Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion xA

Comments

• fdannafdanna Posts: 263
    It is an interesting question. We don't have local sales taxes in Massachusetts (maybe not in all of New England) so it's not something I've ever dealt with. However, my suspician is that with something as large as a car, you would end up paying the tax which is relevant to the area in which you live. Otherwise, everyone would just flock to the dealer in the area with the lowest local tax and you've just made the case for why local taxes are stupid.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    For example, you can buy a car in a city with a high tax, like Berkeley or San Francisco, but if you register it in Ojai your tax is at the lower rate. This was ok'd by the state legislature so as to not discourage out of town buyers from locales where the local tax is high.

A friend bought a car from out of state. He got waived on tax in the state where he bought it, and took it to the local DMV to register it at his address...and pay the sizeable sales tax (actually called a "use tax" since the sale took place out of state, but the amount is the same as a sales tax). Theoretically we are supposed to declare all of our out of state mail order/internet purchases on our state tax returns, too.
  • I know. I just recently moved and didn't notice all the different local taxes until now, thats why I am so confused. However, my friend has asked dealer about it. For out of state buyers, you pay the tax where you buy your car. As for in-state with different local taxes. You pay tax based on where you live.

I've asked people about different local taxes. I also emailed dmv to ask tax questions. I got one answer saying the money you pay goes to state, city and forgot the other one. I guess they spread the money to those three places. Maybe thats why they have these local taxes.
  • thanks micweb:

did you mean when you purchase car say in SFO, you don't pay sales tax until you register your car? sounds very good! but I've heard if you don't pay sales tax, the dealer wont' let you drive your car away; guess that was wrong, or its only in CA??

Internet tax has been an issue. Theoretically I agree what you say, and there are some sites has already practice sales tax. But as customer view, I ususally go for the site I don't need to pay tax just to save some money because shipping is another cost on internet order.
  • fdannafdanna Posts: 263
    We pay both sales tax and registration fees at the same time, at the DMV (well, here it's RMV) and you get your plate on the spot. No such thing as a temporary plate. Usually the dealer does it for a fee, but there's nothing stopping you from doing it yourself. Your insurance agent then stamps the registration to prove insurance and you may then drive the car, and not before.

The tax is the same 5% that is taxed on everything else we buy (excl. clothes and unprepared food, which is 0%).
    You can't drive off without paying taxes...but they have schedules for all the counties in California and charge you based on your residence.
  • I don't know if this may help your issue... but i feel it *is* one aspect not yet addressed.

I just bought an RS 1.0 xA (#865) about 2 weeks ago and off the lot i was averaging 27 mpg. After all kinds of timing and checking w/ wheel size issues (since RS has 17" wheels) I finally checked the tire pressure -- 30 psi in my low-profile 50 psi rated tires. I inflated to 47 psi and now getting 35 mpg!!!!!! So maybe check your tires...

my 2 cents...
    ~jonathan
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    Um... it's safer to run on 30psi tires...

50psi-rated means it's in danger of blowing up above 50, not that it's the recommended pressure.
  • but our state law is based on where you purchase, which is 10% if I am going to buy scion.
  • 5% is pretty good rate compare to here. And it just saves lots time and money and trouble. I guess every state have different law.
    If you were checking mileage only during the first two weeks, the odds are you got an incomplete fill from the dealer originally which gave you a low mileage reading. xA's seem to be getting low to mid 30's for mileage. Mine was 32 mpg for the first few thousand miles then rose to 35 mpg; same commute route, so I assume it was the engine breaking in (they seem to come very "tight" from the factory).
  • Hi there, i am a new owner of an automatic xA named "britney." i love my car...but the ride is a little rough. to all you car experts, is there anything (affordable) i can do to soften the bumpiness? i was thinking about getting chubby tires...but was told that wider tires increase skidding in the wintertime. as i live in philadelphia, that is a problem.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    Check your tire pressure. Dealers are supposed to reduce your pressure before you receive the car. The car is inflated to a high pressure for shipping. Look on the metal plate in your door jam for the factory recommened pressure.

The ride on the xA is reported to be a little rough for the first couple thousand then gets somewhat smoother.
    Britney will ride hard her entire life; the suspension only softens up a little. I think the stock tires actually have relatively soft side walls. However, Conner at Tire Rack (there is an Edmunds group) seems to really know what tires work the best.

In terms of inflation, for what its worth, my 2001 VW Golf, which weighs about 400-500 pounds more than the xA, came with 195x65x15 tires, very close to the stock 185x60x15 inch tires on the xA, and only required 26 pound of tire pressure. This may well be all a car with this weight and this much tire requires. However, in light of the Firestone tire blow out debacle on Fords, no one seems to want to spec low tire pressures anymore; for example, the 2004 Golf is now stickered with a 32 psi requirement, the same as the xA. Thinking is, that if owners neglect checking the tire pressure, there is more of a safety margin for leakage and lowering of ambient temperatures before you are in the danger zone. On the other hand, my Neon says 32psi is good, but if you are going to drive over 80 mph or in the summer in hot climates, 35 psi is better. I have also read articles on driving techniques that highly recommend 35 psi for safety and handling reasons (but check your sidewall for max psi ratings! usually 45 psi, but sometimes as low as 35 psi).

For my wife, I always put in 35 psi so there is a margin of safety, and I also check it once a month, or if there is a sudden rise or fall in ambient temperature (heat wave, cold snap) check it again. You are supposed to have the mfg. recommended pressure based on ambient temperature, before driving more than a mile or two.

So, then, a tire with a proven reputation for soft riding will help; keeping it at 32psi will help. But don't go below the mfg. recommended minimum tire pressure.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Who is Britney?

For my wife, I always put in 35 psi so there is a margin of safety

35 PSI is on the firm side.
  • xA owners, how do you deal with the limited rear visibility when you look over your left shoulder to change lanes?
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    All you can do is have your mirrors well adjusted. Turn them so you can't see the back of your car in your side mirrors, and can see more of the lane next to you.
    Britney was the other poster's pet name for his/her car.
  • because the xA is cute and eye-catching but overall average performance.

anyways, thanks to all who answered re. the rough ride and tire pressure. dumb question: where do i get my tire pressure checked - gas station? (sorry first car owner)

also, any idea if purchasing another size of tires would affect the ride at all?

to answer the question re. rear winndow visibility, i actually took out the rear headrests. i don't usually have rear passengers though. don't know if this is do-able for you.
    Sears Auto Centers have good, cheap digital tire pressure gauges, around $5 (you don't need the bigger, heavier models). It's good to learn how to do this yourself - just drive to a gas station first thing in the morning (so the tires aren't heated up from driving, which affects pressure), take some quarters for the air machine, take off all the stem screw caps (look on the inside rim of your wheel, easy to find), then check the pressure and adjust as necessary. Like a bicyle. Do this once a month at first, you can stretch it out no more than two months during constant weather (no temperature shifts) after you know you don't have any slow air leaks - all tires lose about a pound a month regardless. But, if you are going on a long drive at highway speeds, it pays to check before you go.

I also walk my car before every drive to see if I have a flat or low tire, just to be on the safe side.
  • thank you for your reply. i really appreciate the specific instructions!
  • what was your out-the-door-price on your brand spanking new RS 1.0 xA? I saw one a month or so ago at my nearest Scion dealer and I was very impressed by it's looks. Those wheels and tires are sharp looking. A harsh ride wouldn't bother me(I don't think it would anyway), I drive a '01 Kia Sportage 4x4 that rides like a little truck. It's got 88,400 miles and I'm looking at the Scion tC for a possible trade-in, next year sometime. This bright red xA looked pretty sharp, though, in a quirkish sort of way. It really gives it a sporty look.

jwinters...are you happy with your RS 1.0 xA? What could be improved? IIRC the price for that special edition xA was only around $13,895 before T&L. Is that correct? Also, are Scion dealers out of them all now? I know there are only so many of them available. I have read this entire thread so I've read a lot about the xA already. Just wondering how your experience has been. Anybody else's opinion is welcome about their non-RS 1.0 xA's, too. That value price looks nice-it's one thing I love about buying Kia's, indeed.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• I went by the dealer tonight and they go for around $15,500 plus tax and license. That is still a good deal for what you get, though, obviously. I will not scratch it off my list and I also decided to not test drive one yet. If I'm still interested in the spring-early summer of '05 I'll test drive one then. The xA RS 1.0 in that bright red I saw at the dealer tonight was an automatic or I would have asked to test drive it! Maybe later.

• The dealer signs a covenent with Toyota stating they will not discount the pricing on the Scion. I bought my xA RS 1.0 (#240 of 1550) last week for $15,195 in Springfield, MO. I have the only one in the area right now.

I saw one this weekend in Denison, TX for just over $16,000... so I'm not sure what the difference is.

Expect to exact MSRP on any Scion.... and I LOVE MINE by the way....
  • does your xA's taking of bumps annoy you? Or is it what one would expect with thinnish sport profile all-season radials? Any rattles or other petty problems popping up yet?

Automatic tranny or manual?

You must have bought from Reliable Scion in Springfield, eh? I looked at the closest dealer to me-just a hop, skip and a jump over from you at Seeger Scion in St.Robert, MO.

• I just purchased a Scion XA in Columbia SC. I am waiting for delivery so I don't have much to say about the car but I can say that it was the easiest buying process I have ever had buying a car. My trade in was under valued but when are they not. The no haggle pricing is wonderful. The dealer didn't even try to push any options. I told him what I wanted, put down a deposit and that was it.
  • It's definitely not as smooth a drive as my Explorer Sport Trac was, but you're right... it's exactly what you'd expect from a tiny car. I think it is fun to drive. Reminds me of my 1984 Pontiac Fiero.

Since we went out of town for Thanksgiving, I only have 200 miles on it... no rattles yet. Seems very tight and built well. I thinks that's what most Toyota owners will tell you.

The RS 1.0 is a manual. Yes, I nabbed mine @ Reliable. They had one silver automatic and one black manual of the plain variety... don't know if they'll ever get another RS 1.0. I lost a lot of sleep worrying that someone else would get it before me.
  • I have the RS 1.0 xA bug. They do that on purpose, the "only 1,550 so hurry and get yours" thing. Oh well, that's the pull...I mean, I don't really have a hankering for a plain xA much at all. The plain ones just look sort of..umm...plain. Something tells me sales data will show Scion planning engineers that they best be building more of these "RS 1.0" series cars, eh? I remain interested, indeed.

• I agree that the RS 1.0 looks much better than the basic xA. I think the color might be part of it, but I think the grill is a big part too. It makes the nose look much nicer. I wonder if you can get it or something similar aftermarket?
  • full steam ahead you probably can. Yeah, the grille looks way better up there on the RS 1.0. I also like how the red color accentuates the wheel well styling on this car. I even like that neat little spoiler out back!