Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jack159jack159 Posts: 3
    (1) coolant level is ok (plastic coolant bottle level - check with temp. gauge showing normal or below)
    (2) check if engine temp. normal when driving on highway
    (3) If it only overheats in city driving or very slow driving, then cooling fans are not coming on.
    (4) turn on A/C....if fans come on , then fan motors are ok
    (5) Then problem should be with fan motors temp. sensor or relay
  • jack159jack159 Posts: 3
    I don't think my 02 P5 (45,000mi.) problems were the same as yours. However, I'll pass on the solution to the problems I had. Engine would stall at hiway speed or sometimes stall when idling. "Check engine" light would come on. By turning off the key and starting up again, it would be ok for maybe a day or more. Scaning at "Auto Zone" showed "multiple engine misfire". That could mean many things. Went to independant repair shop..........same code. Visual check showed nothing.
    Finally went to smog station (Cal.) AH..HA !! read out was "coolant temperature sensor not within specs". Replaced it about 2 weeks and problem is gone. (knock on wood!)
  • aerosimaerosim Posts: 3
    I've change the timing belt two weeks ago (166 000kms). At the sametime, we change the water pump who was getting tired and the thermostat (23$) to make sure that it work correctly. Since that, the car is running well & I hope it's going to last for a long time. I hope I can get this car up to 250 000 kms before letting him go... it's probably gonna give a hard drive over 200 000kms since it is right now.
  • Hi all. I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone could provide some insite for me. I just changed my rear brake pads. I've done this before on other cars but this is the first time on my P5 at 68k miles. I followed the mechanic manual directions and reversed the order after replacing the pads. Here's my question...Does the P5 require springs to hold the pads onto the calipers? My car did not have them but the instructions indicated they should be on there. If so, can I get generic ones at the local car parts store? Thanks for your help. :confuse:
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Does the P5 require springs to hold the pads onto the calipers? My car did not have them but the instructions indicated they should be on there.
    Although, I've never replaced the pads myself, I believe I remember seeing them on my P5. You could check the front brakes.
  • jrummerjrummer Posts: 1
    I took my car to my regular guy and they removed the rotors and machined them a little to reduce some brake pulsing. Well, I get my car back and noticed a grinding/whining noise I'd never heard before. Turns out the wheel bearings are bad in the left front. Thing is, there was absolutely no noise the day before they pulled the wheels apart. My question is, are the wheel bearings effected pulling off a rotor on a 2002 protege 5? I can only guess the answer is yes and now they wanna charge me to replace a wheel bearing that was fine a week ago. Thanks.
    are the wheel bearings effected pulling off a rotor on a 2002 protege 5?
    I would not think so, but I'd have to check. How many miles does your P5 have?
    If it's over 60K (100K km), the bearings could have been worn down as part of normal wear and tear. The fact that you did not hear anything earlier could be due to the noise created by the uneven rotors.

BTW I replaced my rotors because I've heard modern rotors are cheap and thin (as in: they do not last long).
  • It's time for a clutch replacement.
    Anyone have any experience w/ P5 clutch replacement:
    OEM vs. aftermarket?
    prices?
    helpful hints?

Thanks.
    O15
  • I recently replaced the rear calipers/rotors/pads on my '02 protege 5. Bled the brakes and I'm still getting almost no pedal feel and I can hear the pads rattling around in the back. Any insight please
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    I can't quite remember but, you might have to manually drive the brake pistons in using the allen screws on the back of the calipers until the pads contact the rotors, then back it off a quarter turn or so. Then try bleeding.
    The horn on my 2002 P5 is ready to die. According to a mechanic, it was likely the road salt that did it in. I plan to replace it in a couple of weeks. A friend suggested I check out a second hand one. That sounds reasonable considering I plan to keep the car for another two years.

Any comments on replacing it with a new one from the dealer or a used one from the scap yard? Any suggestions/tips on the process?
  • I recently bought a 2003 pro5 with a 6 disc changer. The cd player will load the cds, and they will start to spin, but when they start spinning they make a werid sound, like the disc is uneven and spinning. The player tells me to check disc. Ive tried different cds in it. Has anyone had the same problems? Buy a new one or can it be fixed? :)
    The horn on my 2002 P5 is ready to die. ... I plan to replace it ...

Update: I bought a new horn for C$60; installation will be happening in December.
    6 disc changer. The cd player will load the cds, and they will start to spin, but when they start spinning they make a werid sound, like the disc is uneven and spinning. The player tells me to check disc. Ive tried different cds in it.
    Have you tried loading and playing one standard CD alone? Are the CDs that you are trying home-made or standard store bought ones?
    The horn on my 2002 P5 is ready to die. ... I plan to replace it ...

Update: I bought a new horn for C$60; installation will be happening in December.

It took one hour to have my garage replace the horn ... and now it's back tooting good as new!
  • Hi. New to this site.

Just bought an '03 P5 w/ 108k from a Honda dealer in the Bay Area. I regret it now just because I found other models w/ less miles. Anyways, 50 miles after driving the car off the lot the CEL came on. I returned it immediately to the dealer and after running the computer they told me the rear cat needed to be replaced. I was able to get them to give me a 12 yr/ 12k warranty on the car on top of replacing the cat for free. I mentioned that I heard the EGR valve was an issue w/ this model and they basically shrugged it off. After they replaced the rear cat w/ an aftermarket part, the CEL came on within 20 miles. I returned the car again to the surprise of the service man. He apologized and said he would have to check w/ Mazda to see what to do. He called back to tell me the front cat needs replacing as well, this time w/ a factory part. I am returning the car in a few days for the repair. I am very concerned that other problems will arise and cause the CEL to come on again, or worse. I may be able to return the car w/o penalization. I do love it and would rather keep it w/ the confidence that nothing else will happen for now. They are replacing it for free, but how do I get them to believe that the EGR, O2 sensor, etc. could cause these problems and have them check it?

Thanks for any help.

Right low beam already went out too. Not a great 1st impression.
    I was able to get them to give me a 12 yr/ 12k warranty
    Did you mean 12 month/12k warranty?

I may be able to return the car w/o penalization. I do love it and would rather keep it w/ the confidence that nothing else will happen for now. They are replacing it for free, but how do I get them to believe that the EGR, O2 sensor, etc. could cause these problems and have them check it?
    Was the car certified by the seller? Has the seller written down in the contract that all necessary repairs would be covered during the warranty period? Contact the seller to express your concerns and see what is said if you were to return the car and whether there are any "special" charges (penalties).

You may want to consider getting an independent assessment done by a garage/mechanic that you trust. You can mention specific concerns (e.g. EGR). The mechanic may be able to evaluate the overall condition of the car and alert you to potential problems in the near future.

With a seven year old car you should expect to have some repairs required. Based on the mechanic's evaluation you could decide which are reasonable (e.g. worn tires need to be replaced eventually), which are trivial (e.g. burnt bulb) and which are serious repairs that you don't want to have to face (e.g. faulty transmission).

My 2002P5 has had its issues but on the whole I am very satisfied with the vehicle and its repair history.

Keep us posted and good luck!
  • Hola... new to website... great insights.....
    I would appreciate everyones input regarding modification to get more MPG
    Any sugjestions?
    Tires: (stock Dunlops are great but ware quickly) Replaced with non-stock..miss the performance.. small milage drop...reasonable compromise? need better shoes!
    Gas: (87Octane) any benefits 89?
    Oil: (5W-30 Dino w/ 3k changes) Synthetic? 10W-40? Is it too late to convert?
    Air: (K&N, intake unmodified) Any more sugjestions?
    Mileage Computer: fun or practical?
    Reprogramming: expensive... is it worth it?
    Oddities: small leakage at valve cover...should I worry?

After adpoting a hypermiler driving habits I average 24.5mpg.
    Most driving is California city 90%, 10% freeway.

P5 2003 w/miles: 75K, generally stock, lovingly maintained

Thanks for your imput! :)
  • pete79pete79 Posts: 4
    I'm guessing you know all this because its obvious stuff, but here it is anyway:
    Is your car manual or automatic? From my experience, it's how you drive that makes the difference. Not the gizmos you add to your car.
    If manual, shift @ 2000rpm. No hard accelerations: makes a big difference too. Put on neutral when coming to a stop/going off highway (avoid downshifts). If you see a red light ahead, go easy on the speed... just let the car roll to the light rather than accelerate and brake.
    Keep trunk empty. Turn AC off when not needed. Respect speed limits.

And best tip ever: walk or bike for the short trips! :)

2001 protege. Just above 60K
    I'm guessing you know all this because its obvious stuff, but here it is anyway:
    Another obvious one: keep your baby well tuned. Or as the Beatles would say
    "In Penny Lane there is a fireman with an hourglass
    And in his pocket is a portrait of the Queen.
    He likes to keep his fire engine clean,
    It's a clean machine."
    :)