Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sedona problems

Comments

• kiatechkiatech Posts: 38
    Most likely it is the result of the alt going to discharge. But the alt itself my not the be cause. The 120 amp fuse,the main fuse,if the cables to it are not tight,it will go to discharge resulting in you complaint,most likely. If all the circuits are good,i.e. wiring then most likely the alt is the issue and can be replaced under warranty provided its has less that 60K on it. If not,you will have to flip the bill.

With the sumer months coming on this is when the owners of the vans that I outlined in a previous comment will see the issue. Even if you dont and your fall under the umbrella of the time frame I gave for alt update,use the complaint that I stated and you should be able to get it replaced under warranty. Remember if you dont make the complaint about dimming lights,or as the above person mentioned,alt and brake light coming on,then the alt will not be replaced. You have to make the complaint.

Sincerely
    Kiatech
  • jaywolfjaywolf Posts: 11
    Spectraman,
    Sorry that I took so long to respond to you, you could say I'm acting like Kia. You see, I was a little offended that you would doubt my claim. Even though it happened 3 weeks ago... it is still very fresh in mine and my two young children's minds. Not only was I a witness to the destruction of my vehicle along with thousands of dollars worth of property, but so were my three and six year olds along with about 20 other small children from the McDonalds play room. That is until a McDonald's employee evacuated the play room for fear of my Sedona exploding and thus shattering the glass of the play room. Fortunately for McDonald's the only glass shattered was from my 03 Sedona Ex. As to posting photos I most likely will in the very near future, but I warn you.... that they are not only informative, they are disturbing. Any family who owns a Sedona remember... this happened while the car was parked with no keys in it. Also, it has happened to someone else whose Sedona was parked in the garage in the middle of the night. Sedona drivers or should I say Sedona parkers beware. Hey Moms please think twice before you leaveyour kids in the car. I know most moms have strapped their kids in the car seat and started down the road only to remember that they forgot something in the house. You go back home turn the car off, leave the kids in the car, run into the house to retrieve the forgotten item. Please remember that it only took minutes to engulf my car ( and lets not forget the toxic smoke that also poured from the Sedona!) Also this car had twenty one thousand miles on it and was just inspected two months before hand. No fore warning of any problems and it ran perfectly.
  • pbudpbud Posts: 2
    The radio/AC mount on my 2003 Kia Sedona gets extremely hot. My first trip to service proved futile because the problem could not be reproduced although the service tech had seen this problem. He indicated that a part corrected the problem. My second trip to service again proved futile as the service tech said that it occurs when the radio is playing because the mount lacks insulation. It occurs when the radio is on or off. The mount feels as if the sun has been beating on it for hours and hours.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, were and how was it corrected?

Many thanks,

Pat
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    "Sedona Vans built BEFORE 2/28/03 have an updated alternator issued to improve charging system performance at idle. It IS NOT nor will it be considered a recall. Its not an safety issue."

kiatech,

I've read your post a few times but am still confused about which Sedona build dates qualify for the new alternator. Ours is a 2002 EX bought in Feb 2002. Don't recall the exact build date but it is obviously before 2/28/03.

Which Sedonas are eligible to have a new alternator installed-- those built BEFORE 2/28/03, or those built AFTER?

I can't tell if your comment means that the pre-2/28/03 Sedonas already have the improved alternator (i.e. NOT eligible for replacement), or if they have an alternator that is too powerful/aggressive and drains the battery too quickly (i.e. eligible for replacement).
    what do you mean by the 'mount?' Can you describe where that is?

Our 2002 EX's stereo front faceplate becomes very warm after 1-2 hours continuous use. I have seen similar behavior before on other vehicles and I do not consider it a big cause for concern. Your situation may be something totally different, though. Our stereo definitely cools down when not in use.
  • pbudpbud Posts: 2
    The mount is the faceplate that lays on top of the lighter, knobs for the AC and heat, and the radio.

The mount gets extremely hot, not just warm. In fact, the Kia tech mentioned that the mount is now a faded black color where it gets hot.

Thanks
  • caldemcaldem Posts: 1
    Our Kia Sedona also recently caught on fire spontaneously. The keys were out and the engine started on its own! The car ignited in front of our 7 year olds school and began while my wife and daughter were still in the car. Luckily they got out, but they inhaled some of the toxic fumes. The fire department had to put the fire out. There were many children around when this happened and many people could have been hurt. The dealer has told us this is an insurance issue and not their responsibility. Jaywolf please contact me as many of the details are similar. caldem@pol.net
    This is getting more and more disturbing.

How many different Town Hall members have reported a fire in their Sedona? Are we up to 3 or 4? I suppose I could search through the thread and check...
  • jaywolfjaywolf Posts: 11
    When did your Sedona catch on fire? Did you contact the nhtsa, I'm sure they are going to be very interested in hearing from you. They're looking to open an active investigation on the Sedona fires.
  • spectramanspectraman Posts: 255
    JW:

Under the circumstances, I understand your frustration.

My earlier post suggesting a link to some photos and other supporting documentation only had two intended goals:

1. To ferret out any possible anti-KIA trolling (which sad to say DOES happen in the anonymous world of the Internet for ALL car makers)

and

2. (and more importantly..... ) To doubly emphasize the possible dangers of a hidden defect in the Sedona model line. Nothing says it like a picture! Your post (along with supporting photos and insurance investigation report) may be the catalyst to alerting others who have experienced this to go to this website and file a formal complaint:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

If an inordinate amount of similar complaints come streaming in, then the NHTSA will be forced to investigate. There's a current recall of nearly a million Ford trucks and SUVs for a similar spontaneous combustion scenario due to a faulty cruise control unit. Check that out here: http://www.ennislaw.com/ford_recall.html

Keep in mind that a good investigative report on the cause of the fire (which I'm sure your insurance company ordered) supporting a defect and not an errant dropped cigarette will be very useful in backing up your complaint.

I'll admit I'm a new supporter of Hyun-KIA, but not to the point of sacrificing people in car fires!

Please keep us posted here on this forum!

Thanks!

-SM
  • jenny93jenny93 Posts: 1
    Hello, new to the site, but I have been reading the posts and have been saying, "yeah, yeah, me too..." Especially for the rust on the tailgate by the license plate. We have a 2002 Sedona with 38000 miles and noticed the rusting about a month ago. We took it into the dealer to have the serpentine belt changed and pointed the rust out to them. They said we had to contact Kia directly. Haven't done that yet.
    We also had a few electrical problems and I am wondering if it is the alternator problem that has been discussed.
    Contact Kia directly?! That's not how vehicle warranties work. What a load of b.s. It is the dealer's job to fix the problems. That is one reason why the dealer exists.

What exactly did they say that you need to tell Kia? Is the dealer claiming that this is not covered under warranty? I''m pretty sure there was a TSB about this problem and dealers should be well aware of it.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Posts: 178
    Well, I've heard enough. One random fire could be passed off as a freak occurrence, however multiple fires on this list of only a small number of Sedona owners is telling. I can't believe Kia hasn't already issued a recall for this. Is it going to take a tragedy before this is taken seriously? Kia recently issued a recall on some rear axle problem that no one has mentioned as having on this list. Why aren't they dealing with what seems to be a much more serious, and seemingly common problem? Are they afraid to admit fault?

I refuse to put my family at risk with something that seems Kia could easily fix by recalling the vans and replacing the electronic component that is causing these fires. Because of these concerns I am selling my '04 Sedona after only 12,000 trouble free miles.

Part of my decision is based on 5 little crosses I see on the side of the road every morning on my way to work. A few years ago a different brand minivan burned there and 5 kids didn't make it out. My family will not befall the same fate if I have anything to say about it.
    I understand your concern. I probably should be more concerned than I am so far. But what's to say the replacement for your Sedona won't be a fire risk, either?
    JW:

If you need some cheap (ie: free) and easy webhosting for your Sedona fire pictures, go to: http://www.freeservers.com .

I'm sure that many of us on here would appreciate seeing them.

Btw, has your insurance company issued a report yet on the cause? One other person's insurance said that a fire started behind the steering wheel in the dashboard.

-SM
  • erikkleinerikklein Posts: 50
    I'm curious about something. This board has been around for almost 4 years and we're just starting to hear about fires now.

Why could that be?

Perhaps because it is only happening on late models??
    Perhaps it only happens after a certain amount of usage (years, mileage)??

Can those who have information about such fires please post details of their vans (LX / EX, Options (ABS, etc) , Model Year, Date of Manufacture, Mileage, Outdoor conditions when fire occurred (hot/cold outside; using heat or A/C), etc.)?

Thanks. I'm a bit worried too.
  • richardsonrichardson Posts: 92
    We have a 04 Sedona Ex with 14000 troublefree miles. Now I am also worried about a fire. I went to the government safety site and could find not one complaint about fires. If these are really happening to Sedona, why isn't anybody reporting them? Jim Richardson
    Jim:

I *was* able to find at least two entries under the 2003 Sedona electrical categories on the NHSTA website. The stories sound like the ones from this website, so I don't think that they represent additional events. It does however seem to lend credence to the submissions on Edmunds as far as them being "real".

It will be interesting to see where all of this heads... if anywhere.

-SM
  • I was wondering if anyone had any more ideas on the raw gas smell?

See my may post
  • keo829keo829 Posts: 3
    Hello

I have recently found this message board, wanted to know if anyone has heard or had a transmission replaced. I have a 04 sedona w/17000 miles on it and is being replaced today at dealer. My engine was also replaced in Jan/05 at 12000 miles. except for these two MAJOR problems I have no issues with the sedona.
This discussion has been closed.