Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion xA

Comments

• I'm on hold right now... with Scion.

I'll be in the market for a new car and I'm looking at the xA and the Honda Fit. I'm not sure whether either is capable of carrying two kayaks. Yes, I can install a roof rack but will I get blown over if a stiff wind comes up? Will there be too much drag in the vehicle and tax the engine beyond what is prudent?

Ok, just got the answer that the total load capacity of the vehicle is 825lbs (p. 139 in the owner's manual). Two people plus two kayaks and gear is not likely to exceed that rating. Is that all I need to consider?

Thx/Cq
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    out there? Related to automobiles and what they can carry against a strong wind force? I'm serious, in regards to the above question, yes I am. ;)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,664
    no sweat. Nothing is going to blow you over short of a tornado....would the car get squiggley in a very high wind hitting the car on the perpendicular? Yeah, but so would a lot of cars. Kayaks don't have a lot of freeboard.
  • barsonbarson Posts: 34
    I can't tell from the online site if the xA comes with any standard stereo system. Anyone know? While a CD player would be nice, the car I'm driving now only has AM/FM, and that's ok. Personally I would prefer saving the $449 on the xA's AM/FM/CD MP3 w/satellite radio option if possible.
    Yeah you get the CD player standard. I didn't get the MP3 because the standard system has an AUX jack so you can play your iPod but you can't control it from the deck unless you have the MP3 option. I didn't mind controlling it from the iPod without deck display, who cares?

I did opt for Satellite radio and I'm very pleased with that option. You don't need to buy the MP3 upgrade to get satellite radio.
    Thanks for the response about the stereo. I'll be test driving an xA this afternoon. I test drove a Kia Spectra yesterday and was talking with the salesperson about the difference in real world MPG between manual and automatic transmissions. He said that for the Spectra, automatics typically get ~ 3 MPG better than the manuals on long commutes/highway driving. Whether this was sales bluster or not I don't know.

I ran some numbers at home, and for a vehicle that gets around 30 MPG (a lowball estimate of real world xA mileage on the highway), getting 3 MPG better with an automatic still made the automatic more expensive than the manual at 100,000 miles, even factoring in a few hundred dollars to install a new clutch pad. I used a gas price of $2.50/gal.

I'm wondering if this is the situation with the xA. Past posters have said that the manual transmissions are geared very low. Are automatics geared any higher and would this, plus the supposedly "finer" tuning in the transmission, save gas on the highway?

My daily commute is short (about 15 miles) without stop and go traffic. A weekend highway trip for me might be about 250 miles. Generally I drive cars into the ground rather than trade them in. The automatic transmission in my current car fried itself a few years ago, and the repair bill was $2400. I'm leery of claims that automatic transmissions are so much better now than years ago, especially once they pass the 150,000 mile mark.
    I suspect that with the higher gearing, the automatic xA might get 1 mpg more on the highway and 1-2 mpg less in the city (since you have to press the gas harder to get going).

I'm pretty confident that the xA fuel mileage will look like this, with a 5 speed manual:

Hard city driving only, up and down hills, idling, etc. (the worst case scenario) 28 mpg

Combo city and FAST highway driving 31-33 mpg

80 mph highway driving only 34 mpg

65 mph highway driving only: 36 mpg

55 mph highwar driving only: 37-38 mpg

The only advantage I really see to a 5 speed manual is "fun" and the ability to dart around in traffic....
  • joey0708joey0708 Posts: 39
    Hi-Can anyone tell me how the air conditioner works in the xa? Is it adequate on a hot day?
    excellent but I haven't been in Phoenix at 110 degrees yet...only about 90 degrees.
    Thanks for fast response-90 temp. is a good judge-I assume you have manual-How do you think it would be in automatic? What yr. is yours? The 2006 dropped hp to 103-so I wonder if that would matter-Other than a rough ride-how do you like yours in general-Thanks
    Test drove the xA on Saturday; liked it. The dealership experience was a disappointment. The salesman seemed uninterested and/or clueless, a sales manager tried to delay me; said "I'll be right back" and never returned. Very different experience at the Kia dealer I went to on Friday. The salesman there was enthusiastic without being pushy, and he gave me keys to a car to let me go on a second test drive all by myself. Didn't even ask to photocopy my driver's license. The impression I got at the Toyota dealer is that Scions don't generate much dealer profit with the fixed pricing system, so there's not much interest in selling them. If this attitude is common, it could hurt Scion sales in the long run.

Back to my original MPG question. If the automatic only gets 1 MPG better than the manual at, say, 70 mph on highways, paying $800 more for the automatic doesn't save me any money. Using 36 MPG for the automatic and 35 for the manual, the difference is only $300 at $2.50 a gallon at 150,000 miles. This leaves $500 for clutch repairs when needed.
    The ride isn't rough...and I've got 38 psi air in the tires, too. But yeah, when I hit a good-sized rut, I feel it....this isn't a Lexus LS430.

Ummm...I have a 2006 and with the manual trans. the power is more than adequate...I just put it in the left lane and go as fast as I dare....80-85....

I think that with the automatic say going uphill at higher altitudes, you could be pressed for power, definitely....but on the flats at sea level, I don't see an issue with the automatic. You might on occasion have to shift it manual but this is good advice for any automatic car....newer automatics seem very lazy at times to downshift properly, especially if they are in OD.

The xA feels as fast as my Alfa Romeo was (the Spider, not the 164 sedan).
    On my xA test drive I didn't try to redline it; does anyone know what rpms the automatic shifts at? In other words, if both the manual and the automatic have the engine at 3,500 rpms at 80 mph, there's not much of a difference in highway MPG, right?

I'm thinking of how my ex-wife's manual Subaru Forester was geared -- I remember it being geared very low with high rpms on the highway. Fifth gear was basically overdrive. I had no objections to that.
  • cdoccdoc Posts: 41
    I just purchased my xA Friday and my experience at the dealership was perfection. The car I wanted wasn't in stock, but they got in exactly on week later. I'm very happy with the car xA. It's small, but only on the outside. Once inside I feel like I'm driving something much bigger. There is plenty of room for four passengers, even in the back seats if someone who is not too tall is sitting in the front. I'm also surprised with how high I sit, higher up than most sedans, at about the same level as a Subaru Forester. The only disadvantages I've found are they ones all of you are pointing out: small amount of trunk space and the nagging feeling that there should be a sixth speed.

I call it my mid-life crisis car. My wife thinks I'm crazy.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    the Scion xa is just the kind of car America needs right now. I have one on my futures list right now along with either a Kia Rio LX sedan or a Kia Rio5. Great gas mileage and fun to drive.

I haven't test drove the 2006 Kia Rio's yet but did test drive a 2006 Polar White Scion xA with a 5-speed tranny. Good little cruise and a very "solid" feel to the little car, really. Let me put it this way: the cars on my list get me excited about driving. That's it!

You're right, one does not feel "down low" in a Scion xA. Rather, you're up and seeing out very well. A nice, nice rig that I remain interested in buying. It's a real battle between Kia and Scion for my next rig. For now, my 2001 Kia Sportage is plowing through eastern Idaho's winter so well that we can't see need to part with it. :D

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

can anyone tell me do you think buying the extended warranty is worth the extra money? i will try to keep the car , i put about 10 or 12,000 miles on a year . i know the first 3 years is all covered, and the power train is for about 5 . i would like some ones feed back , just trying not to miss something . thanks
  • cdoccdoc Posts: 41
    It depends on how much the extended warranty costs and money you have to spend. I've never purchased an extended warranty on any new car, and I've driven them over 140K miles each - one 210K miles - without anything serious going wrong. Also, it doesn't sound like you'll put that many miles on your car. The best thing to do is take care of the car: change the oil every 3-5K miles, keep up with scheduled maintenance, check your fluids regularly, drive responsibly, that sort of thing.
  • driley99driley99 Posts: 5
    When I was told by dealership my 15K service on xA was going to be $300, I went to my regular mechanic who did the warranty service required for MUCH less and he caught something I feel should have been found at the 5K rotation--a nail causing a slow leak.

The manual is confusing, but I've heard that as long as I get the service done, the warranty is in effect. The manual says that too, but also says elsewhere that getting the services done outside Scion dealership "doesn't necessarily void warranty"...talk about confusing. :confuse:

Any thoughts?
    $300 is a rip. Should have been about $160, even from a dealer. That's what they charge for the 5K in San Francisco.

The warranty rap is giving them some wiggle room. Basically Scion would have to prove that the outside service you got caused a mechanical failure....like if your oil filter fell off in the middle of the highway or they put your brakes on backwards....
    how do you feel about using synthic oil ? i know toyota has problems with oil gelling . or do you feel changing your oil every 3000 miles would prevent gelling .