Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion xA

Comments

• A friend of mine is considering an XA. I was wondering if Scion's are part of the Toyota Trac program and dealers do have access to low mileage ones they can sell as certified pre-owned?

Thanks.
  • I saw three at a local dealership, and I was impressed. Its a pretty car.
  • It is automatic. Slides and/or tilts. Works absolutely great! Really makes the car fun.
  • I've had my 1.0 Xa for 21/2 months now. At 3,000 miles, I'm still only averaging 28-30mpg on highway driving. 30 mile commute each direction, 28 miles I drive 45-60mph, little stopping, only 2 mile of city driving. Dealer says don't even watch gas mileage until have 5,000 miles, but I think this is what it is.

I really enjoy the little car, love the sun roof (never had one and it works perfectly), and really like a lot of the features--but the gas mileage is disappointing. My old 4-cylinder Toyota truck with camper shell does just as well!

With more driving, how is yours doing?
  • Tundradude, I agree about the 1.0; I think the front grill on it is far better than the standard one and makes the car look much better.

I hear Toyota is planning on restyling the xA and I wonder if that is where the designers are going to concentrate (Or maybe they will just switch all the cars over to the new grill).

--

Bill
  • I am thinking about buying an xA for my newspaper routes. I run 2 small local routes and a huge USA Today. I had 155000 on a Chevy Metro and it finally blow up. I drive about 650 miles per week. I need a strong car, good on gas and one that will last. The Metro lasted 4.5 years, so I am hoping a Toyota based car will last longer. Half of my driving is highway miles. Anybody use there xA like this. Chuck
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Just check the load capacity to make sure it is sufficient.

It's the smallest, lightest, most fuel efficient (except for the hybrid) Toyota.

Another option is a Matrix, assuming you need a hatch and 4 doors.

There are no major glitches in the xA. It is similar to the Echo, which has among the highest reliability ratings from Consumer Reports. It is not a new car, it was previously made and sold in Japan and Europe.
    The xA and Echo are based on the Japanese market Vitz. A new Vitz and its specs have just been announced - Google "redesigned toyota vitz" for details. It sounds like just the incremental upgrade we have been looking for in the xA - slightly longer wheelbase, more rear overhang for better luggage etc.
  • Got my Silver Scion xA Sunday in Louisville, $14100-w/ Cruise! They had the Ross people do it and it worked fine. Love the car!
    Compared to old Vitz/xA:

new platflorm, suspension, brakes, compact torque converter (on automatics);

shortened nose (! it was already short!) and lengthened rear overhang for more interior luggage space;

4.3 inches longer overall, l8 taller, 1.2 inches wider - but most importantly, 3.5 inch longer wheelbase - still on the short side, but the ride should be a lot less choppy!
    Congratulations! You WILL put more miles in a short time than any of the rest of us, so PLEASE update us on repair and warranty matters. Should be pretty good, but your reports will be invaluable!
  • rossm2rossm2 Posts: 96
    You must be careful in the comparison. The xA and the old Vitz are not the same car. The Vitz is the same in dimensions as the ECHO hatchback found in Canada, not the xA.

Length: 147.1"

Width: 65.4"

Height: 59.1"

Wheelbase: 93.3" (same)

Weight: 2150 lb. (5-door manual)

Ross
    I am still hoping for the best on the xA getting a little longer, wider track....
    I was planning on getting an ECHO hatch later this year, but will probably wait now until the new one is out, or at least until the specs are known. I actually hope that the wheelbase and track DON'T grow very much. I have always appreciated small cars (my first new car was a '69 Austin Mini Cooper - yup, the real thing). A short wheelbase, narrow track car is wonderful for negotiating forestry roads, and we have an abundance of them here on Vancouver Island. The current platform does not have particularly good clearance, so making it too much longer/wider would make it less useful for me. On the other hand, my Duck Toller would probably like a bit more room than the current hatch provides for stretching out. :-)

Ross
  • Since I will be putting about 700 miles per week on my xA at least, I will keep everybody posted on its' performance. My two local routes are mostly bag and toss, not any really hard stopping, and my huge USA Today route is 75% highway stops and 25% in the main drag where I live. I always drive careful and repectfully-I think this is why my paper cars last so long. I look forward to posting messages and getting feed back from everybody! Chuck
  • It would be very interesting to see a second generation ECHO. Although, I think there is a low probability. I know the Canadian market is different. Canada still has the Celica or rather is Tsunami.
    Indeed it is. The ECHO, largely due to the hatchback, was the number 10 selling car in Canada for 2004! Small cars, and especially hatchbacks, have always been much more popular here than in the States. And yes, the Celica is still offered here.

Ross
  • Small cars would be more popular if gas prices rise. However, that would make going camping more expensive.
  • Well I have had my Scion xA for 11 day and have almost 1400 miles on it! I love this car. The power steering, 15" tires, great sound system, and heavy duty suspension are great!!! I had about 850 lbs in the Scion on friday and it handled perfectly. The power steering makes my routes so much easyier. The cruise is great when I am coming back from my USA Today route. And Gas-28.23, very impressive for what I do. How long has the xA been sold in Europe and Japan? Some history please. What about using synthic oil? Any help would be much appreciated...
  • fdannafdanna Posts: 263
    Oh boy, you're really opening up a huge can of worms with the synthetic oil discussion. There are two distint opinions on this. I belong to the side that says it's completely unnecessary and a pure waste of money (like high octane gas).

The only reports that seem to back it, come from the manufacturers of the synthetic oil because they make more money on it.

I say save your $$ and stick with the regular oil from a high quality brand and change your oil on the normal schedule (probably every 7500 miles, check the book).