Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac GTO

Comments

• montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    Moonroof? Good if there, but everything I have read said the only choices for the car were color and transmission. Thanks for the info.
  • When I wrote that post I didn't have the info. with me. I checked and it DOESNT have a moonroof.

Sorry
    Bummer, nothing like letting the fresh air in. In spring mans thoughts turn to sunroofs.
  • obiwanobiwan Posts: 57
    A sunroof wouldn't be a bad option. But only if it was the kind that slid under the roof instead of sticking up and out like so many cars these days. There's just something wrong with a big plate of glass hanging off the back of the roof.

But when I'm really in the mood to enjoy the spring days, I take the old Jeep for a ride. No top or doors. I can even fold down the windshield when I'm off road. That's hard to beat.
    Thanks. Will make the ride home in the mini-van so much more fun. As far as roof go, the above roof types are anywhere from 20% to 30% less then the in roof type and aren't the headroom robbers. I am sure there are also engineering and assembly issue involved too.
  • Here are the dimensions to the GTO:

Wheelbase 109.80
    Overall lenght 189.80
    Overall hieght 55.06
    Body Width 79.26
  • cougar67cougar67 Posts: 11
    Aviatorman, that width sounds too large. Could it be that it includes the mirrors? Most (but not all) width measurements in brochures do not include the mirrors, but this one must. Otherwise, it would be as wide as a Marauder! Thanks.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Does sound too wide if it is basically a coupe catera chasis
  • I double checked and it is 79.26.
  • jemillerjemiller Posts: 183
    That must be an over-the-mirrors dimension.

Everything I can find on the Commodore and Monaro says 72.5in.
  • truspeedtruspeed Posts: 4
    I saw a GTO at the Chicago Auto Show and was somewhat unimpressed, I admit I am not a pontiac fan at all but the GTO has a powerful name and drew my attention, I was expecting something more agressive and ballsy looking like the old ones, this one looks rather tame though, I dont think i would give it a second glance on the road not realizing what it was. I heard also that they will be made in very limited numbers, dont know if thats true, but anyway, it was the best looking pontiac I have ever seen(and that aint sayin much)
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    I think it will accelerate quite well. After all the Monaro (with Lingenfelter engine) has been giving M5 a run for its money.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,597
    Both Autoweek and Automotive News reported that Pontiac partisans are up in arms about the bland styling of the new GTO. Lutz issued a statement that was along the lines of "Hey we got you a new Goat with real performance in a short time. Give us time and you'll get the styling." (paraphrase, not exact quote).

One Pontiac fan website went so far as to remove the picture of the new Goat from it's home page and replace it with a new <gasp> Mustang.

Like most of you I have yet to see the GTO but I am disappointed in the photos I've seen thus far which make the car seem like a larger Cavalier.

Like the complainers I think there ought to be more GTO identifiers. on the car--twin hood scoops, dual splitter exhausts etc. At least the did get the engine badges on the flanks (I miss those!)

I'll give you my further opinions on the styling after I've seen it @ the NYIAS in three weeks.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

There are a lot of whiners out there. But how many of them will pony up and buy a real performance car from Pontiac? People can cry all they want but only those who buy the cars will ultimately affect what happens.

If you look at the GTO in 1964, you could barely tell it apart from the rest of the box-on-a-box style cars of the day. In '68 when they did the flowing c-pillar design, you'd have to have an eye for detail to tell it apart from cars like the LeMans, Chevelle, Cutlass, and other GM cars.

The GTO was always about dropping a hot motor in an average midsize coupe. Sure it may have had a couple different paint colors. Or maybe a few distinctive stripes. But it was nothing more than a midsize with a big engine.

Consider the alternatives coming from GM. Would you rather have the outdated, obese, mullet-mobile look of the F-body? Or see the GTO covered in gaudy plastic? GM has come a long way since Lutz took over. And it's only getting better.

The show car right now has true dual exhaust but because of the gas tank in the aussie version, they both exited to one side. Now that the tank is moved for the USA, expect to see the exhaust rerouted.

Besides, if you're really hung up on style, just wait and buy the SLP products when they come out. They'll be producing a hood with scoops, etc. That is, if you're actually going to step up and buy one.
    obiwan's got it exactly right. Like I said before, *what* ballsy old GTOs? They were base-model junk Tempest coupes. Some people are off in dreamland.

The last thing I want is another piece-of-crap Plastiac like the old Firebird/Trans Am. The new GTO is a step toward real cars, and away from the snap-together scoop-laden Transformer junk that's been Pontiac's standard operating procedure for the past twenty years.

The cheap-tacky-over-the-top Pontiac image is the biggest weakness to the GTO/Monaro. I'd have preferred that GM just sell it as a Holden. Better a nameplate with no image than a nameplate with a bad image.
    Of the original GTO, at least thru '68 was that it so closely resembled an ordinary LeMans and was thus something of a sleeper. The styling changes were subtle, nothing like the outrageous
    boy-racerness of late model trans-Ams and GPs.

The LeMans was quite a good looking car for it's day, tho it looks today like a family sedan. You had to look carefully to see the GTO styling cues. IMO it should be that way on the new ones, personally I'd skip the wing.

• d2000one1d2000one1 Posts: 47
    People, please... get a grip. If you want retro styling, go buy a Ford. It seems like the only hits they can have is with cars with retro styling. I think the GTO is hot!!!
  • funkcityfunkcity Posts: 100
    Well....

I saw at the LA Auto Show.
    I had been following the story... Lutz get hot car from the Aussies with Detroit Powertrain etc...

But the GTO has heritage and the auto companies seem to forget about that ALL THE TIME!

They could have let their designers... Under-utilized well-talented designers have at it and develop a killer body.... and they could have done it in record time.

But for some reason there just ain't no soul in the Motor City coming from GM!!

The GTO is a classic. It deserves at least SOME styling cues from the past.
    64,65,68,69,70 just take a look.
    Look at the split grill of the 66,67. Look at the grill inserts.Look at the hood scoop for godsakes! Look at the special horizontal tail lights. Look at the dual exhausts!

Oh BTW, you have to by an Acura TL to get dual exhausts!
    Puleeze are there no car nuts left at GM at all???... Or has corporate beurocracy killed the new GTO?

Lets see what the hi-po CTS V-series sedan (although extremely fugly) will bring.
    Bob will have to do a lot of work to undo a lot of years of GM's "Not Getting It"! But it just might not be enough soon enough.... He had better get his former PTCruiser design crew on the stick and quick!
    John DeLorean made a lot of mistakes.

His GTO was NOT one of them.

A far out thought:
    Maybe Lutz could hire Delorean as a consultant.
    Yeah just one more consultant, or....

Shelby Cobra, Mustang GT, GT-40
    Duntov Corvette
    DeLorean GTO....It just plain fits.

Ha....just dreamin!!
    I'll bet the new Mustang outsells the "Goat" by a huge margin, and not just on price.

...is that the GTO is not a new car. It's a Monaro, and that there was no time (even if anyone wanted to) to change the shape.

The old GTO was a perfectly decent-looking car for its day, but it was nothing special. Take one standard Tempest body, add some red paint and maybe a hood-mounted tach, and that's it.

Also remember that the new GTO program started about the time Lutz was wandering the halls reorganizing GM design in the US. Whether because GM had fundamentally hired a bunch of true incompetents, or because what decent designers they had were working for management who had no eye for design, the only decent-looking US-market product GM had shipped in the past ten years was the C5. Had US GM taken a whack at the GTO shape, the thing might well have come out looking like an Aztek coupe or a CTS, and *that* would have been a tragedy.

Yes, the new Mustang will outsell the 'Goat' by a big margin. On price. And they'll mostly be six-cylinder high-school-girl cars - that's where the Mustang's bread-and-butter has always been.

The problem is, Ford's busy throwing all the decent mechanicals in the garbage can to meet their lowball price targets. Stick axle in back? Good God, we've waited twenty years for a new Mustang and what they're coughing up is the same old junk?

The Monaro/GTO is a long way upmarket from any Mustang. It's a bigger, roomier car that will go out the door with all the good stuff already in it. I just hope there's an LS6 version...
    Three Deuces and a Four Speed and a Three Eighty Nine da, da, da…

The GTO is as American as Apple Pie.
    Marinara or Linguine, GTO or Grand Am, Fiero or Accord….
    or whatever the Ausies built,
     I just have to say,
     It&#146;s a nice car but it ain&#146;t no Goat.

Lutz said: &#147;
    &#147;We wanted a modern interpretation, with a really slick chassis to go along with a big engine,&#148; Lutz wrote. &#147;We really would like to draw NEW customers, rather than traditionalists.&#148;

Well Bob. . .Mission Accomplished!

Well it seems that www.ultimateGTO.com also had some issues with the new GTO.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=06513698
    Cry me a river.

Build a bridge.

Get over it.

So you don't like that the GTO doesn't meet your expectations. If you're so smart and so knowledgable about how it SHOULD be done, why not come up with your own design? Why not apply for a job at GM and become a designer?

Stop being couch quarterbacks. Either put up or shut up.
  • Yes Andys120, I am sure the Mustang will out sale the GTO because GM is only importing 18,000 a year.
    You hit the nail on the head.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    I happen think its nice that all the old musclecar freaks probably don't like the new GTO.

Who gives a rats about em. Let up hang out in their pole sheds drinking 4 dollar a case beer, taking apart their late sixties musclecar for the 24th time, listening to steppenwolf and molly hatchet on a cassette or 8track, waiting for their old buddy to bring over the mary jane.

Considering all the complete crap Pontiac has thrust on the public for 20+ years now, its ok for them to produce something kinda unique to the brand. Maybe they can bring some new customers into the brand, and grow the brand some, and try and it will help repair its mullet / trailer park image at the same time.

Pontiac needs different right now. All those old GTO bangers who don't like the new car can go rot in their pole sheds.
    You've got different groups out there.

First, you've got the guys who all they care about is a big engine and a cheap pricetag. These people had their shot. GM built the last Camarobird specifically for them - it was, for all of its cut corners and embarrassingly bad detail quality, a hell of a lot of high-end mechanicals (LS1 engine, T56 transmission, Torsen, the best stick-axle chassis Detroit's ever done) in a really cheap package.

But it didn't sell - or, more correctly, the cheap V6 high-school-girl version didn't sell well enough to keep the big-engine version around. And, since the Camarobird had no other RWD passenger cars to share parts with (okay, a few S-10 truck bits) it had to live or die on its own sales.

That's always been the truth behind the 'ponycar' myth - if it'd just been for the cars everyone remembered - the SS396, the Z28, the Boss 302 - the Camaro and Mustang etc. would never have existed. It was the six-cylinder and two-barrel-V8 cars (not to mention all the Novas and Falcons built with the same parts) that paid the rent.

The old GTO was a musclecar, but it was not a ponycar, and the new one continues that positioning - it's bigger and roomier than a Camarobird or Mustang (though not any heavier than an '03 Mustang Cobra and its iron-block 4.6.)

Then you have the bigger-is-better contingent, some of whom seem to think the Mercury Marauder is a 'musclecar'. No comment.

Finally, there's maybe a few people like me, who used to be big Detroit-iron fans - then we discovered BMWs and so forth and aren't prepared to go back to the junky chassis and flabby seats that marked Detroit's heyday. What we really want is a near-BMW with a big pushrod V8 (and no Chris Bangle aesthetics.)

The Monaro does have one thing in common with the early GTOs and other musclecars, that the Camarobird and Mustang do not - it shares a platform and running-gear bits with the rest of the Holden Commodore line. The Commodore SS, in fact, is the same basic mechanical package in a sedan. It is, of course, what a 2003 Impala SS should be, had GM not splattered the Impala name on the FWD rentacar that currently wears it.
    your next to the last paragraph was dead on correct.

Chris Bangle, maybe he designed all his bimmers on a 'Manic Monday'.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    The styling is a little bland and somewhat plain.
    Not sure they need to go so far as putting the twin hood soops on, but maybe a gill(sp?) in the lower front fender just behind the front wheel might help things a little.
    I also think some work needs to be done on side back windoews between the b pillar and c pillar.
    It doesn't blend well with flanks of the rear fenders.
    lets leave all the childish hood scoops and junk for the aftermarket.

Its refreshing to see a domestic that isn't all garbaged up like Mustangs and Camaros. Who wants that junk?