Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra GT vs. Mazda Protege5

leomortleomort Posts: 451
How do think these two hatchbacks compete against each other? Pro/cons on them? Which do think would be more reliable? Give me your views and opinions on them.

Thanks......Leo

Comments

• This topic needs broadening to the relevant 5-doors in 2002 --

Hyundai Elantra GT
    Kia Spectra (new design, engine for 2002)
    Kia Rio 5-door

The above might be very worthwhile to compare for price/performance issues.

Others -- the Mazda Protege, Subaru Impreza, Ford Focus 5-doors/wagons -- offer a very different comparison. Wouldn't the Mazda be (a) more expensive, and (b) more refined than the Korean cars? (Hey, that could be wrong...)

In fact, I would like to see how the Elantra GT compares to the new Spectra with the new 2.0-liter from the Elantra. Which will have better price/performance? Now that could be an useful comparison.

H.
  • leomortleomort Posts: 451
    Hi H!

Those comparisons would be nice. However when, I tried discussing such things I was informed that the Focus 5 door wasn't available in the U.S. nor would it be made available. Perhaps this has change? Regarding the Impreza, I was inform that it was considered a station wagon and not to be discussed on the hatchback forum.

The Mazda will be more expensive than the Hundai, but more refined? Possibly. But I'm comapring the various features. The Hyundai GT seem equally equiped as the Protege HB: all wheel disc brakes, ABS, side air bags, pw/pl, sports tuned suspension. Some might be options on one model and standard equipment on the other. But the seem to very comparable feature for feature.

Heck, I'd even like to through the Toyota Matrix in the mix, but that is a 2003 model. HB owners will have some choices in the next few years. A nice change of pace.

Leo
  • Source: http://www.rideanddrive.com/update/2001/industry177.html

Excerpt:

Focus ZX5 five-door Arrives in North America

Toronto, Canada, Feb. 14 — Ford's Focus is poised for greater popularity when the new 2002 five-door ZX5 model arrives this fall at Ford showrooms across Canada and the United States. The ZX5 made its North American debut at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto.

In both the U.S. and Canada, the new ZX5 is expected to have broad appeal . . .

[snip]

The Focus ZX5 will be manufactured in Hermosillo, Mexico, and pricing will be announced closer to introduction.

H.

thanks for the update. Will it have the same 2.0L 130 hp motor as the 3 door model?

Leo
    thanks for the update. Will it have the same 2.0L 130 hp motor as the 3 door model?

Leo

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=3304

With the same styling cues and performance-oriented features of the ZX3 three-door hatchback, including the peppy 130-hp, 2.0-liter Zetec four-cylinder engine, ...

It appears so!

• mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Don't overlook the Golf. Even in basic form it is loaded and now includes head air bags in addition to ABS.
    as I wanted to stay around or below 18,000 MSRP for a hatchback. The Golf I think starts at the amount and goes up. Plus, I heard that VW are not that reliable and are expensive to fix.

Leo
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    The Golf GLS starts at $16,300, which includes remote power locks, power windows, cruise control, AC, 8 speaker cassette, 4 wheel disc brakes with anti-lock control, and 6 airbags. Not a bad deal, especially considering its best-in-class safety. VWs are no more expensive to fix than are Mazdas, Hondas, Toyotas, or any other import. I have had extremely good luck with my 84 Rabbit GTI. It has over 200,000 miles and runs perfect! It always starts up first time and never stalls. It has been very reliable.
    All new Golfs built after some date in November have 8 airbags not 6. There are 4 head curtains, 2 in the front pillars and two in the side pillars. These are separate from the 2 side air bags.
  • bill_1bill_1 Posts: 97
    While the Golf is certainly the most expensive of the 5 door hatchbacks listed here (though we could list the Saab 9-3 if we wanted : )), I think it also deserves some credit as being the holdout.. lets face it, 5 years ago if you wanted a 5 door in this country the VW and the Saab were it.

In any case, the Golf is a blast to drive and while reliability may not be the absolute top of the list, it is not really horrible either. I have a 98 Jetta and other than a leaky sunroof when I first got it (covered under warrenty) I have not had to take my car in for any unscheduled maintainance (Been religious about the scheduled maintainance though).
  • handydoghandydog Posts: 19
    Test drove both sedan versions today, and assuming the hatches are comparable, Mazda beats Hyundai. The Protege ES looks nice on the outside, has a great interior, and great handling and ride. The Elantra has more power, but is otherwise lacking. The Elantra engine is very loud when accelerating (and not in a good way), and the pattern they picked for the seats is horrible. The material is actually much nicer than it looks. Still might give the Elantra GT a try when it comes out since it should be somewhat different from the sedan, but I think Mazda has got the nicer car (even if it costs more).
    The Engine in the Elantra GT will be the same as in the GLS so if you found the engine too loud (and that was the deal breaker) then I doubt you will find much difference in the GT. In most other respects though the GT is going to be much more upmarket (despite only a modest sticker increase). It will have a revised suspension, power everything and leather seating surfaces. So I think it would definitely be worth your while to check out the GT particularly since even fully loaded it will probably be several thousand shy of the Protege 5 door.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    Check out Edmunds.com's new side by side Vehicle Comparison. Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

A nicely loaded Elantra Gt should be around 15/16 while a nicely loaded Mazda Protege 5 should come in around 18/19. BUT Hyundai should be able to knock the price down to invoice to sell butno special financing, while Mazda has the possibility of offering their special financing deals on this Protege (usually in lieu of a small cash back), don't know whether you can get Mazda to go down to invoice price.
    Regardless of which car you prefer, the consumer is the winner with many more HB to select from than in the recent past! Otherwise we have no debate of whose HB is better :)

Leo
    I wouldn't get either one. For $15,500 or so, you can get a new Accord DX with the value package including AM/FM/casette/CD, auto, air and side air bags. Fold down the rear seat and other than for large boxes, you will carry a lot more than either the Pro or the Elantra, get a much better ride, enjoy far better resale, get better reliability, and be in a bigger safer car with a far better ride and a heck of lot more leg room.
  • liljonsonliljonson Posts: 109
    No offense to the honda lovers out there but i seriously don't think honda is worth it other than the prelude si and s2000, other than that i think hondas are "kaka" the dx for 15K not even loaded, great deal and the weezy non-vtec that an accent gt can beat with ease in stick ofcoarse. The new civics are mad ugly and their .1 liter increase doesn't do much for me. I look at value and if i had a choice between a elantra gt/MP5 or a honda, i'd go with choice #1, much better value because you actually get something standard in the car and don't get a engine that just makes noise and doesn't go, plus i know the engines for the GT and MP5 aren't like the WRX or the new SE-R types of 4 cylinder engines, but atleast you can do engine mods on them to go faster, which i've seen done on accords and they still get beat up by everybody and their grandmothers. Thats just me and my experience though =)
  • tocantocan Posts: 118
    Unfortunately, neither of these 2 cars show up on the comparison test lists because they aren't out yet. (Actually I assume it is because the information isn't out yet.) My first try I couldn't even compare the Elantra GLS to the Protege ES, but I managed that the second time through. It's kind of a neat function.

Nomi
  • handydoghandydog Posts: 19
    I think I will take Bill_1's advice and take a second look at the Elantra. I got so turned off by the ugly pattern on the fabric that I was probably less inclined to like other aspects of the Elantra. The upgrades in the GT will take care of the ugly fabric and might even the score with the Mazda, especially since the Mazda 5-door is going to be about $2k more than the Elantra GT.

With respect to the Accord DX, I really don't think that it is a better bargain than either the Mazda or Elantra. The interior room is not that much more; the engine output is similar; the standard equipment is less; and my guess is that the performance and handling is inferior. Also, fold-down rear seats are nice, but are not the equivalent of hatch. They help with long skinny items, but anything that is not proportioned to fit through the back doors or trunk opening is not going in the car (and that excludes a lot of stuff). Don't get me wrong, I had an old stripped Civic in the early-mid eighties and love Hondas, I just am not sure that the Accord fits the bill for what I am looking for.
    With all respect, mpgman, I don't think you have ever owned or really used a hatchback or small wagon for what they do best which is carrying stuff. While the Honda will almost certainly have a better resale value, that does not make it necessarily a better choice. The Elantra GT will have a more powerful engine, (you are after all looking at the base model accord) and either the Protege or the Elantra has the potential to carry many more and larger items than almost any car with a trunk. Not to mention that Hatchbacks are easier to park (your back window is the back of the car so no guessing how much space you have behind you).

I have not really looked at Hyundai or Mazda but I might when I look for my next car which I definitely want to be a hatchback... OF course I might decide to go all out and go with a Saab, GTI VR6 or a MB C class...
This discussion has been closed.