Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    "they are cheaper to produce and majority of customer's won't even care."

until they drive the competition.

as far the Colorado, why didn't make the trailblazer in line 6 available?

I didn't mean to say the interior of the Mondeo was bloated, but that 500 looked a bit puffy. The Mondeo quite possibly has the most attractive sedan interior going, and OOPS! its not here! Ford missed it big time by not bringing over this car, even as a mercury.

And Cline telling ME I'M NOT the target. Like he's my spouse. Surely he must know my last 3 big car purchases have been Fords (2 TauriSHO and a Tbird). Or maybe he just thinks he knows. Perhpas a 500 might interest me. Not with a 3.0 Duratec under the hood. Hey cline, buy a new car already before the Impala dies, and get one with some back seat room! :P

I think its so freaking funny when others sit and tell me what is and what isn't my car.

John, have you made your mind yet on your next car or are you still waiting? There's a lot of good stuff out there, why wait any longer......

"It's "dated" when it's not on an acceptable imported car."

No, take your domestic shades off for a moment and look again. The "A6" look has been around for like 7 years now. IT'S BEEN DONE. Not offensive, sure. But not vogue. Even the current Passat is looking tired and dull. Time to get the new Passat over ASAP. The reason the A8 is bulked up and braodened was to avoid the overly clean look of the A6. BTW, the A8 is a stunning car in person. Whoever called it an 'Edsel' musta just got done putting a third coat of wax on their Lumina Euro, 89 Regal Coupe, or 93 Olds 88.

"Want something practical, Ford. For "whizz bang" get a Jaguar."

Hmmm....assuming you can't have both, practical, and a little whizz bang. Some folks can't have their cake and eat it too I guess.

I'll say this. If Ford hits with this car in the mid twenties, it will make most of GM's lineup look like junk. Bus with 25-27k stickers can't hold a candle to the 500. And the incentivemobiles can't either...even with new LeSabres selling at 19k or the like. The Ford trumps them on styling that while boring is not reviling, and its got room and the blandness factor going for it.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    GM's current full-size offerings are the biggest joke one you find without a sense of humor. Even their American luxury brand has more plastic than a Kia! To me, the 500's biggest competitor is the Kia Amanti which offers the latest safety features, a great stereo, nice inteior, superb warranty, and mroe for around 26K fully loaded. Both the 500 and Amanti have about the same horsepower so it works. I don't think people shopping in the full-size segment are looking for 250HP or more. But, that's what the latter Duratec 35 is for.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    You'd better price the Amanti again, cause it tops out just under $29,000 ($28,790 w/ Convenience Pkg, Leather, and Stability). How are the 300 and Avalon not competitors?

reg- You are bar none, the greatest at making outlandish claims. "Bus with 25-27k stickers can't hold a candle to the 500." True, in one sense, because a 2004 Malibu will top out at $25,720. However, the Malibu isnt intended to do battle with the 500, or vice versa. Additionally, for all your whining about pushrods, the Malibu will keep pace with Duratec Tauri, while returning 5MPG more in mixed driving. Personally, I agree that GMs dated large offerings wont offer much competition for the 500. That said, the Malibu is a very decent car.

~alpha
    Please, tell me where did I say the Avalon and 300 are not competitors???????????????? I said that my OPINION was that the Amanti was the biggest competitor because of its features. I NEVER said any of what you stated. OK, so I got the price mixed up..big deal. It's still a good value and I hope Ford can match it.
    "the Malibu is a very decent car."

Decent...that's it? Not even a very good, very great, outstanding, or even above average? Hmm, guess that's what decent passes for these days.. ;)
  • Whether we agree to disagree or agree to agree, the Kia Amanti IS a 500 competitor, and Hyundai will kill the 500, cause a completely redone XG is due this fall.

After all of these GM/Ford shenenigans with over pricing and copy-cat styling, I may just jump ship.

The 500 will be overpriced, and the Malibu (not a competitor, but in my league) is as well.

Rebates, NOW.
  • mikusmikus Posts: 109
    <regfootball>
    The Mondeo quite possibly has the most attractive sedan interior going, and OOPS! its not here! Ford missed it big time by not bringing over this car, even as a mercury.
    </regfootball>

They decided to bring X-Type instead. Whatever. Saw Mondeo couple of times here in San Diego, on SoCal highways it looks no less stunning as on roads of Bombay.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    "as far the Colorado, why didn't make the trailblazer in line 6 available?"

Supposedly GM stated they didn't feel the need for the I-6, since the I-5 would be more than enough. Mind you, on the sideline is the new Nissan Frontier which will sport a 4.0L V6 as well making around 250HP. So far from the reviews, critics haven't appreciated the I-5 configuration overall. They should have kept it for cars instead and get rid of the pushrods, but that's just my opinion.
  • "we'll keep the old model around, just in case" is a bunch of hooey.

Chevy has done that with nothing but bad resultls and is trying it again.

My Chevy dealer had 6 Chevy Classics (one on the floor) in stock.

When they switched from the Lumina to the Impala back in '99, they pulled the same stuff.

500s will be in rental fleets, courtesy of Hertz, before the Futura hits the streets.
  • Ford 500 is FWD or AWD; DaimlerChryCo's 300 is RWD or AWD. The 500 looks tall; the 300 long and low. Stylistically two very different animals; they don't appear as if they are meant to compete head to head.

If Ford quickly brings the 427 concept to market, THEN they will have a more direct 'answer' to the 300C.
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    The next Impala (FWD, 2006) will probably be a real 500 competitor.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Well, they are both LARGE cars that their respective companies prefer to call mid-size. I have an Impala and am shopping Five Hundred. Yep, I'd say you are right...
    Was one of the best looking Ford sedan concepts I have ever seen..then again, you don't really see many sedan concepts from Ford. I hope they bring the 427 to life, but with a big V6 and optional V8 without a V12 or whatever MONSTRER engine it had.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    "500 will be in rental fleets"

Many of your favorite Chevies are also filling up Avis, National, and Alamo lots. So what, don't like it, then don't buy it. Loyal GM buyers won't anyway.

At this point it's a crap shoot, since the Taurus will still be around. Wait and see.
  • klauscklausc Posts: 6
    This is very trying, reading about the poor power of the 3.0 Duratec. I could understand it if we lived in Germany where the minimum speed for the left lane is 80MPH. This is the land of 1000 mile day trips with a maximum speed limit of 75, and only west of the Mississippi! 0-60 times of about 8 seconds for a family car is adequet, and the real test of a car is the ability to sit in it for 8 to ten hours at a time without hurting.

I test drove a Passat with 4WD and W8 motor. The back seat room was tight, the trunk marginal at best, and the front seats made for people who weigh less than 160 lbs. It was FAST, but used premium gas and only got 18 MPG.

May the new 500 give me enough torque to haul a small boat, 5 people in comfort, start at -20 and have A/C that can handle 120F. I want to use it for cruising the Interstate, not ten minute bursts of speed at 155MPH.

BTW, Europeans don't understand our need for cupholders, they don't spend the whole day in a car to get to Grandmother's house.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Both the size and the price will matter. The Chrysler 300 series will also have a higher seating position (2.5" higher than previous models), and has very similar interior dimensions. The new Avalon may also be large, but who knows about the seating position? I was leaning heavily towards the 500, because of the size and seating position (and I like the looks), but now that I have found that a loaded Chrysler 300 with the hemi will only cost a little over $35,000 (sticker), I have put it first on my list. The base 300 will start in the low $20,000 range, so the 300 will compete with everything from 500s, Camrys, and Accords to M45s and GS430s.

2005 will be a very good year for car guys - the new Mustang, the new 500, the GT, the 300, and all of the other new models.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,508
    " test drove a Passat with 4WD and W8 motor. The back seat room was tight, the trunk marginal at best, and the front seats made for people who weigh less than 160 lbs. It was FAST, but used premium gas and only got 18 MPG. "

Huh?
    - Ray
    235 lbs. +/- and never the slightest bit uncomfortable in 20,000 miles of driving a W8 . . .
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    In the two southern states where I divide my time, AWD is not needed - ever. So we even buy 2WD SUVs and trucks here, unless you're a testosterene-deficient overcompensating male who just has to have 4WD to prove something.... Sorry, don't know where that came from. Anyway, it's good to see Ford leading out here, because in over half of North America, AWD would certainly be a great winter idea. Good article.
  • has a lot of testoterone-deficient males who need to over compensate for something. We also have lots of women that spend more on their $60K Escalades than their mortgage payments.

The pic of that Montego in the great article (thanks John) is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    I understand that Ford didn't think GM should have all the fun with the "angry applicance" designing theme! :)
  • But, John, you're too quick on the draw today.

Montego looks like one of those over-compensating males took his steel-toed workboot to the front end of a Sable.
    The Focus is ugly, the 96 Sable was ugly, but so is the Impala, the Malibu, the Cavalier, the Monte Carlo, and the last Caprice was the ugliest of all, IMO. So, chevyguy, why are you even here? It's clear you're a "chevyguy". We wouldn't expect you to like a Ford product.
  • grbeckgrbeck Posts: 2,361
    I agree with nvbanker - Chevy fans are in no position to criticize Ford's styling efforts. The Five Hundred may be too derivative of recent VW/Audi vehicles, but it is not a bad-looking vehicle.
    Yeah, I've noticed too that the new Fords remind me of a Passat inside. Not altogether a bad thing, but not my favorite theme either..... OTOH, the GM stuff, even Cadillac, reminds me of.....well old GM stuff!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    nvbanker, that you havent spent much time in Passats, then.

~alpha
    Just at car shows, alpha. Wouldn't even consider taking one home.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    I've warned everyone around me, if they got a VW/Audi, I was no longer going to speak to them. I'm sick and tired of the "Oh my VW has problems, can you help me"..Then before I know it, I'm spending hours with dealer's, techinicians, phone with HQ's to solve their problems. Granted, I'll do it for the occasional MB, BMW, GM, etc. but when it's solely VW...it becomes tedious real quick.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    there's a Ford Tempo or Pontiuck 600 with your name on it ina junkyard somewhere!

I for one (in MN) am glad to see the mfr's waking up and thinkikng more seriously about AWD.....I am sure they will stick it to us pricewise tho.
  • Comments like: "...why are you even here?"
    &
    "Chevy fans are in no position to criticize Ford's styling efforts" notwithstanding, this discussion is open to all.