Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Thanks for responding rzen
    My veh just passed an emission test in late June (req'd in PA during inspectn)
    I better look into the catalytic convertor as suggested
    Thanks a bunch
  • jcbabyjcbaby Posts: 3
    MY HUSBAND HAS DECIDED TO CHANGE MY OIL (C-240, 2002), BUY THE OIL FILTER AND OIL. DO WE NEED ANYTHING ELSE AND HOW DO WE RESET THE MESSAGE?
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    There's no way that I am aware of on restting the chage oil message unless you have a special plug in computer that Mercedes or some mechanics have.

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

In order to change the oil, will he need a "topsider" to suck up the oil?
    Not sure about that. What I do know is that the electronic sensor that measures the oil level is very sensitive whether you're above or below the recommended level, so personally I'd take that oil you bought, and take it to a MB mechanic, and pay them $40-$50 to do it properly.

I'm getting this humming sound - more of a squeal noise....don't know where it's coming from. But, when I tap the brake petal it goes away. Do you know what this might be?
    No idea. Could be anything. Another good reason to get a reputable mechanic to do basic maintenance, he can usually tell you what the weird noises are.

• rowlandjrowlandj Posts: 254
    A topsider to remove the oil from above is recommended. Also the filter is a cartridge type that is also accessed from above.

For removing the oil there is a dipstick looking tube that has a cap for the extractor tube to be fed in. For the filter there's a black plastic cap at the top front of the engine that you remove. The new cartridge comes with o-rings that you change as well.

Pela makes a good oil extractor and marine shops often carry them as it's a common way to change oil on marine engines.

The reset of the reminder is covered in the owners manual.

Don't forget to use an MB approved oil such as Mobil1 European 0w-40.
  • jcf4jcf4 Posts: 9
    Will one of those dent removal kits work? About 1 inch long.
  • Hi, new to the Merccedes family with my '08 C300.
    Heard that removal can be from Mitvac suction or similar device & top side filter.
    Coming from BMW that was an attraction for sure.
    Are there any documented instructions any1 can provide a link to pls?

Thanks
  • Just try a yahoo search for "Mercedes C oil change diy" you will likely find what you are looking for. There are some DIY sites out there with detailed instructions and photos. For instance. mbworld.org.
  • Help! Each time I start car HOT/Cold there is a constant clicking coming from dasboard that lasts approx. 30 seconds and then stops. Start car hear clicking
    shut off with in 30 seconds still clicks. Air or fan is off.
    Terry
    I had the exact same problem in my car (01 C240).

From what I understand it's the upper dash vent solenoid (little electric device that opens or closes the vents inside the dash, since they are electronically controlled).

It's not going to affect drivablility but in winter time you might see ice forming inside on the windshield after it's been parked overnight, depending on the climate you live in.

I never bothered getting it fixed as I think it's about $1000, and I drove with it for about 10 months, before trading in the car.

Good luck

• Last year I bought a "97 MB C280 for my daughter's first car and it runs perfectly, EXCEPT, at random times it just won't start. This condition will last from several hours to several days. I have had it towed to 3 separate Mercedes mechanics, inc. the local MB dealership and no one can figure it out. The dealer replaced a wire, saying it was getting too hot. Then they said I needed a new key but that hasn't made a difference. Another mechanic replaced the main computer. That hasn't worked. I tried squirting WD40 in the ignition key hole cause someone told me they clog up. That hasn't worked. The MB dealer says the car thinks it is being stolen, but they haven't a solution. I'm going nutswith this car. Help please!
  • I have a 2000 C230 MB, runs great, THe past few months When I turn my lights on, at times the right rear tail light will not come on, usually after I drive for a long distance it will come on (dashboard warning light comes on when it is not working and then goes off when it works) I've had the bulb changed a couple of times. Bulb not blown. I guess the bulb is not making good connection in socket, or somewhere else, then after drive a while over enough bumps it connects?? really Can't complain since car runs great. Only had to have front flex disc changed last yr due to typical wear and tear. Has 136,000 miles on car. Know how to fix this?
  • I agree, not MB fault if tires wear out fast. I own 2000 c230K sedan put goodyear tires on in 2005, have 45,000 miles on these tires. (of course I get regular tire rotations, keep MB suggested tire pressure) now nov 2008 and have 4/10 tire tread left will put new tires on. I think it is how you take care of tires. (driving, rotations,alignment etc) and how many miles they will last, rather than it being MB car fault.
  • kufukufu Posts: 14
    Same thing happened to me last year. Fix is very simple. Your right tail light does not have good connection in socket. Pull out the bulb and with small scrudriver, bend a bit end of the socket. It worked for me.
  • gotgt3gotgt3 Posts: 34
    If you don't mind me asking how did you trade it in after 10 months - I was under the impression trade-ins are only possible on fully paid off cars? Is that the link I'm missing?
    Actually I drove it for 10 months with the broken dash solenoid before trading it in.

That's the link you missed.

I actually had it longer than that, about 21 months. But yes you are correct, I did owe money on it. However I sell cars for a living, so I bought it at a wholesale price, and didn't lose too much. Overall I did lose money on it. :cry:

You can trade in vehicles that are not paid off, it depends on what it's worth vs what you owe on it.

If you have a car worth $10k, but you owe only $5k on the loan, you can trade it in, and get $5k equity (cahs, downpayment).

If your car is worth $10k but you owe $15k on it, you can still trade in in some cases, or sell it, but you have to pony up the remainder $5k to ocver the balance.

• I am new to Mercedes Benz and I'm actually trying to fix a 2001 C240 that doesn't start. I need to replace the Neutral Switch and I can't find it. Please help!!!

The car is not starting because the car is not recognizing that the shift knob is in "P". Let me explain more: In the little screen in the dash, where the gear position is indicated, nothing is selected. After moving the shift knob over all the different gears (P,R,N,D) nothing was indicated in the screen in the dash. It is my belief that there is something wrong with the part that tells the computer in which gear the transmission is in, which I have been told is the Neutral Switch.

Your comments, ideas and help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!!

:confuse: :sick:
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 770
    What should a "Service B" include and how much should it cost? After paying $122 for a simple oil change at my dealer, I'm thinking I may go to an independent mechanic.
  • Usually around $500.00
    I reside currently in the Illinois area but previously lived in kansas city Mo. and both MB dealerships charged approx. $500.00
    I stopped taking my 2000 C230K to an MB Dealership in 2005 and take it to a Bosch authorized independent repair shop.
    When I was in Kansas city, Mo 2005-2008 I went to star motors.
    Now,2009 I go to Edwardsville Auto Inc. near my current residence in Illinois. Much more reasonable and same person services my car so he knows what is going on with my car and I like dealing with the same mechanic.
    you can find a bosch independent mechanic at www.boschservice.com
    hope this helps.
  • My engine coolant light is on and my coolant is full and clean. The fan in the engine area began running high when that sensor came on. Does anyone know or have an idea as to what we should check to correct this fan from running high constantly. The fan runs high all the time the vehicle is on.
  • Coolant service indicator states to visit shop. The Radiator fan is rotating twice as fast and loud. Coolant level is normal and clean. I have also cleaned all the wire connections and fan will not stop. Does anyone know how to reset the coolant sensor indicator, so that the fan will turn on only when needed?

NOTE: The temperature on the car engine is normal at all times.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Posts: 770
    Thanks for the advice. I'll start looking around for an independent.
  • rpi67rpi67 Posts: 3
    Anyone find a non dealer supplier for C300 wiper blades

The rain X laditute and Anco sb24 blades do not fit and the bosch site does not list any.
  • A friend has the same basic problem with the Coolant Indicator - visit shop indication. Not sure about the fan I Will have to check with him.
    Any info on what the fix would be?

Thanks

Phil
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Does anyone know if the radiator and heater hoses on the 2002 C230K are regular rubber, or the long-life silicone rubber? Our C230K was manufactured in April of 2002, so will soon be seven years old. I am trying to decide if the hoses need to be changed.

I know that I also need to clean and repack the front wheel bearings with fresh grease, so will probably need to go to the dealer to buy the grease seals.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Is this thread dead? Twenty days with no reply seems odd.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    I'm here. but simply don't know the answer to your question.

If it were my car, I'd think that we're certainly getting close to the time when new hoses would be a good idea. Frankly, I don't think the materials matter much - it's how the car is used, and the miles [you don't say how many miles are on the car]. Heat is the enemy - if you live in a warm climate, or do a lot of hot weather driving, then replacing the hoses would be a good thing, period.