Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Prices Paid and Buying Experience

2»

Comments

• dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    I cannot think of a gas engine and transmission combination that's more durable and long lasting than a 4.7 with a 545RFE automatic transmission. There are several around here that have reached 180K miles without any serious or expensive repairs and still going strong.

The 4.7 has a near impeccable reputation. Like most Mopar V8s they do not have a habit of excessive oil consumption. The 4.7 is a very tightly assembled engine.

Likewise the 545RFE (or 45RFE) has been an exceptionally good transmission in truck service and is the same one used behind the 5.7 Hemi.

Typical component issues for that vintage Dakota that might be affected by high mileage were ball joints, heater core & air conditioner condensers, Central Timer Modules, intermediate steering shafts (4x4 only). There were numerous complaints of premature brake rotor wear in those years.

Of course, if it is high mileage the chances are many of these areas have already had a component replacement. If you can get the repair history of the vehicle it could give you a better idea.

I know Dakotas pretty well and if the price was inline and there was no history of body damage, I wouldn't have a moments hestitation about buying one.

Good luck & best regards,
    Dusty
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    I've seen several ads for the 30000 quad cab for about 10000 off msrp. That would be a pretty good deal. Beware the "chrome clad" aluminum wheels for $895. It appears that it is rough aluminum with a chrome plastic cover. This may be the same on the Ram bighorn too.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • jboehmjboehm Posts: 44
    Any advice on purchasing a used 2007? I am finding it difficult to get "accurate" used pricing info since there are not that many that are getting traded. For instance I did find pricing on Edmunds and Kelly but NADA says that it does not have enough info. Since there are new ones still on the lots do the "Trade-in" values include any cash back offers or do I need to take that off as well?

2007 QC SLT 4x4
    4.8L Flex-fuel
    Bench seat
    Sliding rear window
    Power seat
    single CD
    Sprayed on bed liner
    step rails
    $23,300
    Avoid used 1year old cars. New cars can be had for not much more, if not less, especially trucks. You should be able to get a leftover 07 30000 msrp dakota quad cab for 20000 or so. A used 06 wholesales for about 18500. The machine you describe is about 30000 msrp.

A new 07 36000 msrp ram 1500 sells regularly for 24000. The kbb wholesale on a used 06 is about 21000 for a dealer sale price of about 23000+. You be the judge. The 08s large discounts will become larger with the holidays into next year. 07+ dodges bought new have the factory lifetime powertrain waranty too.

So my advice on a used 07 is ... don't. Duuuummmmb. Think 07 or 08 new.

Good luck
    --jjf

Any advice on purchasing a used 2007? I am finding it difficult to get "accurate" used pricing info since there are not that many that are getting traded. For instance I did find pricing on Edmunds and Kelly but NADA says that it does not have enough info. Since there are new ones still on the lots do the "Trade-in" values include any cash back offers or do I need to take that off as well?

2007 QC SLT 4x4
    4.8L Flex-fuel
    Bench seat
    Sliding rear window
    Power seat
    single CD
    Sprayed on bed liner
    step rails
    $23,300
    Thanks for the reply. I do agree with you. I priced out the vehicle new and it is only $500 more than what the dealer wants to sell me this one for. I will wait to see what the new incentives will be on Tuesday but may also wait until sprintime.
    According to Edmunds the rebates on 2007 Dakotas is $5000 customer cash. However, it also looks like there is $5000 dealer cash as well. Is this accurate? No other site, that I have found, shows dealer cash.
    It doesn't really matter what you find advertised. There is significant dealer cash on Dodge trucks for years. A 31000 Dakota (msrp) probably wholesales used in its 07 version for 18000 or less (kbb.com check it out) this figure is probably optimistic. This is what your 08 truck will trade in for in a year. You want at least $10000 off msrp on a Dodge Dakota. Preferably more. These trucks (20 mpg vehicles) move like mud and the Dakota has been particularly disappointing for Dodge. (The 1500 sells for less and undercuts it in most markets).

If you don't need towing I would look at the Honda Ridgeline or the Nissan Frontier.
    You should be able to get either in a crew cab for 21000 or so well equipped in 4wd. The Ridgeline is of excellent quality. Without the V8 definitely go for the other two.

Good luck
    --jjf

According to Edmunds the rebates on 2007 Dakotas is $5000 customer cash. However, it also looks like there is $5000 dealer cash as well. Is this accurate? No other site, that I have found, shows dealer cash.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,158
    If you bought a new Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Fiat "special edition" model in the past year or so - or if you are a dealer who sold one - a reporter would love to hear about it. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, October 10, 2012 with your daytime phone number and a brief description of the car and your experience with it.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

2»