Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• carprepcarprep Posts: 8
    I don't see any contradiction in Skip's recent posts "RX330 handles like a forklift" vs. "The coolest things about my RX 330 are the air suspension and the power liftgate. Actually I probably like the way it drives at freeway speeds the best."

I drive cars for a living. Personally, I'd take the forklift over the RX330 any day! There's a BIG difference between "handling" and "driving at freeway speeds." But if you understood that Jeff, you would not be caught dead in the "rolling coffin" RX330, unless you're a soccer mom or over 65. I'm sure you fit into at least one of those categories.

By the way, why are you still posting on this board Jeff? Did you pick up a copy of the latest Motor Trend FX35/ RX330/ MLB350 comparison? Guess which one was declared the winner? Goshes! Experiencing buyer's remorse now Jeff? Why don't you go back and join Willard and the soccer moms on the RX330 board.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    FX may win on performance, but that's where it ends. No manufacturer beats the RX330 in sophistication and class. If you want a fast car, with soso looks and a bunch of useless toys, get an FX. If you want a slower car with lots of class, and the Lexus touch get an RX330. The saying, "The one who dies with the most toys", isn't true with automobiles.
  • skip30skip30 Posts: 33
    The RX handles great on the frwy. The air suspension does help with general feel. The cornering limits are very low. The car just does not like to turn. The front tires feel like they are doing all of the work. This is when being pushed fairly hard thru the twisties. I drove a non air car and I still think the air suspension is way better. It is a very nice car but it is more of a cruiser. Nothing wrong with that. since most of the time in Los Angeles you are going nowhere, stuck in traffic. Skip
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    Motor Trend is and has been the worst rag in the auto mag business for decades.

As the poster mentioned above, the FX series has good handling properties, whether or not the suspension is too hard for some. But that's where its claim to fame ends for many that test drive it.

People vote with their dollars - and everyday I see the FXs piling up at a large Infiniti dealership in the area and yet directly across the street the Lexus dealer struggles to keep one RX330 on the lot as a demo unit.

Speaking of cross-posts, your post #382 months ago in the RX330 board (referring to me):

"...guess you're just a little sensitive having to drive around in your wife's ubiquitous car. And talk about depreciation, I hope your're in a short term lease, because you're not going to be able to give that thing away otherwise."

Sold the "wife's ubiquitous car", a 2001 RX300 FWD, just this week for 73% of it's new price 3 years ago. Our new RX330 has exceeded our expectations in every way. As always, YMMV.

Since you were so wrong about the RX's resale value, I trust your current opinions are just as worthy.

Ya pays ya money and makes your choice. Beyond that, your hostility is a sure sign of pure locker room bravado but at least its humorous - keep up the good work.
  • psb1013psb1013 Posts: 92
    The FX not only crushes the RX in terms of performance but is a much more stylish car and the build quality is right up there with the Lexus. I had a 2000 RX300 which had a myriad of problems like failing tansmission, bad alternator, electrical problems, blown tires...all within the first year! Infiniti's quality has improved immensely and I would say it rates right up there now w/Lexus, BMW, Mercedes. (Is it any wonder Infiniti is now ranked No. 1 in customer satisfaction!) Those who dismiss the FX like kdshapiro really has no idea of what he's talking about since he has never really owned a FX ("useless toys?"---last I checked, the RX also has same "useless toys" as the FX like rear-view camera, laser cruise control, DVD player, etc.) If you want to be pampered like a 50-year old soccer mom, fine, get a RX. Just leave the FX for us real drivers.
    "kdshapiro really has no idea of what he's talking about since he has never really owned a FX ("useless toys?"

Laser guided cruise control. Nope! Roads here are way too crowded to even put on cruise control, much less laser guided. Remote starting. Never used it wouldn't need it. I know exactly what I am talking about. More electronics to break as time goes on. You may be one of the few RX owners that had problems with their vehicles. Generally they are absolutely bullet-proof I have first hand experience multiple times with them. You need the FXs rear view camera, cause you can't see out of the back. You "real" drivers can have your FX and I hope you're getting great mileage with these sky-rocketing gas prices. I'm sure the RX330 doesn't get the great mileage the FX does. :) Now back to our topic.
  • RX330 fans : please read previous post and you will understand why I own a FX45 over a RX330 . It is the same reasons why maybe one my own a Porsche Carrera over a Lexus SC430. And as to "jeffmust2" statement about the # of FX's are on the lot over the RX330 . I own a Lexus LX470 and when I took my SUV in for service the dealer gave me a LOANER CAR . The loaner car was a RX330 ( no lic. plates, brand spanking NEW ). I also saw about 5 to 6 other RX330's in the loaner car lot ! Kinda says something , huh ? When I took my FX45 in for service , I also got a loaner car .
    It was a G35 sedan with dealer plates on it .
    I did not see any FX35,FX45, Q45, M45, or G35 coupes for loaner cars .

I drove the RX330 for a day. I did like the auto. rear hatch opening and wood trim steering wheel but I did not like the lack of power and poor handling . In closing , these are two different SUV's and both cater to a different crowd . I would never own a RX330 but if you do , I'm glad for you . You wanted something else in your vehicle then I did but please stop comparing "apples and oranges" and who's better the whom !
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    "The loaner car was a RX330 ( no lic. plates, brand spanking NEW ). I also saw about 5 to 6 other RX330's in the loaner car lot ! Kinda says something, huh?"

Actually, it says nothing. Having RX 330s in a loaner fleet says nothing about how well the car is selling. Lexus corporate works with dealers to place RXs in loaner fleets. The cars are delivered from Lexus for use as loaners only. The Lexus loaners are NOT cars that go unsold, which is what you are implying.

Jeffmust2 was saying that most Lexus dealers have few, if any, RX 330s on their lots. Infiniti dealers have tons of FXs sitting there. I'm not saying this is good or bad for either Lexus or Infiniti, but at least where I live that is a fact.
  • I agree it seems most of the posts here see more FX's on the dealers lots then RX330's. But I can only go on my experience when buying my LX470 . When I went to my local dealerships in the SF Bay Area, all told me that they couldn't keep this SUV in stock and I would have to wait 6 to 7 weeks after ordering it from them . I did a little research of my own and come to find out some of these dealers had another lot located in a different location and would only keep one or two of these SUV's on the main lot making it seem they were in high demand with few in stock . I am not implying this is done everywhere but it is another sales technique to inflate the price and possibly make you want the vehicle more .
    There are other factors also , as you well know, from advertising to what does the consumer want from the vehicle will contribute to sales differences . Some are valet and some are mute . As to some pointing to the fact that the RX330 is out selling the FX35/45 must make it a better vehicle is a misstatement of the facts . If this were the case then the Ford Taurus would be considered better then the RX330 , and you know that is completely wrong !

I do question the fact that Lexus uses there RX330 ( which as posted is a very popular SUV and are having a hard time keeping them in stock ) and not the IS300 or LS300 as loaner cars since the demand is far less right now for those vehicles . You may feel that it says nothing but I respectfully disagree for all things mentioned above .....
    Why are you Lexus/RX fans here on the FX boards? Are you that bored with your vehicles to come over here and start criticizing our cars (or you just plain jeolous)? I could care less about how many RX's have been sold....blah,blah,blah. The fact is, there's nothing like the FX on the road today. There's no vehicle that come combine the power, handling, styling, and utility for its price like the FX. If you want just another vanilla SUV and want to be pampered like an 'ol lady, please buy a Lexus.
    BTW, contrary to what kdshapiro says, there's no "bullet-proof" brand anymore. Besides my previous RX300, I also had a BMW X5 4.4i which also had numerous problems such as electrical malfunction, transmission problems, and was recalled 3 different times! I also have many friends and relatives with vehicles from Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, Honda, and Acura with various problems at one time or another. (My dad's 2002 ML 500 died 1 week after taking delivery!). Cars today are built with parts from all over the world--there's much more parity regarding build quality now among brands than 10 or 20 years ago. And BTW, if any of you didn't know, Infiniti recently was ranked No. 1 in customer satisfaction by J.D. Powers.
    Customer satisfaction has little to do with Initial Quality. Infiniti is nowhere near the top in the Initial Quality Survey. BTW according to CR the Lexus RX330 stops in a shorter time than the FX and has the same emergency handling characteristics, which they rated as good. They have the FX higher marks for routine handling. In this era of $2.50/gal gas prices the RX must feel better on the wallet.
  • A man of your status whom I presume drives an RX330 is worried about (this era of $2.50/gal gas prices)Come on buddy you must be just bored.I think you should visit the local VW dealership and pickup a Golf TDI with no useless toys in it of course....Hummmm , is there a board for VW Golf's??
    kdshapiro...obviously, this guy loves the RX so much, he's just blurting out "facts." Car and Driver tested the FX45 at 0-60 mph at 6.3 sec, braking from 70-0 mph at 160ft (best ever for a SUV) and lateral accel. at .87g (better than most sports cars). Tell me, where the RX can even come close to these numbers. So, you say customer satisfaction is not relevant? So you must drive a Yugo, eh?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Hummmm , is there a board for VW Golf's??

Several, as a matter of fact! Here's one (of many): VW Golf

tidester, host
  • ivyfchuivyfchu Posts: 21
    I have my FX35 since April. Not crazy about the fuel economy but am thrilled with the ride. The only problem I have is that the support arms of the trunk make a squeaky noise when I open/close the trunk. I have never driven a RX330 before but I tested a RX 300 and a X5 3.0 before buying the FX35. My personal opinion is that I don't like how the RX300 drives and I will pick the X5 3.0 over the RX300 despite that the X5 is almost $10k more expensive. On the other hand, I would pick the FX35 over the X5 given a number of different factors (value, power, handling, and look). I personally prefer to have a car that is less popular so that I don't see on the street every intersection. (RX and X5 will fit that bill) I am not saying that FX is necessarily better but that is just my opinion.
  • arhfx45arhfx45 Posts: 27
    You gotta love that circa 1998 tailight treatment on the '03 RX330. They either are really, really late getting with the 90's fashions, or really, really early with a "Retro 1998" statement. The RX is too conservatively styled to pull off anything radical without just looking goofy IMO. Other than the styling snafu the RX330 looks destined for sales success.
  • skip30skip30 Posts: 33
    There is no such thing as a 03 RX 330. They are all 04s. Skip
  • arhfx45arhfx45 Posts: 27
    Got carried away with the 3's, sorry, yes I was speaking of the '04 RX 330.
  • shenkarshenkar Posts: 159
    Who is this kdshapiro...and why is he lurking here on the fx boards, tooting his rx330 horn?? Is this the "rx vs fx" board? Nah...no such thing. Does he really think he's going to convert any fx owners to the rx???

This guy is the poster-child for the Lack of Propriety Society!!
    "Who is this kdshapiro...and why is he lurking here on the fx boards, tooting his rx330 horn??"

LOL!!! Did you even read my profile? I was pointing out interesting reading in Consumers Reports luxury crossover comparison. You can read the results online if you have a subscription.

In addition, I'm not sure why anybody shouldn't be concerned about rising gas prices. The news is reporting that SxV sales are way down. May have something to do with skyrocketing gas prices. Even people with big $$$ are concerned with gas prices. Why shouldn't we be?
  • I have an idea....why don't we ignore him....he obviously doesn't know what he is talking about since he doesn't own an FX35 or 45.....maybe he will go away!! You are giving him exactly what he wants you know....attention (must be insecure)!
    "...attention (must be insecure)"

Interesting the responses one gets when an opinion is voiced. You are more than welcome to come into the BMW forum, voice an opinion without somebody claiming you have buyers remorse or are insecure. Anyway I don't need to troll as I've been active in Edmunds boards for about 4 years. But as you suggest you are free to ignore my posts, I won't take any offense at it.

BTW I'm sure calling one insecure is against Town Hall rules of conduct.
  • Thank goodness you aren't going to take offense....I was VERY worried you would feel hurt if we ignored you....yeah right! We won't feel a bit neglected if you stay on the BMW board!

I'm going to go enjoy a ride in my "gas guzzling" beautiful, Liquid Copper FX now.....
    juice991 - what does it cost to fill up at $2.00/gallon? At those rates at 15,000 miles a year at 15mpg gas could easily cost $250-$300 mo. Seems like $4,000 year in gas to get someplace 1 sec faster to 60 is not an insignificant amount.
    If you notice there are other posters on this board who have the FX35 that have made comments regarding gas mileage. I'm glad to hear your wallet is so insulated from any fluctations in the economy. I got worried you might have to sell your house to pay for your gas.

High gas prices has a detrimental effect on us all. Pity the poor person who can only afford a clunker that gets the same mileage as the FX with none of the thrill.
  • corkfishcorkfish Posts: 537
    Also, I see lots of people driving around in cars that they really can't afford. I have to laugh when I'm in my 1993 Sentra and I know someone who doesn't have any where near the net worth I do driving around in a $40,000 or $50,000 car. It's true what they say, you can't judge a book by it's cover and there loads of people out there trying to keep up with Joneses even though it's busting them LOL.
  • Maybe Corkfish and Kdshapiro should take their opinions and meet in the BMW board! Agreed?
  • Is this a FX35/FX45 Board ??? This is supposed to be a board where FX OWNERS post positive and negative comments about their vehicle to help those who might want to buy one , right ??? Is there anyway to keep certain people off this board or drop them completely from Edmunds ???

Life is to short to make comments that don't do anybody any good !
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Let's stick to the topic!

tidester, host