Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sedona problems

Comments

• smulveysmulvey Posts: 139
    It is fun to go to the Korean Kia Website and look at the full array of Kia Inter city Buses , Military Vehicles, Jeeps, Rocket Launchers, Tanks and Armored Personnel Carriers.

It really does make you see that they have been doing this transportation stuff for a very long time.

They even have some appealling motor homes.
  • Does anyone here have or had an oil leak on their 2002 Sedona? I've just got a minor leak right underneath the oil filter. Don't know where it's leaking from, but it doesn't seem like it's from the filter itself. I'm gonna be bring it in to check it out. Hope it's not something major or a manufacture defect.
  • smulveysmulvey Posts: 139
    The oil filter normally leaves a big mess on the frame support directly under it.

there is enough spilled to leak off there for weeks.

the way i have stopped it is i get two good sized tube socks from my rag bag and lay one above and one below the frame rail to catch the oil when the filter spins off.

that way i get less mess.

this seems to work.

otherwise you get drips of teh spilled oil for many days.
  • Just got the Sedona back from her first (and hopefully last) warranty job. Apparently, the front passenger seat switch shorted out, and had to be replaced. Not a bad experience, the dealer had the part within a week, and I would have gotten in for the work sooner if it wasn't for Isabel. Once they had the van, it took only an hour or so before they called to say it was done.
  • We drove our 2002 Sedona for roughly a year and a half (bought in 2001), or 25,000 miles, pretty much trouble free. Initially the windshield had a very large distortion in it and was replaced right away. Then spring 2003 the ac compressor began making loud ticking and squealing noises. A new one was ordered (which took months to come in). During that time I noticed oil spots on the ground. It turned out the head gasket was bad. The dealer replaced it only to have the second gasket leak before they returned it to me. After getting van back we drove it for a while (while waiting for the ac compressor). Recently I noticed oil once again on the ground. The ac compressor finally came in so the dealer addressed both problems. They replaced the ac compressor and asked that I drive the van a few days. They cleaned the motor and wanted to have a better view where the oil leak was coming from. The next day the NEW ac compressor failed and the oil leak was even worse. It turns out that the head is leaking once again. If the heads are bad they will be replaced. If the block is warped then I expect to get a motor replacement. A plug for Kia and the dealer (so far) Both have been very good at honoring the warrantee. The dealer has provided a loaner car without hassle. Let's hope the van can be fixed correctly as we really do like it.
  • Brought the van in on Friday for the checkout and ended up it was just a bad seal on the oil filter that was leaking. They replaced the filter free of charge. At the time when i brought it in, they weren't sure what the problem was and how long it would take, so they were nice enough to give me a loaner for the day. Great people to deal with at Kia in Burnaby.
  • I will be taking my 2002 Sedona in to have them look at the rear hatch rust developing AGAIN around the tailgate chrome bar above the license plate. They repainted the door once, but the rust is beginning to show through in the exact same spots - around the ends of the chrome bar and underneath right above the license plate.

They fixed it once and knew it was their problem - I suspect they are going to do it again for the same reason.

Just as an aside - since I had it repainted I have made a concerted effort not to use that chrome bar to close the tailgate.

This is really my only issue with this van so far. Otherwise it has performed very well.

I would suggest the synthetic oil for future use - I had that placed in there last time and the van is running very very well.
  • At about 4 weeks / 800 miles my Sedona developed a loud squeek. Braking, accelerating, turning corners, or just moving in the seat caused it to complain loudly.
    The dealer serviced the vehicle quickly, agreed the seat was defective, and ended up replacing it after a few hours toying with the old one. The new seat was solid & quiet.

Now at 1100 miles the new seat is making a few much milder noises. We'll probably wait for the 3000 mile oil change to have it looked at.
  • I also had a obnoxiously squeaky seat. I purchased my 2003 EX in June. After the first 100 miles the problem got worst everyday. They tried several times to fix it but eventually replaced the entire seat. The base in which the seat attaches was totally scratched up upon the replacement seat work being completed. I have had several little noise issues and a fuse box cover that refuses to stay on as well as a speed control button that melted when touched by a hand that had sun screen on it. Mechanically, the van has been fine.
  • I have owned a 2003 Sedona since July 2003. It broke down about 100 miles from home. (The dials are started waving and then the van shut off completely). KIA roadside towed to the nearest dealership (another 30 miles farther from my home!). The dealership had the van for 5 days before they called to tell me it was ready. They replaced the 'bad' alternator. I drove 2 hours to pick up the van and after 35 miles of driving experienced the same problem again. KIA roadside wanted to tow me back to the nearest dealership, but I was firm and they agreed to tow me back to the dealership where the vehicle was purchased. The service department there has replaced the battery which they suspect was shorted out somehow. They didn't seem confident that they had found the cause of the problem though. I would be interested in hearing from anyone with similar problems.
  • Did all the dials start waving or just the tachometer? In my case ref post: #285 and #300 just my tachometer started waving. Were you able to start the car back up within a few minutes or was it dead? In my case the car did restart, but died out right away again. Also, did this happen right in the middle of driving, idleing? My car was manufactured in Jan 2003 how about yours?
  • Well, after procrastinating for a while, I have finally taken the Sedona in for the rust repair on either side of the chrome trim above the license plate. I was not too happy about a new vehicle needing paint repair...It really irked me that I would have this problem on a new vehicle...but I did not want to leave it go, especially with winter coming.
       Prior to dropping off the van at the dealer, I decided to take off the plastic "chrome" trim myself just so I could see what was happening underneath that area. To do this you must first remove the inner plastic door trim (upper & lower) and the rear third brake light cover. This enables access to the 2 ea. nuts that hold the chrome trim unit to the hatch (there are also 2 ea. bolts that are on the outside of the hatch.
       The problem, at least in my case, was that the trim was not smoothly finished along the side edges where it came in contact with the hatch...it was quite jagged and just digging into the paint and wore through to the bare steel of the hatch. Simply "touching up" the rusted area without addressing the trim piece itself will NOT solve the problem! I spoke to the body shop about my findings (the dealer does not do their own painting) and they ended up preparing, priming and painting the area and also smoothing out the edges of the trim (by grinding or filing) and also adding a thin piece of rubber cushioning tape prior to re-installing the trim.
       The hatch looks great and the trim is not in direct contact with the hatch now. This is critical - and may be why the repair of bnhbucks hatch (post # 339) did not last.
       I also had a slight area around the front grill that need a slight touch up...the chrome trim had rubbed a small area of paint off on either side ...but no rust had occurred there.
       Kia knows that the hatch trim had a flawed design for the '02 Sedona...I say this beause I have studied the '03 Hatch trim and discovered that the trim now "flares out" on each end...preventing it from coming into contact with the hatch itself!
       Other than this, I love the van! I just took a trip to Virginia beach last weekend (about 525 mi. round trip) and the van was running great! Now if I could just find those "boogie boards" that fell off the roof rack...he he! just kidding!
    MVF
  • tko11tko11 Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone,

I have a very new Kia Sedona LX 2003 model (began leasing in June 2003) that started to develop a problem (or at least revealed itself) at approximately 3000kms. If the van sits for more than a day without running the battery drains to the point where the electric key won't even open the door and roadside assistance is needed. This has occurred 4 times already and the van has been brought in for servicing to attempt to diagnose the problem but without any success. It is currently in the service center now and has been for the last two days. The battery has been replaced once already the last time we went it for service. There is nothing on inside the vehicle (at least that we can control) that would drain the battery like this. If we start the van every day the problem disappears which is the way we drove it up until 3000kms when the problem first revealed itself. It may have been there the whole time but with the kids off during the summer and with the van constantly shuffling them around it never set for more than 24 hours.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Oh we also suffer the noisy seat problem that others have complained about in this forum.

So far this has been an absolute nightmare and although we like the drive, the service and the van we totally regret having leased a Kia. Lesson learned. Now if we can only find a way to get out of the lease...

Be interested in any comments/suggestions/experiences/recommendations.

Thanks.
  • Going off memory here, but it seems that some of the 2002s had a faulty lumbar switch that would not turn off completely and, over 2 or 3 days of non-use, would drain the battery totally. Daily use hid the problem because it would recharge the battery just enough to keep the car operational.
  • tko11tko11 Posts: 2
    Sorry, it is an 2003 Sedona EX model with DVD player. They have already replaced the lumbar switch which they also felt might be the cause of the problem.

What is interesting though is that after replacing the lumbar switch the driver's seat seemed to be much farther back than it is now. Nor can it be adjusted backwards any farther either. I don't know --- grasping at straws now.

I delivered it to the Kia garage on Wednesday afternoon. They charged it up on Wednesday. Verified everything was shut off that could drain the battery. Come Friday morning (this morning) totally dead. They think it might be an alternator related problem now (not that they know just the next best thing to check) which means, since they don't keep the part in stock, it will be another week before I see my van again.

5 times needed roadside assistance and it has spent as much time off the road in the last month as it has on it. I can't wait to fill out the 6-month customer satisfaction survey.

Will try and keep everyone updated.
  • Is that a built in entertainment system from Kia? Or is it aftermarket?

We use a plug in Toshiba 9" TV/DVD, and have had no problems with it. Of course, we do make sure to unplug it whenever the van's not in use.
  • drclmcdrclmc Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem recently with my 03 EX. After a few days with it the dealer did a service bulletin that involved changing the alternator with one with a smaller pulley on it to speed it up. The tech said that if you spend a lot of time idling that there isn't enough speed on the alternator to fully recharge the battery. Just prior to the dead batteries I had been stuck in slow moving traffic trying to get to or from work. The service bulletin also required a reprogram of the computer increase the idle speed. After a week with similar highway parking lot driving (rather, waiting) no problems yet.
  • Minivanfrank - thanks for the update about the rust problem. I will take it in to the dealer for their consideration as they fix this a second time. I hope they get it right now. you're comments have been a help to me.
  • Bob...no problem! I hope that they modify (or replace) the "chrome" trim this time! You should not have to worry about using that area to close the rear hatch. Let us all know of your result. I suggest that anyone who owns an '02 Sedona to closely look at that area of the hatch to see what kind of conditions are present. This is not the kind of condition that should be left alone.
    Frank
  • I have a '03 LX and I noticed that the front grill has rubbed the paint off of the hood around it....Thanks to this group I noticed this before the rust started.....Also, has anyone had any wind noise problems? Our driver's window whistles constantly and the dealer has not been able to fix it yet.....Other than that, the van has been great.....
This discussion has been closed.