Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 Subaru Legacy

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Actually, Legacy came first. The Outback variant was added and became a huge success, but still it's that model that was based on the Legacy, not the other way around.

The L/SE model was successful, the current 2.5GT was not. The L/SE did a lot of volume, not quite matching the Outback, but contributing significantly to Subaru's bottom line.

-juice
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    "what's the point of the Legacy wagon? All it is is an Outback."

Legacy costs less, looks less garish (no cladding), handles better (lower to the ground)especially in GT form, rides better.

The Outback has more ground clearance so it is better for real deep snow, or rough trails. The main difference is the "rugged" image that some people like.

I am anxiously awaiting the '05 Legacy L. If it is available without a sunroof, and the mileage improves (as it did for the Japanese model) then I may consider one. I have given up on the Mazda 6 wagon. Only available with a V-6 - which uses as much gas as some SUV's.
  • trueawdtrueawd Posts: 64
    You can and will in 05 only be able to get a H6 in the Outback Wagon and Sedan. That might be a reason, plus all the others stated...ground clearance, ruggedness, etc...
  • Personally, I could see the Outback Sedan dropped. I think the USA and Canada are the only 2 places it exists and I don't see too many of them. I just can't see the purpose, Sport Utility, sedan doesn't really fit the utility aspect which is a main part of the Outback- go nearly anywhere with all your gear.

Secondly the Legacy Wagon issue: I don't know too many people that would see it the same. They fit 2 different images for 2 different crowds. I know many people that love the Legacy Wagon but would NEVER want an Outback or have to pay for all the extra stuff it has which they would never use. My dad is one of them as well as several Legacy people I know. Therefore 2 completely different markets.

Personally I'm torn between a Legacy GT turbo Wagon and Sedan. The sedan will be a little faster, but the sleeper is a hair less. Both look excellent and can perform very well. I can tell you though considering I am driven for performance and handling beyond stock, an Outback isn't even remotely an option.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    In Britain, at least, the Legacy is now available with a horizontally opposed, 6 cylinder, DOHC/Bank, AVCS (Active valve control system) engine with 4 valves per cylinder. Or at least that is what the website says.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it will be available that way in the US or Canada, but it is in Britain.
  • trueawdtrueawd Posts: 64
    Thats' true they do have a 3.0 in other contries, but I've heard that will not happen here at least not this year.
  • I wouldn't necessarily bet anything against it.
    It's Official: 250hp, 0-60 in 5.5 seconds! :o)

-juice
  • JUICE - Now that's a lot better than 6.3something seconds.
    Where did you find out that's it's 5.5?
    Is the 250hp v4 turbo or v6 w/out?
    Just gets better everytime I read about the Legacy.
  • Ken,
    Subaru's use boxer or H4/H6 engines. The new GT is a turbocharged 2.5 liter H4.

http://www.need-desire.com/main.html

-Ian
    180 degree V; let's call it an H4, Flat 4, or Boxer 4.

That was for the Turbo. The 2.5i model gets 168hp and the same 166 lb-ft from the current engine, but with significant weight loss (including aluminum hoods on all models) it'll still be quicker, maybe high 7s with a manual.

-juice
  • I'm really happy with all the details minus the stronger 6MT which I was told was supposed to debut in the most brutal market, the U.S. I don't take the bait on the 'Reinforced' 5MT. Sounds like just the same 5MT in the XT. The design is 20 years old regardless and wasn't designed for these stresses. Considering my encounters with 5MTs and the people I've talked to who have serviced them, I am verygunshy towards any itteration of the current MT design. If it was a completely new one based on the 6MT design characteristics, maybe I'd be a bit more confidant of it.

Other than the drivetrain for the most part I'm really happy with the rest of the package.
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Sedan looks nice, but how come only 1 shot of the wagon? This is definitely something to take a closer look at.

Mark
  • Hello I'm new to the forum but, not new to Subies.
    the new 05'Legacy sedan and Wagon GT will carry the Euopean version of the STI motor and it will have hp and 250ft/t .Better chasis and better brakes will standard. If you want more info go to subaru.net or go to the international auto show web site to see more pics and specs.
  • Welcome, legacy191. Glad to have you here in Town Hall!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kenokakenoka Posts: 218
    Welcome aboard. No, the USDM Legacy GT will not carry the European version of the STi motor. It has a version of the turbocharged 2.5 liter mill found in the USDM Forester XT and the USDM STi.
  • Sorry,I got early info and found out it was wrong. The Legacy will get the 250hp version of the 2.5 that is found in the USDM STI. Again sorry about that.
  • Is it a new unit, or ported over from the WRX and/or Forrester?
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    Reinforced 5-speed manual or optional 5-Speed with sport-shift.

http://www.need-desire.com/main.html

Not too worried about the 5-speed manual. With the bleeder valve on the WRXs, this has been great on my car. Plenty of spirited driving, no issues.

Read in C&D over a year ago that the new Legacy would also try to steer WRX owners who need want a bigger vehicle / more luxury oriented vehicle. I think the new GT does this.

With Subaru still a small player, I would be surprised if the GT limited was priced above an Accord EX V6, even if it is faster and better handling. That would make the GT limited around $28K or less.
  • In the event that the '05 Legacy/Outback does not have a Nav option, could anyone recommend a 4 wheel drive sedan with a Nav system that is moderately priced - under 30k?
This discussion has been closed.