Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• jgoldsteinjgoldstein Member Posts: 2
    I have owned my new FX35 for one week before the blizzard came to NJ. I have the sports suspension and the tech option. Putting it into snow mode seem to have some affect, but I fear snow tires are going to be a must. I am coming out of a Range Rover which held the road during snow with amazing grace. In the FX I had serious issues with the 20" tires. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to discuss snow tires. Anyone else have this problem?
  • dantedante Member Posts: 92
    See my prior post. Snow mode helped quite a bit and I strongly recommend you use it when are driving thru unplowed snow. If you find out from the dealer that he can get 20 inch snow tires from someone, can you let us know where? Really don't feel like buying new rims, etc... also because I love the look of the 20 inch wheels...

Thanks, Jon B.
  • cyruscyrus Member Posts: 25
    I have an AWD FX/35, 2004 with only 6700 miles on the odometer. I Love the car, but over the last month or so I have been hearing an intermitent "rattle" from the center of the Dashboard. It has been annyoing to say the least. Has anyone else noticed any unusual rattles in their FXs, especially with the 18 inch wheels. Any practical advice will be greatly appreciated, especially from those of you who might have had a similar problem. I did take the car to the dealer, twice in the last week. They were very courteous and accomodating, but it did not help. I live in Chicago-Land area and drive almost everyday on the interstate 94, originating from the north-suburbs. I did notice it is especially loud when I hit large or even small irregularities on the road surface - i.e., undulations/bumps/pot holes. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
  • sptrr2sptrr2 Member Posts: 12
    2003-FX35, AWD, sport package

Had a very unpleasant experience today with the car filling up with blue smoke that smelled like the fumes from a diesel engine. At first I thought a diesel car had pulled into the parking lot, but I was all alone !!

We've noticed a smell like this before but always put it down to a car in front of us. This started happening since winter arrived, thinking back it might be something to do with having the seat warmers on. Not sure if that's coincidence???

Anyway car is at the dealership right now and they haven't called me back :(

Anyone else had a problem like this ????

Thanks

sptrr2
  • sptrr2sptrr2 Member Posts: 12
    UPDATE - Dealer called back, says that the valve cover needs replacing, it's leaking and causing the blue smoke in the car.

I asked them to also look at the fuel door, it wouldn't open a few weeks ago. They said it needs an actuator, didn't think there was an actuator in there !!!!
  • windshieldtimewindshieldtime Member Posts: 4
    Guys,

Interesting discussion on tires. My FX35 has sport pkg w/20s, have 30,000 miles on originals and my dealer says my choices are original goodyears or Toyo proxes s/t - both are $200. I see where Falkens are available, but didnt like em on my old 5 series BMW. The Coopers look good, good tread rating, but how did u get them to fit...won't they wear unevenly? I'd appreciate any update on feel, noise, etc. Original GYs ok, but got a bit squirrelly on tight turns/bumps. My dealer says to go with Toyos.....cool tread pattern as well. Thanks!
  • haddabmwhaddabmw Member Posts: 4
    Took delivery of my FX45 with 20" tires on Saturday, just as the snow began to fall. First right turn on barely an inch of snow and I yawed severely, with little or no VSC intervention. So, you're not alone. BUT, I have some advice:

1) Don't bother with the Dealer...like Audi, they will never admit that a an SUV built for snow doesn't work in the snow.

2) Forget about putting 20" snow tires on stock rims...the only company which makes them is Dunlop, and they're likely sold-out (Tirerack and Discount Tires out-of-stock). Besides, they are "old technology" winters, which would provide only incremental traction.

3) The 20" rims are far more susceptible to "caking" of ice & snow (a design flaw in the wheel and/or wheel well, in my view), which results in severe steering wheel vibration until the ice/snow is either manually removed or melts (I have never experienced this in any other wheel, and I've driven many). Dealer will likely not own-up to this as well, or they might say this is "normal"...NOT!!!

4) So, if you want to drive on snow, you must get a 18" tire and wheeel package (I just ordered Blizzak Duelers with Fox VI alloy wheels from Tirerack - $1,400, including shipping). Unless you're loaded and don't mind throwing money away, don't even think about buying Infiniti 18" wheels (about $1,100 per rim, including the cost of the tire pressure valves, discussed below).

5) BUT, without the tire pressure monitors, the monitoring system won't work and, more importantly, you will get endless warnings from the computer on your dash and Nav screen. So, you will likely want to buy the sensor valves for the 18" package as well (to avoid having to switch valves from the 20"s to the 18"s and back every season change).

6) BUT, Dealer price for these valves is about $275 per valve. So, consider checking out dealers in used wheels/car parts. I did, and I'm having them shipped to me overnight for $75/valve (huge savings). I can get you the name of the company if you need it ("Capital" something, from California, and recommended to me by "Discount Tires").

7) Consider that you will likely run out of tread on your stock 20" tires prior to your ownership tenure. That said, by using the winter tires you get a useable SUV and you save treadlife on the stocks (hence, real cost to you is the cost of the wheels and valves). Consider, also, that you are most likely to damage the stock rims in the winter (potholes, hidden curbs, etc.) and one rim can cost you $900+ from the dealer. You won't sweat it so much if you happen to damage a $150 rim from Tirerack.

Helpful?
  • nogosnownogosnow Member Posts: 1
    Obviously, by buying this vehicle you have indicated an interest in safe travel during hazardous road conditions. Did the dealer (through its sales person)disclose any of the conditions complained of in your posting?It seems to be a massive cover-up by the Infinity people in selling this turd. After all you could have had an Escalade for this money.
    I assume that's a rhetorical question, but just in case - NO. In fact, even when I confronted Dealer about my experiences post-delivry, they still did not fess-up.

Recommemdation to Infinity - Do like BMW, put 20" summer/performance tires on the sport package, and indicate in the brochure that these are not suitable for winter driving. Then, at least Buyer has a very good tire during the non-winter months (instead of the "compromised" all-weather tire)and customers know up-front they need to make an additional up-front investment in winter wheels/tires. Or would that hurt sales...hmmm?

I feel especially sorry for FX 35 owners who opted for the Sport Package (likely, mainly for the wheels). At least FX 45 owners get the 8 cylinder for their misery, and can be comforted by the fact that they had no choice in the matter, since the 20" "nogosnows" come standard.
  • stevefx45stevefx45 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for all the information! A few comments back to you:

- I hear Dunlop sells the 20" tires only in CAnada. Some people had them shipped to the US but I did not know they ewre old style.

- I asked the dealer about the 265 mm 20" tires in the snow. Was told "not bad".

- IS it conceivable to just live with tire pressure warnings? I am already used to hitting the ENTER button to get past the legal disclainer very time I start the engine.

- do you have the name of Capital in alifornia? I might go that route after I ry to get through one more snow day using a different ddriving technique. I found the biggest problem is applying the brakes into a low speed turn.

Thanks again.
    My FX 45 got hit on the highway 3 weeks after i bought it!. All the local auto glass places could not get tehre hands on it so I paid well over $1,000 at the dealer. (I forget tehe xact amount -too painful).
    You're welcome.

You might say your dealer was somewhat honest..that comment would be enough to put me on notice.

Conceivable? Personal preference I guess, but if you don't have Nav, a possibility.

I will get the Capital info (name and number)to you tomorrow.

Service technician actually said to me he found traction INCREASED as you accelerate...perhaps instead of braking, you might want to try lightly accelerating into the turn (or you might not...good luck!).
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    Has anyone figured out a quick fix for this annoying start up screen?
    Have the 04 35 with 18s primarily because I thought the 20s were just too harsh. We've had a fair amount of snow in central Ohio this year and though I consided buying an 18in set of winter tires, did not and have been getting along just fine. I'm not a terribly cautious driver either, so I'm as likely to put my foot in it as not.

Roll
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Winshield time,

So far I have about 3000 miles on the new tires they do not look to be wearing unevenly I am at about 35-37 lbs of pressure in these. The ride and noise is better than stock. the also do not follow ruts in the roads like the GY's do. I was originally going to go with the Toyo's but these were less expensive and guys I know who run coopers on a 350z and 540i liked em a lot.

The only bad part is the wet traction is not as good as the GY's when they had tread. Also I went to cooper and found a local store who could order them. They were mounted balance with road hazard and 8.25% tax out the door for $804. You can order them online for as little as 149/ea if you have someone locally you trust to mount them.

The only trouble they had fitting them was getting them to "POP" once they were on the rim. That means getting the sidwalls aligned to the lip properly. The problem was there air machine only went to 105# of air. They took them to a fire stone and they popped at 125# of air. If I have any difficulties with the tires I will let you know.

My FX is in getting the 30k service (as in the manual and on edmunds) for $160 The dealer package was 500+ it is also getting new struts for the poping noise when backing out and a nev navigation controller because the map would not activate sometimes when the Service soon warning would come on. None of these are serious and outside of the 30k service all covered under warranty and I driving a G35 while they work on it. All in all I am extremely pleased with my FX. The only thing I would trade it on is maybe a new M35/45 in a few months.
    The post above from CLPurnell struck a cord. I thought I might add I am at 24K miles now and the orig tires are wearing very well. I expect to get another 6K to 10K out of them easily, maybe more. I rotate them every 3700 miles and while that may sound excessive, the tires have worn evenly and without cupping. I am surprised I have to admit, I expected to be fitting new rubber at 18K.

Roll
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    I just recently purchased an FX35 AWD one week ago and I have the same problem. I even made an appointment to the dealership for the rattling problem, but luckily I found out it came from the sun glass holder, it is not well insulated so if you put anything that is big enough it will bounce or move around when you drive and cause the rattle. I hope this helps.
    Hi everyone, I am first time owner of an Infiniti and first time on this forum or any forum. I recently purchase an FX35 AWD with towing package. After two days of purchasing it, I took it on the free way and when I reach 65-70 mph, I noticed the steering wheel shakes a lot so I am very concern. Also, some times when I am braking from 40 mph to a complete stop, it also vibrate and pull to the right and some time to the left. Has anyone run into this problem. I thought buying a new car and a expensive one would be trouble free, but I guess not. Please help me, any of your comment and opinion is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    No car make/brand is trouble free read edmunds long term review of the BMW 745 (70K) and Ferrari (150k+). Anyway to your problem had the car sat at the dealership a long time? What is the build date (can find inside the door)? Could be the tires have flat spotted. Other case is warped rotors could have happened also both of these are pretty common if a car has sat a long time.

Take it to the dealer and enjoy a cup a coffe or a free loaner while they work out the kinks.
    Wow, that was a quick response. Thank you so very much clpurnell. I did looked at the sticker and it was 02/04. I bought this '04 instead of the '05 because they gave me a good deal on it. So I guess it has been sitting on the lot for a while then. What do you think that cause the rotors to warp like that, weathering?
    If you are up north and it has been sitting since last feb most definantely it has seen the better part of two winters on the ground. I think it is more the tires having flatspots than the rotors. But if you are up north the rust build up on the rotors could surely have warped them.
    I live here in Southern California so you don't think it's warped rotors issue then. Like I said I bought the car last week and it has 22 miles on it. I did also noticed there was spider web near the back door hinge, no the passenger side. By the way, what are flatspots? Thanks again.
  • windshieldtimewindshieldtime Member Posts: 4
    clpurnell,

Thanks for the info, but I just purchased 4 Goodyear Eagle GT II tires, 285-50-R20, and I love them.. Wider profile..also got them siped for $10each - this process makes little cuts in tread for better traction and heat displacement. Discount Tire does it and got all for $730.00. They also had Coopers, GY OEMs, Toyos and Falkens.

Where did u do the 30,000 mile maint. for $160.00 - ur right, dealer wants $575, and all I need is airfilter and inspections. Thanks in advance.
    I own an FX 35 AWD with Sport, Tech, and Touring or whatever the leather package is called. I have commented previously about the mixed experience in snow with the car. The 20 inch tires did seem to float over rather than grip the snow. Are the tires OK otherwise, like rain, sleet, slush, etc...? Due to several posts I am beginning to wonder about the foul weather handling of this car. I live in Chicago so the weather can be lousy for a good part of the year. I don't drive in unplowed snow all that often as I walk to work but on weekends I drive to Wisconsin a lot. And the weather often is wet on the way up. I also find that the 20 inch wheels tend to "follow" ruts in the road and I have to grab the steering wheel from time to time. Anyone else with this problem? Beginning to wonder whether I should have bought the Lexus RX 330 or Volkswagen Toureg... Although I love the acceleration and handling of the car on dry roads. Thanks, Jon B.
    dante,

the stock tires are awesome in wet handling. but since they are V-rated (read performance) they will suck when the temps drop below 40. I live in houston so it's not a problem for me. If I was in chicago (and I grew up there) I would either try to pick up a set of 18" fx or murano wheels online and use those in the winter save the 20's for may - sep. will give you more mileage on the stock tires too.

Winshield

I looked at the Goodyear GT's but thought they would wear as quick and the ratings weren't all that great. They are a bargain for a 20" tire though. I went to the dealer and specified just an oil change, tire rotation and change both filters. Picked it up today total was 173. However I think one of my wheels are unbalanced now because I have a shimy above 65.

FX35AWD

Flatspots develop when the car sits for a long time with only one spot touching the pavement that spot gets out of round (flat) and causes the wheels to wobble. It usually goes away the more the car is driven.
    Good News!!!

Had 18" wheel and snow tire package "installed" today, without the tire pressure monitors ( Boys from Capital never came thru with valves...perhaps lost enroute???).

Guess what? No warnings whatsoevr on dash or Nav screen. So, save the $300 bucks on used valves and simply get the wheel/tire package.

Will be returning valves to Capital (once received).

Also, the ride with the 18" Blizzak snow tires was fantastic.
  • fx04driverfx04driver Member Posts: 1
    I really don't know when I know the light comes on on the dashboard when you turn on the car but other than that I don't know when it kicks in....

this last snow storm we had in DC made me feel very unsecure about driving my FX35 on snow; since I almost spin out of control driving it. I didn't feel like there was no 4 wheel traction, I could only feel the back wheels gripping to the road but the front wheels where everywhere. My pressure in on tires is 34 to 37 so I know is not a problem of bad presure and I have been rotating them every 7000 mine only has 19000. Is anyone else having this problem???
    Grazie! Jon B. (Dante)
  • ropedragropedrag Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if you can, and if so, how do you go about switching the tech package 04 key fobs for the sleaker and smaller 05 fobs.
    Are the tires OK otherwise, like rain, sleet, slush, etc...?

I also live in the chicago area, but have the Fx/35 AWD with the non-sport package. I find the 18 inch wheels more than adequate, and rather confidence inspiring on both wet & slushy roads, as well as on snow covered ones. Two weeks ago, I had my car at the dealer and I drove the loaner FX/35 with 20 inch wheels (I asked for it, otherwise as you already know G-35 is the norm). I immdediately noticed that the 20's floated over snow - it was snowing that particular day. You may want to seriously consider switching to the 18 inch wheels - at least for the winter months. You will be pleasantly surprised by the beneficial conseqeunces, including added traction in Rain and even in snow (and a slight improvement in gas mileage ). (One caveot, my FX with the 18's is stilll not as good as our QX/4 with narrower tires).
  • jgoldsteinjgoldstein Member Posts: 2
    The dealer tells me 20" snow tires will be available for the FX next year. Interesting especially with the literature from Infiniti recommends snow tires. I guess we wait until next year.
  • punjabi_sahibpunjabi_sahib Member Posts: 25
    hi, how are you all doin?

i was jus wonderin how the 20's did in dry hot weather on the roads, i plan to buy 1 soon and live in the arizona area, was just wondering how they were...thnx
  • GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    The 20's stick like glue. They are great on dry roads, especially when it is warm outside. You should be thrilled.
    Thanks for the update!!

I was abck at the dealeryesterday (new front wheel bearing under warranty -no hassle but at 20,000 miles??) and talked up one of the service managers. He told me that the dealers spare parts dept. sells aftermarket tire/wheel packages for $2300 and they do not bother with the pressure monitors becasue it adds $275 per tire.

Sounds like you got to the same palce on your own.

I am thinking of trying one more snow storm with the 20 inchers before I spring for the tire rack deal. Thanks for keeping everyonr updated.
    Hello everyone,

Cyrus, have you find out or resolve the rattling noise problem with your car? I too still have the same problem with my FX35 AWD (18" RIM). It is extremely annoying, especially when car only has 300 miles on it. I hear it when I drive over roads with very minor bumps. The rattling noise appear to be coming from the middle console or dash, I am not sure. Has anyone encounter this other than the two of us, Cyrus and I?

Please, please help us out.

FX35AWD

Thank you.
  • onebadfxonebadfx Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone found a place to purchase the satellite receiver other then the dealer? I can do the installation, but just don't want to pay the $400.00 for the parts.

Any help would be appreciated!

Ed
  • vishpoolvishpool Member Posts: 16
    anyone know the current mf and residual #s?

The best ones from my local dealers -- .00197 mf + .59 residual, for 36 months (f35 awd w/ tech, tour, sport)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There may be some links over in the XM & Sirius Satellite Radio discussion.

Steve, Host
    I'm sorry you are having the same rattling type noise as that in my FX. I took the car to the dealer - twice. They had portions of the Dash removed, including the Air ducts (right under the windshield) and the outside plastic covers (over the lower portions of wind sheild).

We drove around and the sound was not as loud - with all the items still out. They then "repackged" the dash items with "polyurthaane insulation". We drove again, but, "it" is still there (depsite their honest efforts). The dealer wants it back for more "experimentation", according to them - i.e., try different things in and out with or without extra insulation. I must admit, I hate the hassel of taking it back. I love the car and because I have owned Infiniti/Nissan's before I know it will out last and out perform most cars out there. I am just trying to be philosophical about the probelm, rather than let it ruin my immense enjoyment of driving the car. So far, I have drowned out the rattle by listening to my CD's more often (salsa by Armick, new age by Yanni, calassical by Bocelli, etc). By they way There is no "TSB" (service bulletin) for this problem. I will have it solved one way or the other. I will post if a solution is found.
  • webablewebable Member Posts: 3
    2004 fx35 with 7000miles touring and sport packege. 450 per month 42 months 12k miles a yesr and 500 out of pocket. Good deal or what?

Taxes included 8.75%
  • tedcruisertedcruiser Member Posts: 50
    I would bet the the source of your rattles is underneath your hood. The black plastic from the battery cover area and/or the brake fluid area is slapping against the metal framing that it rests on. You'll need to put some adhesive foam between the plastic and the framing.

You would swear that it is coming from the dash. It's not. Trust me and check out what I have explained
  • darthvedadarthveda Member Posts: 14
    WHOAAAAA that's an awesome deal!!!! which city did you get that from???

Thanks
  • jdjmathjdjmath Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experimented with the gear-shift verses the automatic? Which one gives the better gas mileage?
    I am sure that you consume more gas when you switch to manumatic... Why? Because you tend to stomp on the accelerator until you almost redline the engine and boy does the car lunge forwards. I switch to manumatic when I want to pass at high speeds and shift down to third gear. The car is a rocket when you do that. lots of fun but watch out for coppers...
    UpDATE:

Took the car in for the THIRD time to the Dealer for the LOUD rattling noise. To my Suprise the Manager seemed irritated that I was back for an item they have NOT Fixed. Afterwards, He was very offensive in his language and behaviour as I think he was also frustraed that he COULD NOT come up with a fix (see quotations below). This was totally unexpected (and UNAcceptable) for me despite my own frustration. I understand, a "squeek" here and there is perhaps normal. BUT NOT a loud rattle from the center of dash (or from under the hood). This time They insulated the black plastics from the battery cover area and/or the brake fluid area (which might be slapping against the metal framing that it rests on). NO Luck so far. In all fairness to Infiniti, this might be an isolated problem in just a few FXs, at least in mine and the other e-mail (the one with only 300 miles on odometer), which was listed recently (above). Nonetheless, I am very disturbed by the unprofessional behaviour and response of the Young infiniti service manager at my dealership -- " just live with it" or "Take it to another dealership" or "you are Fired as a coustomer"; What kind of a non-sense is this- perhaps more testosterone driven on his part than anything else (i am a guy myself so no pun or offense intended). I must admit, I am extremly disappointed more so than anything else.

I list my ordeal so that if anyone has had a similar experience will reply to my e-mail. I also would like Infiniti to Fix this problem. They should fix it or give me a new car. Otherwise I will not ever buy another Infiniti and would not recommend one. I still love the FX depsite it minor shortcomings. Thanks.
    It might help to contact Infiniti and tell them about your experience. Wouldn't hurt to cc the owner of the dealership either.

Steve, Host
    I would definitely contact Infiniti and provide details of the poor customer service you have received. After I bought my Infiniti I was contacted by Infiniti (via survey) to find out how my purchase experience and recent servicing went with their dealership. Since I have an awesome dealer in Chicago I gave a very favorable report. However, the fact that Infiniti contacts its customers about their dealers shows that they are interested in maintaining a positive overall experience and may intervene on your behalf, e.g., fix your problem...

Jon B.
    If you write, remind them that CEO Carlos Ghosn just said the challenge is "making sure the customer experience is one that is clearly ahead of the competition and one that the customer looks at as a delightful experience." Inside Line

Steve, Host
    Cyrus, I am sorry you had such a horrible experience. The rattle problem in my car has not go away either, but I will bring my car in next Friday and hopefully I will have better luck with the service department. I know what you are saying, the noise is extremely annoying. I even encounter another noise some time last week on the driver door, the rattling noise was loud as if the window is vibrating against some metal part. It went away now, but who knows it might come back. This is my first time owning an Infiniti. I have own Acura and Lexus in the past and I have not encounter any rattling noise. Well, wish me luck, I will bring the car in next week, I will keep you posted.
  • cppcpp Member Posts: 33
    Since I have an awesome dealer in Chicago...

If you don't mind my asking, who's your dealer? I just moved to the Chicago area and went to Motor Werks for my 30K service. One visit isn't really enough to pass judgement, but they seemed pretty average - no huge complaints, but nothing that stood out as exceptional service either. Don't get me wrong, though - I'll be overjoyed to have average service from an Infiniti dealer, after my previous dealer in Virginia.

Thanks...