts: 2
    can anyone help me identify my mazda protege 5 problem this morning while i was driving up the highway to work it started making a dragging sound and then it stop and then it started again...... it sounds like onnnnnnn....and i dont know what it can be please can any one help me with the dragging staling sound the car drive good other than that but in addition my radiator is leaking or cracked but not overheating.......
  • dwryterdwryter Posts: 87
    edited June 2013
    2002 Protege5, 5-spd, 70K miles, original owner. P5 now has trouble going up hills, especially with a passenger or two, far worse than normal. Performance NOT under load is fine. I thought it might be a plugs/wires/coils problem and was about to change them when a mechanic said if it were the cause, I'd have seen an error code. He suggested the fabric over the fuel pump might need cleaning, as the computer doesn't check fuel pressure. Per his suggestion, I dumped in a bottle of FI cleaner: no help. Three questions: 1) Could a bad plug, wire or coil be the culprit without the computer knowing? Might the wires or coil be less efficient after 11 years, but not so much the computer would notice? 2) Could a clogged filter-sock be the problem without triggering an error? 3) Could something else be causing this problem? I'm confident I can change the plugs/wires/coils, but hesitate to mess with the fuel filter, even with the fine instructions pointed to in an earlier post here (one in which a computer error had been generated). Thanks for any advice!
  • htcchtcc Posts: 1
    try checking the intake air snorkle. mine had a small split in one of the accordion folds and the air leak was causing intermittent problems at highway speeds.