Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• jmg35jmg35 Posts: 6
    My wife and I have owned one since January and we absolutely love everything about it. My wife would not even consider the RX, she feels the styling is bland.
  • jccsscjccssc Posts: 44
    Thanks, clpurnell/jmg35. Really love the car. It is everything that I expected and more. All my co-workers love the look and I noticed a lot of headturners while driving. : )
    jccssc
  • AWD Lock mode reduces power. YES, it also increases fuel consumption, per the FX45 owners manual. The clutch is engaged, power is now distributed, and power needs to be reduced to avoid clutch slippage (and wear and tear). That is not mentioned, but using a clutch to lock all four wheels to the transmission is an additional load. Inifinit was clever to use a clutch arrangement for the the FX (and their other car models).

As I said stated before I tested the limits of the FX45tech 03 in a lot for a few hours to determine how I would recommend to my wife when to engage AWD lock. I found it was best to engage AWD lock when driving in deep snow or on ice.

Thanks for additional information. I stated 20mph, but it is actually 18mph, small detail, but clearing it up helps the rest of the owners understand the operations of the FX.

I understand and can live within FX boundaries of operation. It is so thrilling to drive. When I get that chance from my wife :).
  • bigtex1bigtex1 Posts: 2
    I'm looking to put DVD monitors in my FX35 headrests - has anyone did this yet? What size screen were you able to but in the existing headrest? Who did your work and how much did you pay? What brand of DVD system/screens did you buy? Recently I was told that a 7" screen is too big for the current headrests.

Hoping some has some insight before I take the plunge...
  • wibblewibble Posts: 569
    I've seen an FX35 with the DVD lile that. The screens were 5 inch and it looked like that was as large as you could go. The DVD player was positioned in the same place as the factory one.
  • billyperksbillyperks Posts: 449
    Am I missing something here?

I thought the FX came with an optional DVD entertainment feature with flip down screens.

If so, why spend the extra cash for screens to be in the headrest.

Not that I care- its your dough.
    You can only get the factory DVD system if you have the tech and sports packages. Also, FX's with factory installed DVD's are a bit thin on the ground at the moment.
  • petewat3petewat3 Posts: 83
    .... do you mean that they are in short supply? The factory-installed unit (I have one) is a 9 1/2 in. screen I believe. Much better than 2 5 inchers if you can pay for the tech or sport pkgs.
    Yep! Exactly what I meant. At my local dealer there are around 20 FX35s with tech and sport but only 1 has the DVD player. Seems pretty much par for the course over southern Cal.
  • Before you go installing electronics into the headrests, remember that the car has 'active' headrests ~ meaning that they respond rather dramatically in the event of a collision, snapping forward and extending to protect the front-seat passengers from whiplash. Make sure you discuss this with the installers of your DVD equipment. Improperly installed equipment can cause serious problems, and possibly void portions of your warrantee.
  • petew4petew4 Posts: 71
    yeh...I wondered about that- where the active mechanism was located. Is it actually in the headrest? ...or the seat back? Even if there's nothing in the headrest itself it could damage the dvd screen when snapping forward (seems to me).
    The mechanics are all in the seat backs. I've seen DVD screens installed in the headrests of Fxs and G35s and it doesn't interfere with the operation of the active headrests at all.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    From the illustration on the Infiniti website:
    Description:
    In certain rear-end collisions, active front head restraints move upward and forward to help cushion the head and assist in helping to reduce whiplash-type injuries.

It seems the active headrest safety feature is more mechanical and does not seem to have an electronic component (I could be wrong).
    "It seems the active headrest safety feature is more mechanical and does not seem to have an electronic component."

You are 100% correct. It is a fully mechanical system.
    I just got back from a 1150 mi. road trip & noted a curious anomaly. I've previously done this trip twice before - once in July & once in November & both times had about a 17.2 mpg gas mileage. It's to the Smokies from MD & I always mix in some Mtn. driving on the Blueridge Parkway & any other windy mtn. road I can find (yehaa!) but most of the mileage is freeway at 78-82 mph. Anyway, this time my mpg was 18.3 with an average speed of 50.4 (about the same average mph as previous trips) but for the other two trips I averaged 17.2 mpg. I had just had the 22.5K service & they had taken the tire pressure up to 40 lbs (35-36 cold) from my usual 32-35. I left it there because I wanted to see how it performed with the extra pressure & it felt good (a lil harsh but tolerable). To make a long story short (shorter?), it seems that the extra air pressure makes a significant difference in gas mileage (17.2 vs. 18.3). Otherwise I can't account for the difference. BTW- that's with a 45Tech/Sport with 20 in stock wheels and tires. Anyone else experimented with the tire pressure?
  • That's in line with my experience as well. As long as you don't notice any adverse effects on handling/noise, you should be OK. Infiniti recommends 35 cold psi for both front and rear tires so it sounds like the service tech did a thorough job!
  • jpiatchekjpiatchek Posts: 177
    I'm only running about 32lbs in mine for the last 6000 miles. Haven't noticed if that makes a difference on mileage or not, but it seems like my mileage isn't as good as it once was. I have an FX 35 and run about 80 on the hiway and used to get about 19.5-20mpg. Seems like it's dropped about 1 mpg here lately. I have noticed what seems to be a drop in mileage when I use 89 or 88 octane. How are your tires wearing? I have 15,000 on mine and don't think I'll get another 10,000 out of them. I've read in places that the tires tend to wear down the middle if run at 35lbs+. Curious to what you or others are experienceing.
  • petewat3petewat3 Posts: 83
    I've got 25K on the 20 inchers and I can't tell that they have worn much at all. Most of that time has been at 32-35 lbs.. I'll see how the 36-40 works for wear - I think I'm going to leave them at that for a while since the mileage is so much better. I do feel the road more though.
    ...that there is not much activity on this thread. To me it says that there aren't any problems to discuss.
  • jgq1jgq1 Posts: 11
    The only problem I noticed with my 7 hour old FX is that it tend to slow down traffic on two way roads when I'm trying to make a left. I wind up staying longer than I used to on the same intersection :)
  • d_in_njd_in_nj Posts: 23
    Umm... that would be me slowing down traffic. Every time I see one it hits me inside how much I love it!

Test driving tomorrow. I have heard from one dealership (no price yet) on a 2004 FX35 - touring & sport. Tomorrow, I'm also calling the far away dealership to see if they do in fact have an '03. I'm curious now to see what they would do with it. They didn't email me back when I inquired if they had it.

Thank you so much for invoices on the '03. I just didn't see them at first on my own.

Deanne
    My thank you should be on the FX buying thread. Anyway, you guys are great, too!
  • jgq1jgq1 Posts: 11
    d_in_nj: go to the infiniti website and contact all the dealerships that are within driving distance. Within 24 hours some will contact you and other may not be as fast. One thing for sure, infiniti corporate Customer Service will contact you to rate the response from the dealerships you contacted. If any did not respond to you, you can bet that they will after you rate them with infiniti corporate!

Best of luck with your purchase!
    exactly what I did on the '03 and have yet to hear a word back. I'll happily leave feedback on the situation!

It's funny, so far it seems I'll get initial feedback, but if they don't have exactly what I want, they aren't wanting to work on it. Their loss, I guess.
  • There are ZERO '03s out there, you may give up on that quest UNLESS you're looking for a pre-owned. Dealers do have a lot of inventory on the '04s, though, you will be able to cut a good deal if you're reasonable in your expectations.
    I'm sorry but your post is nonsense. My local dealer has 18 new 2003 FX's in stock. Within a 50 mile radius there are 54. even with my limited arithmetical skills I can see that 54 is a lot more than zero.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    My local dealer...

Unless you guys live in the same town it's not particularly illuminating to challenge the accuracy of local claims quite so vigorously.

tidester, host
    I would take issue with that. Most Infiniti dealers will deliver a car anywhere in the U.S. so the fact that I live in southern California where there are at least 54 new 2003 FX's within an hours drive it not necessarily irrelevant to anyone elsewhere. When a car can be delivered from California to Maine for around $600 then there is no reason, if someone can negotiate a good deal for a 2003 over the Internet or the 'phone, that they cannot obtain one.
    I really don't want to get inot a contest with infinitimaven over this. He is the one who stated there were ZERO (his caps, not mine) new 2003's available.

P.S. There are 5 of them within 50 miles of his location. Not many but not 0 either :)
  • jmoneyjmoney Posts: 25
    I was just shopping for a new suv and had narrowed it down to the Cayenne S and the FX 45. On my first over the phone negotiation to the first infiniti dealer that I contacted, I got them to offer an 04 FX 45 with prememium and technology packages, xm radio, cargo net and splash guards for $47,300 which is about $300 over published invoice. As decision time approached, I got them to come down another $500 just for settling on a color other than silver (my first but not only choice).
    In the end, I chose the Cayenne S because of an incredible deal that could not be passed up. Might point however is that deals can be had on the 45 much more than the 35. If you work it right, you can get an 04 fx 45 with all that extra power and all the goodies for just 3 - 7 k more than a comprably equiped 04 fx 35. Assuming that you can't find an 03, give the big a shot.
    $36,600 on a 2004 FX35 with touring, cargo net, splash guards & roof rails. Exterior & interior color I want. Looks to be about $300 over invoice. Decent deal, ya think?

? - How up-to-date do you think the dealership inventory is on Infiniti.com?