Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Esteem Wagon

Comments

• Anyone out there??
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We're here! While you wait here, you could try cross-posting in this discussion: To Fix Up or Trade Up, That is the Question. You'll reach a wider audience that way.
  • Suzuki Esteem 1999 1.8l Wagon . First ABS light was on. Next noise under hood.
    When I have touch actuator module it was very hot. Cost of module about $1200
    I have disconnected electrical cable.Have anybody idea what to do, except to spend
    about $1500 ?. Thanks
  • hetalhetal Posts: 1
    :sick: :blush: :P
  • yorksyorks Posts: 1
    Please help, I have a 99 esteem 1.8 that was throwing codes of P0172 and P1451. We replaced the downstream O2 sensor and cleared the codes. Since then the check engine light has stayed off but it still doesn't idle correctly. The rpm's drop intermitely and come back up to normal and on occasion the engine stalls. When attempting to restart - engine cranks, starts and quites. After several attempts if gas petal is applied when cranking engine starts. The engine stills runs rough intermitely. At times the engine seems ok. When driving during exceleration from a stop throttle seems to have a dead spot where engine seems to not take fuel. If you excelerate more the engine picks up until it reaches this position of excelerator petal, then hesitates again or seems to have dead spot again. If gas petal is held in same position when hestitation starts the engine seems to buck until you excelerate more.
  • radiokenradioken Posts: 8
    Unplug the DRL controller, which is under the dash right behind the hood release, near the underdash fuses. You must then connect the red wire with the black stripe with the violet wire so that the parking brake light is operational.
    The VSS is a violet wire with a yellow stripe, it can be accessed at the VSS, which is on the transaxle right under the shift cable if an automatic. It can also be found at the instrument cluster. The TACH wire is brown and can be found at the engine control module or at the instrument cluster.
    I've replaced mine, they were easy. Here's a torque list: caliper slide pin bolts; 16 lb.-ft., caliper mounting bracket, also wheel lug nuts; 61.5 lb.-ft., brake disk screw; 4 lb.-ft. Be sure to use caliper grease on the slide pins, (under the rubber boots), mine got sticky and warped the rotors. Factory manuals turn up from time to time on Ebay.
    Are your keys copies? If not they may be just plain worn out. I'd try getting a new one made at the dealer from the number on the lock for the ignition switch. A locksmith should also be able to do this. It should be much cheaper than replacing everything. The cheapest fix is to try some graphite (Lock-Ease).
  • cb644cb644 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Esteem GLX wagon with 135,000 miles on it. 6 weeks ago I had a new battery and alternator installed and all was fine until Sunday when I unloaded some dirt from the hatchback. Apparently, when I shut the hatch, the rear dome light came on. The next morning, the car was dead as a doornail - electric locks wouldn't work, couldn't shift, etc. Started right up when I got a jump, let it idle for over a half hour and then drove 6 miles to work. When I came out 4 hours later, it was dead again. Charged over night on a trickle charger, but it was dead again the next morning. Took it back to Pep Boys and they say the battery and alternator are fine, but there is a 5 amp drain when the car is turned off. They pulled all the fuses and couldn't find anything, so they recommend I take it in to the dealer. Anyone have any ideas - I hate to keep dumping $ into it and I've had electrical problems with other cars that were never resolved. Thanks!
  • tony78tony78 Posts: 16
    There are three books available for the 2001 Esteem, volume 1, volume 2 and a wiring diagram manual. The wiring diagram manual covers the years 1998-1999-2000-2001. The Suzuki Esteem service manual vol 1 covers both the 1.6 and 1.8 liter engines, and also covers, chassis,electrical and body. The Suzuki Esteem service manual vol 2 covers both the 1.6 and 1.8 liter engines, vol 2 covers only the engines. The Suzuki part number for vol1 is : 99500-60G20-33E. The Suzuki part number for vol 2 is : 99500-66G20-33E. As you have noticed the part number for vol 1 and vol 2 are the same because these 2 books are only sold as a set. I purchased these manuals new from the dealer. The Suzuki part number for the wiring diagram manual is : 99512-60G60-33E. When i bought my esteem new in 2001 i purchased the manuals at the same time, I paid about 3 bills for all three books
  • tony78tony78 Posts: 16
    1995 Esteem Service Manual # 99500-60G00-33E
    1996 Esteem Supplemental Service Manual # 99501-60G00-33E
    1997 Esteem Supplemental Servive Manual # 99501-60G10-33E
    1998 Esteem Supplemental Service Manual #99501-60G20-33E
    1999/2000 Esteem Service Manual # 99500-60G10-33E
    2001 Esteem Service Manual # 99500-60G20-33E

I hope these Suzuki part numbers help thoe of you looking for service manuals for your car. p.s These books cover both the station wagon and the sedan.
  • howellm54howellm54 Posts: 1
    i need help. my parents purchased a 98 esteem for me about a year ago. just a little over a year ago in fact. i have had issues ever since with the car. it started out with a spark plug issue. i had to replace the plug wires, which wasn't a big deal. then one day, my brakes literally fell off. well the pad did. i didn't even know they were going out. then it started to run really funny. i drove like this for months, not being able to get past 55 in the freeway and such. found out i was only running on 3 cylinders due to the spark plug wire. anyways. a little while back it started to burn through oil like nobodies business. i was having to put 4 quarts in ever 3-4 days. it was getting worse and worse with the engine light coming on and off. so. i had my dad and my bf look at it and they decided that i had finally blown my engine. yay. now i dont havea car until i buy a new engine. my dad is going to replace it for me. i just want to know if any of these things are known issues. i also had an issue with the air filter and used to have to spray a little ether in the engine. i quickly replaced the filter though. i just dont want to put out the money if this is a known issue with the engines in these things. also if anyone knows where i can get a guide or something to replace the engine. my dad has no fXXXing clue what he is doing. i need a reply on this so please message me. theotherprincess_72 on yahoo messenger. :mad:
  • ecorreaecorrea Posts: 1
    My suzuki estem wagan has 109.000 runes gret when cold Lots of power exelent
    acselaration but when it comes to operating tempeture it chokes as if its not geting any air ore Fuel ?
    Paid $100.00 to tell me the computer was bad
    Paid $100.00 to anoter shop to tell me the Ignition coil is difective.
    another $100. to anoter shop fuel pum is defective exept they will not garanty
    any thing after the part is repalaiced
  • I also own a 2001 Esteem Wagon with electrical issues that seem connected to the hatch. Have you had any luck in dealing with your dealership? I seem to be coming across a lot of these instances lately, and am wondering whether or not there should be a recall or some kind of warranty repair offerred. It seems ridiculous for a car only 7 years old to be having this many electrical problems! There is no dealership anywhere near me so I haven't managed to speak with anyone yet.
  • I have a 2001 Suzuki Esteem Wagon / G4 / GLX / 1.8 L. DOHC 16-valve 1-4 engine 4-speed auto trans. Only 85K miles so far!

My service station is nice enough to let me find my own parts.....

My car has an inherent problem w/ it's emissions - the check engine light has been on & off since buying it. Was never an issue until NY State changed it's inspection rules. Anyhow, here in New York we can't pass inspection if the light is on. I have leaned how to fool my car into running a full drive cycle in order to pass prior inspections -- after my station had cleared codes. Thank GOD they don't charge me the $75.00 fee to plug me into the computer every time like some dealerships do!

I now need to pass inspection in Feb., but my check engine light is on again & the code is an oxygen sensor ($213.23 dealer price). My service station advised me that I need the "rear" sensor & to not buy a universal, but an OEM part. Does anyone have the service manual for my car & can you point me in the right direction or tell me what the original part number is?

Thank you for any help -- it will be MOST appreciated! I love my little car & can't afford to buy a new car!

Elizabeth in NY
  • darlaldarlal Posts: 1
    I have the option to buy a used 2002 esteem wagon. Most problems I read about (like electrical, starting etc.) seem to relate to older models. What's the deal with
    2002? Any major problems to be aware of? Is it true that replacement parts are outrageous expensive? Thanks for any input!
  • I don't know if the 2002 has the same problem w/ the check engine light (I think it is just the 2001 cars and not just Suzuki, but other makes too). I just read the entire 176 comments to see if I can find an answer to why Suzuki hasn't done right by us 2001 Esteem owners with the check engine light issue -- there are quite a few postings about this issue. But there are a lot of people very happy w/ their cars too. You might want to read all the comments too before you decide. I will tell you that the replacement parts ARE expensive and not always easy to find. It took me forever to find a spindle last year & now I need an oxygen sensor and a ball joint to pass inspection. The sensor I bought online for $167.00 was wrong so now I have to pay the retail price of over $200.00 and the ball joint I need is part of some whole "arm" assembly that my mechanic said will probably be over $200.00. He suggests I get it fixed, inspected and GET RID OF IT!!! The car has been a good little scooty car & holds a LOT of cargo with the back seats down. It's not a very smooth ride (you can feel the road) and there isn't a lot of room inside which has been a problem for me with two very tall sons! I could overlook a lot if my check engine light hadn't always been an issue. By the way, I've been given two additional gas caps from the orig. dealership and had a very expensive $400+ part (some emissions part -- to get the check engine light off) fixed by Suzuki for free after warranty was up AND they replaced my catalytic converter a couple months ago for free as it had a hole in it, which was just before my car turned over 85K miles.
  • bdebaybdebay Posts: 2
    I have replaced calipers, rotors, pads, rubber hydraulic lines, booster and master cylinder. The front brakes just apply themselves on their own after about 6 to 8 miles of driving. I wear out a pair of pads every 8 months. Early on the dealer said to replace the booster. One time I pulled over and unhooked the vacuum line to the booster and they immediately released. Don't know what else to replace. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • boy I have a 1999 suzuki esteem and it keep cutting off everytime I stop at a light but it start rite up again the mechanic said he doesnt know what it is, i need my car so that my daughter can drive me to chemo anyone have any advice on what it could be, ? god bless : :confuse: