Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• mpg5mpg5 Posts: 68
    there are always concerns. i have a few friends with passat's and one with 2.slow golf. one passat owner had 3-4 yrs of trouble free ownership before ignition coil failed. other passat owner 2-3 yrs of an APR chipped hard driven car before experiencing leaky valves. his was fixed under warranty. he swaps out APR for orig chip when going in for service. as always people complain readily when there are problems versus a trouble free ride. you have to decide for yourself what is right for you. i owned an acura that had hot start problems and my brother had 2 hondas with the same problem. good luck.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Edmunds' now has details on the 2005 Volkswagen Golf in their Future Vehicle section. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Hmmm...the new Golf is a nice looking car. It definitely looks even more bulldog aggressive than the current car. However, I was hoping they would add a little more slope to the rear window to help make it look sportier and less like a station wagon, like the original Rabbit (which I'm the proud owner of an 84 GTI). I can't wait to see how luxurious the new interior is.

Let's hope VW gets reliability right from the get-go this time and keeps prices in check. VW seems to be retreating from the economy car business that really made a name for itself. I would like to see VW bring the Polo over here so they can have a true inexpensive car again. I also hope the added length actually translates into more rear legroom, an area where the current Golf and Jetta is seriously lacking.
    "U.S. cars likely will come with a 150-hp five-cylinder or a turbo 2.0-liter four worth 200 hp."

Read more here: Volkswagen Driving Ahead With New Golf.

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    Kinda looks like the current Si hatchback, with 4 doors of course.
  • Having seen official pictures of the Mk. V Golf, I find the new model to be quite a bit uglier than the current car. It's almost like Chris Bangle (current BMW head designer) had styled the car--it looks way overstyled, and the nose design is not quite beautiful.
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    I am seriously considering the 2003 2dr Golf GL with auto trans as a get-around-town car. The safety features the car offers are unmatched in similarly priced vehicles which is a huge plus in my book. Through the research that I've done, the Golf holds up well in all areas except reliability. The 2003 issue of Consumer Reports lists trouble spots for the 2001 Golf as fuel, electrical, body integrity, power equipment, and body hardware. (No data exists for the 2002 model year, per CR.) My question to Golf owners is this: Would you choose a Golf again given the reliability experience that you have had? Any responses are greatly appreciated.
    This discussion is about the new 2005 Golf. You should copy/paste your question in our main VW Golf discussion. Someone should be able to offer you some feedback there. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    Thanks, revka!
  • I'm a proud owner of an '03 GTI 1.8t and loving it. However, I am looking forward to the new Golf V. I have already opened a separate acct. to start saving for a down payment. I want one! But I'll wait til '07 when my warranty expires. By then VW would have worked out all the bugs and the reliability should be great. Drive on hard chargers!
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    How many miles on your GTI? I am also looking forward to the new Golf/Jetta coming out. My lease expires in the Spring of '05, so I will need to make a decision on whether to risk a brand new remodeled Jetta when shopping for a car. It will be hard to resist though, because I think I will love the styling.
  • Since I purchased my car 6/28/03, I have put about 3500 miles on her. This is higher than usual, b/c I had to make two long distant trips as soon as I brought her home.

By the time I'm ready to buy a new one in '07, I should have around 75K miles.
  • I'm not sure about the headlights and the tails, but this is not radically different in design than the MK-IV. I currently own a 2000 Golf GLS TDI that I'm very happy with.

What I like about the MK-V is the extra 2.6" of rear legroom, and the independent rear suspension.

Sadly, there has been some talk over at the VW Vortex, that we won't initially get the traditional Golf when they become available to N.A. Initially there will be a Jetta sedan and a GTI hatch only. Since I like 4 door hatches and will insist on a diesel, I may be holding on to mine for quite a while.
    of the 2003 Frankfurt International Motor Show: 2005 VW Golf.

Thanks for your comments! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • First we may not be getting the normal Golf, now I see on another message board that we won't be getting the 4 cyl BMW 1 series either. Do the Germans hate us or something? Getting back at us for Iraq? Or is it the fact that all they care about is selling higher pricede cars to the CEOs we're putting in jail? With the economy here the way it is they're missing opportunities by not choosing to import decent, decently-priced cars....
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I had an 02 Jetta that was totalled, but I really liked the car. What I would like to see improved in the new MKV is rear seat room, quality control, reliability, the sloppy base suspension, and VW's attitude toward customer service.

If VW can get this one right, I will definitely consider one down the road in a couple years.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    Is it going to weigh more than the Mk 4? I can't find that information anywhere
  • srosssross Posts: 33
    There's a nice review of the next generation Golf at the 4car site www.4car.co.uk .
  • Yesterday I drove the new VW Golf V 2.0 TDI 4-cylinder with 140 bhp. It's wonderful. I can't tell you to go drive the new Audi A3 or Volkswagen Touran with the same engine, but you don't want anything else but diesel anymore after driving this car.

It has so much torque, that if you push the accelerator to deep, every start will end up with a wheelspin. (sorry for my english).

It steers so much better than the former Golf IV, I just love it! Hope it will come to the USA soon.
  • Okay, I've seen the Golf at the Tokyo motor show, and the new Audi A3 at the dealers. I owned at 01 GTI GLX, and currently own a 97 Audi A3. I thought the MK4 Golf was a better car then my current A3. But now, the new generation A3 is far more better looking then the MK5 Golf. Ofcourse.. we all know its basically the same car with different badges and shell..but A3 has the aggressive mean look. The new golf looks as if it is designed by Mazda.. like an MPV or something. Too simple.. no german quality to it. Haven't driven neither car so can't really comment. But the Golf is bargain for what it is. I can pretty much say its the safest car in its class with high-end quality materials that won't lose to audi. I mean look, compare the interior of an Mazda 3 to the Golf! mazda just doesn't impress me. Only problems is reliabilty and service( in USA) that concerns me. My GTI had too many "quality" problems, forcing me to sell it. My Audi's doing a good job with minor problems. I thought they are identical inside? wierd... not only that VW service was horrible. Having had bad experience with VW, I am leaning to getting an A3.. sorry they dont have those in america. And no, europeans don't hate americans?!..or do they? Well hatchbacks just doesn't have a great status in USA. Hatchback= cheap, dangerous and ugly. Which is so untrue IMO. So Audi doesn't wanna risk their "luxury" image in the USA.
This discussion has been closed.