Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sedona problems

Comments

• I am having a similar issue and just today dropped my 2003 sedona off at the dealer because the light came on again - it was just in for the same reason 2 weeks ago. They had another sedona in the shop for the exact same issue (also that person's second time around with this) - The mechanic said that they are just now finally getting Kia to acknowledge a faulty part. Seems this is all related to an evaporation canister valve (or something like that) - somehow charcoal deposits build up and break loose inside the system and get up underneath the valve causing it to fail. My mechanic is changing out the entire canister this time (last time he just replaced the valve) - anyway, I suspect there may be a recall in the coming months and - in any case - this is a warrantied item so, aside from massive aggravation, it hasn't cost me anything.

Speaking recalls - Everyone - please be sure to periodically check http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov for current or pending recalls. This issue with the evap valve made me go check and I discovered that there is a recall on my van for a throttle cable that can get twisted and stuck in accelerated position and cause a crash. The info there states that Kia will likely issue the full recall at end of Feb (how they can wait that long when they now there's a problem and people are out driving around in them is beyond me....)

Anyway - please look up your make and model, you never know what you'll find!
  • craigmricraigmri Posts: 243
    Did the Nhtsa search and came up with two issues for the 2003 model but none for the 2004:

Make : KIA Model : SEDONA Year : 2003

Manufacturer : KIA MOTORS AMERICA, INC.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V158000 Recall Date : APR 23, 2003

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, AIR:ANTILOCK:CONTROL UNIT/MODULE

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 3375

Summary:

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THERE WAS A PROGRAMMING ERROR IN THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS) ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE LOGIC. THE PROGRAMMING ERROR COULD CAUSE REDUCED BRAKING FORCE AT SPEEDS BELOW 25 MPH, WHICH COULD RESULT IN INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES.

Consequence:

SUCH INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE CONTROL MODULE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MAY 19, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT KIA AT 1-800-333-4542.

Notes:

KIA RECALL NO. SC032. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Make : KIA Model : SEDONA Year : 2003

Manufacturer : KIA MOTORS AMERICA, INC.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V013000 Recall Date : JAN 17, 2005

Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 89238

Summary:

ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, DURING ASSEMBLY, THE THROTTLE CABLE WOULD TWIST ITSELF OUT OF POSITION.

Consequence:

THIS CAN PERMIT THE CABLE TO BE HUNG UP, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE THROTTLE CABLE . VEHICLES PRODUCED FROM MARCH 20, 2001 THROUGH NOVEMBER 7, 2001 WILL HAVE A GUIDE CLIP INSTALLED ON THE THROTTLE BODY ASSEMBLY IN ORDER TO ENSURE THAT THE TENSION FORCE CABLE DOES NOT MOVE OUT OF POSITION. VEHICLES MANUFACTURED BEGINNING ON NOVEMBER 8, 2001, ALREADY HAVE THE EXTENDED GUIDE, WHICH ACCOMPLISHES THE SAME OBJECTIVE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN AT THE END OF FEBRUARY 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT KIA AT 1-800-333-4542.

Notes:

RECALL NO. SC-042. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT1-888-327-4236.
  • I own a 2003 Kia Sedona. Left door lock is not opening from outside. Kia dealer said they could replace the lockset under warranty (as I expected) but then I realized that I would have two different keys for this vehicle(one for the door and the other for the rest locks on vehicle). Then he said they could actually fix it but that case I have to pay 50 some dollars. I don't know why it's not covered and what to choose. I welcome any advice.
  • RE: "The front suspension makes a "tock tock" sound when going over undulations in the road. Not when I do over real bumps, but something like a wave in the pavement. The car is fine over large bumps, handles well and feels tight otherwise. "

I have the same issue in my 04. only 19000kms on it. The only way that I can describe the sound is by making the "V" victory sign (peace sign) with my fingers, put the steering wheel in the V and rapidly drum. Sounds weird, but it replicates the sound almost exactly.

Anyway, I had the dealership look at it. They replaced the linkages in the front, but this did nothing. It only happens between 0-60 kph, after that, it smooths out.

I am going back to the dealership this week to get another look at it. Otherwise, loving the van.
  • Very interesting the way you describe the problem 9663. I have had the same issue since day one. What is most interesting is that the service manager at my dealer replicated the sound EXCATLY the way you described - two fingers on the steering wheel in a drumming manner. He said the majority of the Sedona's have made this sound since their introduction in 2002 and Kia has been unable to correct the problem.

In any event Kia has authorized him to replace the upper hardware in the struts. Apparently they do know it's a srut problem. He isn't hopeful that it will fix the noise though. It's not really the noise that concerns me but more the safety issue. Something is definitely loose and at times I can feel it in the steering wheel, very slightly.

I also emailed LemonAid about the problem and they acknowledged that is it a known issue. I am getting the work done this Friday and I will keep you posted on then ourcome.

Otherwise love the van. Great highway vehicle where I spend most of my time.
  • Looking for any help at all! In the past two months, we've had times where we have lost all power in our 2002 Sedona EX. Yesterday my wife and daughter were in the van and top speed was 5-10MPH, and my wife said it sounded and felt as though it was backfiring. Smoke came from the engine and she made it to a parking lot to have it towed. We took it to our local Kia dealer in Dec. when this originally happened and they said we had "bad gasoline" and could find no problems. And for days/weeks at a time the van runs great. The days where these problems occur are unseasonably warm days for us here in Nebraska in the winter, and we don't know if that's a contributing factor. We had it towed to the dealer yesterday and sure enough they called today and said that they can find no problems. We had a timing belt replaced in the month or so before the problem first surfaced, and now we have had this problem of literally no power/sputtering at least a half a dozen times. I know nothing about cars and it looks like there's plenty o' knowledgable folks in this forum. Didn't know if anyone has had similar problems but we're very frustrated with our dealer's inability to ID and rectify the problem, and at 78,000 miles they're telling us that all the work is non-warranty to boot......
  • Brianh1: Your problem sounds familiar with mine. My 02 Sedona started backfiring and jerking while driving. It went away for a week then came back hard. Took it to the dealer since the SEL (Service Engine Light) was on and it turned out to be a faulty coil pack on the cylinder. One coil pack per cylinder.

Is your SEL light on? Have you replaced the spark plug and wires? I would still have dealer scan codes to see if any were set. If no codes were set and still orginal plugs then I would suggest doing a tune up.

If you purchased your van new then it should be under the 10yr/100,000mi warranty, but if you purchased used then they reduce the warranty to 6/60,000.

Post what you find out.
  • Hi!

Nice comfortable vehicle with all the extras, but I guess you get what you pay for!

We have been fighting with our Kia dealer (Donnelly Kia in Ottawa, ON). Back in 2003 our windshield cracked (without being hit by anything), like many other 2002 Sedonas with the automatic wipers. We brought it in, in Oct 2003, they ordered the windshield but we needed the car so they said they would call when it was in. My husband had found many others with the same problem on this site (apparently thinner glass was originally installed on that model & they were replacing it with thicker glass once they cracked) and they were going to replace it under warranty. Well, we didn't get around to getting right back when they called to say the windshield was in - we didn't have another reliable vehicle, my husband needed the van to go to work & I was busy with the farm, etc, then the dealership moved to a further location. We finally got in last month & now they won't replace it, calling it a "stone chip". Well, there is a small chip but from the other accounts it sounds like this is what happens when the glass buckles. They offered to replace it "at cost" ($565 + tax). Yeah right!

They also charged us for flushing the transmission as we had not done so according to the "instructions." The van had been sluggish going to 2nd gear, revving too high. Mileage under 70,000 km. They wouldn't cover it.

We've had the rust repaired & repainted near the licence plate twice.

My mom also bought one (2003 or 2004) & has not been happy with the service.

Jennifer
  • Hi Jennifer,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your Kia dealer. We use Street Kia in Smiths Falls for any of the warranty work we had done, and we were happy with their service. Have you tried a different Kia dealer?

Brian
  • How many miles did you have on your van. The service dept. was telling me I need new rotors, pulsating brakes, but they were going to charge me??
  • Grumpy,
    I took it to the Dealership.
    They replaced the front right shocks and again replaced the links.
    It is MUCH better now, still a little bit of noise, but way better than before.

I drive my wife crazy now with all the "hear that?" So I'll be able to stop that for a while.

Good luck.
  • This is my first posting on this site...I've been lucky w/my Sedona (51k) so far..Picked her up on Jan 02 w/4k on the meter...Since it was a "Program Special" (Demo), Kia agreed to begin the warranty at that time w/0 miles...We ad a bad brake lite switch, 3 radios...Also had a fender bender with her and she still ran like new...Now I have to take her in for a leak in the Power Steering system and a weird noise around the right front tire you begin to hear it when the van is at 10-15 mph and increases w/speed though it was tire noise, but not the case...Hopefully it's still under warranty...Any ideas?
  • I think she had about 20K on it. The problem was a caliper sticking. The dealer put on a new caliper and new brakes under warranty.
  • Hey anyone here know if the tail lights for the 02 and 03 Sedonas are interchangeable?...Have an 02 and would love to have the 03 tails on her.
  • I have the same problem. they replaced the struts and towers a few times already and the problem always comes back. the kia rep said they will not try to fix it again and my warranty is about tom run out. I think a class action suit is in order here
  • The dealer replaced the hardware from the top of the struts up. Did nothing. They will now be replacing the struts next week. I'll post the results.
  • http://www.lemonaidcars.com/ would be very interested to hear about this. I have written to them and they have acknowledged it is a known problem. I suspect they are waiting for critical mass before taking action.
  • 2003 ex seats won't release, been to dealer twice, best explanation give was second floor mat had to be under rollers to act as fulcrum.tried inplace & without mat neither worked any ideas ??
    going back for 3rd time when cable for 2nd row seat is to be installed.answere to followup not a happy camper
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    The 2nd and 3rd row seats can be tough to remove. I've had this problem in our 2002 EX and my parents have had the same problem in their 2003 EX, but eventually the seats have always popped out.

Sometimes, I find that it helps to try pushing the seat down into place more, then try to pull the strap to remove the seat. It's almost like the seat is partially out but the lever can't do its job unless the seat is completely latched in. Not sure if that makes any sense.
  • magicmagic Posts: 6
    Upon reading problems with Odyssey and Sienna, I find alot of transmission problems...Anyone having problems with their transmission and does anyone know if it would be the same trans in the 2006, that the 2005 has.
  • craigmricraigmri Posts: 243
    Magic,

Although I have heard of a rare occurance when a Sedona transmission gets replaced, It is the exception not the rule. The powertrain in the Sedona is pure Hyundai from the XG350 and its extremely reliable. They use this engine in the Hyundai Santa fe(3.5L version) as well as the Kia Amanti.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • wastrelwastrel Posts: 10
    Thank you have tried that. The only way i get them to release is to tip them forward then push the back roller forward while pulling the strap with the other hand. Obviously this is very awkward & i don't want to make a habit of it
    sorry to here you have to roll your kias past the curb to obtain roadside assistance:but we up here in the north don't.2003 warranty book states clearly; from site of breakdown: & drivesways are not in the exclusion list.matter of fact had mine towed jan 19 05 (throttle cable stuck).
    2003 warranty booklet states that failure to comply with maintenance schedules voids agreement. i fully agree any sparkplug should get approximately twice the recommended 30k miles. anyone had any feed back or warnings ??

dave
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Well, the 2002-2005 Sedona transmission is already a 5-speed unit, so that aspect probably won't change. But with the new engine providign 240+ horsepower and 250+ lb-ft torque, I wonder if the current transmission can handle those numbers. Maybe it can, since those numbers are really only 10-20% higher than the current Sedona engine - it's not like we are talking about a 50% jump.
  • mine was a bad catalytic converter...they kept replacing one on one side of the van (the van has two)...the mechanic figured out that the computer code guide was "backward"...it was actually the ther convertor...they replaced it and I haven't had a check engine light since...of course, they may have disconnected the light :)
  • Good Evening everyone! I have a 2002 Sedona EX, we just returned home from shoppong an noticed that the passenger side sliding door will not latch. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, did you fix it or did the dealer repair it? I tried to do asearch on sliding door, and got hundreds of messages regarding power sliding doors, please forgive me if a similar message has been submitted before...thanks!
  • laydewlflaydewlf Posts: 3
    We bought our Sedona in 2002. Loved it except for gas mileage and lack of enough storage behind last row of seats. Winter 2003 while defrosting windshield, hear a pop and see that the windshield had cracked. Great. Had surgery that week, so was unable to get it tended to for a while.

All along, the right side sliding door had a tendency to get caught and be hard to open or close. Didn't worry too much about it, though it was annoying.

This past month (feb/march)the airbag light came on, the right rear strut started knocking and the reverse gear was slipping - could not back up an incline. Ok, time to go to the dealership.

Needs new transmission (takes 1 1/2 weeks to get that in and no loaner car). sliding door needs a new part, right strut needs to be replaced on it, and driver's seatbelt has to be replaced. It wasn't showing the computer that it was engaged so the airbag light would stay on. All of this and we only have 37000 miles on it.

They are taking care of everything, though they are debating about the windshield -- havent heard anything about that yet, but everything else is on warranty. Which is great.. thats why we bought new... but I just wouldn't think that a 3 year old vehicle with 37000 miles on it should have so many problems. Kind of leary of kia now. hope others are not having as much trouble. thanks.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Posts: 178
    You bought a first model year vehicle. These types of things are common on first model year vehicles no matter what the brand. The good news is Kia is standing behind the vehicle and taking care of the problems.

You are usually better buying a vehicle that is several model years old so all of the kinks have been worked out. We bought an '04 Sedona, hoping most of the early bugs are gone, but even if there is a problem I am confident Kia will take care of it which gives me peace of mind.

Chad
  • alamid69alamid69 Posts: 59
    I also have an '02 model and had 2 occurrences of windshield cracking. Both times were replaced by 2 different dealers (1st one was in Reading, PA. 2nd one in Wexford, PA) without any questions. They call it stress crack. Hope this helps.

Bino Rocha
This discussion has been closed.