Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 Subaru Legacy

Comments

• ntk1ntk1 Posts: 57
    Hello, I am new to this message board.
    Visited a Sub dealer yesterday to look at the WRX, good performance /value but too small for me. The rep told me about the upcoming legacy turbo but had little information hence my arrival here.
    I currently have an Acura TL type S that will be returned off lease at the end of April so the expected arrival of the legacy in June is a stretch but would be worth it if the performance was good enough. I read earlier of a 0-60 of 5.5, has this been confirmed ? was this from a road test or calculated ? also does anyone know data for 0-100 and quarter mile ?
  • I'd say get a subaru and an aftermarket nav system. You can get handheld GPS systems for a few hundred bucks.

For a price comparable to something you'd get in an Audi or a Volvo, it'll set you back 500 to 1,000.
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    "I currently have an Acura TL type S that will be returned off lease at the end of April so the expected arrival of the legacy in June is a stretch but would be worth it if the performance was good enough. I read earlier of a 0-60 of 5.5, has this been confirmed ? was this from a road test or calculated ? also does anyone know data for 0-100 and quarter mile?"

- No official performance data is out yet on the Legacy. The 5.5 is from Subaru and is for the manual (though, who knows, the auto might come close). Considering that the engine is very similiar to the one in the Forester XT, and that the car should weigh about the same as the Forester XT (might be even a little less), the 5.5 secs. for the manual sounds conservative. Would expect the car to do 0-60 in around 5.1-5.3 secs. Especially since the reported power numbers on the GT are higher than the Forester, and the car has to be more aerodynamic!

Would also expect the 1/4 mile to be impressive as well.

- Usually Subaru is conservative with their acceleration numbers. They originally posted the WRX of doing 0-60 in 6.4 secs. In actuallity, the average for the WRX has been 5.7 secs.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think the Mazda3 offers a Nav option, it may be the cheapest model to do so. My guess is they probably made one for the Volvo S40, and then figured why not let Mazda sell it also, since they share a platform?

A 2 month gap is a long time, do you have a beater you could use in the interim?

The Forester XT was clocked at 5.3 seconds to 60, 1/4 mile in 13.8 IIRC. The new Legacy turbo will have 40 more horses and only weighs slightly more, so do the math.

-juice
  • This stat used to be listed in the Need-Desire.Com webstie for the Leagcy. I noticed they removed that claim around the first week of February. Hmm? Are they trying to play it safe because the automatic can't make that time. Or was it a overzealous claim? I hope the car can break the 6 sec. 0-60 mark.
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    "This stat used to be listed in the Need-Desire.Com webstie for the Leagcy. I noticed they removed that claim around the first week of February. Hmm? Are they trying to play it safe because the automatic can't make that time. Or was it a overzealous claim? I hope the car can break the 6 sec. 0-60 mark. "

- No idea, but did see the 5.5 secs on the site two weeks ago. They were advertising the WRX at 6.4 secs, even though it was uncertain the Auto could do it (still not sure if the auto can).

- The Auto for the GT might hit the 6 sec. mark for 0-60 though. More low-end torque vs. the WRX.
    They're generally conservative. They were saying the Forseter XT would go from 0-100 kph in 6.1 seconds, the production model was quicker.

I think that was SoC.

-juice
  • The 05 Legacy is an option for my next car this year however I have sat in an 04 legacy and found that it did not have enough headroom. I am 6 foot 3 and I am curious if anyone has sat in the car yet and if so is there a considerable amount more headroom in the 05 compared to 04 (04 did not have power seats and had a sunroof).
    Not sure about the change in front headroom. I can tell you the sedan has much, much better rear headroom.

I took a pic of this, lemme see if I can find it:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288069365&p=4194565477- &idx=47

It's picture 47 in that album, I think you may have to register at Imagestation.com.

I'm 6' and the rear head room leaves plenty of space above my head even with the moonroof on the sedan. The wagon is even better.

-juice
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    The Pontiac Vibe(Toyota Matrix) has an in dash DVD based Nav system, and it is available with AWD. That is the least expensive Nav/AWD I can think of.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix AWD models are terribly underpowered (of course, TRD does have a fully warranteed supercharger that you can put on the 1.8L to solve that... not sure if you can put it on the AWD version, though).

~alpha
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,406
    Actually the Vibe is much lighter than the Legacy/Outback, so even though it has less power, it is not too much slower. The advantage of the Subaru is you can get the AWD with a manual tranny which greatly helps performance. The Vibe/Matrix only have an Automatic. Neither one is a rocket, but they can certainly both keep up on the highway.

The new Turbo Subarus are another story - just plain fast.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Ive driven an older Outback, still with the 2.5L and auto, and felt it to be MUCH stronger than the non-AWD but still anemic Vibe auto.

I would call the current Outback signficantly quicker than the 123 hp Vibe/Matrix, and I would not call either of those vehicles suitable for the type of commute I will have in the near future.

~alpha
  • Just read that the 2005 Legacy will not have the 3.0 liter engine. Also, SOA is not including VDC in the 2.5GT. Those are two glaring mistakes by SOA (and GM?). If this is true I will have to look elsewhere for a car that has AWD, Stability Control, or a 6 banger. When Honda has decided to include ABS/TC/VSA, etc... as a safety measure in ALL their cars starting in '06 why can't SOA provide VDC in the 2.5GT? Go figure...outsmarting themselves out of the higher end market!
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,432
    Why can't Honda include AWD in ALL there cars as a safety measure? Subaru did that in 1996!

DaveM
  • You are right Honda could include AWD in all of their models but that is not their business model. AWD IS SOA's business model. In addition SOA has VDC in their outbacks. SOA does not need to invent anything and could include VDC in the sedans as a safety, competitive, and marketing strategy. This is actually something that could help them (i.e. don't go to Audi, VW, Infiniti, new Dodge and Chrysler (300 and Magnum), upcoming Ford and Mercury (500)). BTW the RL is rumored to be AWD. The Element, CRV, and Pilot can be had as an AWD...and so on. Only the Accord and Civic are not AWD but remember 4th gen civic wagons were AWD. Prod SOA to include VDC in the 2.5GT....it will be sad if they offer it NEXT year as part of the 3.0R option.
    Actually, I think it was 1995, Dave.

I believe ABS became standard on all Subies in 2002, when the latest generation Impreza came out.

Honda is way, waaaaaaaaay behind and finally committed to catching up - but only after remaining behind for 2 more years to come.

They are in no way the pioneer for safety equipment. Subaru pioneered AWD as standard. VW pioneered side curtain air bags and stability control on cars. Toyota pioneered stability control standard on every SUV (currently, not 2006!).

Honda remains behind the curve and hasn't pioneered squat in terms of safety features. What's amazing is their PR spin!

Having said that, I've long been asking for better availability of VDC. Like Toyota has already done with VSC.

-juice
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,432
    1995 had FWD, FWD w/ TCS and AWD.

Technically it was 1997 because in 1996 you could special order a FWD L sedan or wagon but I believe that was fleet sales only.

zoomer1 - You can ALWAYS find something that another car has standard that isn't offered on the car that you desire. It's all about compromises. FYI - AWD isn't available (or even an option) on the Insight, Odyssey or S2000 either.

And why doesn't Honda still offer an Accord or Civic wagon? After all Subaru still offers wagon versions of their compact and midsize cars. But of course that's Subaru's business model. :-)

I do agree that it would be nice to have VDC standard on all Subarus. When Subaru determines it's necessary, they'll add it.

DaveM
    I should know better than to challenge our very own encyclopedia...

-juice
  • I am assuming VDC is some kind of vehicle stability control system?? does that mean there is no traction control?? just to full blown vehicle stability control? or are the two the same? I am hoping since there is an encyclopedia in this thing I can get the answer!:)

what does VDC stand for?
This discussion has been closed.