Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Vibe Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gary_ggary_g Posts: 13
    I decided to buy a 1.8L, FWD, 2008 Vibe a few weeks ago and just closed the deal yesterday, 4/28. I live in Baltimore, MD.

I went on Edmunds.com and was contacted by a dealer who really wanted the business. At my request, he provided me a list of cars in a 200 mile radius that met my criteria of manual transmission and minimum bells & whistles. There were several colors that I did not like because of the 2-tone look with the dark grey plastic body molding that wraps around the bumpers and wheel wells. There weren't many cars with a "B57 Premium Monotone Package" either, so Moonstone (charcoal grey) looked best with the grey plastic body molding.

The car has no PCM Preferred Package, which is fine with me, but it does have JM4 Antilock Brakes.

MSRP was $17,920. The original offer from the dealer was $15,612 plus taxes, tags, and $100 processing fee. Final deal was $14,612 plus taxes, tags, and $100 fee. He found another $1000 from a "conquest rebate" which I needed a '99 or newer vehicle in the household to qualify for.

This will be my first GM product. I bought it because it is a Matrix twin and I like hatchbacks.

I think that buying with only 3 days left in the month helped my pricing.

I pick up the vehicle, 4/30, the last day of the month of April.

I think I did very well.
  • ssampierssampier Posts: 3
    I test drove a 2009 Pontiac Vibe with 2.4L 1sb engine, 5 speed auto, with preferred package and sun and sound package (along with air and 17" aluminum chrome clad wheels). The dealer experience was great; a lot better than the Mazda dealer. Sheeze, you think I was trying to steal their baby or something.

The dealer offered a little less than $300 over invoice for it. I decided to fax bid the process as suggested by Motley Fool and Edmunds articles. I declined the Edmunds service since it listed only one dealership. I didn't see an option to expand the search :confuse:
  • vesterosvesteros Posts: 1
    Senior (70 years old) in need of all the help I can get.
    I was offered the following 2 new cars with 1.8 engines.

Car 1
    08 vibe msrp $16810.00, inv $15885
    AYO airbag package $745 inv $655
    B57 premium monotone package $350 inv $308
    MXO auto 4 speed $850 inv $748
    PCM preferred package $850 inv $748
    QD2 16 inch aluminum wheels $440 inv $387

Total model and options $20045 inv $18732
    Destination charge $585
    Lam dealer cont $200
    Lam group cont $200

They want $19818
    Fees $264
    Tax $1639
    Gross price -----------$21721
    Rebate---------------- $2000

Out the door $19721

Car 2
    08 vibe price $18488
    Fees $274
    Tax $1529

Gross price $20265
    Rebate $2000

Out the door --------------------------------------$18000

Car is basic with auto Tran, regular wheels and preferred package.
    All advice welcome

Thanks
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 923
    Those aren't "new" cars; they are 1 year old now. Seems like your salesperson is acting like they are '09s. Should be a discount for that. See post #270 on this discussion. It sounds more like Matrix pricing. What part of the country are you in?

On the other hand, small cars are in demand right now and it can be hard to find Vibes even used.
    I was able to get $3500 off of sticker price for my '08 Vibe (plus tax and tags).
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    These 08 vibes were cleared out the last few months for 4000-4500 or more off msrp. The first deal seems like about a 2500 off deal, the second (if 18488 is msrp with dest) about a 2000 off deal. Pass.

The new pontiac 09 vibes are plentiful, have abs standard and a few other minor things standard, and are about 1000 less in msrp all considered. (they reduced the msrp $600 I believe) . You may be able to walk in and get almost an 800 or 1000 off msrp deal (200 over invoice) and come close to equalling the deal you have with the 08's on a 09 with no problem. Better yet an 09 is a really new car, A 1400 off msrp deal on an 09 would almost exactly equal the deal you have on the 08. (actually much better as the 08 is worth close to 3000 less as it is almost a year old.)

You seem internet literate. If you feel froggy Put out a request for bids from 5-15 dealers from the pontiac website (pontiac.com) within 30-50 miles of your home with your specs colors etc. last week of the month. Perhaps try toyota as their dealers are more numerous and it is the same vehicle. Work with the top 3 or so over the phone. Don't wear yourself out in the heat. Shoot for 1000-2000+ off msrp. See what happens.

If you don't feel like it an 800-1000 off msrp deal on an 09 vibe 1.8 beats what you have on the 08s .

Good luck
    --jjf

Senior (70 years old) in need of all the help I can get.
    I was offered the following 2 new cars with 1.8 engines.

Car 1
    08 vibe msrp $16810.00, inv $15885
    AYO airbag package $745 inv $655
    B57 premium monotone package $350 inv $308
    MXO auto 4 speed $850 inv $748
    PCM preferred package $850 inv $748
    QD2 16 inch aluminum wheels $440 inv $387

Total model and options $20045 inv $18732
    Destination charge $585
    Lam dealer cont $200
    Lam group cont $200

They want $19818
    Fees $264
    Tax $1639
    Gross price -----------$21721
    Rebate---------------- $2000

Out the door $19721

Car 2
    08 vibe price $18488
    Fees $274
    Tax $1529

Gross price $20265
    Rebate $2000

Out the door --------------------------------------$18000

Car is basic with auto Tran, regular wheels and preferred package.
    All advice welcome

Thanks
    I just purchased and took delivery of my 2009 Pontiac Vibe. I think I got a good deal. Optional features include preferred package, sun and sound package, automatic transmission with tap control, air conditioning, and 17 wheels with chrome. Price was $20,173 (before taxes, title, and document fee). They messed up and gave me a $500 rebate I wasn't eligible for, so they gave it to me anyway.

As mentioned the buying experience from test drive to financing was super. I am quite happy with it. My first brand new car. :shades:

My only gripe is the dark cloth can get quite hot (high 80's here in Utah). I was thinking of getting lighter colored aftermarket seat covers. Any others suggestions?
  • tyac77tyac77 Posts: 2
    how much off of the MSRP list did you get? thanks
  • trashfishtrashfish Posts: 3
    :mad: I have been searching for a Vibe (with all the bells and whistles) for MONTHS...now intensely, the past 2 weeks. (need it fast!)
    Almost EVERY used one( 2005-07) I have found within 75 miles (of savannah Ga) has either been from a rental-lease program (Popular with rental companies?!) or had been "injured" (unspecified).
    ANd not one was under 15,000!!! (oops... I found a 2006 for 14,999 with 25,000 miles...turned out it had been in a wreck...and the dealer would not budge below 14,500!!!! A 2006!!!
    SO..I decided I could get a brand new one for maybe 3000 bucks more ...why buy someone else's problem?

HA! EVERY Vibe (2008) within a 100 miles is GONE as soon as I or one of the local Dealers locates it. Found one (A Dealer found it) in N.C. for 21,500 loaded, Sun & Moons,6-CD, On Star, Pref Pkg, ABS, White, etc...so with $2000 rebate, including tax, all the paper BS, destination fee, etc, the "out the door" is 20,445 or so! Holy Moly!!!

(SUV prices! )
    ANYWAY...decided to jump on that one, emailed the dealer to try to get it for me...no response back. Am almost certain he can not get it now...been 3 days while I decided. I took too long!
    One dealer found one on a dealer's lot in North Ga...tried to get it (trade one of his) for me...the dealer refused to trade it to him.

What is going on? A shortage of '08's?
    I do NOT like the 09's...only good thing about them is the standard features that were options on the 08's...
    DURN!!!....they discontinued that great independant hatch window! Great useful feature. Wonder why?
    And 09's have bigger piller blind spots now.

So.am up a creek.....I now need this car THIS week ...am about to give up on a Vibe.. A local dealer does have a loaner 2008 on his lot (3000 miles on it) white (color I want) power and auto, but no sunroof or ABS...18,000 out the door.(After 2000 rebate)!!

SHEESH!!!! EVEN EBAY is short on these!

HELP!!!

Also...question...can the Vibe pull a small boat????? I have to relinquish my truck Friday (someone hit it and totalled it!) and was hoping the Vibe could do it all...cargo and occasionally the little boat. (Under 1000 pounds).????????

Otherwise I may have to consider a CR-V or Highlander....sigh.
    Thanks!!!
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    Trashfish: Why not check out the Toyota Matrix...It seems there are plenty of them available and that and the Vibe are "Twins"...same motor, etc. Go to Fitzmall.com and check out the prices and then make a deal locally!!!!!
    All the 2008 vibes were sold heavily for about 4000 or more off msrp the last 3 months. Very few left. Probably the same for 08 matrix. Many of the 19500 vibes 08 went in the 15000's last month or two. For the new Vibe, I would want at least 1500-2000 off but with the run on hi mpg vehicles the dealers are working the trout while they are running.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • trashfishtrashfish Posts: 3
    :shades: Thanks both of you!

I finally caved today..panic mode since my current vehicle goes to the insurance co in a few days.
    Drove a 2004 GLSTurbo Jetta wagon that was SWEET...almost got it ($$$13000/ 39000 miles)...BUT cannot pull a boat and heard VW Service is high cost$$$ as are the Jettas. So...ran back to the Pontiac dealer.

There are almost ZERO '08 Matrix's here as well.
    I like the Vibe's design much better. (09's stink)

So...I called the local Vibe dealer back...he put me in a "loaner" (2000+ miles...mostly geriatric Caddy owners (Its a Cadillac-Pontiac Dealer) and not the White I wanted (It's a Blue-Grey with clad), no Sun and Moon OR ABS (WAAAA!)

BUT dropped to below $16,000. (After $$2000 rebate) so walked out the door $17,402. $3400 less than the car I tried to get...(wanted ...White, clad, ABS,Sunroof...BUT figured a sunroof, ABS and "on star" was NOT worth $3400 more!) It's HOT here and everyone I know with a sunroof keeps them closed...so, why did I want it??? NO clue.(scratchin head)

I know I could have , perhaps, gotten this '08 for a little less but I was not in the mood to haggle it more. He TRIED to sell it to me for $18,430 out the door. UH Uh.
    I'm a woman..figures he'd try that...LOL!

He refused to budge on the final price, and was going to let me walk if any lower than the $17400 (tax, etc incl). So...that was what I paid.

Hey! Gotta FULL tank of gas too!!! Hehheh!

One thing...do NOT like the interior/seat covers..DARK GREY-BLACK??? NOT so Lovely in the summer....
    going to get beige seat covers this week.

So far...love the zip and the road feel..for a small cyl.
    I am migrating from a sluggish 4 cyl auto pick up truck with NO pick up!...lol.

YAY!
  • amethisteamethiste Posts: 28
    I am interested in buying a 2009 Vibe 1.8L automatic transmission with the preferred package with the radio upgrade, A/C and anti-theft device. The dealer says it may be difficult to get in a 1.8 rather than the larger engine. But the larger engine is not as fuel efficient and would push the price over $20,000.

I've been quoted $18,762.33 in Baltimore, MD. Is this reasonable?
    "I've been quoted $18,762.33 in Baltimore, MD. Is this reasonable? "

I live in Abingdon, Harford County.
    I used Edmunds.com and was contacted by Fox Pontiac in Laurel. They sold me my '08 Vibe at $3500 below sticker.

Good luck.
    $18,762.33 is the out the door price for an 09 Vibe. Sorry I wasn't more clear. :blush:
    No Idea. Taxes vary from $100 to $1800 depending on state. Doc fees at dealerships vary from 50 to $500.

Many of the 08 vibes were cleared out for $4000 or more off msrp. An 07 used vibe in the 19000 dollar msrp range wholesales for about 12000 so $15000 or so (4000 off) is about what the new 08 was worth. For the 09's I would want 2000 off or more (plus tax title). Whether thats achieveable now with the run on hi mileage vehicles I don't know but it soon may be.

Good luck
    --jjf

18,762.33 is the out the door price for an 09 Vibe. Sorry I wasn't more clear
    Every dealership I hav e contacted is offering a GMS price that is basically $1400 of of MSRP. 09 Vibes seem to be tough to find, I may have to order one.
    MSRP is $21,300 so $1,127 off; not bad, but not great either. I probably could have done better if I had waited until the end of month (I was hoping for invoice or lower).

The dealership was great, though; no-pressure at all, ever.

I love my Vibe.
  • novanova Posts: 135
    If you look on edmunds new car pricing there is only about $1,000.00 between invoice and MSRP . I check looking up a GT model so it looks like you made a good deal. Enjoy your new car.
  • cmortoncmorton Posts: 15
    I just purchased a 2009 Carbon Gray Vibe, 2.4 litre engine, with the Preferred Package, Sun and Sound, Automatic, Air, Theft Alarm, Cargo Cover and Fog Lamps from approximately 1200.00 under sticker at Marina Motors in Capitola CA. Great dealership and the best service departmane I have ever dealt with. I got my 04 Vibe (traded in) from them.

It was the last of their initial allocation on the lot. they have been selling well thepast few weeks. Another local dealer in Los Gatos, CA has 14 Vibes at one time and a recen burst of sales has left them with 3.
This discussion has been closed.