Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• Saw the FX45 on a turntable at the DC auto show several days ago. No salespeople around, and no sticker or pricing info outside the turntable. Person handing out Infiniti brochures didn't want to meet my eyes, but when it was unavoidable, she said she thought the price would be in the mid-40's.

FX45 reminded me of the Murano I saw several minutes earlier at the show---large tires, hybrid SUV/station wagon/sporty, but the FX45 doesn't have the smiley face in front that the Murano has, and from the front, the FX45 reminds me somehow of 1930's cars. You know, the ones in gangster movies. But in a neat way. I was impressed, but of course didn't get to sit in it.

BTW, the Audi TT was also on a turntable. What's the deal there?? It's been out since '99. And now they have only 2 models instead of 4, and you can't get an automatic with a quattro. And the A4, although sleek, has a ragtop, not a hardtop. No way.
  • sysadbsysadb Posts: 83
    I was at the Auto Show in DC Friday. I saw the FX45 and asked the girl the same question. She said she thought it would start in the high 40's. It sounded pretty much like the option list would be short like the M45 - only a few expensive features like distance CC and voice recognition would be extra. I couldn't get a good look at the interior, but it's much more expensively finished than the Murano. Great wheels and tires - other than Porsche's Cayenne it'll probably be the fastest SUV around (if that's what one would call it). I asked about a FX35, and she said it was "months" away. I didn't have a lot of confidence in the girl's info, to tell the truth.

As for the TT on the turntable, Audi could have been "featuring" it in their display, or just decided not to screw up another car. Some dealers limit the cost of the show by locking the cars (or using a turntable) to keep the cars from being worn out. 5 days at the show can get a car enough abuse to change it's status from "new". That's especially true of sports and expensive luxury cars, which gather lots of attention. I remember when Ferrari *used* to be at the show they would place TWO velvet ropes 10 feet away from the car in an attempt to keep scratches off the car.

DB
  • pf01pf01 Posts: 35
    canadiandriver.com has posted some more information about FX45 and FX35 in their autonews section. FX45 is going to have 315 horsepower only. This is disappointing. I think Nissan missed a golden opportunity here. They should have made FX45 their flagship from now on. The Q45/M45 twin are hopeless against their German and Lexus rivalries. Nissan should have made the engine in FX45 more powerful than Q45. Another possibility is that Infiniti overstated the Q45 horsepower(340) in the first place.
  • I was at the LA auto show and i recieved some literature on teh FX45/35
    as for horse power the it is 280 w/ 270lb ft for the v6 and 315 w/ 329 lb ft for the v8 it has intelligent cruise control the smart key video entertainment system and everything u could imagine the pictures on fresh alloy are accurate and the car does look like that sorry it dosent have side mirror turn signals
    also the grubbs infiniti site has everything teh literature has the car has bi xenon lights standard
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    from Edmunds' Coverage of the 2003 LA Auto Show: 2003 Infiniti FX45/FX35.

Thanks for your comments!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• pbhattipbhatti Posts: 87
    Could someone tell me why the FX45/FX35 is considered a "wagon" when the Chrysler Pacifica, Subaru Legacy/Outback, Subaru Forester, BMW X5, Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, Audi Allroad, Nissan Murano, Acura MDX,... are all listed under the SUV section?
  • pbhattipbhatti Posts: 87
    It's built on the FM (G35, upcoming GT-R) platform and has wieght distribution of 54:46 on FX45.

Dimensions:

- wheelbase: 112.2-inch

- front track 62.7-inches; width between the two front tires

- rear track 64.6-inches; width between the two rear tires

- overall width: 75.8 inches

- height: 65.0 inches

- head room (front/rear) 40.8 / 39.5 (w/o sunroof) 39.6 / 39.3 (w/ sunroof)

- leg room (front/rear) 43.9 / 35.2

- hip room (front/rear) 54.3 / 55.0

- Shoulder room (front/rear) 56.9 / 57.4

- Cargo dimensions (L x W x H) seat up 28.5 / 42.0 - 55.7 / 29.2

- interior passenger volume: 105.1 cu.ft

- cargo volume: seats up 27.4 / seats down 64.5

Photos:

http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia/infiniti2003/fx45.shtml

Pricing:

FX45 Base MSRP $44,225

FX35 Base MSRP $35,700

FX45 Premium Package $2,100

FX45 Technology Package $7,600

FX35 Premium Package $2,600

FX35 Sport Package $3,900

FX35 Technology Package $9,400

FX45:

- 315 HP AWD (ATTESA ET-S all-wheel drive system; same one as the Skyline GT-R)

- 329 lb-ft of torque

- standard 20" wheels

- 15/19 (City/Highway)

- 0-60 6.3 secs. (from C&D)

- .87g (from C&D)

FX35:

- 280 HP RWD or AWD (ATTESA ET-S all-wheel drive system; same one as the Skyline GT-R)

- 270 lb-ft

- standard 18" wheels

- 16/22 (City/Highway) V6 AWD

- 17/23 (City/Highway) V6 RWD

more info: http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2003vehicles/fx45/specs.shtml

• cticctic Posts: 291
    They look pretty much the same to me and dimensions are within inches of each other. I read that the Murano was built on the Altima platform and the FX45 on the G35 platform, but are the Altima and G35 platform the same thing?
  • the Altima is a front wheel platform & the G35 is a higher performance rear wheel drive platform.
  • tostos Posts: 12
    Check out the height. The Murano is 9" taller than the FX. That's significant.
    Since the Murano and FX45 are both 4 wheel drive it obviously doesn't matter that the Altima is FWD or G35 is RWD. They still could have the same platform since it's apparent the platform is not restrictive to where the power goes.

According to my C&D, the Murano is 66.5 in height and FX45 is 65.0. Still height doesn't matter since you can build whatever height you want on any platform (within restrictions, e.g., Forester and Imprezza on the same platform and CRV, Element and Civic likewise.)

So, are the Altima and G35 built on the same platform?
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    FX45 Base Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $44,225
    *FX35 Base Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $35,700

FX45 Premium Package: $2,100
    · Power sliding tinted glass sunroof with one-touch open/close, tilt feature and sliding sunshade
    · Bose® premium 300-watt, eleven-speaker audio system. Three dash-mounted 3.15-inch TwiddlerTM mid- and high-frequency drivers; four 6.5-inch door speakers; two 3.15-inch Twiddler mid- and high-frequency drivers in D-pillars; dual 5.25-inch Nd® woofers in a dedicated, tuned enclosure under cargo floor are included with Bose system; complements standard AM/FM with Radio Data System (RDS), cassette player and in-dash, single-slot 6-disc CD autochanger
    · HomeLink® Universal Transceiver
    · Auto on/off headlights
    · Steering-wheel-mounted audio controls
    · Cargo Net

FX35 Premium Package: $2,600
    · Includes all FX45 Premium Package equipment plus:
    · Leather-appointed interior
    · Power-adjustable lumbar support for driver's seat
    · Power tilt and telescopic steering wheel
    · Memory system for driver's seat, steering wheel and outside mirrors
    · Heated front seats
    · Heated outside mirrors

FX35 Sport Package: $3,900
    · Includes all FX35 Premium Package equipment plus:
    · 8-spoke, 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 265/50R20 V-rated all-season tires
    · Sport-tuned suspension
    · Drilled aluminum pedals with rubber grips

FX45 Technology Package: $7,600
    FX35 Technology Package: $9,400
    · Includes all Premium Package equipment on FX45; all Premium Package and Sport Package equipment on FX35, plus:
    · Enhanced Vehicle Information System with 7-inch color LCD screen; adds fuel-economy calculator
    · Infiniti Navigation System1 with DVD database and BirdviewTM
    · Intelligent Key keyless entry, security and starting system. Keyfob transponder allows door unlocking and engine starting without using a keyfob or key; keyfob must simply be in proximity of vehicle (pocket, purse, etc.) for unlocking, or inside vehicle for engine starting
    · Intelligent Cruise Control2 uses computerized laser sensors to detect vehicles ahead while automatically maintaining the preset following distance
    · Brake Assist with Preview3
    · Infiniti DVD Mobile Entertainment System with ceiling-mounted, flip-down 7.0-inch color screen, console-mounted DVD player with wireless remote and two pairs of wireless headphones
    · RearView Monitor4 displays area behind vehicle, in real time, when vehicle is reversing via the dash-mounted color Vehicle Information System's screen
    · Onboard Tire Pressure Monitor

Individual Options (FX35 and FX45):
    · Roof rails
    · Roof-rail crossbars
    · Cargo-area protector
    · Satellite radio capability, with choice of Sirius or XM® service providers5
    · Sunroof wind deflector
    · Splash guards, set of four (black)
    · Tow hitch6
  • You missed the point...not that the 2 platforms are different in height or that the 2 platforms are all-wheel drive... they are 2 different platforms in many ways & the RWD & FWD are just characteristic of these 2 DIFFERENT platforms.
    It is so firm, the FX45 is not good for daily commute on rough roads, if you believe Road and Track(Feb. 03). This is exactly the same problem with X5 equipped with the sport package option. The trouble is, unlike X5, you have no choice with FX45. The firm suspension is not an option.

The major difference between Altima and G35, according to my understanding, is the position of the engine relative to the front axle. The mid line of the engine in G35 is slightly behind the front axle, while the Altima engine's midline, like most other sedans, is slightly in front of the axle. The difference can be easily seen if you compare the front over-hang of G35 with that of Altima. The G35/FX45 platform is supposed to have a better weight distribution with the placement of the engine. But the weight distribution of FX45 is 54/46, which is still a little head heavy. But does that surprise anyone, with FX45's long hood?
    I was just responding to your misconceptions.

You seem to think that RWD or FWD is a characteristic of a platform. It is not. The G35 is RWD, the FX45 is AWD, they share the same platform.

The Altima is FWD and the Murano is AWD, they too share the same platform. So you see, FWD or AWD is not the characteristic of a platform. It is the characteristic of a model. The Murano can both be 2 wheel drive and AWD, they definitely share the same platform.

The other person seemed to think that because there is a 9 inch difference in height (which there is not), the platforms are different. That is also incorrect, as I pointed out the CRV (a SUV) and the Civic (a compact) both share the same platforms. You could build a double decker on the Altima platform if you wanted to, if you did, they would share the same platforms.

As I pointed out in my first post, the G35 and FX45 share the same platform, the Altima and Murano share the same platform. Because the dimensions were so similar, I was wondering if in fact the Altima and G35 the share same platform. And it doesn't matter if one is FWD and the other RWD, because it has already been proven that you could make it AWD if you wanted to - Nissan just did that, by putting the Murano on the Altima and the FX45 on the G35.
    What about the positions of the engine of the FX45 vs the G35? Are they the same?

After reading the 2 articles in C&D what I really wanted to know is if the Murano and the FX45 are the same cars underneath, as were the Pathfinder and QX4. Because the Murano is a much better deal, if you don't care about the name. And the FX45 offers a V8 which the Murano doesn't. The con side is that it has a much harsher ride.
  • edhrybedhryb Posts: 7
    I got to test drive the fx35 as part of a focus group against SUVs from Acura, BMW, Merceded and Lexus. Great pick up, even in the 35. Got plenty of stares on the road. I had a few complaints. 1) visibility out of side windows is poor. 2) competing against those suvs, back seat was fairly cramped. 3) i'm not sure what the market is. Many alternatives at that price. Not very practical for families. Muscle car ride appeals more to younger drivers, but how many yong drivers can afford a $45k car? More of a 2nd, fun to drive car for well-off familites.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    How did the noise level compare to the other cars?
  • kwyoonkwyoon Posts: 25
    edhryb how did you get to be a part of the focus group?
  • lsclsc Posts: 210
    ctic is right. They are two completely different platforms. The much stiffer and better balanced FM platform allows the FX35 to have a 54/46 weight bias while the Murano's weight bias is much more toward the front.

FX can send 100% of the torque to the rear wheels and but can have up to a 50/50 split. The Murano I believe is the opposite in this regard.

So you see, the FX35/45 is the more sporty of the two w/ a more expensive platform, along w/ the addtional luxury touches that the Infiniti label requires.
  • There are other differences between the 2 platforms. The FX45/35 engine sits longitudinal and the Murano’s East-west. The Murano base is FWD, the FX35 base is RWD.
    I know exactly the market Infiniti is aiming at.

I have a SUV and it's great for hauling stuff, but it's not the greatest ride on the freeway. Many times I've wished for a sports car/SUV hybrid, and it looks like this is it.

But if the cargo area is too small, then it's no more than a tall sporty wagon with a small cargo hold.
  • edhrybedhryb Posts: 7
    I received a questionnaire referencing my Saab registration so I guess they picked my name from that. This was back in July. The noise level was fine. Nice rumble from the engine, but bumps were fairly quiet. It was the most fun to drive out of the group. Tires were huge but it handled fairly well. I haven't seen the specs on the cargo area, but the angle of the rear window limits anything too high, and makes it appear small. The car is almost all nose. I don't mean to be sexist, but it's a guy's car. Can't steer it with one finger like the Lexus. It's a handful.
    I think G35/FX35/45 have the same platform, which is different from the platform that Altima and Murano share. The weight distribution of FX45 is 54/46 and it is 52/48 for the FX35. I suspect the 2 percent difference is due to the weight difference of the V6 and V8 engines(approximately 80-90 lbs). You can go to nissannews.com for detailed information. If you are interested, you can also find out if the engines of G35 and Altima are mounted longitudinally or transversely, as txdriver pointed out.

Personally, if I would buy an SUV with V6 and can also wait for a while, I would choose Murano over FX35. I think the price of Murano will be very competitive after a while and make FX35 less valuable. You can go to autosite.com, check out the sales numbers of different SUVs each month, and that will give you a ball-park estimate of the competitiveness of the SUVs and potential for negotiation.
    Thanks for the info.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    Called a salesman at SW infiniti here in Houston. He will have 6 FX's by the end of this month both v6 and v8. To me this is the perfect car I would spend the 2k premium over a comparable g35 for the added ground clearnce, height and cargo ability. A nicely appointed fx35 should be a hair over 37k almost dollar to dollar the current cost of an rx300. I just wish they put the CVT in the FX for the better gas mileage. This thing should really haul butt and the only SUV's even close to this thing right now are the BMW X5 and Cayene.
  • that just came back from a demo drive of the FX45 & FX35. He indicated the performance was so close he would save the money & opt for the FX35. He was very impressed but then again... he is a salesman. ;-)
  • I went to my local dealer to purchase a FX35 with black exterior, tech package, and I cant believe that the Willow/Black interior is not available with Black exterior. Infiniti really drop in ball on this one.
  • stanny1stanny1 Posts: 962
    I'm sure it will as affordable as the Cayenne TT, so I won't worry about seeing one next to me at a stoplight.
    Here in San Diego, I've seen only two TT's, and both were driven by guys who would have to worry about coronaries from the G-forces, and their dealership mechanics have to add fuel treatments to clean out the carbon build-up.
    At Qualcomm Stadium here, they run Solo 2 on the East parking lot. PCA runs their slolom on the West lot, and it's open only to Porsches. Hmmm.
  • I had a chance to sit inside the FX35 and view a FX45. The vehicle has very little rear leg room. the space is cramped for a crossover/suv. I was very surprised. The rear cargo area looked very very small to say the least. I couldn't find a rear seat split fold down release switch to save my life!! I thought I was crazy!! I realized that I wasn't when a bunch of other on lookers had the same trouble. Oh yeah there wasn't any help to be found to save my life. Where did the Infiniti salesreps run off to? Walk into a dealer nowadays and next thing ya know the salesforce is in your face. Go Figure. Cars are sold at dealers not usually car shows. Anyway, the FX35 I sat in was comfortable but cramped. For 44K(loaded FX35) it didn't have a lot of space to boot. Looking at a car at a car show means zip. Its the on road test drive that makes all the difference in the world.

I'm currently deciding between a 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0 6-speed, FX35, Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 5-speed and the Honda Element.

I snowboard and mountain bike so I need something that can handle bikes and boards, yet is comfortable at high cruising speeds for long hours.