Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    Tsberkey4,

I've had my '00 C230 for almost 3 years and did not know this. Thanks very much!!

- Paul
  • I have a 2002 c320 with 21k miles and seem to have a fair number of chips in the paint on the hood. Also, the windshield, which I had replaced last February after taking a small stone, chipped again while on the freeway in Massachusettes. Is it just coincidence or do these cars chip more easily than normal?
  • No matter what car brand you own everyone is complaining about the new water-based paints that are environmntally friendly but chip easily. The old acrylics and enamels that were solvent based have been legislated out of existence and until someone develops some type of "new" coating that is more chip resistant while still being environmentally friendly, we have to put up with what is currently available. Some people feel that paints colors with more pigment in them are more chip resistant. The most popular Mercedes color (silver) has less pigment than other colors. I own 3 different Mercedes (2 silver, 1 white) and the white does not seem to chip as easily as the silver. White has more pigment than silver so this theory may have some credence.
  • I purchased the vehicle brand new this January. No problem yet. I've got 4k miles on this baby. Anyone out there experienced any problems with this vehicle, pls let me know. Thanks.
  • I recently purchased my Kompressor and have gotten several dead batteries after leaving the car sit for a couple days. The dealer has replaced the battery twice with no success. They're now telling me I need a built in charger (that they want to charge me $300 for) and I'll have to plug the thing in every night. They tell me that this is a common problem in Mercedes of every class. (They actually don't call it a problem, according to them everybody who owns a Mercedes plugs their car in). For some reason I find it hard to swallow that you can spend so much money on a car and have to plug it in. (especially since they never told me this when I first had the problem).
    I'm just wondering if any body else has had this problem. Are they telling me the truth??
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    They have got to be kidding. I never heard of such a thing. If your battery keeps dying, something is draining the current. Insist they find the fault, especially if it is under warranty.
  • My wife owns a 2003 C230K coupe and has approximately 9,100 miles on the odometer. She NEVER has had the battery drain issue and has at times left the car sit for 2 weeks without using it. I find it hard to believe that a Mercedes Service Department thinks their customers are that ignorant! It is either time to call the Mercedes zone representative or take the vehicle to another dealer for warranty service. Do not put up with this level of customer service. It is one of the reasons that Mercedes is sinking rapidly in J D Powers customer satisfaction surveys.
  • You have a dealership that is trying to screw you. I can't think of any car gas engine car that would require overnight charging. I would call the district manager for Mercedes and report this dealership.
  • I have a 1999 c280 with 64500 miles. The engine warning light indicator comes frequently. I have replaced the gas cap which didn't help. I visited dealer who informed me that a diagnostic had to be performed at $150.00. Is there a "reset switch" on the engine. I had one on my Lexus. What could this problem be? Any suggestions
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Hi sgsutn - Sometimes disconnecting the negative battery cable (for a minute), and reconnecting it, will clear any trouble codes the computer has stored. This has worked for me (different make/model though). Be sure to turn off the radio/electrical accessories in your car before doing this. If the code is cleared but problem is still there, then the code/light will probably return after a few drive cyles.

Btw, some auto parts stores (like AutoZone) will pull the codes for free and decipher why the check engine light is on.

For more discussion on warning light & trouble codes, check out this discussion. "Check Engine" light. Also, here's another discussion that you may find helpful: MB C-Class Owners: Care & Maintenance Good luck.

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • i have a 98 c230 with 40,000 mi. took it in for an alignment, and was told tie rod was worn, but the tire shop said entire rack assembly has to be replaced tie rods can't be changed alone, they were also going to ckeck with the dealer on this but said cost could be $1600 for part plus 3 hr. labor, can anyone offer some input on this. thanks, carmen
  • I have a 98 C280 and the dealer told me it needs new shocks. I am contemplating going with after market Koni shocks. Bilsteins are standard on this car. Does anybody have any experience with Koni shocks on their Benz? I am also open to any other brand.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    design786 - If you don't get a response here soon, you should copy/paste your question into one of our other C-Class discussions. To start, here's Mercedes-Benz C-Class (Coupes & Hatchbacks) and Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans. Good luck.

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • stefrzstefrz Posts: 1
    I think the dealer is taking advantage of me. Its been in 7 times for service problems since last Oct. 5 of those 7 I've had them look at the engine because it shakes and barely runs in reverse in the mornings when backing out of my driveway. The dealer keeps telling me they find nothing wrong and they can't replicate the issue. Seems like it has a start up engine problem but Mercedes won't admit it.

My A/C blower broke this past March. When I picked the car up at closing time, I drove off the lot and realize about 3 miles down that heat still wasn't working. This happened to be a Friday, so I had to go the weekend driving in Chicago winter weather with steam coming from my mouth - it looked like I was smoking a cigarette. When I brought the car back on MOnday, they simply said - Oh we just happened to get a defective blower.....never said sorry. What are the chances of a year and half old car having the blower break the first time, but then have the replacement be defective? Sounds like bull.

The car seems to have no acceleration at times. I can have the gas pedal floor when accelerating at a stop light and also when merging onto an expressway - yet the car has absolutely no pick up. It is very moody- sometime drives great, then other times I can feel every gear change while driving and it has no pick up. The dealer tells me I probably just bought bad gas or didn't buy 93 octane. I have never put anything BUT 93 octane in my car and I buy my gas from Mobil all the time - sometimes shell - nothing else.

The breaks have to be 'cleaned' every six months because the special breaking system gets a build up of 'break dust'?????? Has anyone else been told this? I've brought the car in 2 times because the car wasn't stopping very good and seems to be slipping. This is how they responded. They when I called another Mercedes dealer, they said they have never heard of this.

Last week I had it in for repairs. The sunroof wouldn't open. The dealer told me it was an electronic problem.

If anyone has had similar issues- I would like to pursue a lemon law case for the engine issue. My car has 20,000 miles and is 2 years old now.

I think my starter motor needs to be replaced. As the weather is getting chillier my car is starting its morning 'stalls' at startup. This only happens when the weather is colder than 60F. When I back out of the driveway it shakes and sputters. Then as soon as I put it in foward drive -its fine. It does idle very rough and sometime sounds like its running on diesel. I know something is majorly wrong but Mercedes is going to try to string me along until my warranty expires. They keep saying their computer diagnostics can't replicate the problem.

Last week my sunroof wouldn't open....they said it was an electrical problem and had to fix.

My a/c is very moody. Some days doesn't seem to blow cold air at all. Sometimes when I need the heat, the car bearly heats up.
    About 5 months ago the blower broke and had to be replaced. I think its on its way to breaking again. How did you get them to admit the air was ineffective?

I also notice that the car sometimes seems to be running on one cylinder. Sometimes it has great pick up and drives great, then other times I have it floored and it barely picks up. Is this what you experienced?

How did you get them to give you the new car? I just want to get rid of this piece of junk. My next car is going to be Japanese.

Any insight you could provide would be most helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stephanie
    stephaniepavisic@yahoo.com
  • Could you please post the name of the M-B dealer you have been dealing with in Chicago? I would like to know so that I can avoid them. It sounds like you are getting the runaround.
  • ahsanahsan Posts: 1
    Hi, I am about to purchase a 98 C280 with 75K miles. THe car seems to be in failry good conddition, any suggestions or opinions on how this car is?
    thanks
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Suggest you go to the mainline C-Sedan thread elsewhere in Edmunds and read the last few entries there. The watch-out-fors are nicely spelled out.

The '98 was the second year of the new automatic, and the first year in our market for the new V6 - there are some things you need to look at, and they are well summarized in this thread.
  • robaarobaa Posts: 2
    We just had our 1st mini snow storm in the East and my 2002 c320 sport sedan (rear wheel drive) has the worst traction I've ever had. Does any body know if strictly snow rated tires will help or that's just the way it is with this car.

PS: the MB 24hour service was helpful in suggesting that the ESP must be turned off, or the tires will not turn if slipping. When ESP the is on, and you are at slippery start up, you can forget about going anywhere.
  • rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    If you have the summer tires due to the sport package you will want to change them out for dedicated snows. You can get a package on tirerack.com that will arrive ready to mount.

I have done this on my c-coupe and I am very pleased with the results.

JR
  • crvolscrvols Posts: 23
    I have a 2002 C230 Coupe with the standard 16" wheels. I bought a set of Michlein Artic Alpins from Tire rack mounted on a set of $105 rims, total cost about $900. I put them on in October and take them off in April. They (or something similar) are what you need. They are quiet and smooth unlike old "snow" tires. Good tracking especialy with my auto transmission in winter mode.
  • Be careful exiting your 240-320 C-class. Sometimes the seat belt doesn't retract all the way and gets hooked on the door latch. When you shut the door it breaks the door switch just under the latch. It happened to me twice. Dealer fixed it under warranty.
  • cpisanocpisano Posts: 23
    Does anyone know of a clean way to remove the airbag warning decal on the visor? Mine is starting to peel off but it does not appear it will come off cleanly. It will leave part of the decal on the visor if I pull it off.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    You can carefully work most of it off, and then get the adhesive off with Goo-Gone, or similar products from your local market or drug store. This is one of the first things we do when we get a new car - get rid of all of those stickers.
  • migh16migh16 Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any problems with too much vibration at idle. It might just be me, but I don't remember any vibration during the first 3000 miles. Any solutions to the problem would be helpful thanks.
  • I find the air conditioner of my C 230 coupe` does not get very cold. I have also driven the 4 door C Class Merc and their air conditioners do not seem any better. Are Mercedes air conditioners not as powerful as they used to be in older model cars and is there a way to get it to go colder.

PS I live in a warm climate,
  • THE AWNSER TO THE NOISE FROM ENGINE AREA WHEN COLD IS THE AIR INJECTION PUMP WHICH IS ELECTRIC AND SOUNDS LIKE A HOOVER VACUME,AND IT IS A NORMAL NOISE.
  • berrill,

I'm not sure about older MB's, but its been my general observation that European cars have less chilling capacity than generic American iron. Much of this comes from them being designed for Europe, which is a generally less severe climatic climate (both hot & cold).

Thus said, I've found my C230K's A/C to have been adequate so far...I particularly appreciate the center dashboard vent which chills the windshield glass and reduces radiation heating of my face.

It can cause external condensation if its _really_ humid out, but fortunately, my local climate doesn't have too much of that problem.

-hh
  • '01 C320 Sport..64Kmi...in service 3 yrs 2 months...all highway miles. Third battery in 2 months...keeps dying overnight in the cold. Several control units have been replaced (door, seat[2], one rear SAMS unit; no change. Alarm does not always disengage when opening doors with remote. Door locks open fine, but when a door is opened the alarm sounds. Sometimes the alarm will sound by itself while car sits by its lonesome. Left alone overnight, battery is dead. Dealer has the car 3 weeks! still can't find the drain. Any similar stories?
  • I need to replace the shocks on my Mercedes C280. The car only has 67000 miles but the dealer believes that the shocks are worn out. There are many aftermarket brands like Bilstein, Koni, etc. They are definitely cheaper. I am a little hesitant in installing a different brand of shocks (I might mess up the suspension characteristics). Does anybody have any suggestions? I am interested in Koni shocks. Has anybody ever used konis on a C280 before?
  • I HAVE A 99 C280, AND THE LIGHT IN THE CLIMATE CONTROL IS OUT, DOES ANY ONE NO HOW TO REPLACE?