Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac GTO

Comments

• sputterguysputterguy Posts: 383
    I believe I've heard the whistle. I think it's coming from the air intake. I've been meaning to check out the air filter to make sure it's seated properly.
  • dclark2dclark2 Posts: 91
    "Is there ANY documentation on this steering rack change for 2006?"
    I don't know the part numbers but it is different. In fact, it is so different that some CAI that were made for the '05 will not fit the '06 because of changes to the hose and pump.
    If you can see an '05 and a '06 side by side, you'd probably be able to tell.
  • sssstsssst Posts: 21
    When you say "Good Ones" are you talking your typical assembly line issues or is (or were) there some real clunkers coming off the GTO line? How bad is bad? Anything I should look out for before I put down the bucks?
  • Regarding the instant mileage read-out. When the car stops it changes from miles/gallon to gallons/hour, so it never goes to zero.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,904
    roadrunner roadrunner goin 90 miles an hour:
    - the word "weak" definitely does not apply to 05 goat brakes. recently my fronts do pulse, rotors probably a bit warped/uneven-wear. replacing them ain't gonna be cheap, so i'm just going to live with the pulsing for now.
    - mine is an M6 but i remember my one 4L60E Z28 doing the same pulsing idling thing you are describing. the M6 goat bucks around a little bit at idle too. think of it as a good thing, a "hot cam" - like a racehorse snorting & ready to GO.
    Sounds like a muscle car to me!
  • white6white6 Posts: 588
    Folks, what he's talking about is not cam rock. I know exactly what he' referring to, and it aint "normal operation." It's a hum or vibration that sweeps through the car in a rythmic pulse. My 04 A4 does this, but only in warm weather. In temps below 40 degrees or so, it idles perfectly fine. As temps rise, the vibration starts. With summer temps in the 90s, the vibration becomes constant (not rythmic); it feels like a big magic fingers bed and the dash actually begins to hum along. Dealer solution was to hang some weights off the exhaust pipe to help dampen the vibration. Reduced to about 80%; treated the symptom, not the cause.
    That is good to know seeing as I am looking for a new 06 now. No idea of what is causing it? Is it just in the automatics?
  • sputterguysputterguy Posts: 383
    They are few and far between but there are some clunkers out there. And it's not so much that they have problems it's that GM does so little to fix them that they end up in worse condition than if the problem had been addressed properly in the first place. But the car is so much fun that only the worst problems can spoil the experience.
  • thanks for the reply. since i have put about 150 miles on it the engine is running smoother and not pulsing as much. did i mention that the car sat for 2 months before it was sold? i also topped off the tank with fresh gas. in any event its clearly runs better. but, to me, the brakes are average in power assist.
    best wishes, roadrunner. btw, i think all these cars sat for at least a couple months before being sold - it's a slow boat ride from Australia to here...
    Your car had old gas and that'll make it run weird.
    My '06 gto had a rough idle when new, but it went away after 1000 miles. Remember, the car is brand new and the pcm is still getting use to everything ("learning").
  • emd567emd567 Posts: 15
    Your instant milage readout will go to zero, if you pull more then 99.9 miles per gallon. I have it happen to me on my drive to work on a steep hill. The readout can't handle 3 digits to the left of the decimal, but the computer will still figure the jump in mileage to the avg MPG.
    Onto another question: How is the rear bumper done? I was rear ended at slow speed(just scrathed the paint) but I am concerned about what I can't see. Does the GTO have the composit foam/steel bumper? I went all over the car looking for signs on bent panels, but did not find any, so I am just worried about what's under the bumper cover.
  • emd567emd567 Posts: 15
    I have just received the "GTO magizine", and I do like the inset grill, and the change in the lower grill. How much does this cost, and can I do the work? The rear cover looks good also, as it gets rid of the "GTO" that the stock piece has.
  • I just bought my 2006 GTO about 3 months ago. I am looking for a good exhaust system. I want a system that delivers performance, but no too much noise. Don't get me wrong, I want it loud, but not too loud. I have seen 3 different manufacturers with systems, but none have audio clips. Some of these systems also come with an X-pipe. Please let me know which I should choose, and if doing the X-pipe at the same time is smart. I am willing to deal with a louder exhaust if the performance is there.
  • i'll look behind the bumper tomorrow and let you know. rr70
  • elkiiielkiii Posts: 50
    You are probably better off investing in one of the performance tuning kits that re-program the engine management system (or find a shop that can do it for you) than the typical CAI and exhaust mods. At the very least you won't see as much gain as you might without re-programming.

There may be some aftermarket kits that supply exhaust,CAI, and ECM mods that are optimized for the entire kit. I'd look into those first if you really want to increase performance. You're likely to be dissapointed with just an exhaust mod.
    I wouldn't bother. The GTO already has a good flowing exhaust and it has a great sound- why mess with it?
    Over at ls2gto.com, a lot of people have been disappointed with replacing the stocker.
    Power gains have been limited to around 5 hp and some have had drone problems.
    I think audio clips are irrelevent. You need to ride in a car with the exhaust. Paying $700+ for an exhaust that has a conversation drowning drone is not my kind of a bargain.
  • there is a full plastic panel in the rear. can't see behind the bumper. but likley that there is foam there. rr70
    regarding getting crunched from the rear.
    there is *not* foam under the bottom rear bumper piece, i can tell you that for sure. probably foam/honeycomb behind the upper bumper cover though.
    consider the aussie rear bumper bottom piece - it doesn't say GTO - it's just flat black plastic. looks good with the cyclone gray, anyway, better than the factory pontiac part imho.
    Tell me on the Pontiac Ground Effects kits...Do they replace the excisting bumpers or do they fit over them?
    M
  • usa2usa2 Posts: 14
    Does anyone know a web site or any other way to find out how many cars they have sold for a given model year?
  • Here you go:

2004 = 15,728
    2005 = 11,069
    2006 = 2,576 (through 3/31/06)
  • usa2usa2 Posts: 14
    Is there a site that sales numbers can be researched for other vehicles?
  • this tells me that you should hold on to the gto. it will not go down much in value and it may go up, even in the short run. rr70
    the call to the Jorge dude at GM caused someone there to open a case. the rep has called me back a few times and tells me that GM HQ is offering to pay for the alignment after i send them copy of service record & proof of payment. pretty cool.
    i didn't ask them for this at all - i was only trying to provide data to Jorge re "strut rub" .
    btw, dealer did re-align it and steering wheel is centered now at least.
  • brlz28brlz28 Posts: 3
    Since the word is the GTO will be back in '08 are there any concept photos or has anything been released yet? or just rumors?
  • mparis1mparis1 Posts: 107
    come on fellows.... we know it is over... our GTO IS THE LAST RIDE................no way will debt-ridden GM put out 2 rear-wheel high powered v-8s....camaro and gto...The world has changed.... gas will cost $4,5,6 soon in the future ...no relief until alternative fuels/ethanol/ nuclear power comes on board............who will buy cars that get 10mpg..or cost $6.00 to go a mile.... no young guys can afford that...then the insurance...then the gas guzzler taxes....the GTO WILL BECOME LIKE FERRARIS/LAMBOUGHGHIS.....VERY COSTLY/ EXCLUSIVE.......not more the mass-market so GM will pass ... the market[guys] like us are getting to OLD to drive them...living on pensions and need high-mileage cars.... mid-life crisis guys will not be able to indulge themselves so the Last Muscle Cars are ours.... the last crisis muscle cars disappeared but came back 20 years later.......and only a handful were made............but now FORD AND GM are in dire financial straits.......it makes no sense for low mileage muscle cars...it is a bad business decision....different car will be made ...hybrids/etnano/ hydrogen...SO ENJOY.....my dilemia is whether to buy at the end of my lease or not? this will be the Last Ride :confuse:
  • aldencabotaldencabot Posts: 7
    Just returned from a trip to Dubai, United Arab Emirates (across from Iran, next to Saudia Arabia on the peninsula)..
    One nice thing : tons of GTO's -- badged as Chevy Impala SS's ... I spoke with one local who told me that the SS is the LS1 5.7 and the plain ole' S is a 6 cylinder. Monaro front end makes them look better than our Pontiac kidney front ... which is my least favorite part of this glorious car.

The cars look great and gas is cheap ... I just loved spotting "GTO's" on the street almost every day. Even here in Los Angeles, passing another GTO on the road is a rare occasion worthy of celebration.

People are poor drivers in Dubai. Lots of serious tailgating and foolish lane changes. Dubai has the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world -- but those GTO/Monaro?Impalas look fantastic.
  • mparis1mparis1 Posts: 107
    P.S. ...got the math wrong....$6.00 per gallon =10miles per gallon gives us .60cents per mile...still pretty expensive.