Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• lmp180psulmp180psu Posts: 393
    Go over to the "Lease Questions: Ask Here" thread, and ask CarMan about your deal. He can work out payments if you give him the MSRP, negotiated price, lease term (months), and yearly mileage.
  • ichiban470ichiban470 Posts: 45
    Read your post on the LX470. I own both a LX470 and the FX45 . Agree with you about how SLOW the LX is and have posted on the Lexus site about this (MORE horses in both SUV's would be a major PLUS). But you have to admit these SUV's are on both ends of the spectrum. Though , I love my FX with it's Tech, Bose, 20" rims, etc., it is not what I would drive up to the snowy mountains for a family ski trip.
    My LX on the other hand has the third row seats ( if needed in a bind for extra kids ) or I can fold them up and have a good amount of cargo room . It is smoother on the freeway ( switch for suspension setting) and it can raise and lower ( switch for height adjustment ). None of these are available on my FX. The FX on the other hand appeals to my sporty nature. It is faster, handles way better, and more of a guy's car . My wife drives the LX and loves the quality and solidness . Both SUV's are great and I feel they are best in their perspective classes but they are also worlds apart and have different appeals to prospective SUV buyers.

P.S.: Has anyone found a company yet , that makes a Front End Mask ( Bra ) for the FX45?
  • psb1013psb1013 Posts: 92
    .....an "all-pupose" SUV. Heck, it's really not even a SUV. It's just a tall sports-wagon competing really with vehicles like the Audi All-Road, Audi S4/S6 Avant, BMW 540i wagon, and the Volvo Cross-country. People buying into the FX thinking that it'll replace their old Lexus or Land Rover or Explorer are in for the biggest shock. And it's not for the introverted either.
    Being that this is the first model year for the FX, I'm sure that Infiniti will get all the bugs and kinks out by the 2nd and 3rd model years. (Won't do any good for us early adopters, though). Anyways, I'm sure it can't possibly be worse than my last BMW X5 which had 3 recalls, bad rotors/brakes, blown bulbs, bad transmission, 2 blown tires, vibrating steering column, failing power windows and other electrical problems at 20K miles.
  • psu1983psu1983 Posts: 24
    Agree with you on all points...the LX470 and FX are clearly on different sides of the spectrum. I was looking for something on the sportier side of spectrum, with high performance, recognizing I was sacrificing space and a smoother ride. In their respective classes, they're each at the head of the class IMHO. My other vehicle is a 2002 Suburban Z71, so we really don't need 2 full-size SUV's (and I had no luck convincing my wife to keep the Lexus instead due to the extra space and room w/ the Suburban).
    Just my opinion, but I don't consider the cars you listed as the direct competitors to the FX, essentially because I don't look @ the FX as a wagon. To me, it's a true crossover with heavy lean towards the sport side of spectrum, with primary competition the X5, Volvo XC90, Acura MDX and the Cayenne.
  • stanny1stanny1 Posts: 962
    It's almost all Sports and very little utility.
    At least with the FX 45, with all-wheel drive to 13 mph, the purpose is to put all the power down to all four wheels for maximum acceleration.
    Anything else you can do with it is strictly a bonus.
    Bionic Cheetah maybe, X5 Eater for sure.
    I'm buying one because it handles and goes like a G35 but it doesn't look like everyboy's car OR SUV. The only people that I want to think it's an SUV are the Highway Patrol.
    It's really the wolf in sheep's clothing.
    SUV Buyers need not apply.
    They belong in the right lane.
    Hey, no pimpmobile chrome wheels!
    This is not mobile jewelry!
    The FX has function. It's not a chromed appliance, or a rolling coffin for the elderly.
    Stick with a Buick Rondevous, and stay in the right lane please!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,599
    You're getting a G35 with all-season capability, more utility and a nicer interior. And compared to the sedan, much more aggressive styling!
    This is the first "SUV" that has caught my eye and is on my list to (eventually) replace my current ride (wonderful Chrysler 300M. No, really. It's a great ride!)

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• jmessjmess Posts: 677
    I am sure a G35 in capable hands will have no problem showing tail lights to an FX in the twisty bits. The FX may have more sport than a Ford Explorer but it ain't no sports sedan.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    I see you are coming over to the darkside huh
    :-) You will not be disappointed by the fx. After driving the FX for a while you will completely forget about the 300. I do think the 300 is a better highway cruiser to the tech package FX just because it soaks up bumps so well while still being able to handle competently but the fx is a definately a "step up". after driving used jags, new bmw 5 series, lexus es300/rx330 the fx was the first car I felt justified the price difference over the 300. The jag was nice but too low to the ground. The bmw 525 and 530 were rather pokey and offered way less room. The lexi were just spiritually dead (probably the only car I would fall asleep driving). The FX however was just right and I have just completed the best 2000 mi in any car I have owned. I am thinking about keeping my 300 and modding it out but I think the wifey wants an armada this fall and she usually gets her way :)
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    "I am sure a G35 in capable hands will have no problem showing tail lights to an FX in the twisty bits. The FX may have more sport than a Ford Explorer but it ain't no sports sedan."

Maybe, but according to Car & Driver tests, the FX45 actually pulled a higher skidpad number than even the G35 Coupe (.87 to .86). I didn't see the number for the G35 Sedan, which would be a fairer comparison, but from what I've read the Sedan's balance is not a good as the Coupe.
    I think the V-8 makes up for the 600lb weight difference between the G and the FX45. The FX35 probably handles better than the 45.
    The G35 Sedan pulls about .86. But it is "undertired". I'd like to see the G35 Sedan's #s with 18 x 8 forged wheels (not chromed) and 245/40/18 S0-3 Pole Positions. Bet an .88.
    Right now, the FX has the tires, and they compensate for losing the unequal length A-arms from the G for the current struts, which were changed to accomodate the V-8. Same rear as the G though.
    Hey, I bet some enterprising dude could take a G35 Sedan or Coupe, install the FX front suspension, and install the Q V-8!
  • adb3adb3 Posts: 112
    a quite distinctive looking vehicle. Interestingly, I haven't seen much of a marketing blitz, at least not in the Mid-Atlantic, for this vehicle. My advice to Nissan/Infinity, not that they would care, would be to emphasize the "sport" vice the utility and tout the FX as more of an alternative to a "sport sedan" vice a SUV.
  • c3po33c3po33 Posts: 60
    On Sunday I received my wife's 2003 FX35 Brilliant Silver Graphite/Brick with Technology package from Grubbs Infiniti here in South Florida. It was a great buying experience from Danny all around. The truck driver was very nice and dropped off my car a mile from my house at the local Wal*Mart.
    Congrats on the FX. You should love it. I know you will since you already have a G sedan. Have fun!!!!
    Hehe you could put an end to this debate of FX vs G. take em to a trak and tell us who wins! Once the FX is broken in of course :)
    Comparing the FX to the G35 is really a moot point--like apples and oranges...two entirely different vehicles in two entirely different markets. It just so happens that the FX has enough performance hardware to go head-to-head with the G35 (or any performance sedan for that matter): handling and acceleration (which is amazing for a so called "SUV").
    A true testament to the FX performance: a few weeks ago, I raced my friend's 2002 BMW 540i Sport with my FX45 on a deserted stretch of road at 1:00AM near my house and was easily able to go toe-to-toe with him right up to 100MPH. He was amazed that a "SUV" could do that and now is just "itchin" to get into a FX himself!
    I have to admit you have a pretty savvy SUV wife. Would have done the same thing . More room then the Lexus and good job on getting the Z71 package.
  • jpiatchekjpiatchek Posts: 177
    I currently own a 540i and an e36 M3. My Fx35 will not do straight line acceleration with the 540, but it will take the turns quicker and easier than the 540i and when the going gets tough in the twisties, the 540i will suck exhaust fumes of the Fx. Neither are a match for the M3. The Fx will run with the best sport sedans around!
    Impressive ! Have a FX45 with 1000 mile now. I knew the S2UV was fast but this is impressive. I am wondering if your friend's 540i was Auto. Trans. or 6 spd. ? This would make a difference ( if memory serves me correct) of 1 to 1.5 clicks .
    So far no problems and people stop and look at my 45 all the time . Common comment is " this looks like a CONCEPT Vehicle" and " I've never seen one before! ". Love the fact that my FX doesn't fit in any category except it's own ! Let the debates continue !
  • albdocalbdoc Posts: 23
    I am happy I did not go for it . I am not a speed freak and the looks are for sure just so different that it seems like an anomaly .I test drove one and the ride was much sporty (harsh ) adn is definitely much more quicker .
    I enjoy long drives and love my Lexus RX 330 which has it all . A comfortable and cushy ride, excellent interior, the best Music system in auto industry and Navigation system. That s all I need . The 0-60 is not that of a big deal for me .
    The infinity dealer in my area has a lot of them in the parking lot for last 3 months, whereas you have to wait for 1-2 months to get an RX 330 and they are not even available at times for display.
  • mudman2mudman2 Posts: 152
    My wife loves hers, her only complaint is that its "the taurus of SUV's". Lexus derive 60% of their profit from the RX series.
  • gazelle2gazelle2 Posts: 38
    Memories of the A6 continue to fade, and the wheels remain free of brake dust! I've read about some owners who have lowered the tire pressure to 32 psi on their 45s. Can that work on the 35 18 inch tires? One more cosmic thought. When they tell us to "Pay attention to a cup", do they mean any particular cup, or to the plight of cups in general. Or might they have meant, "Pay attention to THE cup you stupidly left in your rear cupholder as you now prepare to drop your seats to make room for four pots of ornamental grasses which will dirty up my pristine interior".
    The FX kills the RX in every performance department: acceleration, passing, handling, braking. The bottom line is: like they say in VW commercials, the FX is for drivers....if you want fun and do not want another me-too vehicle, then the FX is the perfect vehicle. Lexus are for people who want to be mute from the road....except for the GS and IS sedans, they are about as fun to drive as your 'ol daddy's Caddy. And as far as luxury is concerned, the FX has just about everything the RX has: super-comfortable and supportive seats, laser cruise-control, rear camera, nice NAV, and a killer sound system. So the RX has a little more cargo and passenger room and a cushier ride.....who wants to be bored to death while driving? And if you are a guy like me, I would be embarrassed to drive the female-dominated RX.
    My suspicion is that the fact you're even on this board is an indication that you're not quite sure you may the right choice with the RX330, and that's certainly understandable. I've recently converted to the FX after 3 Lexus'(an LX470, a GS430 and another LX470). I'm not dissing the Lexus, because obviousy I'm a fan, but to each his own re: personal preference. If you prefer bold, aggressive styling with outstanding performance and great value, the FX can't be beat. If you're simply after the most comfortable ride you can find, with conservative styling and average performance, the RX fits the bill nicely. Regarding quality and all the electronic fun stuff, it's pretty darn close to a draw (I'll concede that the Levinson system is just a notch better, but's it's closer than you think and I've had both).
    Let's not get into this argument of who is better then whom! It is like compairing a Merc. SL with a Porsche 996. Both have their good and bad parts . I own both makes , FX45 and a LX470, both are the best in their own class .
    Just like the FX35 and the RX330 are . ALBDOC good for you if you like the RX330 but don't disrespect the FX for what ever reason you may have .
  • albdocalbdoc Posts: 23
    Here is some info posted on RX 330 discussion boards about sales .

RX 330 8525---23% increase over last May

Competitors:

MDX 5089
    XC90 3792
    X5 2845
    Aviator 2793
    M-Class 2591
    FX 2339
    Cayenne 1388
     I do not mean to disrespect any vehicle . Discussion boards are meant to express your opinions . I just gave my perspective which may not apply to others and some negative opinions will definitely keep the discussion boards honest and less biased, which inturn is very helpful to the novice buyers .
  • jpiatchekjpiatchek Posts: 177
    "And if you are a guy like me, I would be embarrassed to drive the female dominated RX" Amen brother! My sentiments,exactly!