Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• ryanm4ryanm4 Posts: 7
    I just received a letter from the dealer where I purchased my '04 FX35. It explained that they are in need to used FXs and noted that with the potential trade-in allowances and factory incentives I could basically trade-up for no out-of-pocket $.

I'm sure this is a sales ploy, but has anyone else received anything like this?
    I'm curious if there actually is a shortage of used FXs in the market.
    Which I assume would help them hold their value; a good thing for us!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,872
    Subaru owners tend to get those letters a lot. It's a sales pitch.

Sounds like it may be working. :-) Have fun shopping!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dantedante Posts: 92
    I just got back from my Infiniti dealer, was testing an M35x for a client who needs a new company car. The dealer told me that he does not expect the 2006 FXs in until February which means that 2005s and used ones are in high demand... so, could be true? Jon B.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    It is likely that they have a glut of 2005s in their inventory that they need to clear out. With the high cost of fuel, the demand for the FX has likely gone downhill. I think the delay in launching the 2006 model is because there are too many 2005s unsold.
  • I have the "cargo area protector" that came with my FX35, but I'm looking for a good cover for the back when I transport my muddy/sandy dog. I've seen some cool ones from Reargear.net and Canvas Back, but they don't make them for the FX. Has anyone found a good one that covers the sides of the cargo area and seatback to keep hair and slobber off my new vehicle?

BTW- If a lot of us request the FX pattern at the Reargear.net site, they might start making it. :shades:

Thanks for any suggestions on where I can find this needed accessory.

Oh, and my wife and I love love love our new Infinity. We traded in our BMW 330CI coupe because we're having a baby in January and we just couldn't make the switch to an SUV that didn't include the sporty ride. The RX was just too bland for us and the X5 didn't have room in the back for the dog. :D
  • nmp,

My thoughts are very similar to yours (re..V6 vs. V8, Toureg, etc..). We switched from a BMW Coupe which, I think, is why we took to the car so well. We're almost through the break-in period so I'm looking forward to giving it some gas soon!! :D
  • nmpnmp Posts: 19
    Congratulations on purchasing your FX. I am taking my wife for a test drive next week. We have two kids (6 and 2) so we won't outgrow the FX for a few years. I really would like to get a 2006 as I like the rosewood option and the standard back-up camera (a must for downtown Chicago parallel parking). However, the financing deals are attractive for the 2005's....I'll see how low the dealers will go.

In the meantime, be patient during break-in :-)
  • dimakdimak Posts: 1
    because you never drove rear wheel drive car before... fx35 has rear wheel drive - that's why the pads on rear wheels go away faster.
    "60 and 90 percent of a vehicle's stopping power comes from the front wheels"

That's for any car (unless hybrids do something different with their regenerative braking systems), according to one of our Tech Center articles.

I don't understand why the FX would be any different, especially in view of the bad rear shocks and bias switch comments as possible causes?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• cppcpp Posts: 36
    Steve, that was a very polite and subtle reply, and a great example of why your presence is always appreciated...

dimak, kudos for not letting a total lack of knowledge and/or understanding get in the way of responding to a 5 month old post.

Just to reassure those few folks out there who may not have immediately thrown the BS flag, having a rear-drive car is no reason to expect the rear pads to wear out significantly quicker than the fronts.

For the record, my OEM pads survived somewhere in the neighborhood of 30,000 miles, and exhibited about equal wear front and rear - probably around half pad thickness left (before a day on track, but that's a different issue...)
    I wouldn't think there would be much support for replacing pads under warranty at 29k unless you could demonstrate that something was clearly malfunctioning.
    Some possible explanations that spring to mind:
    - Front brakes may need to be bled. If they've got air in the lines, the rears could be doing the brunt of the stopping work. Since the rear pads and rotors are smaller than the fronts, they would wear very quickly if they didn't have any help.
    - If you're using the traction/stability control a lot (either by driving in slippery conditions or really pushing it on pavement), the brakes could be seeing heavy use just to keep everything pointing the right way.
    - This one's a little more speculative, but could it be from braking too lightly? I would assume the front/rear brakes are sized to see approximately equal wear under moderate braking, with a fair amount of weight transfer, so the fronts see the 60-90% of the work as referenced by Steve. If you're "riding" the brakes, all four would see approximately equal load. The fronts are much larger and better able to dissipate heat, so the rears would probably wear faster. I'd be interested in opinions on this one (preferably from someone who knows a bit more than me, and hopefully more substantive than "You've never driven a car with an orange interior before - orange interiors wear out rear brakes.")
  • nmpnmp Posts: 19
    ...Just to be contrarian.... While most cars do rely heavily on the fronts, more than a few don't. This was a surprise to me. For example, front-wheel drive (*wink*) VW Passats (and other models derived on that platform from VW, Audi, Skoda etc) proportion most of the braking to go to the REAR discs. The rear brakes thus wear out faster than the front. Check out Passat message boards...when told that our rear brakes needed changing, we all had that "but I thought the front brakes did all the work" look. It isn't a dealer scam either...I had this confirmed by reliable independent shops who also added some other german approportion their braking force preferrably to the rear discs. I actually called VW headquarters...which surprisingly called me back confirming this.

...Not sure why they did this...and not sure if the increase in electronic brake force distribution system will change or continue this "design" feature.
    Now that you mention it, my '89 Voyager minivan had some kind of brake load sensor system hanging underneath the van (I discovered this when I busted it on a fire road to the tune of $200).

FWD minivans are notorious for relying mostly on the front brakes, and I figured that Plymouth was trying to get a few thousand miles out of the front brakes that way but I think really it was a safety thing to keep the rear end from swinging around in a panic stop. My friend at Midas who fixed it had never seen one before.

In 90,000 miles, I never replaced the rear brakes on that van, and I haven't done the rears on my current van which has 105,000 miles on it. But all were/are drums on the rear wheels.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Lexus has something like a brake proportioning valve. But I still bet more than half the braking is from the front brakes. Sounds like a good weekend project for some owner to figure out. ;)

Steve, Host

• JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    I'm nearly at 45,000 miles on my FX45, and still on the original pads. They still feel good, stop well and no squeaks. I'm going to have them checked on my next service appointment.
  • its brand new (2000 miles) but it started pretty much right away, they dont squeel all the time just random times. anyone else expeirence this?
  • I have been trying to find winter tires with no luck. I switcehd to Toyo Proxes ALL SEASON but have not tried them yet. I heard that thre are some winter tires that are 10mm to narrow but they still work okay. Pirelli P Zero Nero anda few others.

The dealer has had no better luck.
  • Did you have the tire pressure sensors? Does anyone know what happens with smaller rims and , as a result,no sensors? I heard one person say you get a constant Low Pressure indication and someone else said you just get a blank reading on the indicator screen?

Love my FX 45 but my wife's Concorde with front wheel drive, traction control and "normal" ALL SEASONS is my chocie in the snow. How can INFINIT show those wretched commercials with FX's and G35's runnning through the snow?? (Actually, the G35's smaller tires are better in the snow than the $10K more expensive FX 45!!!!) :mad:
  • ray18ray18 Posts: 5
    What year FX45 do you have?
    Didn't they improve the handling in the Snow with the '04 model?
    thanks,
    Ray
    No I do not have the tire pressure sensors - mine is an '03 FX45 with Premium Pkg only. The 18" Blizzaks are fantastic in the snow and with the FX's rear drive bias make driving it in deep new snow a real blast.
  • pscdocpscdoc Posts: 91
    I replaced my factory wheels for some TSW wheels and had to remove the sensors. No problems to report. Only once in awhile (3 times in the last 2 months) the tire low pressure sensor will activate but it goes away. And as stated before the tire pressure reading on the screen just shows blank.
  • My FX 45 is a 2004 model, I took possession in Sping 04 so last winter was my only experience. I had the orignal tires & they were so wide they acted like snowshoes and floated over the snow, gving me little control. I put 20" Toyo Proxes on this summer with an agressive-looking tread but I have not had them in the snow yet. Word on the street is that everyone loves thier FX EXCEPT for the snow.

18" wheels w?Blizzaks would do the job but it seems that no one offers plain steel wheels and I am not in the mmod to spend big bucks on a fancy wheel/tire package.

Anybody hear about using ties a few mm too narrow or maybe a differet profile. I heard from one person that there are 20" snow tires available clsoe to the FX's size and that being a "little" off is not a problem. told me that minor differences are OK
    Although 20" winter tires that will fit may be available - and you will have to look because they are extremely rare - they are going to be very expensive and will probably not be as effective as a smaller diameter size (like 17's or 18's) in a narrower/taller profile. If you live in an area that gets regular snowfalls and icy conditions and are serious about winter traction, I would look for the cheapest alloy wheel that would fit and get the Blizzak's, sized so that your diameter and tire circumference stay very close to stock. Look under the FX35 for wheels as there is a much better selection and and size,offsets etc. are the same. Having a separate wheel/winter tire package will save you lots of money not having to rebalance they twice a year, plus the associated wear and tear of remounting them. You will also preserve your main wheels so that will look nicer during the warm weather months, plus your original tires will last that much longer. But the biggest benefit of all is the peace of mind that comes with superior traction when the weather turns nasty - and it can actually make winter driving fun as opposed to just adding stress.
  • My 2004 FX45 has a brake squeal when backing up. There is a fix now, but it didn't work on mine. Anything new at your end?
  • This is a 2004 FX45 with squealing brakes when backing up. The factory retro-fit which is now available, has not worked. Any news on this out there?
  • mick3mick3 Posts: 7
    Does anyone know any information regaring an update to the FX Navigation DVD? If so, approximate price? Thanks.
  • I received a mailing from Zenrin USA, the maker of the DVD for the nav unit. The newest release is available. I believe the price was $199.
  • Is it better to take today's deal on the FX35 with touring package for $3000 down and $369 a month for a 39 month lease (only 10K miles a year though) or to wait and get the 2006 model that includes Bluetooth and the rear view monitor?

I can't afford the tech package for 2005 but if I purchase the 2006 model the price for the base model will probably be close to the price for this year's model, especially if I wait until October or November of 2006.

Does anybody have a FX35 with the rear view monitor? Is this a useful feature? My wife's car has the rear obstacle detector that beeps when you approach something - this is much more low tech!
  • dantedante Posts: 92
    In light of the significant blind spots on the FX (the price you pay for an awesome design), I recommend strongly that you get the rear view camera. Very cool and essential to avoid accidents. And if you live in the 'burbs and have children running around, absolutely vital. Jon B.
  • I'm getting ready to get a new car in March and the FX is at the top of my list. I had a question on price though. I know that around that time the 2006s will just be out so I'm hoping I can get a great deal on a 2005. Would I be able to find an FX35 AWD w/touring, 39 month lease with 0 down, for under $500/month? I'd rather know if I'm out of the ballpark now before I start shopping in 4 months only to be disappointed then.
  • I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the FX35 was RWD instead of AWD.