Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• ichiban470ichiban470 Member Posts: 45
    Gohanr1. I agree with the previous post regarding the adjustment switch for your HID lights . This was designed to be used when you are going over a hill so you can lower the beam, stopping a possibility of blinding the on coming traffic . Put it to "0" and see if that works for you , if not it's up to Infiniti to figure it out.
    Not a problem with my HID's . They work great and then some ! Best lights I've ever had !

Oil change is one of the cheapest preventative measures you can do for your vehicle . It will prolong your engine life and save you $$$ in the long run . I only use synthetic oils in all my vehicles . I change my oil religiously every 6,000 miles or less . Not a single one of my vehicles or previous vehicle I know of have had any engine problems . One vehicle had 240,000 miles , compression was still very good, valves were smooth , and engine was as strong as when I bought it . I don't trust anyone who says to go 7,500 miles between oil changes on regular "Dino" oil , unless they want to see you for a engine re built every 100,000 miles . I will admit the newer engines have better cylinder rings , valves , cams , etc. , so you might get a 150,000 miles before your engine re built instead . My 2cents,
    keep oil changing and you'll keep going .

For those who are interested . Still can't find a front end mask . Infiniti does not carry them . Colgan Bra Co. still does not make one and Stongard is still a " leave a message and I'll contact you" type deal . I will still keep looking and post if I find anything .

Just a note : Had a Rx330 guy look at my FX45
    the other day . Said he loved the 20" rims and the aggressive look . Stated also he wished he knew more about the FX before he bought the RX330 . Poor advertising by Infiniti ????
  • mudman2mudman2 Member Posts: 152
    I was told that if an engine is not designed for synthetic, you should not change to synthetic until the engine is well and truly run-in.

In these engines it actually STOPS good wear. So any engine parts where tolerances are designed to seat-in during the first few thousand miles do not and they can damage other parts.

You have to design the engine from scratch using materials and tolerances have been adjusted to suit the very very small wear characteristics.

If you wait and then change it will undoubtedly lengthen the life of the engine.

Also as the breakdown of synthetic is predictable and not influenced by burning effects, you can safely extend the change periods.

I just finished 60,000 miles in an ML430, with oil changes at 13050, 27300, 41700 and 55800. I never had to top off the oil, it ran quietly and very quickly even when I returned it off lease.

Basically when it told me to get a service.

my 2c
  • psb1013psb1013 Member Posts: 92
    I got my first oil-change for my FX45 recently at my local dealership and was shocked to get a bill for $55! All that was done was oil and filter change. I don't know--it's been a while since I actually paid for an oil change--when I had my previous X5 (lease), oil changes were free as part of the maintenance program. But $55??!!---Ouch!
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I paid 38 total for my first oil change. Not to bad only 10 more than I pay for my Chrysler and you get a free wash and vaccum too. Check your dealer website for special If I would have printed off the special it would have only bean about 30.
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    I was on my vacation when 3750 miles arrived and was prompted to get the first oil change.
    Just $85 at a New Mexico Jiffy Lube with Mobil 1. I supplied the wierd copper drain plug gasket. Be sure to pick up some at the dealer. Usually, I change the oil myself, and Mobil 1 is about $4 a quart at Costco.
    It takes 7 quarts for the FX45, and the filter adds some but doing it yourself keeps it under 40 bucks.
    As far as break-in is concerned, modern cars with their tighter tolerences don't need extensive break-in. The FXes have moly-coated pistons. Many cars run Syn as factory-fill. In fact, your warranty is toast if you put Dino oil in.
    It's a new world but some people can't adjust. Every jet engine since 1947 has used Syn oil. Dino oil oxidizes and burns too easily (low flash point).
    Modern auto engines run alot hotter than the old days. Radiator hoses don't seem to last as long and that may be the reason.
  • albdocalbdoc Member Posts: 23
    I do not think RX is primarily a chic vehicle , Neither does Lexus and they do not promotes it as one. If chics get attracted to the vehicle and their owner,It s not our fault .
    My opinion is always going to be biased as I , own one .
    Please check the second page of this months GQ magazine and also the promotional Lexus DVD9 available for free from the website ). That should clear your misconceptions.
    Infinity has a long way to compete with Lexus in this segment, specially with RX hybrid and HPX to follow. HPX ,IMHO does not any way seems to be designed for females .
    If at any time, I feel I need speed thrill and a sports based wagon/sedan, I will seriously think about Cayenne or an M5 rather than a PT cruiser on steroids.
    The Lexus RX WAS originally designed for females in mind....even the Lexus engineers admitted to it. Why do you think 9/10 RX drivers are women?....coincidence? I think you're just justifying your "male" side of your brain as to why you bought a RX. As far as the HPX, Lexus is just copying what Infiniti has done w/the FX....too late to the party, though. There is no other vehicle out there, Cayenne or M5, that can provide as much performance, handling, style, and utility for its price. Now go back to your RX board!
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Regarding the prior post to wait for the 2004 or buy now there is no contest.

You will probably recieve minor upgrades and refinements on the 2004 at little additional cost. And losing a years resale value when we are so close to the new models is silly.

I know that one of the changes to the 2004 is improvement in the passenger seat hight to accomadate shorter drivers. And there have been some minor mechanical problems and a serious recall that will have been addresed.

So if you can be patient and order your new 2004 in August with the exact options you want without eating the year of depreciation.

There may even be some new fun color choices.

Best Regards
    This CNW survey of female drivers will clear your misconceptions. Female drivers tend to go more for ford explorers and jeep cherokee. I bet you would start calling these as CHIC SUV's as well .This survey shows that > 60 % of the RX drivers were male and only 34% or so were female.
    http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://fubini.swarthmore.edu/%7EWS30/CNWReport.html
    As far as HPX is concened .Please check out the car 's pictures specially interior which is unique in the car industry and absolutely does not resemble FX in any way.The pictures of HPX are now available on quite a few website.
    Listen the FX45 will out perform every lexus currently produced except for the GS430 which beats it by .4 of a second. It still out brakes and has a higher skidpad number.

Lexi are for people who want status of a bmw but the reliability of a toyota, so what it drives like mush and acceleration can be mesuared by a sundial.

Come On the HPX is original... Yeah and I guess microsoft invented windows and DOS too huh.

The RX is a nice soft vehicle with places for purses, cell phones and the like. The FX is a perfomance machine that can accelerate with BMW sedans and brakes like corvettes and porsches. I test drove the RX330 and the rx300 before that. Even my wife said they were to girly for her.

I know Jbaumgart has both I don't mean to disrespect the vehcile but they are not comparable they are car based and cost about the same and are made by japenese companies the comparison ends there IMO.
  • jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    You've been flaming on the FX board now for several weeks. A Lexus Lover that posts on the Fx board more than his own. Maybe a closet Fx'er? "If you need a speed thrill you will seriously think about a Cayenne or an M5". Gee, only another $15-$20000! I doubt the M5 would be a potential buy for you because you can't get it in an automatic! The point is the FX is a serious performing sedan that will drive, handle and have the quality of anything on the road in its price range. It just happens to resemble an SUV. It does it all in one vehicle. If you want to talk performance, then don't talk Lexus RX. If you were a serious performance enthusiast, then you wouldn't be making the posts you're making. The FX isn't for everyone. Like the Harley Davidson saying "If we have to explain, then you wouldn't understand". It's obvious you don't understand. Please go talk to the chics on your own board.
    You think HPX is a copy of FX . Can you even name a car which even remotely resembles this .
    http://www.mcarsweb.com/lexus/hpxf.jpg
    if you think LEXUS will bring that interior to market in the next 5 years, I need some of what you're smoking :P
    I am not to sure, at least this website talks about wait for a year http://abcnews.go.com/sections/business/SciTech/forbes_carshow_030425.html.
    by the way ,I am a non smoker.But if it happens in a year ,you will need to smoke what you intend to( :P), as I am not sure how much will you get ,from trading in your FX.........
    Take it easy
    Really, what the heck is your point?! You really think you're out to make friends here by flaming the FX on this board? If you really love your powder-puff RX or whatever...fine, then do everyone a favor and get off your A.S.S. off of this board. Everyone here knows that your're just a troll who probably can't even afford a trike.
    I will leave this board with the following message posted on RX 330 board by Squack, as you initiated this discussion .

Let's get it right, please by squack  

Chic: Rhymes with geek. Homonym of sheik.

n. stylishness, elegance
    v. cleverly stylish
    adj. stylish, elegant

"The RX 330 is very chic."
    "Chic people drive it"

on the other hand...

Chick: slang for a young woman

"The RX 330 is not a chick car, it's a chick-magnet."
    "Chicks dig the RX 330 and the manly men who drive them"

Good luck.....
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ... we all have it out of our systems and are ready to return to the designated topic! :-)

tidester, host
    Dear Albdoc,

From one Lexus ( LX 470 ) owner to another ... Thanks for leaving this site !

P.S.: My FX45 is tops in it's category !
              When I take my LX470 in for service
              @ Lexus , they give me a RX300
               for a Courtesy Vehicle . I also test
               drove the RX330 ( could have got
               a better deal due to Lexus repeat
               buyer program ). Didn't like either
               one for all points made above and
               before .

P.S.S.: Not all Lexus owners are this rude.
                  Most respect everyone opinion and
                  WILL ADMIT WHAT IS A BETTER
                  VEHICLE IN IT'S OWN CATEGORY !
                  M5 ?
    Ahem! Let's play nice!

tidester, host
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I agree with albdoc. SAVs, including the X5, for me are too full of compromises. I don't care how fast it gets to 60 or what it's skidpad is. However, I recognize there are people who might like having a SAV. I myself for my next vehicle, is seriously considering going back to a station wagon and looking at the new Chrysler with the 5.7 hemi.
  • daschtickdaschtick Member Posts: 63
    "SAVs, including the X5, for me are too full of compromises."

To me, traditional SUV's are the compromise, as they accelerate slow, handle sloppy, and brake poorly. Just because I have a small family, and occasionally tow a 2500 lb boat, does not mean that I should have to "compromise" and drive an overweight SUV daily. Sure they do have the ability to go "off-road", but I NEVER do that.

Actually, I have been using my '92 Acura Legend for all of these duties (including towing the boat!) for the last 5 years without a problem, except I'd like more cargo capacity. In my next vehicle, I do not want to give up the performance of a car, just because I'd like a little more room and increased towing capacity. The FX fits my needs perfectly.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Well said.
    "To me, traditional SUV's are the compromise."

That is my point, a traditional SUV allows me to fill it up with a load of 12 foot 2 by 4s. Haul on 18' ladder on the roof, or carry my 2 kids, wife, and 3 of the kids friends - all buckled in. (Piling in 7 people is the norm around my house). Or tow up to 7,000 lbs. I already have a performance car, that gets between 24 and 29 mpg. For me a SAV, cross-over SAV, car based SUV or the ilk is a huge compromise. My daily driver won't carry heavy loads, a SAV won't either. Our family likes having vehicles, out of which one is a heavy duty hauler. However, I could see myself in a nice big station wagon.

Again I recognize there are people who, if the manufacturers will build it, they will buy it.
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    You make the Top 10 in discussions and all the squirrels come out!!

The FX wasn't intended for everyone. I LOVE mine and like the fact that it is still unique. I like the feel of taking a corner without the feel of tipping over. I don't need to haul 7 people, 12 ft 2x4's, 7000lb trailers or 18' ladders. If I did, I wouldn't have an FX.

Do you suppose there is a bit of jealousy from those who need to haul all that big stuff around, that their large SUV doesnt look or handle as good as an FX???
    I need to haul stuff on occasion and I like a very sporty ride. So hear is my solution. We leased the FX as the sporty ride with some utility to get us by (family of four by the way). I will probably trade in my sedan Chrysler 300M on a Nissan Armada or Ford Expedition in the next 12 months. Why not just by a G35 or other sport sedan here were my reasons.

1) The fx is just so cool and other than an s80 excutive or 04 Jag vaden plas no other car has all the features of the fx (dvd, nav, laser cruise, 20" wheels etc)

2) I live in texas. In my 300M I see nothing as I am bombarded by full size SUV's I see more hummers than civics down here.

3) Saftey. With all these SUV's down here I don't want to be in a crash with one and me and/or my family is in a sedan. Size does matter in a crash.

4) No sedan (except maybe M5) has the curb appeal of the FX. and only a handful are more competent performers all around (0-60, braking, skidpad etc)

So this way I will have a vehicle to haul people and stuff. and a vehicle that fits my family as is and is fun as heck to drive. Just chomping at the bit till the armada comes out. Have already driven an expedition for a weekend and it is very impressive for what it is (acceleration is a tad sluggish) but worried about depreciation and reliability and hoping nissan will improve on what the Ford offers.
    How many times does one haul 12 foot 2 by 4s? haul an 18' ladder on the roof?

I don't remember the last time I needed to do any of these. If one does haul 12 foot 2 by 4s all the time, then maybe a pickup truck is better? However, if once a year is the frequency, then I think renting a hauler at the local U-Haul would be cheaper? That's what I did when I loaded 80 boxes of laminate flooring, which by the way, might not even load into a 7-passenger fullsize, traditional SUV. But I could be wrong.
    Just like albdoc, what is your point?! What is the point of your constant rambling about? It's pretty obvious to everyone here that you simply don't like the FX. On one hand, you seem to like full-size SUV's and in other posts, you seem to prefer wagons. No one here cares. We love our FX's and if you don't...get out!
    "Just like albdoc, what is your point?! What is the point of your constant rambling about?"

My point is not about the FX per se, but I'm wondering how many times manufacturers are going to develop and market niche vehicles like the FX/X5/Cayenne (although the Cayenne is supposed to be a real off-roader) that gets very little gas mileage above and beyond real SUVs with much less utility. The FX may be a nice piece of automotive engineering, but I'm wondering when the auto manufacturers are going to come to their senses and stop trying to make these gas-guzzling vehicles into rocket ships. Ford, Dodge, BMW, Porsche are all guilty. Now back on topic.

BTW if you think I'm rambling you are more than welcome to hit the CTRL-ALT-DELETE key on your computer when you come to my posts.

crikey - I do a lot of my own work around the house. Hauling heavier than usual cargo and/or a lot of passengers is the norm for me.
    For those who might be concerned how long these LED tail lights will last before we have to replace them . I talked to a friend of mine who works for the company who makes these LED's . He told me they should last at least 10 to 15 years + . He was quite confident in the quality . This is good for I assume it will be a pretty penny to replace them but who's counting . Love the way they look at night and how it gets people's attention when I brake !
    crikey - I do a lot of my own work around the house. Hauling heavier than usual cargo and/or a lot of passengers is the norm for me.

That explains a lot. A full-size SUV, even a pickup truck, would be the best for someone like yourself, the avid do-it-yourselfer. Nothing wrong with that. And since you already have it, a full-size SUV gives you the best of both worlds -- hauling capacity as well as ample passenger room.

Your profile doesn't fit the target audience of the FX. For someone like myself and the other FX owners, it's the perfect vehicle. It has enough utility and passenger room while it provides exceptional performance and safety. I, for one, bought the FX for its safety features, not its performance abilities. I could've bought a Volvo XC90 or Acura MDX, but I felt that the FX offered more value and reliability (as with the MDX) with exemplary performance as a bonus. Unfortunately, most of these gas-guzzlers provide the best passenger protection, compared to other gas-thrifty vehicles.

So, it wasn't really a matter of if they build it, they will come, it was more of What took you so long? :)

Enjoy your projects, I'm sure they keep you busy.
    I understand the need for a full size SUV for those who REALLY need one, but for the rest of us, who never take anymore than 4 people or go off-road, yet would like more room for cargo, and a tow rating beyond 1000 lbs, crossovers like the FX are the ultimate answer.

I personally cannot believe all of the "soccer moms" driving full size SUVs that they can hardly see out of. They are sold on the size aspect of "safety", yet largely sacrifice on the visibility and maneuverability factor of safety - after all, the best accident is the one that is avoided altogether.

I also do a lot of home projects, but instead of dirtying up my $35,000+ vehicle with building materials, trees, and mulch, I hook up my $200 1000 pound 4 x 8 utility trailer. I use it around 2-3 times a year, and the other 362 days, it stands upright against the back wall of my garage. The real beauty is that I can tow it around my yard with my garden tractor, and I really don't care if I scratch it! Anything bigger can be delivered for less than the cost of a tank of gas in an Expedition.
    You are both more than welcome to continue participating in the discussion so long as you discontinue the personal sniping.

tidester, host
  • 93fsu193fsu1 Member Posts: 97
    Lowes and Home Depot both rent trucks when the need arises. Even better you can rent from UHaul or Budget for $20 for the day.

This vehicle is not targeted at the SUV crowd. I would think it is aimed at people like me who love their sporty cars but as they age and expand they need a more comfortable ride, are tired of vision being obstructed by all of the SUVs on the road, want performance and have never really liked the look of most "sports" sedans.

To me the choice is the G35 Coupe or the FX. The FX was more comfortable and the performance was not significantly differrent.

For most people the Highlander, Pilot, RX330, etc are all perfectly good choices for their lifestyle. I don't think the FX is aimed at them.
    I've rented U-haul trucks on a number of occasions ( $19.95 + miles & gas ) . Let all the damage of hauling cargo go on there vehicle and not mine ! Unless you are in construction , who really needs a truck ?

We can discuss why do they make an extended cab ? Or why do manufactures make 4 doors on a them ? Etc...... Some may say these are not a pick-up truck but do they fill a niche for some buyers ? A Station Wagons , when they first came out was it a niche vehicle? In the 80"s , was the Suburban a niche vehicle ? Had vans back then and Jeeps too. Was the Suburban a "cross-over" ?

The FX is the same in this way . It fills a niche between the SUV utility and the Sports car speed, agility, and Tech . I like being in this niche because you can''t categorize me (yet). I have the best of both worlds and maybe this is hard for some to understand .
    When my Lincoln LS Manual lease expired last month, I could have leased almost anything to replace it.
    I had had sedans since the earth cooled, had never needed a truck or real SUV and thought they were too big and/or too slow, and my two boys wanted the DVD player for the few trips we take each year. They also can't live for long without their Gamecube.
    My other vehicle is a 1996 Volvo station wagon, capable of hauling 7 people or 2 with a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood or drywall with the rear seats down. Even an S10 or Ford Ranger has a problem with that.
    I also wanted better performance than the X5 or ML320 and they got real expensive in their performance variations.
    I checked out the FX45 here in San Diego but the dealers could not get one in Diamond Graphite with Tech without a long distance trade. They also wanted to make some money on the lease and were quoting me over $840 a month with $2500 driveaway for 15k and 39 months.
    Riverside Infiniti had the color and the Willow/Black interior I wanted but not the deal. Evidently, here in SoCal, where 50k is no big deal, the FX is in big demand and it's take it or walk.
    So I started chatting with Danny at Grubbs, the GM, and Ralph the Sales Manager, and Mike the F&I man.
    Sold me the exact FX45 I wanted, in stock,listing at $52,700, for a cap cost of $48,459, payments of $735 per month with $2500 driveaway. I don't think they made a dime on the financing.
    I could have had them ship it to my door for about $600, but I had a family reunion in Nebraska the next week so I drove the Lincoln to Dallas, transfered the luggage to the FX, and they locked my LS in the back lot for 10 days at no cost and even washed it when I came back to drive both home.
    No surprises when I got to Dallas and Grubbs, just signed the lease agreement, put the $2500 down on the Mastercard,loaded the FX and drove off. No pressure, no wasted time, no add ons. They even threw in McGard wheel locks (a good idea with those 20" wheels).
    The car got nothing but stares, comments and questions the entire trip. The FX is pretty radical for the Midwestern area. A yellow H2 is old hat compared with the FX.
    Got about 19 mpg for about 500 miles but a lot of this was break-in and learning how to use the adaptive cruise control, which can reduce your mpg if you have the wrong technique.
    I got miles of smiles. I don't mind the "popcorn popper" ride (as 1 mag put it) because it has no body roll which I cannot stand. C&D tested the roadholding at .87g, which is higher than my LS. The 0-60 is 6.3, which is faster than a new V-8 LS. So I got my Sports car, and the cops think it's an innocuous, slow SUV.
    If 0-60 and g forces don't mean anything to you, then get the Suburban. 97% of SUV owners never go off the road, and I never will.
    The FX is an urban assault machine. I've already had a # of people try to race me and I always can show them my tail lights if necessary.
    The FX is testosterone on wheels. I'd probably have more fun but Premium is $2.00 a gallon here and a heavy foot can cost you more than just gasoline. Luckily, the AWD puts all the power to the ground so our local donut afficiandos won't be writing tickets for exhibition of speed, littering or excessive vehicle noise with the FX.
    The FX is a unique vehicle that defies definition. One word that does not define the FX but applies to almost all other SUVs is "appliance". The FX's purpose is not to carry everything and everybody. It's mission is to carry a few lucky people to their destination in style, luxury, and speed without boring practicality.
    Applicants for the position of FX driver should expect dynamic forces not unlike those at Six Flags. The meek shall not inherit the FX.
    The best candidates are technically oriented and not afraid to experience real driving excitement. Leave the rolling coffins to the rest of the driving population.
    "The FX is an urban assault machine."

I'm right there with you! I don't want to give up ANY of the performance, just because I want a little more room!
  • marinelomarinelo Member Posts: 7
    Is it my imagination or is there a huge blind spot out of the drivers side window when making left turns? has anyone experienced this? Also does anyone know how far you would get if you start the vehicle with the magic key and then remove it from the vehicle?? Just curious...
    Great post. Don't know if you remember but we used to go back and forth in the begining of the 300M vs LS thread a few years ago. Funny that we now have similar vehicles (I have a FX35). At least we can agree on what a great ride the FX is :D
    yes, there is a blind spot. just adjust your side view mirrors accordingly and it shouldn't be too much of an issue. or, get one of those small mirrors that attach to the rear view mirrors.
    Just saw the new VW Tourag parked at a mall today. It's decent looking but still very "boring" (a.k.a. conservative) compared to my FX45. I'm surprised as to how big it is compared to the FX. Even with a 310hp V8, I've read this vehicle weighs close to 5500lbs, so it's no match to the FX as far as performance. It's still an off-road beast with multi-adjustable suspension. Still, I believe the Tourag will steal some potential FX buyers. The crossover/SUV market is heating up!
  • slummyjslummyj Member Posts: 57
    You echo my feelings about my FX35 tech. I have never had an SUV or truck and never wanted one. When it was time to get rid of my Passat, the FX was my first choice. Also looked at the G35 and BMW33xi. I wanted something different in the interior, and the FX had brick. The G35 had only two choices and my last car had a black interior and the one before that a grey interior, so I wanted something different. The BMW had a brown interior, but it was hard to find one with that color, and there are so many BMW's around that I wanted something more unique. People are really amazed with this vehicle when they see it up close and the interior is striking.
    I looked long and hard at the G35 6MT to replace the Lincoln LS Manual.
    What pulled me into the FX was it's uniqueness.
    The wife couldn't drive a manual with ease. I was bored with cars, and the G35 has a problem with the BLSD system being impossible to turn-off. I figure that AWD solves almost all traction problems, and the FX45 is almost as fast as the G, and alot faster than my LS. The G35 is also 20 hp down from the G Coupe, and I feel that will be remedied soon (Nismo Exhaust).
    So the G may be in my future.
    I never wanted a heavy truck or SUV. To me, an H2 would be like trying to move a boat anchor around. Besides, the FX gets more looks. No one tries to outrace an H2, but it's almost too common to be at a stoplight next to some guy who thinks he can beat this odd looking SUV. Of course, few can beat 6.3 with AWD. And no worries about getting a ticket for having poor traction and burning rubber. You can settle things in the first 50 feet in the FX. It's that quick off the line. Some SUV!
    I've given up on SUV comparisons. Hey, if you want 20" wheels, you have to get a little altitude. And it doesn't seem to reduce cornering g's, since the polar moment of inertia is so centered and low compared with even the X5 and ML. Way lower than a Tahoe.
    The FX is tomorrow's sports car. If the WRX or EVO had 20" wheels and a V engine, it would have to be taller also.
    I've tried to find it's cornering limits and unlike the LS, I can't get it to slide out it's rear. Hey, the FX doesn't have to.
    The FX is a new paradigm. And very few people understand this. Anything new causes people to characterize and associate with the familiar. The FX looks as bold as it's unique performance. I call it an urban assault vehicle because that's the FX niche. It's hard to drive it like a granny car. It begs me to use the wow pedal.
    This car is the automotive equivalent of an E-ticket ride at Disneyland or being at Six Flags. Even at 55, I like to feel the dymamics of the drive. There is something honest about your car communicating with you. Most drivers want a car that is a mobile cocoon, isolating them from the physics of movement. I call this the "rolling coffin" syndrome. Some people die at a real early age. It shows in their choice of car.
    The FX is one vehicle you have to qualify for. It was not made for anybody and everybody, but those that know will find a match in this vehicle.
    It's like finding a long-lost lover. I've had this car since June 10th and I already have 5500 miles on it. I'm only allowed 15k a year on my lease, so my pennance will be to drive the wife-unit's Volvo station wagon until the 4th month is up. BORRRRINNNGGG.
    The FX is for drivers who know the difference between an appliance and a car.
    All others buy overweight, underpowered SUVs.
    Stanny I think you summed it up quite nicely. This is not a vehicle for the meek. Only real enthusiasts and drivers need apply. One drive and you are hooked. If you aren't it is NOT the vehicle for you.

By the way the ride loosens up nicely as the miles are put on I have 6000 miles on mine and speed bumps are handled smoothly and the ride has settled down nicely while not loosing any handling ability.
  • sprintrpssprintrps Member Posts: 62
    Local Dealer has great deal on FX's. I cannot decide whether it is better to buy an '03 at a great price (and eat the deprciation) or wait 8-10 weeks for an '04, which may cost more, but w/o the depreciation. Dealer claims he will nor be discounting the '04 when it arrives. Any assitance is greatly appreciated.
  • jbgrahamjbgraham Member Posts: 34
    I took a short test drive of an FX35 premium package today. Great drive - I don't know what the ride quibbling has been about, as I was perfectly happy with it, though it may be because I tested the 18" wheels with no handling package. I very much appreciate a tight/firm suspension as long as there are no associated rattles, squeaks, buzzes, etc. The FX felt really buttoned down. But I liked the brick/blk interior and it is not available except with the sport pkg. I'll have to go back and try that version.

To extend that thought, I did not have great appreciation for how Infiniti is packaging options and color combinations. I would liked the nav system, but have little/no interest in the other components of the tech package that drive the cost to a level that is ridiculous if all one wants is the nav. I realize this is not just an Infiniti trend, but they are refining the concept to some kind of black art. And the brochure (unless I was given the wrong one) provided almost no mention of the existence of the FX35, except on the spec pages. Admittedly, these are small irritations, since I really liked the "vehicle" (don't know what to call it) in every way. I wasn't sure about the quality of some of the pastic - particular in the area adjacent the window switchgear, but the more I drove, the less I cared.

I had a 1st generation Q and had great experiences with Infiniti customer support/service. I note that only because I also went to the VW dealer to take a look at the T-Reg. Nice Audi-like interior, but I was made to feel like I was sitting in a Fabrege egg. No test drive, no interest in scheduling one, and no real sales interest period. Did he think if I sat in the driver's seat long enough, I'd just buy it? I'm trying to imagine how that translates to the service experience. VW might want to remediate their sales staff - there's just too much competition in this segment now.

This got longer than its worth. Sorry. I'm going back to read the old posts before I ask questions that have been previously addressed, but if anyone - particularly in the Baltimore area - can provide purchase price/lease experience, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I was debating the same issues as you and decided that if I buy an FX it will be the '04. I have one of the first G35's and although it's great fun, going thru 7 recalls has not been. I think the '04 will improve upon an already nice vehicle and this late in the year will not penalize you with the immediate depreciation. I agree that at first at least there will not be stellar deals, but they will follow.
  • slummyjslummyj Member Posts: 57
    I got my FX35 2 weeks ago. I got B16 which only comes with the brick interior. I wanted that color inside, so the sport pkg was a given. I agree that the packages are not the most user friendly. Why you have to get the sport package because of the interior color makes no sense to me. I wanted the nav system (I like gadgets) and have found the rear view camera to be the best part of the system. Again, to get this you have to get the tech pkg. You can see it from Infiniti's point of view....it works, I bought it!
    Also, I have found no squeaks or rattles. After having a Passat, I am still prepared to hear some rattle or squeak going over bumps. I am always surprised how quiet the vehicle is. After having a VW and experiencing the dealer service, I would, at least based on my experience, not buy another product from VW.
    You are right about the brochure. It is almost like the FX35 is an afterthought.
  • jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    Have had my FX35 black/brick with tech for about 5 weeks. Just got back from a short 600 mile road trip to attend a seminar. Had about 1250 miles on the clock when I started out. The trip was a real joy. Drove at 80 plus, mostly highway through Mo. and Il.and averaged 20.5 mpg. I don't know how the lazer cruise affects mileage, but it takes a while to get used to or it will slow you down. Once mastered, it pretty much eliminated having to fiddle with resetting and juggling the controls. I really am glad I have it now and think it's a plus. There is plenty of power on the highway, but if I had it to do over I would have bought the V8. I'm used to driving a V8 and miss the extra oomph! I'm ruunning 33 psi in the tires and have absolutely no complaints about hard ride. I test drove a premium and it felt a little too soft for my tastes. When we arrived at the meeting site there where a number of people out front admiring the presenters rides. Dad had a 745iL and son had a new H2 Hummer. The Hummer was getting lots of attention. When we arrived, all the focus shifted to the FX. The owner of the Hummer had lots of questions and wanted to know all about the FX. Everyone started walking around it and admiring it.The H2 was only getting 10mpg. During the seminar they remarked how all family members were good at misplacing car keys and that they ought to own a "caropeners" franchise. Couldn't resist showing them them keyless feature of the tech package. Wasn't sure about spending the extra money for the tech package, but after 5 weeks there is no longer and doubt about my decision(except the V8)My wife and I both love the backup camera. OMO, the nav is easier to use and works beter than the nav in the BMW. Even though we will seldom use the DVD, we're both glad we bought the tech package. As we all know ,the handling is first class. I came from a BMW 540i sport and don't miss it one bit. There is a set of 45mph twisties near the house I can run at 85mph in the FX and it doesn't even break a sweat. The 540i started to get tense at 80. I enjoy the FX more after the first road trip and look forward to many more in the future. The 'Sport wagon' gives us everything we need in one package. There is truly nothing else like it on the road. Then again. most of you already know that. Critics like albdoc and kdshipiro just don't understand and never will. Stanny1-'The FX is an urban assualt machine'
  • sprintrpssprintrps Member Posts: 62
    To carnaught...thnks for the input. I am going back to the dealer tomorrow morning. My thinking is if the price is right (1 or 2% over) then it is worth getting an '03. If not..I'll wait for an '04. Any thoughts to this idea?
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    There's a good write-up on the FX35 RWD in this month's issue of Car and Driver.