Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• My Daughters 2002 P5 (51,000 miles) began having that problem ever since we had the belts replaced in May after they pretty much shredded in an explosive way. After awhile the whine appeared, had the belts tightened up. The whining noise came back in early September, brought it back again to be tightened.

My independent mechanic said there were situations where the computer on some P5's were sending wrong signals the the alternator.
    "We found alternator output is intermittently high/overcharging. We have seen this on several models with this engine/alternator. Replacement of computer is needed to correct".

But my dealer has never heard of this problem. The radiator fans seems to run very frequently. Has anyone had this problem or heard of this?
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    I'm bringing in my 2002 Protege5 with approximately 100K kilometres (60K miles) for some maintenance work and would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Has anyone had their automatic transmission fluid replaced recently? My understanding is that there is a ATF filter involved and that the work involves flushing out the system and installing a new filter. How much labor time would be involved?

My current battery is fine but I think it's prudent to get a new one before the winter hits. The new battery is a Group 35 with 550 cold cranking amps. I'm guessing it would take under an hour to replace the battery, is that right?

My spark plugs are due for replacement. Again, to be prudent I figure that I should have new wires installed as these are the originals with over 5.5 years. How much time should I estimate to replace the plugs and wires?
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    I had my tranny fluid changed at 30k miles without a filter change. I had them put in amsoil fully synthetic and the bill came out around $180. I have read that flushing the system is not always a good idea because it can free up particulates that can actually cause damage later on.

It could take an hour labor on the battery change only because the crossbrace for the struts needs to be removed to get at the battery.

I still have the original wires with 112k miles on them so I'm not sure what they cost. But, the plugs should run around $100 installed.
    Here's a followup on the maintenance service for my 2002 Protege5 with approximately 100K kilometres (60K miles).
    All prices before taxes.

Automatic transmission: flushed and replaced fluid; installed new filter. Cost: C$180.

Battery: replaced by Mazda Group 35 with 550 cold cranking amps. Free installation per Mazda Canada promotion. Cost: C$88

Spark plugs: Replaced 4 spark plugs. Supplied my own plugs which I had purchased earlier. Cost (for installation): $20

Ignition wires: I thought it would be prudent to replace these as I am running on the originals. Dealer checked the wires and said they were fine. Cost: $0

Oil change: Cost: C$25
  • I found a discussion on this board from a few years ago about this, but I want to see if there are any new developments. I am getting a creaking or squishing sound from my front suspension whenever I go over certain bumps, such as speed bumps or dips in the road. It seems to be worse when the I first start driving. My old P5 did this too, and I had a shop do some work, but it did not fix the issue. I just thought it was because it had 90K on it. My "new" one is doing it too, and it only has 40K on it. I had the dealer look at it, and they replaced the lateral suspension links, but it didn't change anything. It is driving and riding fine, it just sounds really bad. It doesn't do it all the time-only when I go over a bump that makes the car travel a lot on the suspension. Does anyone else have this, and if so, has it been fixed? Is this anything to worry about?
    creaking or squishing sound from my front suspension whenever I go over ... speed bumps or dips in the road. It seems to be worse when the I first start driving. My old P5 did this too ... I just thought it was because it had 90K on it. My "new" one is doing it too, and it only has 40K

The suspension on my 2002 P5 sounds fine; it has approx. 100K km (60K miles); the ride is still great.
  • Hello
    I have recently purchased a 2002 protege5 and the heater doesn't work. Has anyone had this problem before. Is there a way to check the core or the switches without taking it in?

Thanks
    Try checking out the online factory workshop manual at http://protege5.ugly.net
    The site has the entire manual for the protege/protege5 in pdf.
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    My 02 did that too. I think it's a bushing. Check out some of the Mazda specific forums for answers. I ignored it.
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    I had problems when the incompetent dealer replaced my defective factory cd. The heater setting got screwed up. It's a pretty tight space behind the dash and the radio harness was rubbing on the HVAC controls. I'd look for a good independent shop to fix it.
    maintenance service for my 2002 Protege5 with approximately 100K kilometres (60K miles). All prices before taxes. Automatic transmission: flushed and replaced fluid; installed new filter. Cost: C$180.

I must say now that I've had my automatic transmission fluid flushed and replaced it's never been smoother. I'd highly recommend it if you haven't had yours done.
  • Anyone know where I can find used parts for my 2003 Mazda Protege5?
    The new part (wiring harness, right headlight, low beam) costs a fortune! I haven't had any luck searching carparts.com or other used part websites.
    thanks!
    Try calling your local salvage yard.
  • tried that too.
    The 2003 model wasn't all that popular, so I'm having trouble finding used parts.
    Just hoping that someone out there might be able to help!
    thanks!
  • My protege5 cuts off sometimes when I am driving it but then comes back on. Everything goes dead. I checked to see if there were any lose grounds but I couldn't find any. Any suggestions?
    The 2002 will have the same harness as well as the regular protege sedan 1999 through 2002.
    Check both terminals of the battery, not just the ground.
  • I was driving on the interstate today, in 5th gear (been driving for about 10 minutes already) and I the check engine light comes on, flashing. I start to pull off, and as I do so, I feel the shifter shuddering in my hand. I lose acceleration. I've got it floored in 5th to keep moving, and I'm slowing down. I coast down the offramp, and the shifter continues to shake and shudder. As I give it some gas in 1st to get to the garage, still patchy acceleration, but the shudder dissipated. Shudder resumed when I let off the accelerator. I pulled in to the parking lot, and gave it some gas in neutral, and the shudder stopped as I gave it gas, resumed when I let off. Any ideas what the heck is wrong with my protege? I'm freaking out.
  • prot5prot5 Posts: 1
    squishing noise: check the front and rear sway bar bushings, mine were under warranty, they were replaced at the dealer free of charge I've a 2003 P5
    When the "check engine" light is flashing, you pull over and turn the engine off immediately, call a tow truck and have brought in.