Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Rattles

1181920212224»

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    I have one of the very early 2007's, and have had absolutely problems with rattles or squeaks. I was very hesitant to buy first year of new model year, but it has turned out to be one of the best vehicles we've ever owned.
  • I have 2010 Camry LE. The passenger seat rattles on the rough road at 35...40 mph. I tried to set it in a different ways - did not help. Will go and bother service people to fix this problem.
  • Did you ever get an answer to this question? I have the same rattle and i want to remove my heat shield but im not sure if its a good idea.
  • Can someone tell me if its a good idea to remove the heat shield? The rattle is driving me crazy. I took it to a mechanic and he just bent it and wouldnt remove it and the rattle is still there. Can someone help?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,678
    You mean the heat shield under the catalytic? No, probably not a good idea because this could cause grass fires if you park anywhere over dry grass, loose brush, etc.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    No way. If the manufacturer put the heat shield there, it is necessary. Why would they waste money on something not necessary?!

If it is the heat shield above the exhaust manifold, no, don't remove it or the cat heat shield.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,678
    I agree--either shield is there for a very good reason.

If a mechanic can take it off, a mechanic can make it not rattle IMO.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• What is TSB? I have a rattle under the hood or chassis and it is driving me crazy
  • I have a 2000 Camry that I bought used in 2002. I noticed a rattle, a like part of the engine is not attached properly. I took it to the dealer and he said that all toyotas sound like that. Well over the past 8 years - amazing car - the rattle has intensified greatly. It is loudest at idle and people keep telling me that I need to put in oil. My oil level is perfect. I am really frustrated because I've worked with engines and I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. It's definitely in the engine compartment. Could it be the lifters? or a rattle in the alternator? HELP!!!
  • :mad: I bought a 2004 4 dr sedan v6 camry in Dec 03. I LOVE THIS CAR!!! Until now! :mad: I have always had a very annoying rattle come from the seat belt holder on both driver and passenger sides, (the one near ear level) sometimes I can stop that by sliding that adjuster!
    All of a sudden - I have a nasty rattle in the steering colum when driving between 70 and 78 mph keep it right at 70 and no rattle, drive at 80 and no rattle, the steering wheel is also vibrating a little bit, but that rattle in the column is a bit scarry! Going to take my car in to see if maybe, just maybe I have tire out of balance or a cracked wheel or something, since many people tell me this could be the cause of the steering column rattling, although a little voice is teeling me it is not going to be that simple! Keep ya posted!
    Other rattles that have mysteriously started -
    a rattle behind the dash (clock, temp, stereo section) which stops when I push on it;
    a very strange rattle just developed from what appears to be the glove box and I cannot find a solution to that;
    the window on the drivers side when opening makes a very sad groaning noise, and when the window is closed it makes a ticking/crackling kind of sound! I notice this window groan is very bad in cold weather
    I don't like loud music so I can't really drown out the sounds, but I sure as heck can't think straight when driving due to rattle, rattle, rattle.
    Other than these things I have alwayas LOVED my camry and was planning on buying another, but now that I see everyone has issues with Toyota rattles and squeaks, I think I will go back to chevy!
    :sick:
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    edited February 2011
    Take the accessory belt off (5 min job), and then start the engine. If the rattle has stopped, then the problem is one of the bearings in one of the accessories or idler pulley....a common problem. Stop the engine, and then turn the individual accessories by hand to feel which one has a bad bearing.

If the rattle still occurs, then it's either the water pump or something internal to the engine, which will require much more major effort to diagnose and repair.
  • This is just an update - and it may help all those with rattles in the steering column -I tried process of elimination today with the good techs at Discount Tires, what an immense help they were, turns out it was a simple fix for my rattle - 3 tires out of balance. I hit the freeway at 70...73....75....78....80 NO RATTLING - whoo hoo I am so happy:)
    I always have my tires roated every 6000 miles and re balanced and rotated at 12000. I had them re balanced in November - I dont drive too much so not sure why they went out of balance - maybe a pot hole or something, but for those with rattles in the steering colum- check your tires first:)
  • n26w81n26w81 Posts: 4
    I have 4000 miles on my 2011 Camry AT and I have a rattle in the drivers side upper dashboard. Unbelievable. Anyone else?

I won't even ask about the persistant exterior drip stain that appears underneath the doors after every rain, the excessive rubber-band effect with the downshifting transmission, the under-carriage single clunk on a cold engine, and 3 times I found the trunk lid had automatically opened while I was well out of range with the remote.

Apparently, I bought a Chrysler in disguise.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Rattle in dash - in 2007, they had a rattle in dash - was fixed, my 2010 is quiet a year and a half old. Someone must have made a mistake on the assembly line.

"Under-carriage single clunk when cold" - see owner's manual, this is the ABS self test, no issue.

Exterior drip stain - will go away soon. Mine did the same, it is the undercoating or something, did it for a few months, never again.
  • I had a rattle in my 2000 camry in the engine compartment that tore at me for the last year and a half. I heard it when the car was cold when I would stop at a stop sign or red light the first 1/2 mile from home.

I finally found where the problem was by driving my car tires up against a heavy beam, left it in drive with the hand brake on, and when I opened the hood, the noise went away. When I pushed down on the hood the noise went away. The hood latch was rattling. I turned the 2 hood height adjusters to add more tension to the hood latch, and that fixed the problem. 1 1/2 years for that? How many trips to the shop for that? Oh, well, hopefully someone will benefit from this post.