Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• cautious confidence.... I'm 50 miles west of B'More & we got the same storm Philly was expecting. I canned work Friday but went out for a while to see how it would do in our 10 inches before they got it cleaned up on the roads. Mixed results: in AWD it did fine. Without the lock on (I have a 2003) it slipped a bit at low speeds. clpurnel- are you sure the AWD kicks in if the rear wheels slip? (Haven't had a chance to check the manual on that one). Also, I've had other cars with VDC and never disabled it in snow - it rarely kicks in and you may need it if it does.
    On another subject: I made an appt. to have the ECM airbag reprogrammed and the dealer was well aware of the recall but they had not heard anything about the front caliper bolt announcement referenced in an earlier post....FYI.
  • I had the same experience. The dealer new all about the ECM recall, but didn't know what I was talking about on the brake recall. Everything I have read said they will start notify owners in January. So I will wait till then. You would think the dealers would already be moving on this.
  • You should only disable the VDC in deep snow so you can get free. You should put it back on when you are out of the deep snow so you can keep the rubber side down and the nose pointed in the right direction.
  • Anyone familiar with these on '03 fx premium pkg (no tech)? We've adjusted as per manual with ignition key in "on" position, but the seats often don't go where they're supposed to when we go to start it up. Or are you supposed to push button 1 or 2 on the side of the seat every time after you've turned on the ignition? That seems silly. Manual really isn't clear on this.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    I was just relaying what I heard elsewhere about the vdc. Yes the AWD is supposed to kick in anytime the rear wheels slip I have heard it takes a second. I have no first hand experience with the FX in snow because I live in houston and have a RWD version.

Krodren

You have to program each remote to the seat memory (1 or 2) then when you open the doors the seat will hold those presets otherwise it will go back to whatever the last position was. Luckily my wife and I are of similar height so I have only programmed my settings. As I recall you must set all your presets store them in one of the memory settings and then hold your remote close to the seat to program it. I do not have access to my owners manual maybe someone else could help you out more with the specifics. I am also assuming this is the same for non tech cars as I have the tech package.
  • kroden,

to set the memory of the seat, steering wheel/instrument cluster and sideview mirrors...
    1.set everything up to your liking
    2.with the key turned to the "on" position
    3.press and hold the set button for a count of three
    4.then press and hold button 1 or 2 for a count of three
    now to link the memory (1 or 2) to the keyless remote...within 5 seconds of setting the memory, press and hold the unlock button on the specific remote.

good luck
  • So , I bought an Fx which I now REGRET !!
    I live 75 miles from the dealer. I must take the vehicle back for a warped hatch, a defective airbag, and an unattached brake rotor which can kill me & my family if I apply the brakes !
    Two hours gettng there, Four hours repair, two hours to home -- for each defect. My dealer hasn't heard about the airbag & brake thing yet !!
    MAKE ME AN OFFER !!
  • my fx45 drivers seat has a slight rocking motion. the dealer says its normal, but its driving me crazy what can i do. I feel it AS I START AND STOP HELP WHAT DO I DO
    The dealer is lying to you there is a TSB out for this the number is TT-03037 (I got this from the NHTSA site). Take this to your dealer and have them fix it I had mine fixed 5 months ago.

Duffer7
    I've had all these things(except brake caliper) done to my FX and while it may be a Pain to have them done I wouldn't sell my FX over it. What you gonna buy instead a BMW or Touareg?? It is a first year model and will have some problems but all mine have been fixed and I love my car.
  • If you prefer to trade a vehicle for these issues, that is your choice, but I personally feel that you are over-reacting.

The air bag and brake caliper bolt are recent issues, so the dealers may not have all of the info just yet. Both of these should be able to be completed in under 30 minutes together. If you are worried about "an unattached brake rotor which can kill me & my family if I apply the brakes", (actually it is a caliper bolt that may not have been correctly torqued), have a local mechanic inspect the caliper bolts on the front brakes - or if your handy, check them yourself.

As far as the hatch goes, have the dealer order a replacement, and have all (3) issues completed together.

If all else fails, maybe I'll buy it, but only for cheap - it's got a lot of problems!
  • If you do decide to sell your FX, be sure to first check out some of the other boards here, especially the VW Touareg SUV, where the list of "defects" is MUCH longer and MUCH more serious than your 3 issues. Have the dealer set you up with a loaner, and have all three done together, maybe combined with an oil change. No need to be more inconvenienced more than necessary, and the dealer will know exactly how to do a permanent repair on each item, at which point you should be good to go.
  • Thanks for the responses--maybe I wasn't holding the buttons down long enough.
    Final question (remember it's non-tech pkg): Do I have to push the 1 or 2 button every time before I turn the key? Or--aha!--does the keyfob only work on the seats when I use it to unlock the door? Meaning I'd have to push a button if I got into the car when it was unlocked?
    Even if it is unlocked just push the unlock button on the right keyfob again it should go to your presets. Other wise you have to use the side buttons.
  • I had the ECM airbag taken care of yesterday & it took about ten minutes. The dealer still hasn't heard about the caliper bolt problem but said that maybe the reason that there isn't a campaign is that checking the bolts is something they do with a routine service (15 K variety) so if you've had a 15 K service it's a non-issue. As for the hatch,it appears to only effect a very limited number of FX's - mine wasn't one of them. duffer- if you have managed to escape minor fixes and adjustments on the new vehicles you've purchased then you are in a vast minority. Take care of it and move on. If you need a real "lemon" story to compare your FX woes to, let me know & I'll tell you about a Ford Explorer I bought a few years back.
  • rollbarrollbar Posts: 297
    Just picked up my 2004 FX 35 AWD. Touring and Tech with a couple of other items; cargo mat, splash guards and much to my surprise, cross bars in the roof rack. Apparently the dealer didn't know the car had them and so "ate" the cost. I would not have ordered them but.......

I'm a little dissappointed I can't have the door locks set to lock automatically when I reach a predetermined speed. Service tells me none of the Infinity models have that capability.

Love the car so far, and it seems the 60 series tires do soften the ride just a bit. :-)

Roll
  • gibogibo Posts: 22
    I finally drove the FX35 today. My husband had driven it before. I had just crawled around the showroom one and studied it online for weeks. I was very excited about it until I hit the gas petal.... and nothing... then something ... but not much. Maybe it was because I had just been driving the new Durango with that monster cool engine. The dealer said that it was because the engine has to be broken in and the car has to learn my driving style. ... uh huh. I wanted it to get up and go like my Tundra did. (or the Q45 or the Volvo or the Mustang.)
      How does the FX45 compare? I didn't want to be getting that far up there in price, but I don't want to spend $40k+ and not be thrilled.
      I almost want to go back and drive another one. Maybe there was something wrong with that one. I'm so disappointed. I also noticed that the seats are a little narrow. Too bad... so sad.
    I finally drove the FX35 today. My husband had driven it before. I had just crawled around the showroom one and studied it online for weeks. I was very excited about it until I hit the gas petal.... and nothing... then something ... but not much. Maybe it was because I had just been driving the new Durango with that monster cool engine. The dealer said that it was because the engine has to be broken in and the car has to learn my driving style. ... uh huh. I wanted it to get up and go like my Tundra did. (or the Q45 or the Volvo or the Mustang.)
      How does the FX45 compare? I didn't want to be getting that far up there in price, but I don't want to spend $40k+ and not be thrilled.
      I almost want to go back and drive another one. Maybe there was something wrong with that one. I'm so disappointed. I also noticed that the seats are a little narrow. Too bad... so sad.
    I'm really surprised by your statement I saw on the touareg thread that you were also considering those. The FX35 is FASTER than both the Durango Hemi and The Touareg V8 (also beats the porsche Cayenne S) so I am very surprised it is not quick enough. My car flies and I would be in way too much trouble if I otped for the v8 (wife has gotten one ticket in it already). I would drive another. The Hemi might feel faster off the line because of all the torque. If you are into torque test the 45.
  • Yeah that Tundra's a rocket for sure. The FX35 is quicker than the Tundra, any Durango, including the 5.7 Hemi Gas Guzzler 12mpg(Yeehaw),& any Volvo except the S60R. On the next FX35 test drive release the parking brake, that'll help.
       The FX45 is quicker than the FX35 for certain, but you may have to go with the 450 hp Cayenne Turbo to approach your mighty Tundra.
        Good luck....
        Oh BTW I'm 6'2" & weigh 240 & the seats fit me perfectly fine. Too narrow you say, hmmm.
  • kroden- if you have the intelligent key (Tech pkg.) then you do not need to push the unlock on the fob for it to know which memory setting to execute.

gibo- You gotta be kidding. Drive another one that's bs that it needs to be broken in. I'd find another dealer too if they are telling you things like that.
  • rollbarrollbar Posts: 297
    I was wondering about breaking the car in too. The manual says don't do full throttle acceleration for the first 1000 miles but the dealer never mentioned a breakin period. My car had 290 miles on it so I know it was tested before I got it. (130 of those were to bring the car down from a Cleveland dealer.)

The FX 45 has more torque but I am not dissappointed in the power of the FX 35 at all. In fact I think it's quick in traffic; pleanty fast enough for around town. My summer driver is a supercharged 2.7 Boxster (0 to 60 5.2) so it's not like I'm comparing the FX35 to my mothers old sedan.

Things for Infinity to improve: (Now that I've had the car for a few days.)

Outside mirrors should be antiglare/self dimming just like the inside mirror. Other manufacturers do it.

There should be an option to have all doors lock at a preset speed.

Those are nitpicky items though and I am very satisified with the vehiicle.

Roll
  • If you didn't think the FX35 was fast compared to the durango then something was wrong with that FX. I you want something to be thrilled about-look at the gas gauge on the durango when you floor it compared to the gas gauge on the FX. The FX is 7.3 to 60 mph. I like to see what the durango is.
    There was something up with that one. There had to be. My part of the test drive was only a few minutes. I want to take it out for an afternoon. The husband has ruled it out because it's too small and he wants something Sequoia-sized. But I may trade in my Volvo for the FX35 if it behaves like I think it should.
      How can I keep the dealers from going on the test drives with me? That's annoying. I'm guessing it's because I'm young and it's obvious from my license that I'm in the military. (translation: they think I can't afford it)
      And anyone heard about the QX56? Is the pricing supposed to be like the QX4? When is that big boy supposed to be available?
  • wibblewibble Posts: 569
    The QX56 should be appearing Feb/March. Pricing will probably be $47K to $51K but almost everything will be standard.
    As far as taking the car for a drive yourself, ask the dealer about a BCC (Borrowed Car Agreement). My local dealer let me take a car for a couple of hours on one.
  • cainepcainep Posts: 35
    I believe that Enterprise now have FX's in their rental fleet (probably around $100/day), so you could really try one out without salesmen.
  • stanny1stanny1 Posts: 962
    Had this feature on my last car - a 2000 Lincoln LS Manual - and it drove me nuts.
    Thank God my 45 has "manual" locking.
  • 93fsu193fsu1 Posts: 97
    That wasn't a line of bull about "breaking in" the car. As with most late model automatic transmissions, it has a computer that adjusts performance based upon the driving style of the driver. On a test drive the car will behave tuned towards the last person who drove it.

Also, the other poster is correct about Enterprise having them for rent. They are mostly for use as service loaners but if you call your local offices they should be able to get one for you to rent for a day or two so you can give it a real test drive without a salesman.
  • Had this feature on several cars and really disliked it. If there was not a way to disable, I would never buy a new car with that feature. My last experience was with a used Dodge Caravan and it would lock and unlock on it's own every few minutes and all the chimes would ding. Just something else to go wrong that I have to pay to fix. If I want to lock the other doors, it's a matter of flipping a switch. Not too difficult. Don't want a car to think for me.
  • Could the lack of performance on the FX be that you had it in manual shift mode and then failed to down=shift it manually when you needed some power? The only time it will downshift itself is when you come to a full stop. The Fx-even the 35- will smoke most other SUV's on the market. Something is defintely not right. Hope you try it again, and don't worry about the salesman. Tell him to prepare for the test drive of his life. He'll probably enjoy it. Did you ever see the 'test drive' scene in the movie 'USED CARS'?
  • Had an appointment for an oil change and the air bag fix today over my lunch hour. When I got there, about 20 minutes late, they also advised me that the brake caliper issue also came up on my vehicle (I have an early build '03 FX45) so this would add approximately 30 minutes to my wait. Without me asking they offered a loaner which was really nice because I had work to do back at the office, and I really didn't want to be there for 2 hours. I picked it up after work, and of course it was washed and the interior was nicely vacuumed. Total cost (I brought in my own Mobil 1) was a very reasonable $26.61.

So far (10,800 miles) the Infiniti ownership experience has been great!