Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• I would bet the the source of your rattles is underneath your hood. The black plastic from the battery cover area and/or the brake fluid area is slapping against the metal framing that it rests on. You'll need to put some adhesive foam between the plastic and the framing.

You would swear that it is coming from the dash. It's not. Trust me and check out what I have explained
  • WHOAAAAA that's an awesome deal!!!! which city did you get that from???

Thanks
  • Has anyone experimented with the gear-shift verses the automatic? Which one gives the better gas mileage?
  • dantedante Posts: 92
    I am sure that you consume more gas when you switch to manumatic... Why? Because you tend to stomp on the accelerator until you almost redline the engine and boy does the car lunge forwards. I switch to manumatic when I want to pass at high speeds and shift down to third gear. The car is a rocket when you do that. lots of fun but watch out for coppers...
  • cyruscyrus Posts: 25
    UpDATE:

Took the car in for the THIRD time to the Dealer for the LOUD rattling noise. To my Suprise the Manager seemed irritated that I was back for an item they have NOT Fixed. Afterwards, He was very offensive in his language and behaviour as I think he was also frustraed that he COULD NOT come up with a fix (see quotations below). This was totally unexpected (and UNAcceptable) for me despite my own frustration. I understand, a "squeek" here and there is perhaps normal. BUT NOT a loud rattle from the center of dash (or from under the hood). This time They insulated the black plastics from the battery cover area and/or the brake fluid area (which might be slapping against the metal framing that it rests on). NO Luck so far. In all fairness to Infiniti, this might be an isolated problem in just a few FXs, at least in mine and the other e-mail (the one with only 300 miles on odometer), which was listed recently (above). Nonetheless, I am very disturbed by the unprofessional behaviour and response of the Young infiniti service manager at my dealership -- " just live with it" or "Take it to another dealership" or "you are Fired as a coustomer"; What kind of a non-sense is this- perhaps more testosterone driven on his part than anything else (i am a guy myself so no pun or offense intended). I must admit, I am extremly disappointed more so than anything else.

I list my ordeal so that if anyone has had a similar experience will reply to my e-mail. I also would like Infiniti to Fix this problem. They should fix it or give me a new car. Otherwise I will not ever buy another Infiniti and would not recommend one. I still love the FX depsite it minor shortcomings. Thanks.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,568
    It might help to contact Infiniti and tell them about your experience. Wouldn't hurt to cc the owner of the dealership either.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I would definitely contact Infiniti and provide details of the poor customer service you have received. After I bought my Infiniti I was contacted by Infiniti (via survey) to find out how my purchase experience and recent servicing went with their dealership. Since I have an awesome dealer in Chicago I gave a very favorable report. However, the fact that Infiniti contacts its customers about their dealers shows that they are interested in maintaining a positive overall experience and may intervene on your behalf, e.g., fix your problem...

Jon B.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,568
    If you write, remind them that CEO Carlos Ghosn just said the challenge is "making sure the customer experience is one that is clearly ahead of the competition and one that the customer looks at as a delightful experience." Inside Line

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• fx35awdfx35awd Posts: 218
    Cyrus, I am sorry you had such a horrible experience. The rattle problem in my car has not go away either, but I will bring my car in next Friday and hopefully I will have better luck with the service department. I know what you are saying, the noise is extremely annoying. I even encounter another noise some time last week on the driver door, the rattling noise was loud as if the window is vibrating against some metal part. It went away now, but who knows it might come back. This is my first time owning an Infiniti. I have own Acura and Lexus in the past and I have not encounter any rattling noise. Well, wish me luck, I will bring the car in next week, I will keep you posted.
  • cppcpp Posts: 36
    Since I have an awesome dealer in Chicago...

If you don't mind my asking, who's your dealer? I just moved to the Chicago area and went to Motor Werks for my 30K service. One visit isn't really enough to pass judgement, but they seemed pretty average - no huge complaints, but nothing that stood out as exceptional service either. Don't get me wrong, though - I'll be overjoyed to have average service from an Infiniti dealer, after my previous dealer in Virginia.

Thanks...
    Fletcher Jones on Clark.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    Well I just drove my FX from Houston to LA with a firend of mine. It will be living in LA for the next couple of months. The car performed flawlessly we averaged over 73 mph for the entire trip. We were probably cruising in the 80-90 mph range the majority of the time.

We each did 4-6 hour trips behind the wheel while the other one slept. We arrived in San Diego (a interim stop) in about 21 hours including a 1.5 hour nap at a rest stop.

Had to say it was one of the easiest road trips I ever made. No back pain little fatiguge and a great ride. My only wish is that we had XM or Sirrus installed for the trip. We got about 21.5 mpg for the trip using a mixture of mid and regular. I am so impressed with this car as at 30k+ miles it has been the best car I have owned.
    Hi Clpurnell, so it is okay to use regular (87) and mid (89) grade gasoline and it would not void the guarantee or damage the car engine? I read in the manual regarding type of fuel to use and from what I got out of it is I can pretty much use any grade of gasoline just as long as it is unleaded. Is this true? Please clarify for. Thank you.
  • GischpelGischpel Posts: 133
    yes, you can use any grade as long as it is unleaded. I run 87, 89 and 93 octane depending on price and plans for driving (lots of local vs. highway). I have had no issues with any grade, but definitely notice the power difference with 93. I thought I read somewhere that premium produces something like 30 or 40 more HP than regular. That seems hard to believe. I wish I could recall the source...
    you can use any gas. A while back a few of us FX owners got together and did some 0-60 runs. We found that with 87 vs 93 there was a .3-.5 difference 0-60. So you give up some power but nowhere near 30-40 hp I would say 5-15 max. i ran premium for a long time and switched to reg and mid grade and have had 0 problems and the car still flies.
    Thanks Gischpel and Clpurnell for your responses. That is a sign of relieve since the gasoline price is on the rise again, especially in California. My mistake is I bought two SUVs. The other one is a Honda Pilot EX-L that gets only 17-19 mpg.

Thanks again.
  • aphyltonaphylton Posts: 1
    When are they going to redesign this truck? I am in the market for one, but do not want to purchase one if it will be redesigned in the next year.
    I bought, and love, an FX 35 AWD (2004) with everything including the sport package which means I have the 20 inch wheels. When I test drove the car I was on good roads and the ride felt fine as I like a firm ride. However, my wife, who did not test drive the car and has now fallen for my FX, has noted that the ride is too harsh on our bad roads. I don't want to give up the 20 inch wheels as I love the grip and look. But can the suspension be modified safely? Or can a different tire, maybe one with a higher profile, be put on the car so as to soften the ride? Anyone try any of these options? Thanks, Jon B.
    I also have a Pilot EX-L RES in addition to my FX. The Pilot lives in Texas. While I have my FX with me while I'm here in Sunny California. The 2.17 for regualr is a lot higher than the 1.70 I pay at home.
    I find the ride better with my cooper tires but if I were you I would pick up a set of 18's if your roads are that bad. i live in a warm climate so the streets are ok. If I still lived up north no matter how I like the 20's I would have gone for the 18's but in 2003 if you wanted tech you didn't have a choice.
    I recommend you get a set of 18" wheels. Also, it's not a good a idea if you keep the 20" and use higher profile tires because it can change your speedometer reading when you change the outside diameter. I have the stock 18" on mine and the ride is fine. Good luck!
  • Hi everyone, this is my first post on this board. To give you a little background, I currently own a Mazda MX-6 and my wife drives an Acura MDX. We have a 14 month baby girl, and it is getting very difficult for me to get her in and out of the car seat, if I have to pick her up.

So, I'm in the market for a new vehicle. I had wanted to stay with a manual transmission -- I don't have traffic in my commute and prefer the fun and feel of a manual transmission.

Anyway, I had narrowed the choice down to the Acura TL 6MT and the Infiniti G35 Sedan with 6MT. After weighing all of the pros and cons, I decided to go with the G35.

Then came the baby car seat test, in which the G35 did not do well. The TL has a latch position in the center, so you can place a rear-facing car seat in the middle and still have room for 2 adults on the outside positions. The G35 does not have this.

I then tried to put the rear-facing car seat behind the drivers seat and the passengers seat. Even with the seats adjusted to my short 5'8" frame, I found that I had to move the seats too far forward in the G35. The Acura was a tiny bit better in this regard. Since my heart was set on the G35, I was very disappointed in this.

We only have one child now, but hope to have a second one in the future. Meaning that we will probably have both a forward facing toddler seat and a rear facing infant seat in the back. So, I really need a vehicle that can accomodate both.

This brings me to small SUV's. I test drove both the Infiniti FX35 and the Lexus RX330. The Lexus is more practical, but I really prefer the looks and sporty feel of the FX35. I preferred the control and feel of the FX35 sport suspension, with the 20" wheels, even though the ride was a tad harsher. I live in Dallas, and a RWD car with big wheels will rarely have weather issues to contend with.

I would appreciate any advice, especially with regards to the baby car seats, that would help me make my decision. If there are any parents of young children out there that have faced a similar problem recently, I would appreciate your input.

I have checked out the Infiniti Snugkids website, but it does not say anything about how to put a car seat in the center position.

One thought is to go with the my first choice, the G35. The problems with the infant car seat will only be for the first couple of years. After which the baby will be in a forward-facing car seat that the G35 can easily accomodate. Do I rule out my #1 choice just because of a car seat? Like I said, I was very disappointed when the G35 did not do well with the car seats. I'm beginning to think that all mid-size sedans will have this problem.

Sorry for the long email. Thanks.
    Another option other than new wheels and tires is to try adding a Strut Tower Brace or strut bar. I put a Stillen STB on mine and it made a world of difference with the 20" tires. It seems to glide over bumps that used to shake my bones and it handles even better than before.

2003 FX35 AWD
  • taks1taks1 Posts: 1
    sorry to hear about your problems with the G35. i own one myself and have a little one as well. we never had an issue putting a car-seat in the back behind the passenger. perhaps it is the style of seat you are using? of course, as large as i am (6'3") there is no hope of putting the seat behind the driver's side... either way, now that tiny is in a front facing seat, there are no issues whatsoever.
    How much did you pay for your Stillen strut bar and where did you buy it at? I was thinking about getting one for my FX35 as well. Please let me know. Thanks!

Any recommendation for the Stillen intake system.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    vanhalenabe,

i did not get a chance to use infant seats in our FX35, mainly because my twins were already in forward-facing convertible seats by the time we bought our FX.

there are no specific LATCH anchors in the 2nd row middle position. if attaching a rear-facing infant-only child seat using LATCH, the inner anchors of each side will need to be used. now, there are limitations to doing this because the space between anchors should not exceed a certain length. this seems to vary depending on the child seat itself. so, consult your manual or call the manufacturer.

currently, my twins use britax marathons. both seats are in the outboard positions. i have not tried to put one in the middle and the other in one of the outboard positions, but i'm sure that it won't fit. actually, no adult can ride in the middle seat with the 2 seats in place. previously, we were using britax roundabouts and i was able to place one in the middle when we needed to seat someone, but i don't recommend it.

also, you will find that infant-only seats will last you for so many months only. you do want to invest on a good toddler seat since your child will be using this for a while.

as for the tl, i don't think it has LATCH anchors in the middle seat also. Per TL occupant protection, it says There are 3-point shoulder/lap belts at every seat, and both outboard rear seats are LATCH-compatible. You may have used the inner anchors of both outboard positions when you evaluated the TL.
    i apologise for my ignorance (and thank you for the recommendation) but what is a strut bar and will it really improve the ride? Can the dealer install it? Thanks! Jon B.
    I replied to this once (post 2471), but think it was deleted because I posted the URL of another web site in my message.

I paid $175 shipped from Grubbs on 1/31/05. The price has gone up to about $200+ shipped. Stillen raised their prices.

(HOST/MODERATOR - It would be nice to be alerted when a post is deleted, so we know and know why. Just deleting it doesn't keep me from doing the same thing if I don't know why you deleted it in the first place.)
    A strut bar is a basically piece of metal that links the front strut towers together. It has greatly improved the ride quality and reduced the impact of bumps. I noticed it immediately when I drove out my driveway and dropped down onto the road. Before it felt like I was dropping a foot and now it feels like a few inches.

A dealer could install it, but that would be a waste of money. It took me 20 minutes to install it with a socket set and large allen wrench (you could substitute pliers or vice grips here). You take off six nuts, drop on the mounting brackets, fit the bar between the brackets and install the bolts, tighten the brackets, tighten the bolts on the bar, and you are done. There are pictures that come with the bar that show everything. I am not much of a mechanic and still managed to do it right.
  • cppcpp Posts: 36
    I feel your pain. Some of the rear-facing seats can totally rule out certain cars, and the FX isn't the best in that regard. The rear surface of the front seatbacks is concave, which gives surprising knee room for rear-seat passengers. However, at shoulder height the seat curves back, which means there's not much room for a rear-facing seat. That being said, we found a Peg Perego seat/stroller combo that left enough room for my wife (5'5") to sit comfortably. At 6'3", I didn't spend much time in the passenger seat...
    Another issue we found was that the LATCH anchors were too high for the rear-facing seat. When I tightened the tethers, it would still allow the base to pivot back against the seat back rather than securing it to the seat bottom cushion. With the child seat itself installed, I could get it fairly stable by reclining the seat and cinching down on the straps, but then the seat wouldn't pop in and out of the base. Tried several different seats, and never did find one that really satisifed me. Finally bought the Perego, and made a wedge-shaped plywood insert that elevated the seat base and let it sit further back, which helped immensely. Snugkids is a nice idea, but I didn't really find much correlation to reality.

I'm a pretty big fan of the FX, but don't rule out the G35 just yet. We tried lots of seats when our oldest was born, and found a rear-facing seat with a very small base that worked in our M3 convertible (previous generation, so even less room than current). Again, the passenger seat had to be scooted up quite a bit, but my wife was still comfortable. We shopped at Babies R Us, and they let me take seats out in the parking lot and try them out. It's alittle different for you since you're still deciding on a car. A pitstop at B-R-Us might not be the car salesman's ideal test drive, but hey, a sale's a sale...