Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Sedona problems

Comments

• Kia purchasers beware of their worthless warranty !!!

yes, i have heard of Kia doing this to other people as well
  • 5k? What do you mean by that?
    There's no way it will shift 5000 rpm higher at the shift points.
  • Did they hold you responsible for the "severe" service schedule time/mileage intervals?
    And yes, KIA should be ashamed for even allowing a dealer to say it would not be covered, regardless of the final outcome. (I'm guessing you will get it taken care of under warranty. Let us know, ok?)
    Crap like this is a perfect reason for dismally low resale value of KIAs.
  • My '02 Sedona with 27,000 miles just had the "check engine light" appear. Am I correct in assuming that it should be no charge under our warranty for the dealer to analyze this? I did not want to be surprised by a diagnostic charge.
  • I called the dealer and the answer he gave was as follows:

"If the diagnosis determines that a part must be replaced then the diagnostic charge will be covered...if, however, the diagnosis shows that an adjustment is required then a shop diagnostic charge of 1 hour will apply."
  • With the OverDrive Switch off It doesn't shift at 1500 RPMs...When it shifts with the OD off the engine is running at 2000 RPM.... The shift points are 31 and 41 MPH according to the KIA shop manual and the KIA tech showed me and demonstrated that for me... It's when it downshifts at 1500 RPMs that the vibration appears[It can't make up it's mind which gear to be in] ....I just don't agree that I should have to live with that problem by not using OD in the city...I'm sure that they could fix it with a program change of the computer , but are reluctant to do that because they would have to go thru the EPA tests and it would never conform to the MPG numbers that they have now...
  • I decided to go to Autozone and read/clear the code myself. It came up as: p.o. # 456...evap emmision control system leak very small. I interpreted that to be due to a gas cap that probably was not snugged up enough.

I did, however take the van to the dealer for an oil change. While there, I could not resist looking at the '06 Sedonas...WOW!!! I want to trade in the '02 after seeing the new version!!! (although my wife now wants a Sportage instead of a van) :D
  • If a car is being driven in overdrive, it simply means that the output shaft of the motor is turning slower than the output shaft from the transmission. Some cars have 2 overdrive gears. Most have only 1. Some have no overdrive gear at all.
    The Sedona has one overdrive, 5th gear. If you turn off overdrive, the only thing you are doing is not allowing the transmission to shift (up) into that highest gear. You have made it into a 4-speed automatic instead of a 5-speed automatic.
    The shift points are the RPM readings at which the transmission will shift up to the next gear. Opting to turn off the overdrive does not change the shift points between 1st and 2nd, 2nd and 3rd, or 3rd and 4th. But since there is no longer any 5th gear to shift up to, there is of course NO shift point for a 4th to 5th gear change.
    My Sedona, with overdrive on, will upshift from 4th to overdrive 5th gear at a little under 40 mph. Shortly thereafter, the lock-up kicks in and lowers the RPM a little bit more. At that speed, 5th gear locked-up forces the motor to turn at about 1400 or so. Once in lock-up, there is no internal slippage between the motor and the output shaft of the transmission.
    Your vibration might not be caused by the 4th to 5th gear change. It may be caused by the lock-up function of the torque converter switching off and on. Very possible.
  • I have a 2002 sedona, car run fine so far and has less than 30000 mi. I had 3 spots on the car paint looks rough, not smooth. I went to 3 dealers and I got 3 different excuses. first, it was overpaint by owner or bodyshop, second, I didn't wax the car or it was ruin by acid rain (I lived in Los Angeles), Third, just refuse it is not Kia's fault. Just like the messages above, the rotor is warp, I got my brake replaced and resurface rotor at about 20K mi, of course dealer SUGGEST me to replace the brake and nothing wrong with the brake(Of course it will cost me $300), so I bought a set of duralast gold ceramic brake pad from autozone and replace it my self. But since I plan to keep the car for long time, I am worrying about the van, the dealer, and the warranty services, IMO, they have 10/100K warranty, but they will not admit any manufacture defective, most likely, I will need to repair most of the things by myself. I am very disappoint with the company, I will not recommend anyone to by kia at this time.
  • times2times2 Posts: 45
    I have a 2002 Sedona EX. The Rear Heater Lines have began to leak coolant. Although I have just over 40,000 miles, dealer said it's not under warranty. I haven't checked with Kia Head Quarters yet, but based on what I've seen here, it doesn't look like they will cover it (great warranty, huh?) They want about $550 to replace the coolant lines. I was wondering how you made out with your repair using the heater hose. Any recommendations?
  • The dealer should cover this under warrenty as long as you have had your 30k done if you have had it done and if they still say no ask to speak with there DPSM(district parts and service manager)
  • jim93jim93 Posts: 3
    I just repaired the lines going back to the rear heater on my 2002 Sedona using hose and clamps (have to watch out for the exhaust). My engine light came on right before I had a full "blowout" of all my coolant system. The dealership did not cover this so I decided to repair it myself (saw this could be done on a previous post). Try the $20.00 fix instead of the $500.00 one :).
  • I have a 2002 Sedona EX. The Rear Heater Lines have began to leak coolant. Although I have just over 40,000 miles, dealer said it's not under warranty. I haven't checked with Kia Head Quarters yet, but based on what I've seen here, it doesn't look like they will cover it (great warranty, huh?) They want about $550 to replace the coolant lines. I was wondering how you made out with your repair using the heater hose. Any recommendations?

T2:

Can you tell us anything more about *why* the dealer is denying you the repair? You car is obviously under 5 years old and has less than 60k miles. What is their rationale?

-Is it due to a missed inspection?

-Is it due to some loophole in the vehicle corrosion clause?

-Are you a second or third owner of the vehicle?

Please post the complete dealer statement on here if you would. There had better be a really sound loop-hole that KIA's crawling through to keep them from ponying up this repair. Esp. since it's appearing that their design and/or execution is at fault here. These lines are obviously looking like a(nother) weak spot in the old Sedona line, and that they should have been made out of a rust resistant or proof material such as stainless or a similar alloy.

I recommend to any other first-gen Sedona owners with this rear heat setup to consider getting under their vehicle and coating the heater lines (and heck... maybe the brake lines too!) with marine grease. I read about this technique on another board, and it supposedly does a good job of preventing rust of under body lines in salt prone areas.

In any case, clue us in on the specifics of this denial!

-SM
  • you are just another one of KIA's victims....the list grows ever larger day by day, i too are one of their victims
    The dealer said that because the lines were rusted through from New York State salt, it wasn't covered. I asked about the 5 year rust through warranty, and he said that was only on the body. (By the way, if the body doesn't rust all the way through - it's not covered - I have the rear liftback rust under the chrome that they won't fix). He said the Kia Rep confirmed that it wasn't covered. I haven't fought it too much yet because I needed the van back. Yesterday, I got the van back. I paid for the repair plus a cooling system flush. Now - I have no rear heat. The fan blows cold air. I called them this morning and have another appointment on Monday (02/13/06). I bought the van as the second owner with 26,000 miles on it. I had the dealer who sold it to me (who was not a Kia Dealer) flush the coolant system when I bought it, but Kia is not denying it because it wasn't flushed by them, they're denying because of our use of salt during the winter.
    I have logged a case with Kia Customer Service online. We'll see if I get any response from that.
  • Here's the type of grease for all you Sedona owners out there to check into:

http://www.pennzoil.com/products/marine/synth_white_grease.html

I read about this trick on USENET (Google Groups). It sounds reasonable to me!

-SM
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    so by that reasoning, rusted brake lines wouldn't be covered, or are they supposed to use different materials for those? if the latter, then one would have to conclude they used materials that are inappropriate for the environment in which they are sold and used in.
    Interesting thing... I didn't get a good look at the new lines yet, but I did notice that at least one of the lines seemed to be a metal line covered with a rubber/foam rubber coating. Maybe they have figured out they have a problem and are beginning to adjust for it.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    I wonder if this salt loophole is spelled out in any warranty documentation? Any manufacturer selling cars in the USA knows darn well that plenty of cars will be subject to salt. It would surprise me if they could legally or as a matter of policy NOT cover this based on the salt as the factor voiding the warranty coverage.

As a Sedona owner in Michigan, I probably should do that grease trick just mentioned...
This discussion has been closed.