Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet C6 Corvette

Comments

• starrow68starrow68 Posts: 1,142
    There was an article a year ago in one of the auto mags that said there would be 10 500hp production cars in about three years. I'm not looking for 500 hp in the next Z06 but could be close. If the tech guys can figure out the HP, they can also figure out the tranny. Then again the driver is a problem, the pro driving the Veryon at Laguna Seca last August spun it on the first lap.
  • just a comment on the rx8. in no way shape or form should the rx8 be compared to a corvette. there is a reason why all cars don't have a rotory engine in them...they blow. they are nothing but a marketing ploy just like dodge's revival of the HEMI engine. just a way to sell crap cars. Ford and Chrysler are the kings of it.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    That was random... Why don't you go post that in an RX-8 forum instead of a Corvette forum?
  • dracladracla Posts: 1
    Where can I find more info about the C6? Saw it on TV and might get one. Looking forward to having lights that don't have to pop up to come on.

A link would be very helpful.

Waving at you...
    http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2005/index.shtml

If you go to the links at the right of that page has lots of info. I'm guessing that GMBuyPower now has data up as well.
  • wsag26wsag26 Posts: 124
    the Corvette is great & the best possibly. At GM.com I watched the webcast, and saw the vehicle at all angles, for once instead of the once at a time. I loved the background music that Chevrolet put on during the show. It was cool & RETRO. If Chevrolet wants it to sell, the cars have to be sleek, sexy, and full of cool gadgets. For example, the C5 represented the lowest quality of interior: no navi system for a flagship, no new features for a flagship, not even a nice interior for the flagship. Finally, we see what Chevrolet can do once they put their minds to it..The Ford Mustang will maybe even prove competition to Chevy for the 2005 and beyond years. Chevrolet has to make the Corvette strong & powerful, and make it able to stand up to others such as Porsche, Ferrari, and the best of the world. Chevy needs to leave the other domestic supercars alone in their own world and come to the Europeans, by competing with them. With a new Ferrari on the loose, the 612, Chevrolet has to upgrade horsepower and make the Corvette lighter. The top of the line Corvette has to have distinctive engine features for top of the line kind of stuff... and finally, Chevrolet should make it mandatory for dealers to put people on an ordering list (like practically everyone is on to buy a Chevy).
    The Corvette is great, it just needs some features to have the same stuff like the big Euro super cars (Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Benz). I'm really hoping for a production Blue-Devil, though it'll never actually happen in my generation.
    "no new features for a flagship"

The C5 had Active Handling and HUD which at the time were within a year of anyone else having it. The Corvette AH system is switchable, on, off or Competition modes which is tremendous in a car some what to take to the track. The HUD is something that once I got used to it, I look for in everything I drive and am constantly disappointed.

"and finally, Chevrolet should make it mandatory for dealers to put people on an ordering list (like practically everyone is on to buy a Chevy)."

Don't follow this, what is the issue? Current allocation system keeps a low volume vehicle so that there is enough in each area to have the local service tech's get experience with the car. Without an allocation system you would have the dealers bidding against each other, now the bigger dealers lower the price to keep the allocation which is good for the buyer.

I could agree more with all the EU comments if the models that compete with the C5 were close in price or if the ones close in price were very close in performance. GM may have shortcomings but the whole package in the C5 was a great deal for the last few years. The C6 looks to be more of the same at another step up, if they have fewer new model issues than in past years.
  • Actually I disagree with wsag26, I want as few electronic gizmos as I can. Please please, no I-Drive, idiotic nav systems, DVD screens, or motorized doohickeys. These things add weight, keep breaking, and don't do much for the driving experience. Those desiring pimp-mobiles should go with Caddy.

Incidentally, my 84 vette was the worst car I ever had and my 02 Tahoe is by far the best. I think GM has come a long way... hope the C6 will be troublefree from day one. (And hope my back will last long enough for another vette.)
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    oldbiker, you are exactly right. The Vette is for pure, American performance, without all the electronic doohickeys. It also keeps it affordable, which is a key part of the Vette.

If you want a Corvette but want all that coddling stuff, buy an XLR. Or for those who need OHC. ;)
  • The XLR is priced about 50% higher than a C6. So, even with Sat-Nav the Vette is affordable, especially compared with other cars with similar performance (Ferrari Modena, Porsche 996). Sat-Nav and XM Radio add minimal weight...less than A/C, which all Vettes will have. I don't see the problem, personally. If I were going ot buy a C6 as a touring machine, I'd get Nav and other modern comforts. Why not?
  • What are people's feelings on the new interior? The Corvette has represented a great performance buy for years. You simply can't buy a better performer for $50,000. The C5's biggest downfall was that it had an interior similar to that of a $15,000 Cavalier. It appears GM has adressed the issue, although the interior isn't BMW quality it's an improvement. As far as optional Nav systems and the like are concerned, they should be available to those who want them, but the hardcore performance enthusiast should be able to opt out of them if he/she so chooses. As for me, I'd take mine in convertible form with NAV, HUD, etc. They don't add that much more weight and the 400HP and capable chassis and suspension setup provide more than enough performance.
    Seems the new Coupe with the Z51 option will have more to it than in the past which is great in my view. Lots of people want the performance although based on how many I see at the track not a lot use it. Getting the benefit of the better interior, and it does remain to be seen how good it holds up, which was the prior main issue IMO, will only be addressed by time. But, the better performance package will come at a cost where the old addition of mostly bigger sway bars didn't cost very much. Interesting to see what the take rate for the option will be compared to history when the first year gets in the book.

For example, the take on Z51 was 22/23% in non Z06's in '02 and with Z06's at 8,300 units totaled 14,400 'performance vettes' or just under 40% of Vettes sold that year. Pretty amazing since I figure most are used for touring.
  • spolk3spolk3 Posts: 1
    I just returned from the Detroit auto show and the new C6 looks very good. The car did not loose any of its personality. With 400 horses and 400 lb of torque on the standard coupe, the version of the Z06 will be able to compete easily with the Ford GT. To enter and start the car is all keyless and the 6 speed manual is now a standard feature. The automatic is optional. GM is bringing back the rust orange for one of the new colors. The run flats are still in effect, 18 in the front and 19 on the rear. But I definitely agree to wait at least one to two years before purchasing my next Vette.
    However there are internet dealers that are closing out their order lists for both MSRP and $500 off MSRP since they have enough to fill from expected first year allocations. Main early availability issue seems to be the memory of many when they only built about 10k Vettes in 1997 and the local dealers were asking big premium. Since I wasn't interested in it at that time I've got nothing to add from experience. It does seem they will make what should be a normal June/July introduction and delivery start which might support what I'll call normal production of say over 30k units.

The other factor is availability of options. Because of CAFE they limit the performance axle in the auto since it gives worse mileage. That may have some impact on the new performance package but again only time will tell.
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    I would wait for the 6-speed automatic to come out.
  • garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    "As far as optional Nav systems and the like are concerned, they should be available to those who want them, but the hardcore performance enthusiast should be able to opt out of them if he/she so chooses."

I don't consider myself a hardcore performance person and I still wouldn't want Nav on my car no matter the model.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Posts: 358
    You may have a while to wait before a 6-speed automatic appears on the Corvette.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Posts: 358
    Maybe longer for one that can reliably handle the 400+ ft/lbs of torque from the C6's engine.