Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion xA

Comments

• micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Congratulations! You WILL put more miles in a short time than any of the rest of us, so PLEASE update us on repair and warranty matters. Should be pretty good, but your reports will be invaluable!
  • rossm2rossm2 Posts: 96
    You must be careful in the comparison. The xA and the old Vitz are not the same car. The Vitz is the same in dimensions as the ECHO hatchback found in Canada, not the xA.

Length: 147.1"

Width: 65.4"

Height: 59.1"

Wheelbase: 93.3" (same)

Weight: 2150 lb. (5-door manual)

Ross
    I am still hoping for the best on the xA getting a little longer, wider track....
    I was planning on getting an ECHO hatch later this year, but will probably wait now until the new one is out, or at least until the specs are known. I actually hope that the wheelbase and track DON'T grow very much. I have always appreciated small cars (my first new car was a '69 Austin Mini Cooper - yup, the real thing). A short wheelbase, narrow track car is wonderful for negotiating forestry roads, and we have an abundance of them here on Vancouver Island. The current platform does not have particularly good clearance, so making it too much longer/wider would make it less useful for me. On the other hand, my Duck Toller would probably like a bit more room than the current hatch provides for stretching out. :-)

Ross
  • Since I will be putting about 700 miles per week on my xA at least, I will keep everybody posted on its' performance. My two local routes are mostly bag and toss, not any really hard stopping, and my huge USA Today route is 75% highway stops and 25% in the main drag where I live. I always drive careful and repectfully-I think this is why my paper cars last so long. I look forward to posting messages and getting feed back from everybody! Chuck
  • It would be very interesting to see a second generation ECHO. Although, I think there is a low probability. I know the Canadian market is different. Canada still has the Celica or rather is Tsunami.
    Indeed it is. The ECHO, largely due to the hatchback, was the number 10 selling car in Canada for 2004! Small cars, and especially hatchbacks, have always been much more popular here than in the States. And yes, the Celica is still offered here.

Ross
  • Small cars would be more popular if gas prices rise. However, that would make going camping more expensive.
  • Well I have had my Scion xA for 11 day and have almost 1400 miles on it! I love this car. The power steering, 15" tires, great sound system, and heavy duty suspension are great!!! I had about 850 lbs in the Scion on friday and it handled perfectly. The power steering makes my routes so much easyier. The cruise is great when I am coming back from my USA Today route. And Gas-28.23, very impressive for what I do. How long has the xA been sold in Europe and Japan? Some history please. What about using synthic oil? Any help would be much appreciated...
  • fdannafdanna Posts: 263
    Oh boy, you're really opening up a huge can of worms with the synthetic oil discussion. There are two distint opinions on this. I belong to the side that says it's completely unnecessary and a pure waste of money (like high octane gas).

The only reports that seem to back it, come from the manufacturers of the synthetic oil because they make more money on it.

I say save your $$ and stick with the regular oil from a high quality brand and change your oil on the normal schedule (probably every 7500 miles, check the book).
  • If you are using your Scion for your mail route,I would recommend staying with the nonsynthic oil and change it every 3000 miles.Due to the fact that you do a lot of stop and go driving.Just my 2 cents worth.
    You are carrying a lot of weight. Heat is the primary enemy of engines. Synthetic won't sludge up, varnish, or have other thermal breakdown issues like conventional oil. I would probably run Mobil 1 5-30 full synthetic with 5,000 mile intervals, the shortest change interval required by Scion (7,500 normal 5,000 severe, if my memory is correct).

There are two cheaper options. Rotella -T full synthetic 5-40 is made by Shell with diesel and heavy duty gas applications. It is not a true full synthetic like Mobil 1 (built up from molecules) but one of the alternate "re-engineered" conventional oil synthetics. This oil is about $3.50 a quart in 4 quart jugs from Wal-Mart; Mobil 1 is $5 a quart.

The cheapest option is Chevron Supreme 10-40 (or whatever appropriate weight they stock) from Costco. Chevron has had some of the most advanced refining techniques - the process they developed is known as "hydro cracking" - and produces an oil that is very uniform. It is considered a Type II+ product, not a full Type III "re-engineered" synthetic or a true "built from molecules up" Type IV product like Mobil 1.

In choosing an oil I would take into account three factors:

1. You apparently used conventional oil in your old car on the same route and never had problems.

2. "Conventional" oil recently got a significant upgrade from SL to SM which essentially means major brands are using a base stock oil much closer to "semi-synthetic" anyway.

3. On the other hand, modern cars like the xA run at higher operating temperatures and tend to have narrower oil passages in the cylinder head where the oil can be exposed to significantly higher "spot" temperatures that can break it down.

All things being equal, I would probably use Rotella -T. It is NOT an "energy star" oil because it designed more like a "high mileage" oil with extra wear additives for extra engine protection. A lot of people swear by it, and you can research it on the Shell website or other websites. One caution - part of the recent changes in oil grades have been to reduce antiwear additives that are known to shorten catalytic converter life for the redesigned converters that use less platinum (read: cheaper). My VW has an old fashioned platinum rich converter for which the new grade oil is not necessary. You would need to check your XA manual to see what oil grade is required for the xA, and possible call the Shell technical support line for guidance. Otherwise you could risk shortening the converter life.
  • did you get rid of your Scion xA? Still have it?

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

I thought we were going to trade it in on an xB, but my wife fell in love with a CR-V and we got that instead. We traded in two cars for one, so we are starting to hew to the norm a little better. We should be down to two vehicles by mid year, right now the Neon is easier for my wife to drive than the CR-V. I have been driving a VW Golf, sort of the xA's older sibling, but doesn't have the reliability reputation of Toyota products (particularly the high reliability of the Echo and xA).
  • marketing question here. Would you buy another Scion(of any model)? For instance, Scion will be putting out the xA RS 2.0 in blue in May 2005. That red RS 1.0 looked great and total cost before T&L was only $15,200 or dollars to that effect somewhere. That's a good deal because the RS xA's already come tricked out nicely straight-from-the-factory, know what I mean? I'll be looking at the 2.0's when they come out, for sure!

• tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    I wonder how different in blue the 2.0 will be. There is no other bright red in the lineup, but there is indigo ink.

I really liked the xA 1.0. It was nicely done and it drove good too. Even though, I bought the xB, Toyota did a great job with the 1.0 package.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    of a car being really good in it's basic form but way cool in the RS form. That Absolutely Red was great! I don't know if the xA is too small for my wife and I and our two Pomeranians but there's one good way to find out!

• zephyr67zephyr67 Posts: 3
    Thanks - for the advice. Based on what you said I opened up the engine and just bent the accelerator cable bracket on top back a bit and - Problem Solved.
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    Does the XA have a timing-belt or maintenance free chain? If a belt what is the recommended change interval?
  • inharmswayinharmsway Posts: 153
    The xa has a timing chain, and no maintenance is required.
    Niels
  • I test drove a scion and it was priced at 14775 out the door with a manual. I found the Scion to be a bit hard to handle on the road. I really did not enjoy driving it. The price was right though and I bought it. I really am not pleased with the car. I
    test drove the Chevy Aveo and I really loved that car. I have to say the Chevy Aveo is a much better handling car.
  • billmchalebillmchale Posts: 107
    So Karen, why did you buy the Scion then? Its not like you couldn't have had the Aveo for less? Also I found the Scion's handling to be quite competitive for the segment though I did think the ride was a little harsh (But probably typical for such a small car).
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    I own an Aveo, and I think it's a very competitive package with the xA. As far as the handling, they both handle fine, but I prefer the xA because it feels a little sportier. The Aveo is a softer ride - it's pretty comfortable, but not as much fun to drive.

In the end, I bought the Aveo w/ AC and an auto for $8500 before tax/license. The equivalent xA would have been about $5500 more (and would have had pw/pl, which I don't really need). And in this segment, that is a ton of money.
  • What is the word on the '06 models? I am debating if I should get my xA this month or wait a bit and get an '06 when it comes out. I do not want to wait too long but if I know when it is coming, it will make it quite a bit easier for me to have something to look forward too.
    How the heck did you get an Aveo with air and auto for that price ($8500)?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    how on Earth? Or, related question, what was the sticker price on the car you bought, muffin man?

Would love to see Scion bring out cruise as an OEM feature for the xA, it turned me away when I first started looking that cruise wasn't available.

And a moonroof, but that I suppose I could live without at the price. I am very curious to see one of these RS 2.0s up close and personal.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

At least the the Scion you're getting a bullet-proof quality Toyota... the Aveo is a just a Daewoo with an inefficient engine that, despite being almost the same size as the Scion's, has much worse gas mileage.

I'm waiting for cruise control before I buy one.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    The MSRP of my Aveo was $11,635. It's a base (now LS) which comes with A/C standard. The automatic transmission was the only option. The dealer had a $1200 discount, then gave me 2-$500 customer incentive certificates, and then I had $900 on my GM card. Total --> $8500.

fdanna - You're right, the Scion gets slightly better gas mileage (3mpg in mixed driving?), and is likely to be more reliable. But it also would have cost me about 50% more. I think the xA/xB/Echo are great cars, but you pay for the privilege.

I'm taking a chance on the Aveo, but at this price, it's not a big one.
    Well, if Hyundai is any indicator, Korean quality has turned a major corner. You might be ok afterall :-)
This discussion has been closed.