Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• I understand the FX has the same motor as the Murano (Nissan 3.5litre). The Murano accepts 87 octane fuel. Does the manual in the FX reflect this info? Or does it REQUIRE premium fuel? If it take premium only, is there an explanation?
  • wibblewibble Posts: 569
    "If it take premium only, is there an explanation?"

280hp instead of 245hp. Actually, according to the manual you can use standard unleaded.
  • Thanks. A lot of the literature I have read said it requires premium, but i hadn't yet gone to the dealership and looked in the manual.

Cheers.
    You're welcome. You can always view or download the owners manual at http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/infiniti/deptog.asp?dept%5Fid=58
  • huma2...what directions are we to follow? I'm having trouble getting anything when I call Infiniti. I do experience a discomfort due to the seat controls. Do you mean there is some sort of "fix"? Even something to just help a bit would be good.

Steve
  • Hi All -

2003 FX45 here. Anyone have any experience with seat covers or a fabric covering that looks good and will protect the leather if you want to put a dog in your FX rather than just the back?

Any links to what you bought? thx!
  • I have a pair of sheepskins ordered from here:

http://www.seatcoverspecialties.com/
  • huma2huma2 Posts: 24
    i guess i wasn't clear, i meant to follow the prompts for the right extension. i think its the last one for other problems. i got an operator who filed my complaint. if infiniti gets enough compaints they will propbably take some sort of action. i was just without my car for 2 weeks trying to get a door fixed and my back felt great, within 30 min. of driving it i felt the pressure and pain return. i love the car but not being comfortable in it sucks. good luck let me know if you have any other questions.
    paul
  • Good advice re. calling Infiniti. For a quick fix on the seat controls pressing on the right thigh, I got a good quality (about $70) sturdy flexible backrest with a seat/back...it works for me. Good luck.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    Posted this also in another prominent FX forum, but no replies yet:

I recently came back from a 3-week holiday and just used the FX yesterday. After a bit of driving, maybe 20 miles or so, the 'Service Engine Soon' lamp came on steady. Hmmm...that didn't look good and the engine was pegging about 1000 to 1200 rpm at idle. I seem to remember that the engine stayed around 600 or 700 rpm at idle. Anyway, I glanced at the manual regarding the 'Service Engine Soon' and it says that it may be the gas cap not being closed correctly:

If the malfunction indicator lamp comes on steady or blinks while the engine is running, it may indicate a potential emission control malfunction. The malfunction indicator lamp may also come on steady if the fuel filler cap is loose or missing, or if the vehicle runs out of fuel. Check to make sure the fuel filler cap is installed and closed tightly, and that the vehicle has at least three gallons of fuel in the fuel tank. After a few driving trips, the lamp should turn off if no other potential emission control system malfunction exists.

Operation
    The malfunction indicator lamp will come on in one of two ways:
    - Malfunction indicator lamp on steady
    An emission control system malfunction has been detected. Check the fuel filler cap. If the fuel filler cap is loose or missing, tighten or install the cap and continue to drive the vehicle. The lamp should turn off after a few driving trips. If the lamp does not turn off after a few driving trips, have the vehicle inspected by an authorized INFINITI dealer. You do not need to have your vehicle towed to the dealer.

So, I opened the gas cap and placed it back properly. It seemed that nothing was wrong with the way it was initially placed, anyway. Drove a bit but the lamp stayed on until I got home. I drove it to work this morning for observation, and it still has the same behavior. Nothing wrong with acceleration and engine response, BTW.

A week before I left for vacation, I had the FX serviced at my buddy's shop where I saw all the work done. The only thing that was done differently was the change to Amsoil synthetic oil plus an off-the-shelf aftermarket air filter, nothing special.

I have less than 17K miles on it and always use premium fuel. What do you guys think? Should I just have Infiniti look at it? Would they hassle me with the Amsoil synthetic oil?
  • Premium (91+ Octane) is required in the FX45 V8 Engine, however it is only recommended in the FX35 V6 engine.
  • The aftermarket air filter would be the first thing I'd check, especially with the idle speed being off from normal. Nissan's VQ engines Mass Air Flow sensors are pretty sensitive and could be malfunctioning if the air filter wasn't installed pefectly or was maybe over or under oiled.

I'd go to an AutoZone if you've got one close to you as they'll read the code for free, then you'll have an idea what's causing the CEL.

I'd bet on the air filter though.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    It somehow resolved itself. I filled up the tank 'coz I was almost out of gas and after about 45 miles, the lamp went away. The idle RPMs are back to where they were.

Someone from another forum said that it may have been due to the vehicle sitting for 3 weeks and the initial use had a rich fuel mixture which may have temporarily fouled up the OS sensors. Everything's OK, now. Thanks.
  • buster6buster6 Posts: 100
    I am having a loud squeak from the brakes while backing up in the morning. I spoke with my service advisor about it when I had my last oil change. He said that there is a new bulletin out for this issue but no resolve as of yet (2 weeks ago). Does anyone else have this issue, if so has Infiniti done anything for you yet, or do they have the issue solved as of yet? Thanks
  • buster6buster6 Posts: 100
    I have had a problem with my drivers seat (leather where you sit) pulling up and stretching. I had it replaced once (when the car was 1 month old and 3,000 miles). I now am at 4 months old and 12,000 miles and am having the same problem. I am 5'10" and weigh 150 lbs, so I don't think it is anything related to abuse or my proportions. When I brought the issue up to my service advisor, he agreed with the problem, but said Infiniti would not cover another leather seat cover and wants to send it to a leather repair shop to have the seat re-stuffed with the underlying material (thinking that it is not the actual leather but the foam under that is the problem). Has anyone else had this issue or a different resolve? Thanks
    What color leather is it? I'm betting it's graphite. Other people have had this problem and it seems to be most prevalent on graphite. Brick and willow have had nowhere near the same problems as far as I know.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,577
    I'm having the passenger (graphite leather) seat replaced in my G35 for that reason.
  • I own a 2004 FX35 silver light beige interior love it.Easy on the eyes never goes out of style.
    Car has 5,500 mls. not a bit of trouble.The ride is somewhat harsh,hey it's a truck what do you expect. Leo-K
  • Tell them the recommended process the 2nd go around is unacceptable. I didn't know the warranty only covered one of everything. The seat leather is a problem on lots of FX's and they should cover every occurence within reason with OEM parts. How do you think re-stuffing with add'l padding will look? Exactly!
  • Can't say that I have a big problem but the leather is certainly gathering on the sides. Passenger seat looks worst, but then I mostly drive alone to/from work and can notice it.

How much leather was puling up, 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch ??