Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Rattles

Comments

• camrytimes2camrytimes2 Posts: 31
    I just reviewed some of the 5 y.o. entries regarding numerous interior rattles in my 2003 Camry LE. My work at pulling 3 of the 4 interior "door cards" and other plastic fascia from the A, B and C pillars paid off, and I eliminated all of the pesky rattles that plagued my ride. Far too much of my time and effort went into fixing the rattles, which put the kibosh on my - then - new car experience. So, I made good on one of my claims and left the Toyota fold. I now have a 2009 Subaru Forester - made in Japan. Fit and finish are quite good so far. The MPG penalty over the Camry seems to be about 2-3 MPG highway. The now rattle free Camry still runs like a champ with 62k miles under my sister's ownership.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    Well, congrats on the 09 Forester...been looking forward to seeing one of those redesigns...is it still AWD all the time?...the only downside there is gas mileage...I prefer the RAV in that respect. As for the 'made in Japan' statement...I wouldn't take too much stock in that, our 06 (rattle) RAV was made in Japan. I too have 65K on my Camry. It was 'worry' free until late....I posted this elsewhere...I think its nice ot see how a car mechanically progresses over time.....

I felt the need to make a post somewhere. Back in 2002 I opted away from Ford and toward Toyota. I was tired of numerous trips to the Ford dealership for odd little problems, whether covered under warranty or not. From a dollars perspective, the Fords were cheaper up front. Again the constant trips to the dealer just were a nusisance and at the time I could afford the extra $$$$ for a new Camry. Well, I had NO trips to the dealer other than oil changes and fluid changes for the first 6 years. This year though the camry started to show some wear. Some sort of mechanism in my door that would not allow the keyles entry to work...$425. A sensor...$130 and now a valve job....$1700. Suffice to say I am thankfull I spent the $630 for the 7/75K extended warranty. These repairs have cost me nothing. Of course most would have skipped the valve job, I guess its normal over time for a puff of blew smoke out the tailpipe......but I was disapointed on a Toyota with only 65K miles. Yes the car has been maintained. I also think these valve issues are related to Toyotas much like Chryslers (at least the older ones). Our 95 Rav had the same problem. I never had that problem on our old Topaz and Mystique.

For what its worth....
  • suewolffsuewolff Posts: 1
    Did you ever figure this vibrating noise out?
    I have a 2004, now with 193000 miles. This has happened to me about a dozen times in the past year or so. usually around corners. It sounds like a phone vibrating rally loudly under the dash by my feet. It startles me and then goes away. Maybe lasting 2 seconds. once I was going straight just after a turn and there was no transmission for a couple of seconds.
  • For the past six months I've been researching the numerous posts about how people have tried to deal with their 96-01 Camrys and their rattle-y front suspensions. I've had my car to six or seven different places who all heard the rattle but couldn't find anything wrong with the car. Yesterday, I drove through a crappy parking lot and I clearly hit the rattle's naughty area because it sounded like the front end of the car was gonna fall off. After two circles around the lot, listening carefully, I pulled to a stop, released the hood lever, and resumed driving. Completely silent. I was absolutely stunned. I just bent the hood latch a bit and bam, fixed. Unfreakingbelievable. Anyway, for anyone who is dealing with a similar problem, try popping your hood (not raising it, just popping it). I could have sworn the sound was emanating from the wheels, but I'm glad I was wrong.

Sorry to all else who have had problems. My 120k '00 Camry is back to being completely silent and squeak free. My '05 G6 on the other hand.... :mad:
  • 2005 noise in dash driver's side sounds like an indian rain stick (hollow stick with seeds in side when upended sounds like rain). I have used a leaf blower on the vents and searched for anything loose without taking the dash apart. I have no water/condensation leaks. Happens when driving out of the garage accellerating slightly in reverse or forward and in some turns while going slow. This seems like a very unusual "rattle" and is getting worse each month.
    Other than that at 61K, it is a great car (25 to 27 town and 35 to 39 hiwy). Thanks for the help if there is any. jollygreen1
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    Could this be engine ping? Under certain conditions pinging sounds just like rain or small hail.
  • Thanks for the reply, bdyment. No, it is not engine ping. Since flying helicopters for many years, my hearing is shot, but not my wife's hearing (retired middle-school teacher). She has pin pointed the sound to the driver's side dash. I guess I will have to buy a Camry manual and eventually take the dash apart myself and find the "rain stick". Thanks
  • palokpalok Posts: 13
    My toyota Camry 2006 engine vibrates and rattles. A tinny sound. I can hear it as soon as I turn it on and it is audible until highspeeds mask the sound. Under the hood it is visibly shaking. Any idea as to cause? Engine mounts? Intake manifold?
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    Hi, I was just curious to find out if anyone with a 2010 Camry, LE, SE, or XLE is having any issues with interior rattles/squeak noise problems

Reason why I ask is, consumerreports.org has now added a rattle/squeak column to their reliability charts and the camry from 07-09 has black (much below avg) marks for rattles/squeaks and I was interested to know if toyota has spent the time to try and work out those little kinks in the 2010 since it was a mid-life cycling year??

Any thoughts and information would be greatly appreciated!!!!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    I have a 2007 and a 2010. The 2007 had the dash rattle fixed via the TSB, no problems after that. The 2010 does not have any rattles.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    I have one of the very early 2007's, and have had absolutely problems with rattles or squeaks. I was very hesitant to buy first year of new model year, but it has turned out to be one of the best vehicles we've ever owned.
  • I have 2010 Camry LE. The passenger seat rattles on the rough road at 35...40 mph. I tried to set it in a different ways - did not help. Will go and bother service people to fix this problem.
  • Did you ever get an answer to this question? I have the same rattle and i want to remove my heat shield but im not sure if its a good idea.
  • Can someone tell me if its a good idea to remove the heat shield? The rattle is driving me crazy. I took it to a mechanic and he just bent it and wouldnt remove it and the rattle is still there. Can someone help?
  • You mean the heat shield under the catalytic? No, probably not a good idea because this could cause grass fires if you park anywhere over dry grass, loose brush, etc.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    No way. If the manufacturer put the heat shield there, it is necessary. Why would they waste money on something not necessary?!

If it is the heat shield above the exhaust manifold, no, don't remove it or the cat heat shield.
  • I agree--either shield is there for a very good reason.

If a mechanic can take it off, a mechanic can make it not rattle IMO.
  • What is TSB? I have a rattle under the hood or chassis and it is driving me crazy
  • I have a 2000 Camry that I bought used in 2002. I noticed a rattle, a like part of the engine is not attached properly. I took it to the dealer and he said that all toyotas sound like that. Well over the past 8 years - amazing car - the rattle has intensified greatly. It is loudest at idle and people keep telling me that I need to put in oil. My oil level is perfect. I am really frustrated because I've worked with engines and I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. It's definitely in the engine compartment. Could it be the lifters? or a rattle in the alternator? HELP!!!
  • :mad: I bought a 2004 4 dr sedan v6 camry in Dec 03. I LOVE THIS CAR!!! Until now! :mad: I have always had a very annoying rattle come from the seat belt holder on both driver and passenger sides, (the one near ear level) sometimes I can stop that by sliding that adjuster!
    All of a sudden - I have a nasty rattle in the steering colum when driving between 70 and 78 mph keep it right at 70 and no rattle, drive at 80 and no rattle, the steering wheel is also vibrating a little bit, but that rattle in the column is a bit scarry! Going to take my car in to see if maybe, just maybe I have tire out of balance or a cracked wheel or something, since many people tell me this could be the cause of the steering column rattling, although a little voice is teeling me it is not going to be that simple! Keep ya posted!
    Other rattles that have mysteriously started -
    a rattle behind the dash (clock, temp, stereo section) which stops when I push on it;
    a very strange rattle just developed from what appears to be the glove box and I cannot find a solution to that;
    the window on the drivers side when opening makes a very sad groaning noise, and when the window is closed it makes a ticking/crackling kind of sound! I notice this window groan is very bad in cold weather
    I don't like loud music so I can't really drown out the sounds, but I sure as heck can't think straight when driving due to rattle, rattle, rattle.
    Other than these things I have alwayas LOVED my camry and was planning on buying another, but now that I see everyone has issues with Toyota rattles and squeaks, I think I will go back to chevy!
    :sick: