Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sedona problems

Comments

• arjay1arjay1 Posts: 172
    I have to defend Kia a bit on this one. I did not buy my Sedona thinking that routine maintenance was covered by the warranty and I don't believe Kia ever hinted that it was.
    You keep referring to all these costs on a van that is only 26 months old. But it is 26 months old with almost 100,000 miles on it.
    The average monthly miles driven is 1,300. You are averaging over 3,600 per month. If you use 1,300 miles per month as the average driven, then your van has the wear and use of a van that is 72 months old. I would think that $2692 in maintenance an repairs over 72 months and 93,000 miles is average. When you drive a vehicle 40,000 to 50,000 miles per year, your average monthly repair cost is going to be higher than most. So far you have spent about 2.8 cents per mile on maintenance, again that does not seem to be a bad number.
    It is important to look at the fact that you did not have all of these costs in only 26 months but you incurred the costs in 93,000 miles.
    When the transmission service is done, is the drain plug just removed and the fluid drained and refilled? I have had a truck where you needed to drop the pan and replace the filter inside as well. Is this done on the Sedona or is the fluid just drained through the drain plug?
    What transmission fluid do you use? I don't have my manual with me but the type of fluid listed is not a spec that I have ever seen. It seems to me that it had a "P" in the name but I can't remember. Is the fluid special to the Kia or can you use regular transmission fluid?
    R. J.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Thanks for posting this. I wanted to reply to Sker1's "problems" also but didn't feel like taking the time to write up a very detailed response.
  • navyairnavyair Posts: 202
    BD -Ditto.

Also, why did they replace your hood?

Arjay, it is supposedly special fluid for Kia's. I don't know if Hyundai uses the same stuff. Anyway, Dexron and Mercon aren't supposed to be used in it.

Some dealers have a machine that sucks the fluid out, circulates a cleaner and refills the fluid. Others drop the pan and install a new pan gasket. They did this on mine at 30k service. Believe that is required at every 30k interval. Anyhow, Kiatech can probably better elaborate. Always check for 2-3 days after they do this...I've had two services (non-Kia) on other cars where the pan gasket or torque wasn't right on the bolts, and they leaked. Minor aggravation, but could be serious if fluid drains out.

All- Saw where the throttle cable recall for 03-05 Sedonas made the newspapers today.
  • sker1sker1 Posts: 6
    I have not suggested that routine maintenance be covered by a warranty. I did buy it partly becasue of the 100,000 mile warranty knowing what a warranty would cover and not cover. If you read my first post I tried to explain the major issues I'm having that should be covered. I'm merely pointing out facts that happened to me and what SHOULD have been covered under a warranty. I keep harping on these costs, regardless of time frame and miles driven, because these issues I have should not have happened to a vehicle that was built with quality and high standards. To your point, "your van has the wear and use of a van that is 72 months old". The fact is that it is not a 72 month old car its 26 months old and these issues should not have happened. These are major repairs that I have never experienced with any other vehicle that is put through the same driving conditions. I don't care how fast you get to the 100,000 mile barrier you still should have a warranty that stands up for itself. I'll be glad to make a deal with you and trade you my Kia for yours. lol.....
    Further more I'm not posting here to argue with you or anyone else. Just merely stating facts that are happening to me and to provide information to those that might be experiencing the same issues. Or, for those that are looking for information when making a decision to purchase such a vehicle.
    Great response. I am not here to argue either and was hoping that my response to your original post did not come across as a flame. You could have easily been offended and am glad that you were not.
    I do see your point that you would hope that you get to the 100,000 mile mark without a lot of extra costs as many Honda and Toyota drivers do.
    This is our first Kia and have around 45,000 miles on our 2002 without any issues to date. I am hoping it stays that way since the van is paid for and don't want to make another purchase for many years.
    Maybe you did this and I missed it, but I don't remember seeing a breakdown of the $2,692 in costs -- I believe that was the amount you felt should not have had to come out of your pocket if Kia had stood behind the warranty? Sorry if I am misunderstanding or misremembering (I just made a new word!) your prior post.

Also, I had a recollection that you DID say something along the lines of feeling misled about the 100k warranty and thinking that the routine maintenance should have been covered or should not have been so extensive??? A vehicle owner only needs to prove as much maintenance as his/her dealer requires to be proven. On all our cars, I pick and choose my own maintenance based on what *I* feel is appropriate. I don't do everything specifed in the owners manual because that would be way too costly and unnecessary, plus my vehicle would be in the shop and not available to me, way too often. I've *never* had a problem with a dealer telling me they could not authorize warranty coverage because of insufficient documentation of routine maintenance items on my end.
    Hood was getting rusty around where the chrome grille touched the paint. Supposedly it was 'rusted through' or something, so repairing the existing hood was not an option. Therefore, new hood. The rear decklid looked worse on the surface, but it was repaired rather than replaced. Second time it has been repaired and I'm not convinced they did anything to prevent the problem from occurring again. Oh well.

We paid appx $145 for trans service around 45k miles. I'll have to look up the paperwork and/or ask the dealer next time-- I don't remember if they did a flush or a drain/fill. For that price, I hope I got a flush with some cleaners plus dinner and a movie for two!
    Hopefully my posts don't come across as antagonistic. You should expect good service from your van and if you didn't get it, you have every right to be upset. Seems some (most?) of the blame lies with your local dealer. A decent dealer can make up for many manufacturer-caused problems.

Overall, we are satisfied with our van and expecting several more years of good service from it. Our out of pocket costs so far have been pretty reasonable considering the van is 3.5 years and 53k miles old.
  • sker1sker1 Posts: 6
    Wait till you get to the 80,000 mile mark, its all down hill from there, j/k..lol
    Thanks for the words and thoughts. Just thought I'd express mine and see what came about.
  • spectramanspectraman Posts: 255
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8666762/

DETROIT (Reuters) - Kia Motors Corp. is recalling 118,447 Sedona minivans in the United States because their throttle cables can get stuck, causing the vehicles to maintain speed or accelerate inadvertently, federal safety regulators said on Friday.

-SM
    Thanks for the heads-up. Too bad the article doesn't specify which model years are affected. With 118,000 units, it might be all Sedonas sold in the U.S. so far-- I'm not sure what the annual sales figures have been.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Posts: 559
    Wow! 25 mpg? And in the first month of ownership?
    I'm guessing 25 mpg is much higher than any Sedona owner is getting or should expect.
    Now that you've owned it for 4 months, what is your average mpg?
  • lialitlialit Posts: 2
    This is my first post although I have received alot of helpful information from this website before. To the point I go to the dealership tell them what's wrong and how to fix it. So thanks to all.
    Here is my latest issue. It has been going on for awhile. It happens when I first start my Sedona after it has been sitting for a few hours. For about 1-2 minutes this smell I can only describe like an amonia or vinegar smell comes out of my vents. It is really obnoxious if I have the A/C on when I turn the car on. I have to roll down the windows and air out the car before I put my little ones in there.
    I have had plenty of A/C issues since I got the car including the A/C going out because there was no freon and that strange noise like a airplane taking off when I reached around 40 miles an hour. (that was fixed and was A/C related).

Anyone have any idea what this smell could be. This is my 3rd time taking it in tomorrow for this problem so they haven't a clue. Thanks
  • philbertophilberto Posts: 46
    I just got my new 05 Sedona and with the $12 the dealer put in it looks like I got around 25 MPG or so with a mix of highway and around town. More highway miles though.

I test drove three of these 05 models (all new) and this one had much more of a quick engine response. The first one was sluggish and did not like to respond when pushed a little, the second one was far better but required more pedal push to get on the highway, and the one I decided on was very quick with a light touch. No hesitation at all. A very light touch has me up to speed in good time.

Since I have had it, I filled up and went driving around town. With 137 miles on this tank it looks good so far. I will track the MPG on every tank. Time will tell as it's not even broken-in yet...but what a nice smooth ride! Very quiet too. I barely have to touch the gas and it moves out. Not bad for nearly 5000 lbs. Still, I'm doing a gentle break-in as the manual states. It will get new oil at 2000 and 4000, then at 7500. Take care of it and hopefully it will take care of you. ;)
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Posts: 178
    Lialit,

We get the same smell in our '04 Sedona for the first few minutes after the van is started and the the air conditioning is on. Since this did not start happening until summer was well under way and were were using the air conditioning all of the time I doubt there is a chemical in the A/C system causing this. More than likely the water that the condensor produces is getting caught somewhere in the venting system and mold is growing. I believe it is actually a mold smell we are smelling. I am not sure what to do about it, but I haven't been too concerned since it does seem to go away after a minute or two. Do you live in a humid location? My guess is those folks who live in dry places will not have this problem.

- Chad
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Posts: 559
    (responding to 7/8/03 post)
    Pulling 8200 lbs of van and trailer at 55 to 65 mph in 50% mountains? Yeah, I think 16.8 mpg is more than pretty good. Sounds excellent!
    I got 16.15 average for 1000 miles on recent trip in my 2004 Sedona with 11000 miles on it. 4 people average and not much mountains. Air pressure at 35 lbs. A/C on constantly.
  • lialitlialit Posts: 2
    Yes I am in Florida. And it is exactly that, for about 1 minute after starting the car it smells, then it is fine. I did talk with a mechanic at a dealership far away and he told me he thinks it is mold getting into the air intake. He has had to do several washes with some sort of spray to get rid of that smell on vehicles. If that doesn't work he replaces the entire vaporator.
    Thanks for lyour input.
  • proeskeproeske Posts: 1
    I am in the Air Force and stationed in Turkey. Bought my 2002 Sedona a little over 3 years ago and until this problem had no complaints about the vehicle. About a month ago my alternator went bad. The mechanics on the base did some research and found a service bulletin that basically says I need to get a new updated alternator, new belt and battery heat cover. Because the Kia warranty can only be used in the U.S. I have to pay for all the parts and pay someone here to put it in. Kia consumer assistance gave me the address for Kia Motors America and said after I pay for it all that I can try and write a letter asking for some kind of refund but they really didn't make it sound like I would get any reimbursment. My BIG problem that I am asking for any help or advice on is that along with replacing the alternator something called ECM battery compensation has to be done or the new alternator will most probably fry something. This is something that apparently the Kia dealer in Adana - closest dealer to me - can not do. What this leaves me with is a car that is 3 years old with 40k miles on it that I can't get fixed until I return to the states in 2008. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • bcavenderbcavender Posts: 1
    We love our new 2005 Sedona . It runs perfectly after a couple months of ownership.

However, last night at 5am, the horn just kicks in and started blowing steadily like someone was inside it holding the horn down. It was not the beep-beep-beep like the panic signal....just a steady blast.

Needless to say it scared the bejesus out of my wife, kids and neighbors. I slipped my Smith&Wesson 38 out of the lockbox and did the good guy/bad guy thing out to the car for fear of some crazed druggie might be waiting. But fortunately there was no intruder and unlocking the car and tapping the horn once stopped the commotion. It didn't give any trouble the rest of the night....though my nerves were so jangled worring about someone messing with my family, I didn't sleep a wink.

Nothing else was wrong with the car and the wife drove it today with no problem.

Anybody heard of anything like this?

:surprise:

Bruce
This discussion has been closed.