Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• grbeckgrbeck Posts: 2,361
    The tail is the weakest part of the Five Hundred...the front and the side look pretty good.
  • What I like about the Five Hundred is it that it shows that Ford is watching the competition in terms of interior material. I don't know what GM or Daimlerchrysler is looking at some times, but the Five Hundred's interior addresses the issue that Detroit can't make a competitive sedan in terms of ride, interior quality, and "craftsmanship". The Five Hundred I saw was from a different Detroit, a different Dearborn. In my view, they have stepped up to the plate.

And really, I can't say I dislike any of Ford's new interiors - except for maybe the Freestar. I just hope Ford can push the bar even more when it comes to Mercury and Lincoln. Those 2 should be at an even higher level than what the Five Hundred is showing us, and I would say the Five Hundred is at a pretty high level already.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    The F-150 was just awarded "best truck interior", by Detroit News. This demonstrates the fact of Ford's promise to triple investment for interior's of all their coming vehicles.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I like the tail more than the front! Go figure!

The front resembles the Focus to me.
    The tail reminds me of an S-Class Mercedes. Sure that'll tick MB off....
    You mean how the Mercedes copied the Ford Granada in 1975, Ant???
    One good turn deserves another :-) I keep saying it, a sedan that's 1/3rd the price of equally looking luxury vehicles, can't beat that bargain Hehehe
    You can probably tell, I'm more interested in the Montego than the 500, as I like the tarted up versions more than the base models.
    This year we will see the Futura debut, the Mercury version (Montclair) should receive similar attention to seperate it from Futura.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    One other thing about "revolutionary" styling. For years BMW's were known for driving dynamics and engineering, not styling. Now, when they introduce "expressive" cars, they are getting heavy criticism.

And regarding "5 year old Passat" knocks, I bet the next generation Passat will be evolutionary like the new Golf that is out in Europe now. And "auto critics" will call it the "best ever", even if it looks similar. I also don't see too many complaints of the VW Pheaton for "looking bland".
    How many more M names can we exhume for Mercury products? I think we're about out! Hopefully Mystique won't come back (mistake is too close).
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    i find the Phaeton a useless pail of garbage that is dull to look at and is twice the price it should be.

there ya go, at least one!

2005 Passat is stylish, you can find spy shots on the net. I'm betting the price goes way up too.

I think the 500 is a nice product but will be sorely missing the 3.5 at launch.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Reg, please don't faint.

I agree with you. I really wish Ford had a more powerful engine also available at launch, and I suspect many others will have the same desire as well.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    showed my brother in law (die hard ford man) the 500 for the first time. He likes it. His first question was if it was a world car (like my sister's focus which they both love) or a US only. I told him its based ont he volvo.

They have taken a couple of vacays in europe and like the european ford models. He thinks the world car concept is the way to go. To a small extent the 500 is a world car.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    They got too busy adding power to truck engines.

If sales don't do well out of the gate, watch the 3.5L magically appear sooner.
    "If sales don't do well out of the gate, watch the 3.5L magically appear sooner. "

Not really possible considering it'll debut on a totally new vehicle first, so that's it's first emphansize. Plus Ford doesn't have an available line to assemble the engine any sooner.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    Tomcat630, true they improved the truck engines, but they are still way behind the competition (Nissan and Dodge). The new Mustang will have good V6 and V8 power, but the heavier F-150 models are underpowered.

Still, as I have said before, the CVT or six speed should make the 500 faster than what you might otherwise think.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    REGARDLESS of transmission, there are limitations to the acceleration that 200 lb. ft. can provide in a sedan which, in base form, weighs more than 3600 lbs, and in AWD form, in excess of 3800lbs.

~alpha
    I really disagree on this paradigm that keep surfacing, about Ford trucks being under powered! I tow cars from Vegas to California and back frequently, and the Baker Grade is one long miserable grade of about 15 miles, and it kills many a car every day. I can drag a car up that grade, and have done, in 124 degrees in 3rd gear with the A/C on at 75 MPH and the needle never moves in cruise control, and the heat needle also never moves. I pass a lot of other rigs pulled over boiling, and just putzing along at 40 MPH all out. Maybe there are more powerful trucks, but I don't NEED any more power than that. And I don't want any more power than I have. The 5.4L motor is exceptional IMO, and plenty powerful for my needs. Sorry for the rant, just couldn't hold it in any longer.
  • Do you notice that Nissan, one of the biggest movers in 2003, has made the following a priority: fun to drive.

The five hundred interrior is great, but it needs 3 things to get me exited,
    1.) manumatic tranny, with the shift it yourself gears, ala ANY nissan and Lincoln LS (so you know ford has it).
    2.) in a car that is supposed to be the new flagship, were is the Navigation system? the Japanese have offered nav systems for years, and now even the low end models in toyota and honda have them. Were is Ford?
    3.) 270 hp top of the line engine would be nice. Since the Maxima has 265 hp, it would be nice for Ford to tell 'em to go to hell.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Posts: 792
    exalteddragon1: The car you describe has a name - the new Chrysler 300. The larger trunk in the Ford 500 may be a critcal difference for some buyers people like me who do not want another wagon, but want a large car or a medium-sized pickup. In fact, the 2005 Honda car-trunk is also on my short list.

But remember, most of the Accords, Camrys, Altimas, and so forth sold are equipped with the base engine. The 500 will compete well against them and against the non-supercharged Buicks, Pontiacs, Pontiacs, Chevys, and the Crown Victoria.

However, for buyers who want more power, the 500 with the initial 3.0 V6 will have a tough time competing against cars like the Maxima, G35, Camry SE, ES330, Impala SS, the supercharged GM cars, and the Chrysler 300s with the bigger engines.
    I think ex has a point on the Nav system.....It's not a deal breaker for me, but it is for lots of folks I know. They are now of the opinion that no car should be made without at least having it as an option. I thought it did.....
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    It's amazing that the Mazda 3 has Nav and Xenon available, but the Five Hundred apparently will not. Go figure...
    Exactly.....but it may have something to do with the projected market for this car, vs. the Mazda. For example, since most people who buy Town Cars are in their 60's, it's somewhat of a challenge to find a base model with the audiophile system installed. At least it was a few years ago, when my buddy wanted to buy one. This happened twice to him. While he and I would think a Lincoln would have it all, most of the buyers of the T/C either can't hear anymore, or only listen to AM I guess, and don't use a CD changer, etc. So, my point is, I guess Ford isn't figuring buyers of the 500 will want navigation? I think not having it as an option is a mistake though.
  • I will not buy anything from DC because they lied to the public about the merger and instead make Crysler an "arm" of Diamler.
    If it was a real merger tho, or if crysler remained all american, I would defenetly look into this product, i love RWD V-8's. But I will think of more than myself when I make a car purchase.
    Not only do they have a german car center, but now they are occupying detriot. Those bastards can sell cars in hell for all I care.
  • setzersetzer Posts: 127
    okay I'm confused. Is the Five Hundered and Montego the replacement for the Crown Victoria and the Grand Marquis? If not, those two sedans need a huge re-design if they actually want to sale.
  • are not being repaced by the Five Hundred or the Montego. Each of these cars are sandwiched in between others. Taurus/Five Hundred/Crown Vic - Sable/Montego/Gr. Marquis.
    The following will give you a clue to the future of the Crown Vic & Gr. Marquis.
    http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0401/29/autos-49664.htm
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,108
    Most modern cars have the temperature gauge calibrated so that there is a 20-30 degree range over which the gauge will read dead center. I've never seen mine rise above that, no matter the conditions. I infer that, due to this and other modern technology, new cars overheat less often, but with less warning, than older models.

Back on topic, I don't really care about the nav system. The going rate for those things is way too expensive!
  • Just finished reading many of the posts. Very interesting. Thanks to all of you for posting.

Saw the 500 at the auto show and like the looks. Will have to wait for more engine before I'd consider one though.

Comment to the person that doesn't like DC. You really thought they were merging? It appeared to me, from the start, it was a purchase. On the plus side, my DC car (a PT GT) is the best assembled car I have ever purchased. Much better than my Acura or Toyota. No, I don't like that the profits go to Germany, but at least a lot of our people still have jobs.

As one that listens to AM radio news in the car, one that finds the super car sound systems useless, I do find a nav system almost essential. Having had one for a couple of years I wouldn't want to purchase a car without one. Agree the prices are still too high (the lowest I've seen is about $1200 from DC) for a built in one.